HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Prospect Danny Kristo 2 year deal: Will Report to Hamilton

Old
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Not really the same type of player.

Center vs RW

2 way player vs high end skill player

average speed vs above average speed/quickness
I don't remember Maxwell playing a 2-way game, wasn't he more of a high end skilled playmaker as well?

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:11 AM
DenverHabsFan

vCash: 500
Anybody with the mental fortitude to live in North Dakota has to be special. Looking forward to watch him with the Habs. Will they give him a couple of games before the season is over?

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Tyson

He has developed very nicely, has become stronger, maintained his exceptional speed. The UND program prepared him for pro hockey. It will be fun to see where he ends up. I live in Cedar Park, Texas the home of the Texas Stars and plan on going to the game Saturday. Should be fun to watch the youth.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Nedved

great 2nd round pick. feels like forever since I've watched him in the world juniors, but his game has really matured and should be an effective player for us.

I really respect that he wanted to finish out his college career, that shows me he cares about the bigger picture and, therefore, probably an intelligent guy on and off the ice.

I don't want to hear about his drinking/partying, we've all been there, done that, but he appears to have grown up and is at the end of his final goal, the nhl.

kristo, welcome to the pros, hope you're here for a long, long time.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
He has developed very nicely, has become stronger, maintained his exceptional speed. The UND program prepared him for pro hockey. It will be fun to see where he ends up. I live in Cedar Park, Texas the home of the Texas Stars and plan on going to the game Saturday. Should be fun to watch the youth.
If you go would you mind posting up a quick summary of what you saw? I haven't watched any of his college games, but plan on trying to catch some Bulldogs games (while they last).

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
How does he compare to Ben Maxwell?
He doesn't. Maxwell was always soft and stayed away from the heavy traffic areas, Kristo goes to heavy traffic areas at high speed with the puck. Very different players.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 12:16 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Anybody with the mental fortitude to live in North Dakota has to be special. Looking forward to watch him with the Habs. Will they give him a couple of games before the season is over?
Bergevin, when asked that said it's up to Kristo. If he plays well and there's a spot, they might call him up to see where he's at like they've done with the defensive prospects before is my guess.

Otherwise, he's an intriguing prospect. Probably should have turned pro last year. The closest comparison I've heard that makes sense is TJ Oshie, who he models his game after. If he can do that, I'd be VERY happy. In any case, good little prospect on our hands.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:49 PM
as15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Bergevin, when asked that said it's up to Kristo. If he plays well and there's a spot, they might call him up to see where he's at like they've done with the defensive prospects before is my guess.

Otherwise, he's an intriguing prospect. Probably should have turned pro last year. The closest comparison I've heard that makes sense is TJ Oshie, who he models his game after. If he can do that, I'd be VERY happy. In any case, good little prospect on our hands.
TJ Oshie and Kristo are not comparable at all. Oshie is more physical, and has slightly better hockey sense. Oshie is probably better defensively too. Kristo is substantially faster and more agile, a better shot, and quicker hands, but probably not softer.

as15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

Kristo is the real deal, he's a little too short to be a power forward but 5'11 is enough to cause some damage in the end zone, something lacking in our forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 25-30G next season. He's been dominant in the NCAA and he'll even have time to get AHL experience and maybe a little NHL experience, then he just has to remain busy in the summer and train with some professionals out here and he'll be ready for the big league next year. Gotta love what Timmins is doing out there.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:59 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Zach Parise is 5'11". Its not "Small" but its not "Tall". Its an OK size. Nothing to worry about to be fair.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Kristo is the real deal, he's a little too short to be a power forward but 5'11 is enough to cause some damage in the end zone, something lacking in our forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 25-30G next season. He's been dominant in the NCAA and he'll even have time to get AHL experience and maybe a little NHL experience, then he just has to remain busy in the summer and train with some professionals out here and he'll be ready for the big league next year. Gotta love what Timmins is doing out there.
I would. It took until 22 to be an over PPG player in the NCAA, something Pacioretty did at 20. And Pacioretty struggled plenty to adjust after that.

You know how rare it is for rookies to score 30 goals?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:49 PM
1stLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I would. It took until 22 to be an over PPG player in the NCAA, something Pacioretty did at 20. And Pacioretty struggled plenty to adjust after that.

You know how rare it is for rookies to score 30 goals?
I would be happy if he got 10-15.

1stLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I would be happy if he got 10-15.
Same.

Honestly, I don't see Kristo as more than a 20-25 goal guy at his peak. That's not a bad thing, in fact a bonafide 2nd liner is great. Feel free to mock me if he's more than that, but I will be shocked if he is.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:58 PM
LeMAD

How would he look 5 on 5 at the NHL level? Is he strong enough physically and reliable enough defensively to be a valuable player even if he's not good enough to score 45+ pts per year?

His points total aren't too impressive in college, but he clearly has the hands and speed to play in the big leagues.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:13 PM
macavoy

I'm curious what UFA NCAA prospects have made the jump directly to the NHL in the past?

Edit: what past NHL players have played 4 full years in the NCAA?

Last edited by macavoy: 04-05-2013 at 05:22 PM.
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
How would he look 5 on 5 at the NHL level? Is he strong enough physically and reliable enough defensively to be a valuable player even if he's not good enough to score 45+ pts per year?

His points total aren't too impressive in college, but he clearly has the hands and speed to play in the big leagues.
You have some pretty high standards. Two days ago he had the highest career point total of anyone in college hockey. Tied 2nd in the nation for points this year, one behind the leader. UND also has one of the hardest schedules year in and year out, so it makes what he did even more impressive.

He isn't a liability defensively. He has improved his defense vastly the last couple of years and I expect him to keep improving. He's a threat every time he touches the puck. It's been said a bunch of times that he has great hands and speed. The amazing part to me is his ability to use his hands at top speed. The way he can make a move at top speed mid stride is unreal. I compare him to Nazem Kadri except better defensively and not afraid to go anywhere on the ice. Nazem has blown up this year offensively, but I expect him to come back to earth. Kristo may have that same potential, but who knows. I expect him to make an impact on the Habs as soon as he gets his shot. He makes everyone around him better.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm curious what UFA NCAA prospects have made the jump directly to the NHL in the past?
Jack Johnson, TJ Oshie.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Jack Johnson, TJ Oshie.
Blake Wheeler.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:20 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

I think he means undrafted players.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Same.

Honestly, I don't see Kristo as more than a 20-25 goal guy at his peak. That's not a bad thing, in fact a bonafide 2nd liner is great. Feel free to mock me if he's more than that, but I will be shocked if he is.
If Kristo is a 50-60 point winger.. that's a damn good 2nd rounder.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:23 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think he means undrafted players.
I originally did but changed it to all.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Give this kid a home and he will destroy for his club. Passion. He could have played the money long ago but CHOSE to stay at UND. If we **** this kid away like Leblanc, it would be noted by every UFA/Draft pick on the planet. Embrace the kid, teach, and enjoy. He and Chucky need to meet IMO.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Roulin

The Desjardins NHL equivalency for this Kristo season is 21 goals in 82 games, basically D'Agostini's best season in the NHL. If Kristo could bring that kind of secondary scoring, and some speed on the forecheck, that would be a fantastic success. I guess we'll see soon how his game translates to the pros.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:08 PM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Zach Parise is 5'11". Its not "Small" but its not "Tall". Its an OK size. Nothing to worry about to be fair.
So is Crosby, according to Wikipedia.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
If you go would you mind posting up a quick summary of what you saw? I haven't watched any of his college games, but plan on trying to catch some Bulldogs games (while they last).
Too easy!

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote