HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Justin Schultz

Old
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. Despite everyone blaiming Nick for everything, Justin has often been the worse of the 2. A better partner would definitely make it easier on him though
No, incorrect. Watch the games. Nick Schultz has been an atrocity for a player who is supposed to be a calm, stay at home Dman that can help out the younger guy. A good many of the early minuses for that duo was simply N Schultz getting owned, trapped, or being generally horrid. Nick makes a lot more bone head plays than the rookie.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. Despite everyone blaiming Nick for everything, Justin has often been the worse of the 2. A better partner would definitely make it easier on him though
I think the issue is that we are seeing defensive mistakes from J. Schultz that in all honesty we probably expected. Nick Schultz is not a good enough player to be able to cover for those mistakes.

I'm surprised they've never tried Smid with J. Schultz. Seems like a natural fit to me.

Smid-J. Schultz
Whitney-Petry
N. Schultz-Fistric

Although then I guess you run into the problem of wanting Smid out against other teams top lines and having J. Schultz with him.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:08 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Klefbom's health is a concern though and he might spend portion of the season in AHL.. Having said that.. I have no doubt that he'll be a NHL regular by the end of next season..

Too bad Marincin did not get a taste of NHL this year due to our depth on D and lack of injuries (knock on wood).. Marincin-Gernat should be a good pairing in AHL for us next season...
there is a lot of talk that gernat will be sent to europe next year, rather than throw him to the wolves in the AHL... some are saying that he is still too raw for the AHL

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:11 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Assuming nuge signs the 6 or 7 year 6 million contract like ebs and hall did this summer.

What does Justin S sign for this summer?
i don't think you'll see either of them sign this summer actually... RNH is having a bit of a down year and it likely injured.... schultz is a rookie and thus is making rookie mistakes, his boxcar numbers will almost certainly be better next season

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i don't think you'll see either of them sign this summer actually... RNH is having a bit of a down year and it likely injured.... schultz is a rookie and thus is making rookie mistakes, his boxcar numbers will almost certainly be better next season
Yes, I think it would make more sense for both of these guys to sign next season.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No, incorrect. Watch the games. Nick Schultz has been an atrocity for a player who is supposed to be a calm, stay at home Dman that can help out the younger guy. A good many of the early minuses for that duo was simply N Schultz getting owned, trapped, or being generally horrid. Nick makes a lot more bone head plays than the rookie.
Anyone who watched a lot of Oiler games this season would have to agree with you here. It's kinda funny actually because when the season started I assumed Kreuger paired the Schultz's together because Nick was one of the better defensive guys on the team and he could cover for Justin anytime he was caught out of position. I figured having Nick as a partner would give Justin more freedom to jump into the play more.

From watching the pair so far this season I've noticed it's actually the opposite. It seems to me that Nick has been the guy caught out of position far more often than Justin with the younger Schultz having to cover for his veteran partner. I don't know how many times Nick has pinched in this year only to end up getting caught and having Justin, Gagner or Hemsky having to cover for him. This wouldn't even bother me too much only for Nick has pretty much zero offensive IQ.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think the issue is that we are seeing defensive mistakes from J. Schultz that in all honesty we probably expected. Nick Schultz is not a good enough player to be able to cover for those mistakes.

I'm surprised they've never tried Smid with J. Schultz. Seems like a natural fit to me.

Smid-J. Schultz
Whitney-Petry
N. Schultz-Fistric

Although then I guess you run into the problem of wanting Smid out against other teams top lines and having J. Schultz with him.
I agree 100 percent. Smid would be perfect for Schultz, yet I think I've seen them paired together for maybe 3 shifts all year.

As for Schultz being out there against top competition, consider me a firm believer that the best defence is a good offence. You can't win 0-0, but you can win 7-6.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

One thing I've noticed about Justin Schultz in recent games is how quickly he can change direction. The Dale Wiese segment being the prime example.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote