HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Magnus Paajarvi at Centre? (future-not now)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 01:44 PM
  #1
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Magnus Paajarvi at Centre? (future-not now)

Is anyone else intrigued by the idea of this?

As a disclaimer, no I haven't heard this rumoured anywhere, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Now this doesn't mean it should be done immediately, especially since Paajarvi has only in the last 1-2 months began to establish himself as an NHL regular, but I honestly think it could work in the not-so-distant future.

He's big, improving in the physical play aspect of the game, is a fantastic skater and seems to be naturally more of a two-way player. I remember reading an Oilers nation article a year or two ago about him that said Magnus used to play defence, so maybe this is why his two-way play seems so solid for how such a young player.

What do you guys think?

Am I way out to lunch on this, or could there be something there?

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
  #2
I see only darkness
Registered User
 
I see only darkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 848
vCash: 761
I like the idea of this but I don't think Magnus can play the style that is needed. Nuge is much smaller and lighter but plays very hard on the puck while Magnus tends to stay away from contact. I agree he has been doing this much better this last 15 games but look at Cal and Van games. He got roughed up and wilted away.

I want Magnus to succeed more than anybody, but just dont think he would transition well to center. ?If this was on the radar, it should have been down last year or first half of this year in the minors.

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
  #3
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 26,467
vCash: 350
I think he can do it, but I wouldn't just yet. Magnus really has started coming into his own. I'd really like to see him continue this and not wreck his confidence by changing his position.

Down the road yes maybe try it, right now no.

Same like Hall, why change a guy that is playing some of his best hockey as a pro?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:28 PM
  #4
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,237
vCash: 500
His game seems awfully suited to the wing to me.

If anything, I would potentially look at defense over center. Brent Burns is perhaps the best example of a guy being drafted at forward and being converted to defense. And he looked amazing as a d-man. For awhile there he looked like he could be on the next Canadian Olympic team before some injuries happened. Of course, he has been switched back to forward this year and is having a decent offensive go at it.

I would rather just keep him at the wing though (although a switch to right wing could go a long way in helping his offense).

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
  #5
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
If the Oilers had ny intention of doing this... they wouldve played him at C when he was down in OKC... 0 chance it happens now..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:23 PM
  #6
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
Is anyone else intrigued by the idea of this?

As a disclaimer, no I haven't heard this rumoured anywhere, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

Now this doesn't mean it should be done immediately, especially since Paajarvi has only in the last 1-2 months began to establish himself as an NHL regular, but I honestly think it could work in the not-so-distant future.

He's big, improving in the physical play aspect of the game, is a fantastic skater and seems to be naturally more of a two-way player. I remember reading an Oilers nation article a year or two ago about him that said Magnus used to play defence, so maybe this is why his two-way play seems so solid for how such a young player.

What do you guys think?

Am I way out to lunch on this, or could there be something there?
I threw this suggestion out there several times last season and even two years ago.

I was disappointed they didn't try him out as a centre in OKC. Mind you, they were prolly preoccupied with tryin to ressurect his offensive game as a winger and they did a pretty good job of that...so...baby steps...I suppose.

Also...I'd said Magnus might be an even better conversion project than Hall..but...right now...I find myself re-thinking that.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:47 PM
  #7
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,446
vCash: 50
that or right wing.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:49 PM
  #8
okgooil
Registered User
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,885
vCash: 500
What is with this idea of moving every one to Center? MAP is a proto typical Winger, the guy should not play C.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:00 PM
  #9
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
What is with this idea of moving every one to Center? MAP is a proto typical Winger, the guy should not play C.
Why?

Do you honestly understand the differences in positions and, if so, what are your criteria for a player to be a "prototypical" winger?

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:03 PM
  #10
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,446
vCash: 50
what!? you guys aren't sold on Martindale or Smithson?


I like Lander as a third line center.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:09 PM
  #11
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,179
vCash: 500
I don't really see a point. Besides, if they didn't try him at C when he was in the AHL, I really doubt they do now.

The center position for the Oilers looks like its set for the next three years with RNH, Gagner, Horcoff and Smithson (Lander) anyways.

Paajarvi has become a really effective 2-way winger, no sense in changing him now.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:12 PM
  #12
MetaOil1993
Registered User
 
MetaOil1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
what!? you guys aren't sold on Martindale or Smithson?


I like Lander as a third line center.
Smithson hasn't even played for us let, Lets just see hows he plays for the rest of the year before being "sold" on him, But if he plays well then I wouldn't mind signing him again since he would be way cheaper than Belanger and probably an upgrade too. Martindale hasn't really showed much in his pro career so far, He's been underwhelming from the games I saw in OKC. Hes a project.

I see Lander as Horcoff's replacement in the future but he is not ready to be the 3rd line center on this team...

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:24 PM
  #13
JSC
Registered Sniper
 
JSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
His game seems awfully suited to the wing to me.

If anything, I would potentially look at defense over center. Brent Burns is perhaps the best example of a guy being drafted at forward and being converted to defense. And he looked amazing as a d-man. For awhile there he looked like he could be on the next Canadian Olympic team before some injuries happened. Of course, he has been switched back to forward this year and is having a decent offensive go at it.

