HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
So.. essentially this amounts to:

Bobrovsky (2.13 GAA, .927 sv%) + a 3rd

for

Mason (2.95 GAA, .899 sv%) + a 2nd and 2 4ths

Sounds like a terrible trade
Yup, Columbus hasn't had a goalie to be this excited about since..... Steve Mason.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
What?

That's not what I'm saying at all? I was merely saying that Stolarz looks like a great prospect. He probably won't even play in the nhl for a few years, but if he becomes what it looks like he has the ability to become right now, we might be talking about this trade in a different tone...
It was a joke. Lol. Just talking about how it would be the Flyers' luck and bad management.

MayonnaiseOreo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
It was a joke. Lol. Just talking about how it would be the Flyers' luck and bad management.
Ah I see. Carry on then.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:30 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Gotta say don't know how we are winning with this defense. That being said though credit where it's due. The team has done a fantastic job with their defensive play. Don't know how they changed it but they did.

Want to give a shout out to Huskins though. Seriously I didn't like the signing but the guy has been sound back there. Not flashy but does his job and barely turns it over.

Gustafsson has played extemely well both offensively and defensively the last 3 games. Glad to see his confidence back.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Curufinwe

Huskins > Coburn.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Huskins > Coburn.
Co ... BURN!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
They would have gone for a Luongo or another big fish if they had already decided on buying out Bryzgalov. Mason means nothing to the Bryz situation.
IF Briere remains injured in the offseason, we can't buy him out and might need to buy our Bryz to get under the cap enough to sign a D or take on his contract (however acquired).

If Bryz stays for the start of next year, they can still buy him out at any time, so if Mason gets his game together and flourishes, they might buy Bryz out then and sign a vet to play with Mason.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Invictus146

Did a brief search - I don't know if this issue was really delved into yet but, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mason's contract is at $2.9 million and RFA. Assuming the Flyers qualify him, the value of the qualifying offer cannot >15% less than his previous contract, which in this case implies ~$2.5 million.

Either way, with the other cap issues this team is having, I read this situation as either a 3rd round pick for an audition period (in which case Bryz is gone) or a 3rd round pick for a temporary backup

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:04 AM
ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus146 View Post
Did a brief search - I don't know if this issue was really delved into yet but, correct me if I'm wrong.

Mason's contract is at $2.9 million and RFA. Assuming the Flyers qualify him, the value of the qualifying offer cannot >15% less than his previous contract, which in this case implies ~$2.5 million.

Either way, with the other cap issues this team is having, I read this situation as either a 3rd round pick for an audition period (in which case Bryz is gone) or a 3rd round pick for a temporary backup
IIRC, it's not a qualifying offer if it's a straight up contract offer. They can sign him before the offseason to a lower cap-hit+salary, I figure.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:12 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus146 View Post

Mason can sign for whatever amount he wants. The qualifying offer is just so we retain his rights and becomes a RFA not a UFA if we cant re-sign him by July 1st (or whatever day it is this year)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
IF Briere remains injured in the offseason, we can't buy him out and might need to buy our Bryz to get under the cap enough to sign a D or take on his contract (however acquired).

If Bryz stays for the start of next year, they can still buy him out at any time, so if Mason gets his game together and flourishes, they might buy Bryz out then and sign a vet to play with Mason.
I think the plan is to give Mason the Corey Schneider treatment next year. Mason will understand his role as a back up, and Reese can work with him closely. Give Mason 20-25 starts, see what he can do. If he really impresses, they can be confident in buying out Bryz in 2014...just in time to resign our young guys.

To buyout Bryz this offseason and hope for the best with Mason would just be another face palm.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think the plan is to give Mason the Corey Schneider treatment next year. Mason will understand his role as a back up, and Reese can work with him closely. Give Mason 20-25 starts, see what he can do. If he really impresses, they can be confident in buying out Bryz in 2014...just in time to resign our young guys.

To buyout Bryz this offseason and hope for the best with Mason would just be another face palm.
I think this makes more sense. There no one we'd really like to sign this offseason anyway with the cap space. Get rid of Danny and that'll be good for now.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:44 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

for

Hindsight is always 20/20

From the guy who did not want Bob traded.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Tripod

Quote:

for

Except that Bob was 3.02 GAA and a .899 sv% with us his last year. And played in 7 playoff games with no wins. And that the 2nd pick has turned into a good goalie prospect.

In the end, Philly traded Bob so he could have a chance at a #1 job. Good for him for playing well. Always liked him. I really thaink that if Pronger was hurt in the playoffs before hand, Philly keeps Bob and never signs Bryz and really goes younger. The Pronger injury changed everything, especially after trading 3 1st's to get him.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
ahthorne

Well, the two prospects from the Bob trade are Stolarz and Leier. Both decent looking players, and I think Stolarz shows a lot of promise.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I think Mason will do fine here in Philly, Columbus put too much pressure on him at an early age. Good trade...Leighton 31 yrs old for Mason 24 yr old, sounds good to me.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I think Mason will do fine here in Philly, Columbus put too much pressure on him at an early age. Good trade...Leighton 31 yrs old for Mason 24 yr old, sounds good to me.
Philly is a synonym for pressure especially when talking about goalies. Talking to jackets fans he still has confidence/mental issues so unless things drastically change he won't turn it around here. I would think Columbus would be a perfect fit for him but evidently it wasn't. Who knows what a change of scenery will do for him but I'm not holding my breath.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Kigetsi

So when will he destroy our chances for playoffs?

Kigetsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:24 PM
mantis toboggan

Hell I probly would have traded a 3rd just to get leighton the **** off this team. Mason is just extra

mantis toboggan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:03 PM
sauce88

How good is Mason's puck handling? It would be nice if the goalie could take some pressure off of the D, especially with the way it is, if he could handle the puck well.

sauce88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigetsi View Post
Bryz hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire as of late either. Anyway I would assume Mason gets a start after we lose a game.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kigetsi View Post
Those chances were destroyed about a month or two ago when the season started.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:45 AM
ugiswrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
His salary will come down next season. I'd expect him to sign a cheap one year contract, something between 1.1 - 1.6M.
God I'll be pissed if he gets 2 yr 4 mil which i could also see

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:00 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So we traded Bob partly bc he was an expensive backup...now we are going to pay this pasty white scarecrow in net the equivalent. Also, yeah Mason is young and may be salvageable but I have my doubts he will become consistently good. If anybody can be called a fringe starter I think it is Mason and not Bob especially since Bob is already proving his meddle...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:04 AM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
So we traded Bob partly bc he was an expensive backup...now we are going to pay this pasty white scarecrow in net the equivalent. Also, yeah Mason is young and may be salvageable but I have my doubts he will become consistently good. If anybody can be called a fringe starter I think it is Mason and not Bob especially since Bob is already proving his meddle...
I thought we traded Bob because he didn't wanna sit behind Bryz for 8 years.

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote