HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Postseason Lines Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
  #201
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
They gotta put Bennett in. Even when he's in a checking role, I love his game.
Agreed. He does everything right/responsibly. But at this point, it looks like he won't even be called up.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Kennedy/Adams

Is a really solid line up. That 3rd line is really solid defensively and is still an offensive threat.

People need to stop pegging Dupuis on the top two lines 'because he deserves it'. The Penguins are trying to win the Cup, and putting a guy like Dupuis on may be best for the team.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
  #202
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Agreed. He does everything right/responsibly. But at this point, it looks like he won't even be called up.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Kennedy/Adams

Is a really solid line up. That 3rd line is really solid defensively and is still an offensive threat.

People need to stop pegging Dupuis on the top two lines 'because he deserves it'. The Penguins are trying to win the Cup, and putting a guy like Dupuis on may be best for the team.
Maybe Dupuis on the top 6 makes the team better.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:56 PM
  #203
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Maybe Dupuis on the top 6 makes the team better.
maybe. I'd love to try out some other potential Geno lines so we have as many bad possibilities out of the way as possible when Sid comes back. And I'd love to never see Morrow on the third line again.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
  #204
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,345
vCash: 500
Dupuis-Sid-Iggy.

Sid will have an elite RW to work plays with. Someone who can set him up as well as finish off plays with the best of them. Dupuis is perfect as a third wheel with them. He's all hustle on the forecheck and backcheck.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal.

It's proven. Kuni is a great third wheel for them. Best line in the league last year gets reunited to face off against secondary matchups in the playoffs.

The bottom six has a ridiculous amount of options. If Morrow or Cooke need replaced on Sutter's line, we have Jokinen, TK and Bennett who can step up.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:00 PM
  #205
SteelFish87*
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Agreed. He does everything right/responsibly. But at this point, it looks like he won't even be called up.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Kennedy/Adams

Is a really solid line up. That 3rd line is really solid defensively and is still an offensive threat.

People need to stop pegging Dupuis on the top two lines 'because he deserves it'. The Penguins are trying to win the Cup, and putting a guy like Dupuis on may be best for the team.
agree with this. also ok with Cooke on 3rd line instead of Bennett if Bylsma is too ***** to play him. He needs to stop catering to Dupuis and put him on the 3rd line

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
  #206
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Dupuis-Sid-Iggy.

Sid will have an elite RW to work plays with. Someone who can set him up as well as finish off plays with the best of them. Dupuis is perfect as a third wheel with them. He's all hustle on the forecheck and backcheck.

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal.

It's proven. Kuni is a great third wheel for them. Best line in the league last year gets reunited to face off against secondary matchups in the playoffs.

The bottom six has a ridiculous amount of options. If Morrow or Cooke need replaced on Sutter's line, we have Jokinen, TK and Bennett who can step up.
This would be my plan if we refuse to call up Bennett I think. But I really don't like the 3rd line options in that case. Bennett should be in this damn line-up even if its on the third line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
  #207
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
agree with this. also ok with Cooke on 3rd line instead of Bennett if Bylsma is too ***** to play him. He needs to stop catering to Dupuis and put him on the 3rd line
See this is the kind of attitude I don't get. Some of you are acting like Dupuis playing in the top 6 has somehow been bringing down the team. This is why I get the impression some of you just dislike him.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
  #208
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
See this is the kind of attitude I don't get. Some of you are acting like Dupuis playing in the top 6 has somehow been bringing down the team. This is why I get the impression some of you just dislike him.
I absolutely love Pascal Dupuis. He might be my favorite Penguin. And I think the best possible line-up we can create would have him on the 3rd line.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
  #209
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I absolutely love Pascal Dupuis. He might be my favorite Penguin. And I think the best possible line-up we can create would have him on the 3rd line.
Maybe you specifically don't feel that way, but some of the other fans on this board must close their eyes whenever he's on the ice. Really don't get why he's so badly underrated.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:19 PM
  #210
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
See this is the kind of attitude I don't get. Some of you are acting like Dupuis playing in the top 6 has somehow been bringing down the team. This is why I get the impression some of you just dislike him.
This is called projecting. You're assuming others must feel and act the way you do.

Most of us are actually able to say "Pascal Dupuis would be the league's best 3rd liner" because we're removing emotion from the equation, not because we're adding it in.

xxx - Crosby - Iginla

xxx - Malkin - Neal

xxx - Sutter - Dupuis

is 3 the best C - RW trio in the entire NHL. And it has the chance of creating the "best 1st line" "best 2nd line" and "best 3rd line" in the NHL, all on the same team. Pascal Dupuis is a vital part of this team, and suggesting that moving him to the 3rd line is, if you can remove emotion from it, a compliment to him, not an insult.

Edit: and the best part is: you know what Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis brings, so if we're all wrong, if the Iggy/Neal/Dupuis setup isn't the best fit for the team, you can always fall back on KCD. Since they know what that line brings, they should be actively looking for the best possible combinations now, and worrying about falling back on the tried and true later.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:27 PM
  #211
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
I seem to remember hearing that Dupuis and Geno haven't played well together. But I don't remember it being tried in quite a long time.

Would it be a ridiculous thing to try Dupuis - Geno - Neal? He's a pretty solid puck retriever himself. It's stuck in my mind that they don't play well together. But I think Dupuis is a different player than he was a few years ago, and I don't think James Neal was on the other side of it.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  #212
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
You remember correct: Dupuis and Geno don't mix the way he and Kunitz did.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
  #213
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
This is called projecting. You're assuming others must feel and act the way you do.

