HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/TB] Ben Bishop traded to Tampa Bay for Cory Conacher and 4th round pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 08:04 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
IWC Veteran

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Alright guys - let's cut some of the sarcasm out of this discussion and move on.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:49 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Bishop is the answer for Tampa. I'm proud of him.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i think the main reason sens fans were happy with the trade is because we got a good young player now, rather than some 2nd round pick.

I mean, we traded martin havlat in 2006 for tom preissing (6th dman for a year), josh hennessy (C prospect who busted), and a 2nd (patrick wiercioch - who's just paying off this year, 7 years later).
Whoa now! Don't forget Michal Barinka.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 AM
palindrom

But, but..... with the new realignment, Tampa and Ottawa will play in the same division!

dont Ottawa fear that Bishop will haunt them for the next decade, what if Ottawa meets Tampa in the playoff?

Why didnt they trade Bishop for a lower offer, but outside the division instead?

big mistake!

Old
04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
But, but..... with the new realignment, Tampa and Ottawa will play in the same division!

dont Ottawa fear that Bishop will haunt them for the next decade, what if Ottawa meets Tampa in the playoff?

Why didnt they trade Bishop for a lower offer, but outside the division instead?

big mistake!
the lower offers were zach rinaldo and ryan freaking jones.

pretty easy decision.

a better question is whether edmonton and philly will one day regret not trading eberle and couturier for bishop.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Tap on the Ankle
expert analysis

Quote:

big mistake!
If Bishop becomes a top 5 goalie in the league we'd still have to get through him (or some other, better goaltenders) to win the Cup, regardless of whether he is in the East or West.

A bigger mistake would have been not taking the best offer for Bishop just to trade him outside the division.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Do Make Say Think
d00 da Bieber

BPA applies to trades as well

Old
04-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Walter Kovacs
McJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
a better question is whether edmonton and philly will one day regret not trading eberle and couturier for bishop.
That's not a question at all, Eberle is a cornerstone of this team and he wants to be here and well Bishop has played good he is far from a proven number one goalie which is the only thing that would get the Oil to even thinking about trading Eberle. Eberle was not going to Ottawa for Bishop unless there was a massive overpayment coming back. Dubnyk has put up decent numbers this year and has played well. If the price for Bishop was Eberle i would much rather have Dubie, heck as of right now i'd rather have Dubie anyways it's not like if Edmonton did get Bishop he would step in and be the number one.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
TSA0402

Quote:

big mistake!
Valid point, but Ottawa added an equally potentially dangerous player. Ryan Jones, is not a potentially dangerous player. I could see Conacher haunt the Lightning just as much.

But it is a fair point, if I said I wasnt worried about Bishop becoming a stud goalie, I would be lying through my teeth.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:15 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Bishop is the answer for Tampa. I'm proud of him.
Looks like it, I hope they make the playoffs and play the Sens in the first round.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Kezia
Benny

Hopefully Bishop takes away a top 5 pick from Tampa.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:51 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Looks like it, I hope they make the playoffs and play the Sens in the first round.
That would be super epic.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Hopefully Bishop takes away a top 5 pick from Tampa.
Hope so. I'd gladly give up a potential top pick if Bishop plays that well.

Old
04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Kezia
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
Hope so. I'd gladly give up a potential top pick if Bishop plays that well.
Its actually worth it. Sens got Craig-Anderson'd 2 years ago and Anderson + Zibby > top 3 pick... so far anyways.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Caje

Conacher is looking great in his debut for the Sens.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:45 PM
detredWINgs

Bishop is posting some pretty-looking stats with Tampa Bay after his 4th game tonight: .944 SV%, 2.02 GAA

Could this kid be the real deal for Tampa?

Old
04-09-2013, 09:47 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

I wish I could take back the hour or so I was upset about the trade. Bish has been amazing and while I love Conacher I haven't really missed him.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:00 PM
burgess1978

This trade was also about doing the right thing by the player. Ben Bishop could have become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2011-2012 season but agreed to an extension as part of the Ottawa acquisition. Now that he has proven himself at the NHL level Murray has repaid him by trading him to a team where he can compete for the top job. Sure - if a way better offer was on the table they would have taken it, but the Sens did the right thing by Bishop here.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:32 AM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
This trade was also about doing the right thing by the player. Ben Bishop could have become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2011-2012 season but agreed to an extension as part of the Ottawa acquisition. Now that he has proven himself at the NHL level Murray has repaid him by trading him to a team where he can compete for the top job. Sure - if a way better offer was on the table they would have taken it, but the Sens did the right thing by Bishop here.
Ummm....there was no better offer than Conacher coming. This trade was about Tampa filling an organizational need, and then Ottawa jumping all over a trade no one in their right mind would refuse.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:36 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I'm thrilled that we're getting Conacher, especially in light of the fact that Bishop had no real future here, but Tampa did NOT get screwed here. They got a goalie who, if they traded for earlier in the year, I think could have saved their season. He might still.
Still entirely agree with this sentiment. Great game from Bish tonight and he will keep doing it. People forget he had the best production of all Senator goalies.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:39 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Great to see Bishop doing so well still. He didn't have to be fantastic tonight, but he was solid. Both goals allowed were scored while the puck was in the crease and one was a very weird bounce.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
I wish I could take back the hour or so I was upset about the trade. Bish has been amazing and while I love Conacher I haven't really missed him.
Obviously small sample size, but I continue to think Bishop is the real deal and will be a really good goalie in this league. Having watched him all season (and some of last season), he is not the product of the Senators system. He is legitimately good.

Crossing my fingers for him, and indirectly the Lightning and their fans!

Old
04-10-2013, 09:14 AM
SenateReform

This is a great example of a win-win trade.

Both teams are better after the trade IMO.

I really like the way Connacher plays, the kid is always moving his feet and trying to make something happen. Bishop is a stud and I think he'll be a top 15 goalie for the next few seasons at least.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:19 AM
StuckOutHere

I was sad to see him leave St. Louis even though we had the depth we had. The guy is going to be a good goalie in this league. Always thought that.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Looks like the Senators may have shot themselves in the foot. A win last night would've been huge given that they're on the playoff bubble.

Closed Thread