HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
  #276
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
One of Johansson's biggest champions hates low compete level, zero physical presence, poor d zone play and missing wide open nets. What a world we live in.
In what world does Marcus Johansson not compete? Sure he may not have size but he tries. More than can be said for Wolski.

There is a clear reason why WW keeps getting shifted from team to team only to become a healthy scratch.

Keep hating on MJ as he keeps piling up the points and becomes more and more of a noticable force out there.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
  #277
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'd prefer to keep the one more likely to become a good hockey player, given the choice, but that's just me.
So Forsberg then...?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:59 PM
  #278
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah but that doesn't mean squat to me. This is the same group who kept Eminger around for half a season as an 18 year old while getting him into 17 games.

Player development is not this organization's forte IMO...
Is the Emminger case going to forever taint our developmental reputation? Our other d-men have been nurtured pretty reasonably.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
  #279
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In what world does Marcus Johansson not compete? Sure he may not have size but he tries. More than can be said for Wolski.

There is a clear reason why WW keeps getting shifted from team to team only to become a healthy scratch.

Keep hating on MJ as he keeps piling up the points and becomes more and more of a noticable force out there.
Piling up points with Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't impress me all that much. One of the biggest pukes in NHL history played at a 50+ point pace for two years with that tandem. I suppose you're free to believe that he's the missing piece to the Backstrom/Ovi puzzle. But I consider him to be more like a half as effective James Neal in that spot.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  #280
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
One of Johansson's biggest champions hates low compete level, zero physical presence, poor d zone play and missing wide open nets. What a world we live in.
Umm, MoJo has been one of their better players since returning from injury. In fact he's been better than Ribs the last week.

Wolski blows. He's the forward version of 55.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  #281
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Is the Emminger case going to forever taint our developmental reputation? Our other d-men have been nurtured pretty reasonably.
It will continue to taint the Caps' player development rep until people on this board learn to spell Eminger...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  #282
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
It will continue to taint the Caps' player development rep until people on this board learn to spell Eminger...
People might just be mixing up Eminger with Morrrrisssssonnnnnn.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:07 PM
  #283
kicksavedave
yeahright
 
kicksavedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine CA
Country: United States
Posts: 648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Piling up points with Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't impress me all that much. One of the biggest pukes in NHL history played at a 50+ point pace for two years with that tandem. I suppose you're free to believe that he's the missing piece to the Backstrom/Ovi puzzle. But I consider him to be more like a half as effective James Neal in that spot.
Heh, just curious which puke you're referring to here? I can't remember all the meatheads they've thrown out there.

kicksavedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:11 PM
  #284
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
I don't think Johansson has a higher compete level than Wolski (whose compete level is underestimated somewhat anyway). Perreault, who is often grouped with Johansson, has a great compete level.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
  #285
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Heh, just curious which puke you're referring to here? I can't remember all the meatheads they've thrown out there.
Playoff ghost Viktor Kozlov.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
  #286
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Piling up points with Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't impress me all that much. One of the biggest pukes in NHL history played at a 50+ point pace for two years with that tandem. I suppose you're free to believe that he's the missing piece to the Backstrom/Ovi puzzle. But I consider him to be more like a half as effective James Neal in that spot.
Oh geez, the MJ haters will find any excuse to bash the kid. So it's not enough that he's playing well as a young and still developing kid, now he has to prove it on a 3rd line. And if he does it on the second line it will be because Erat is making it easy for him. The plays I've seen the past few games have little to do with his line mates, they are on an individual basis impressive. Maybe, just maybe, you might be fair and notice that the offensive resurgence of OV and NB bas coincided with his placement on the first line.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:17 PM
  #287
bgroban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Piling up points with Backstrom and Ovechkin doesn't impress me all that much. One of the biggest pukes in NHL history played at a 50+ point pace for two years with that tandem. I suppose you're free to believe that he's the missing piece to the Backstrom/Ovi puzzle. But I consider him to be more like a half as effective James Neal in that spot.
Are you referring to Marcus Johansson, the 22 year-old?

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:19 PM
  #288
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Are you referring to Marcus Johansson, the 22 year-old?
When do you imagine he will add the strength to not be bounced off the puck so easily? 25? 27? 30?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
  #289
bgroban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
When do you imagine he will add the strength to not be bounced off the puck so easily? 25? 27? 30?
During the past three seasons, he has gone from .391 to .575 to .652 points per game. You cannot deny his steady improvement. So he still gets pushed around a little bit. Big deal. It happens.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
  #290
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So Forsberg then...?
He's certainly the safer guy to bet on. I get that subbing Wilson for Forsberg in the deal might not work, I just have trouble with the org prioritizing Wilson (if they are) due to the style he plays. That seems to be putting the cart before the horse until you know what you have in terms of reaching the NHL.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:32 PM
  #291
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
I don't think Johansson has a higher compete level than Wolski (whose compete level is underestimated somewhat anyway). Perreault, who is often grouped with Johansson, has a great compete level.
Really? Perhaps you'd like to poll fans of Colorado, Phoenix and the Rags to see if his compete level is "underestimated"?