Most of us are actually able to say "Pascal Dupuis would be the league's best 3rd liner" because we're removing emotion from the equation, not because we're adding it in.

xxx - Crosby - Iginla

xxx - Malkin - Neal

xxx - Sutter - Dupuis

is 3 the best C - RW trio in the entire NHL. And it has the chance of creating the "best 1st line" "best 2nd line" and "best 3rd line" in the NHL, all on the same team. Pascal Dupuis is a vital part of this team, and suggesting that moving him to the 3rd line is, if you can remove emotion from it, a compliment to him, not an insult.

Edit: and the best part is: you know what Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis brings, so if we're all wrong, if the Iggy/Neal/Dupuis setup isn't the best fit for the team, you can always fall back on KCD. Since they know what that line brings, they should be actively looking for the best possible combinations now, and worrying about falling back on the tried and true later.
So because I realize he's been playing well on the top 6 and has in no way brought the team down, I'm letting emotion cloud my judgement?

Maybe I just disagree with you I find different combinations to be better. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it is to think the only reason Dupuis is on the top 6 is because Bylsma is "catering" to him.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
  #214
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
So because I realize he's been playing well on the top 6 and has in no way brought the team down, I'm letting emotion cloud my judgement?

Maybe I just disagree with you I find different combinations to be better. I was merely pointing out how ridiculous it is to think the only reason Dupuis is on the top 6 is because Bylsma is "catering" to him.
No, because you're unable to disagree without attempting to insult and belittle those who don't share your opinion.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  #215
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
You remember correct: Dupuis and Geno don't mix the way he and Kunitz did.
But when was this? I honestly don't remember the last time they played together.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  #216
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
But when was this?
Your point is valid. Can't hurt to try. It was over 2 seasons ago. The biggest issue is time.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  #217
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,448
vCash: 500
A couple seasons back I think. Not saying it should never be tried again but right now I see no reason for it (once Sid is back).

Dupuis - Sid - Iggy
Kunitz - Geno - Neal

is about ideal IMO.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:44 PM
  #218
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
A couple seasons back I think. Not saying it should never be tried again but right now I see no reason for it (once Sid is back).

Dupuis - Sid - Iggy
Kunitz - Geno - Neal

is about ideal IMO.
what's your third line for that?

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
  #219
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
the two games?

sorry, i didnt see anything out of the ordinary...what did you see that i didnt?

bennett looked muuuuch better.
I know it was a very small sample size, but I personally saw Morrow creating alot just by standing in front of the net. It cleared some room for Geno/Neal as at drew sometimes 2 and even 3 defenders to Morrow in front. He also lifted sticks to get passes through the front of the net.

I like Bennett and think he has a future for this team, but I just think that Morrow created much more than Bennett. Bennett is faster and can get back defensively quicker, but I'd rather have that net front presence with experience in the playoffs.

I don't think that Bennett or Morrow have "looked muuuuch better" than the other, but I just prefer Morrow.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:45 PM
  #220
Karnage420
Registered User
 
Karnage420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I know it was a very small sample size, but I personally saw Morrow creating alot just by standing in front of the net. It cleared some room for Geno/Neal as at drew sometimes 2 and even 3 defenders to Morrow in front. He also lifted sticks to get passes through the front of the net.

I like Bennett and think he has a future for this team, but I just think that Morrow created much more than Bennett. Bennett is faster and can get back defensively quicker, but I'd rather have that net front presence with experience in the playoffs.

I don't think that Bennett or Morrow have "looked muuuuch better" than the other, but I just prefer Morrow.
i saw him draw defenders to the front of the net one time.

once.

one time.

Morrow does not deserve to suck the life out of our second line.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
  #221
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
i saw him draw defenders to the front of the net one time.

once.

one time.

Morrow does not deserve to suck the life out of our second line.
he should end up on the 4th. and Bennett should be on the 2nd. My guess is Morrow ends up on the 3rd and Bennett never plays another game this year.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  #222
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,345
vCash: 500
I trust Sid to be able to learn on the fly with Iggy when he comes back. Both of those guys want to play with one another. They'll get it done.

At this point, reunite, Kunitz-Malkin-Neal and get Geno going. We have a number of options for Sutter. Rotate guys out until you find the right combo.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
  #223
Wickedtune
Registered User
 
Wickedtune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
But when was this? I honestly don't remember the last time they played together.
I want to guess it wad 2009-2010 when they got time together when we had kunitz-crosby- guerin and cooke-staal-kennedy it wad supposed to be talbot-malkin-fedetenko but Talbot had off-season surgery and fedetenko sucked that year so I believe dupuis got a bit of time with malkin that year and it didn't work out to well. Later we got poni. Basically he had a bunch of crap for wingers that year. With Neal on the other side it might be worth trying him as a 3rd wheel on that line if we have a kunitz-crosby-iginla line and they refuse to call Bennett up and other options (morrow or jokinen) don't work.

I still would rather him on the 3rd line and not because I don't like him but because I think it gives us more of a scoring threat lines 1-3 and not just lines 1 & 2. Plus he's a great defensive player if you want that to be the shut down line

Edited because of stupid auto-correct

Wickedtune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:08 PM
  #224
PensFan68
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage420 View Post
i saw him draw defenders to the front of the net one time.

once.

one time.

Morrow does not deserve to suck the life out of our second line.
I saw it multiple times.

not once.

more than once.

IMO, he's perfect for it. But not worth arguing as we clearly disagree.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
  #225
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Maybe Dupuis on the top 6 makes the team better.
I really disagree with this. Setting up your lineup requires putting all of your players in the best possible position to succeed. Putting Morrow with Malkin best utilizes his skillset, as well as Malkin and Neal's. Putting Iginla with Crosby gives the top line a guy we know can finish scoring opportunities and give Crosby some space against top defenses. Dupuis will make an impact on the third because he is such a versatile player.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.