I would rather just keep him at the wing though (although a switch to right wing could go a long way in helping his offense).
Yeah, I'd try him out at defence and see how he'd play there. He started the breakout a few times yesterday and looked awfully good at it.

JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:40 PM
  #14
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 500
Just like Hall, I see him being better off as a winger. I guess they could try it (not right now obviously).

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:59 PM
  #15
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,129
vCash: 2458
In about 3 years--You will see a duo of Maggs and Lander that will be a killer.

We on this board love to RUSH RUSH RUSH and do not give much thought to proper development

For the past 4 years this place has been all over Gagner and pissed off that he is not a pts a game player yet. This year looks like he has turned a corner. HE was taken 6th over all and has scored the 2nd most pts in his draft class and we still complain.

For me I think tht some people here do not understand what proper development of players is

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:11 PM
  #16
Matt19Oilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
In about 3 years--You will see a duo of Maggs and Lander that will be a killer.

We on this board love to RUSH RUSH RUSH and do not give much thought to proper development

For the past 4 years this place has been all over Gagner and pissed off that he is not a pts a game player yet. This year looks like he has turned a corner. HE was taken 6th over all and has scored the 2nd most pts in his draft class and we still complain.

For me I think tht some people here do not understand what proper development of players is
I have absolutely no problem with Gagner, in fact I hope we keep him around. This is simply a proposal. Just based on the centerman having the most defensive responsibility, and Paajarvi being naturally better as a two-way player than Gagner IMO. Gagner could play the wing and be able to free wheel a bit more and be criticized less for his defensive ability (improving but still behind where we would like in year 6).

But you're free to over react and say that I'm giving Gagner a hard time if you like, although you may just be putting words in my/other people's mouths.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
  #17
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 59,129
vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt19Oilers View Post
I have absolutely no problem with Gagner, in fact I hope we keep him around. This is simply a proposal. Just based on the centerman having the most defensive responsibility, and Paajarvi being naturally better as a two-way player than Gagner IMO. Gagner could play the wing and be able to free wheel a bit more and be criticized less for his defensive ability (improving but still behind where we would like in year 6).

But you're free to over react and say that I'm giving Gagner a hard time if you like, although you may just be putting words in my/other people's mouths.
You are fairly new here. Last season some people were suggesting we might get a 2nd round and a prospect for Gagner and we all over him at not developing quickly enough.

For me both Lander and MPS are the same way. Lander could turn into Stoll very easily. We have Centers through out the oilers system without moving a guy to a new position

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

For me once, they get developed that will be a very good depth at center--we jsut need some physical big bodies around them

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:21 PM
  #18
calvinguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Every couple months someone suggests this. It won't happen, mainly because he cannot win face offs.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
  #19
plikestechno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Like him best as a winger. He doesn't make enough happen with the puck to be a centreman plus all the obvious other issues.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
  #20
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
In about 3 years--You will see a duo of Maggs and Lander that will be a killer.

We on this board love to RUSH RUSH RUSH and do not give much thought to proper development

For the past 4 years this place has been all over Gagner and pissed off that he is not a pts a game player yet. This year looks like he has turned a corner. HE was taken 6th over all and has scored the 2nd most pts in his draft class and we still complain.

For me I think tht some people here do not understand what proper development of players is
No its the fact that besides a 25 game stretch to start this season he has been a player who hasnt progressed in 5 seasons and it actually seems that his offensive creativity had regressed. Not to mention that he still makes constant mistakes like he did last night that gave the Canucks 2 goals.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:58 PM
  #21
enthropi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 3,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
If the Oilers had ny intention of doing this... they wouldve played him at C when he was down in OKC... 0 chance it happens now..
To be fair, they did move Smyth to C at 37 years old...

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
  #22
nabob
Nuuuuuuuuuuge!!
 
nabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HF boards
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,427
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthropi View Post
To be fair, they did move Smyth to C at 37 years old...
Ralph would play Smyth in net if both goalies got hurt as well.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
  #23
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
For me both Lander and MPS are the same way. Lander could turn into Stoll very easily. We have Centers through out the oilers system without moving a guy to a new position

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

For me once, they get developed that will be a very good depth at center--we jsut need some physical big bodies around them
Why not do that at C in 2013/14? Freeing Horc's $5.5M could add so much flexibility for FAs.

I believe a big part of the improvement PRV has shown this season is he is playing a much more physical game. He has the requisite height - while 6'3" isn't gigantic, it is tall enough. Maybe he could add 20 pounds over the off-season and become one of those big bodies this team needs.

shoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
  #24
lakai17
Registered User
 
lakai17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,446
vCash: 50
Future-Future

Hall-RNH-Ebs
power forward-Gagner-Yak
Paajarvi-Lander-Harti
depth player-Smithson/VV-Brown/Petrell


lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  #25
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,152
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
You are fairly new here. Last season some people were suggesting we might get a 2nd round and a prospect for Gagner and we all over him at not developing quickly enough.

For me both Lander and MPS are the same way. Lander could turn into Stoll very easily. We have Centers through out the oilers system without moving a guy to a new position

2014/2015
C1-Nuge
C2-Gagner
C3-Lander

For me once, they get developed that will be a very good depth at center--we jsut need some physical big bodies around them
Early in this season a lot of posters called paajarvi a bust(where even a thread about him), they even thought he was so bad that he would be back in europe next season(his third season)!

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.