HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
It's definitely one of the worst. Kovalchuk, Bryz, and Luongo are the big 3 in that regard. Luongo is at least a better goalie, though.

04-05-2013, 05:55 PM
dawkins121

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's definitely one of the worst. Kovalchuk, Bryz, and Luongo are the big 3 in that regard. Luongo is at least a better goalie, though.
And Kovalchuk is a top 5 winger in the league. Bryz is... below average.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:56 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Who wants to bet well keep winning until we play the Rags and Devils in which our O will net 2-3 goals in each respective game, the BUM will let in 3+ our offense will get blamed for slowing down.
no. when people just look at the numbers and not the actual game, their opinions suck anyway. if we keep playing the way we've been playing tho and bryzgalov lets in crap goals and costs us games there will be no excuse. the team is playing their ***** off in front last couple of games. that's what really sucks about this season is when we were bad, we were friggin horrible. the worst. now all of a sudden were turnin it on and look better than some of the top 8. what happened? we were doggin it all year. new jerseys in a free fall and the rangers could fall out too. i don't like the islanders but they deserve to get in this year so that'd be whacked if we get in and the rangers and devils don't.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:58 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
There have been 4 or 5 games this year where Bryz has given up 2 goals and the team lost. There have been plenty of games this year he has kept this team in the game and they werent able to pull it out. There have been games where the team in front of him just flat out stopped playing and left him out to dry. Tack on a few more games where Bryz stole the game for them. Those games add up far more than the games the team bailed him out.

I dont disagree that Bryz hasnt been sharp the last three games and that his teammates bailed him out a bit (esp against MTL)...but to make it sound like Bryz hasnt had any positive impact on this team this season is a bit ridiculous. Yes, with his contract, amnestying him should be in question...but the amount of hate this guy gets is unbelievable.
Plenty of games? I would argue only for around 10 or so games, not even half the games the Flyers have played this year.

There have also been plenty of games where Bryz was brutal. The defense has not been that bad. It has been good enough, especially lately. Plus, Bryz bailing out the team earlier in the year is par for the course with all the games the rest of the team bailed him out of last season. Actually, he still hasn't paid all that back yet IMO.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:08 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Are you serious???? Build around Bryzgalov??? That might have been the funniest things I have heard.

I am dumbfounded that there are people still defending this guy and I cannot wait till he is bought out this summer. It's been said on other Flyer boards that the Bryz contract might be the worst UFA contract ever given out.
Yeah we already have done enough when it comes to adjusting around Bryz with bringing in guys like Schenn and Grossmann and bringing in Patterson to help with tweaking the defense. The guys giving us average results at best so far through his two years here. Combine that with his contract and his age it's getting to be that time where you just have to pull the plug.

I'm all for keeping Bryz around next year but its not because I'm confident in him to turn it around. The way I see it is we still have another year to make the choice, there's no other clear cut options out there, and we're already paying him anyway so we might as well get another year out of him.

If anything we should continue building depth in our prospect pool at all positions and hope the next goalie we bring in can right the ship.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-05-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 06:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah we already have done enough when it comes to adjusting around Bryz with bringing in guys like Schenn and Grossmann and bringing in Patterson to help with tweaking the defense. The guys giving us average results at best so far through his two years here so far. Combine that with his contract and his age it's getting to be that time where you just got to pull the plug.

I'm all for keeping Bryz around next year but its not because I'm confident in him to turn it around. The way I see is we still have another year to make the choice, there's no other clear cut options out there, and we already paying him anyway so we might as well get another year out of him.
come on. schenn is indecisive and out of position/passive on coverage a lot. he also turns the puck over and looks pretty lazy for long stretches. if we had any depth, he probably would've gotten benched a couple times this year. and grossmann has not been as dominate in our zone as he was last year. he was unstoppable last year. the whole team is playing awesome right now but it took a while to get here. I'm still on board with bryz til the end of next year but i hope they start mason tomorrow. i wanna see what he's up too. who was the last righty goalie we had here? i know we had somebody for a second. mighta been a call up but its so rare. nevermind. stephane beauregard. member that doosh?