The guy flat out doesn't show up and wants no part of paying the physical price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
Oh geez, the MJ haters will find any excuse to bash the kid. So it's not enough that he's playing well as a young and still developing kid, now he has to prove it on a 3rd line. And if he does it on the second line it will be because Erat is making it easy for him. The plays I've seen the past few games have little to do with his line mates, they are on an individual basis impressive. Maybe, just maybe, you might be fair and notice that the offensive resurgence of OV and NB bas coincided with his placement on the first line.
Brooklyn can't do that. He has long ago made up his mind that MJ sucks. Any notion that MJ is actually good would mean that Brooklyn has to admit he was wrong and it seems like he is having problems doing so to be perfectly honest.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:35 PM
  #292
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
During the past three seasons, he has gone from .391 to .575 to .652 points per game. You cannot deny his steady improvement. So he still gets pushed around a little bit. Big deal. It happens.
I sure hope McPhee doesn't count seasons like you do when he extends him.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
  #293
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
He's certainly the safer guy to bet on. I get that subbing Wilson for Forsberg in the deal might not work, I just have trouble with the org prioritizing Wilson (if they are) due to the style he plays. That seems to be putting the cart before the horse until you know what you have in terms of reaching the NHL.
I would rank Wilson higher too based on the season he is having and the leaps he's made. Prior to that, without his leap, he was drafted high for the very fact that players with the kind of potential are rare. When was the last time we had a true power forward in the mold of a Lucic or Neely?

Guys that can throw down and play are rare..VERY rare. Wilson can hit like a truck too from what I hear.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:45 PM
  #294
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
I would rank Wilson higher too based on the season he is having and the leaps he's made. Prior to that, without his leap, he was drafted high for the very fact that players with the kind of potential are rare. When was the last time we had a true power forward in the mold of a Lucic or Neely?

Guys that can throw down and play are rare..VERY rare. Wilson can hit like a truck too from what I hear.
All that is fine, once you know he's going to make it as a scorer. But his floor is much lower. He could end up a career AHLer. Forsberg's floor is like fringy scoring NHLer, not-quite-top-6er; he was always the safe guy who's ceiling was more questionable.

Saying Wilson = Lucic in terms of an asset is just wishful thinking for a few years at least. So putting him ahead of Forsberg for that reason right now is jumping the gun.

Put another way: if they both hit their absolute ceilings, I take Forsberg (Perry > Lucic). If they both stagnate at their floors, I also take Forsberg. So just because you feel like you need a Wilson type more than a Forsberg type isn't enough to say he's more important right now.

It's fine to say you want a certain player to fit a certain role. But the priority still needs to be amassing as many good players as you can.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:49 PM
  #295
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,146
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Really? Perhaps you'd like to poll fans of Colorado, Phoenix and the Rags to see if his compete level is "underestimated"?

The guy flat out doesn't show up and wants no part of paying the physical price.
Some guys don't look like they're trying because of how they play, skate, etc. You really think Wolski, fighting both to stay in the lineup and to save his NHL career, is going out and just deciding not to compete? Anyway I said it was underestimated, not high. I think you're exaggerating Johansson's and underrating Wolski's. He and Johansson both do suffer from their relative unwillingness to get dirty and put themselves in physical danger. In Johansson's case, he's had concussions and I can totally understand his wariness...however, its negative impact on his game is the same whether it's understandable or not. Perreault is smaller and more vulnerable than Johansson and is a lot more willing to put himself in danger and battle physically.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
  #296
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Wish we had someone like kozlov back. Guy could gain the zone and protect the puck like no one else. Yeah he's washed up now but watching mojo drop pass and peel off every time is infuriating

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
  #297
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 500
anyone thinks goalies spilt games this weekend in FLA

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
  #298
noptov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mclean, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 99
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
anyone thinks goalies spilt games this weekend in FLA
Naw, Neuvy will sprain his ankle getting out of bed.

noptov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:54 PM
  #299
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,347
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
In what world does Marcus Johansson not compete? Sure he may not have size but he tries. More than can be said for Wolski.

There is a clear reason why WW keeps getting shifted from team to team only to become a healthy scratch.

Keep hating on MJ as he keeps piling up the points and becomes more and more of a noticable force out there.
Mojo could use a rigorous weight training program in the offseason. Adding even 5 lbs of extra muscle will help him a lot.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:55 PM
  #300
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Wish we had someone like kozlov back. Guy could gain the zone and protect the puck like no one else. Yeah he's washed up now but watching mojo drop pass and peel off every time is infuriating
Oh you mean like that play against the Islanders when he intentionally shot the puck off the wall, raced after it, and regained possession knowing he would be hit. I can post it to you tube if you can't remember it.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.