Old
04-05-2013, 06:31 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
come on. schenn is indecisive and out of position/passive on coverage a lot. he also turns the puck over and looks pretty lazy for long stretches. if we had any depth, he probably would've gotten benched a couple times this year. and grossmann has not been as dominate in our zone as he was last year. he was unstoppable last year. the whole team is playing awesome right now but it took a while to get here. I'm still on board with bryz til the end of next year but i hope they start mason tomorrow. i wanna see what he's up too. who was the last righty goalie we had here? i know we had somebody for a second. mighta been a call up but its so rare. nevermind. stephane beauregard. member that doosh?
Grossmann's been our most consistent defenseman, even more so than Kimmo who has faltered a couple times this season. The only time Grossmann hasn't been playing like he always is is since he's been out. And as far as Schenn is concerned, I think he's been great and exceeded expectations. When we got him Toronto fans made him sound like a pylon who turned pucks over like it's his job. He makes a few dumb plays, but he's not as slow as was expected and he's actually pretty responsible with the puck. The mistakes will fade with age, he's still only 23 (I think) which is an age where defensemen are still prone to decision making mistakes.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:39 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Good lord. What the sam hell are you talking about? Schenn is a plus 4 in a season where the offense has been pretty lackluster.

You don't get to be a plus player by being lazy, and consistently blowing coverage.

Kimmo, Grossman and Luke have all been really, really, really good this season.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Good lord. What the sam hell are you talking about? Schenn is a plus 4 in a season where the offense has been pretty lackluster.

You don't get to be a plus player by being lazy, and consistently blowing coverage.

Kimmo, Grossman and Luke have all been really, really, really good this season.
powerplay ma man.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:09 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
powerplay ma man.
No plusses are gained if you score on the powerplay, is that what you are saying?

04-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Indeed, special teams don't count towards +/-

Old
04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Indeed, special teams don't count towards +/-
I believe that being scored against while on the PP is still a minus though, right?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I believe that being scored against while on the PP is still a minus though, right?
Yes. I'm so lost. I have no idea what's going on in this thread right now.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I actually don't know.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:36 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Here we go:

Quote:
Plus−minus (+/−, plus/minus) is an ice hockey statistic that measures a player's goal differential. With the exclusion of power play and penalty shot goals, when an even-strength or shorthanded goal is scored, the plus–minus statistic is increased by one ("plus") for those players on the ice for the team scoring the goal; the plus–minus statistic is decreased by one ("minus") for those players on the ice for the team allowing the goal. Whether or not the net is empty does not matter for purposes of plus–minus.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
powerplay ma man.
You don't seem to know what you're talking about.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:16 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
powerplay ma man.
You're going after Luke Schenn now? Now he's one of the reasons Bryz has played so poorly?

Luke Schenn has been great for us. He's one of our few plus players (which only takes into account his even strength play, NOT any time on the powerplay, as has already been explained here). He's playing over 20 minutes a night, and he's been partly responsible for making Lauridsen look like a competent defenseman. I don't know how you could possibly be taking shots at Luke Schenn with how well he's played for us.

Also didn't you say just a few days ago that you were done with Bryz? I believe it was after Bryz "ducked" that you said this:

Quote:
i was still all about keeping him til i just witnessed that gutlessness. that was unbelievable. the worst goal i ever witnessed. i woulda pulled him, locked him in a room and made him watch that on a loop like a mental patient so he can see the last nail in his career coffin. that was crazy bad.
And now you're right back to defending him and trashing Luke Schenn in order to do so? Come on man.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
powerplay ma man.
So you don´t know rules who you back up your arguments with? thats really bad man.

Quote:
Schenn is one of the best players for the whole year in this team. Only Voracek, Timonen played a better year for us. And Voracek has the best players in the roster besides him. Schenn must play the most minutes after Timonen and has the best players against him! Nevertheless he is a plus player, has the most bodychecks of all dman in the league and don´t take many penalties.

Maybe your only trolling but it´s not funny!

Old
04-06-2013, 03:55 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I really dislike people using +/- for anything meaningful.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:29 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Ill bite....why...

Old
04-06-2013, 07:17 AM
blinds

Quote:
Ehh, it's useless for comparing players across teams but it's a little more telling when comparing players on the same team.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:20 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Ill bite....why...
Steve Stamkos has 48 points and is minus -4. Shooting at 20%

Waive him.

Truth is: Some players a ton of points on the PP and much less so on 5on5. Using our heads-- more likely to score on PP than 5on5-- +/- is a 5on5 stat.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Ill bite....why...
Thanks for biting.

It's not useless, but when comparing players who don't see a lot of the same game situations or ice time, it's pretty bad. Now, as someone said, when comparing players on the same team, it had more use. Any stat can be misleading without context.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
This is locked (1,000 posts).

Thread #10 is available for comments -- http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1397307

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Closed Thread