HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better puck possession game: Prime Jagr or Prime Datsyuk?

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Prime Jagr AINEC 147 54.04%
Prime Datsyuk AINEC 10 3.68%
Jagr but itís close 42 15.44%
Datsyuk but itís close 11 4.04%
Theyíre pretty much equal 4 1.47%
Honestly, Prime Mullet Jagr is simply on another level than Datsyuk. 58 21.32%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
Knocking Jagr off the puck is incredibly hard, even at his age now. The guy knows how to use his body to keep guys away from the puck, plain and simple. Datsyuk is good at this too but definitely not as good as Jagr.

Mullet Jagr AINEC

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Tacos
Wheeeee

vCash: 50
Besides the Flyers, Jagr loved punking on my Habs back in the day. He's the only player where I roll my roll my eyes derisively and say "pfffft, what an a****le" but in a complimentary way, hasn't happened again until Crosby decided to pick up and pick on my Habs the same way

Oh yeah, and that rat-bas**rd, Ovechkin has done it too

Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Affinity

Jagr. Dat ass.

Affinity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Jagr could have held on to the puck for 60 minutes if he really wanted. He used his body/back/behind the best I've ever seen

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:41 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCally View Post
stop being so ********. nobody is saying that dats blows, he's great. anyone in here can attest to that but he has nothing on Jagr when it comes to shielding the puck. Jagr is the best puck possession guy I've ever seen. that's not taking anything away from dats. what's next ur gonna be mad when ppl say oates and thornton are better playmakers? or when ppl say stamkos one-timer > dats one-timer AINEC?
Nobodys ******** but you my friend. Ppl act like someone is enraging over someones post so they post 'stop being so ********' or 'lol at this mad wings fan' but its their fault when they misinterperate. not my problem. what gave you the clue i was remotely ******** or mad? cuz I said 'my god' LMAO!

Just for arguments sake. I dont think Jagr was the best puck possession player in the game. I honestly dont know who. But this site here tracks giveaways back to year 2000 and right off the bat it shows Jagr was 12th and 6th in giveaways league wide starting at 00-01. That doesnt sound like a AINEC to me. 04' was Lockout, 05' he was 3rd, 06' he was 1st etc etc

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/st...tatistic/2000/

NHL.com tracks it starting at 05-06

Last edited by TopShelfYzerman: 04-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
TopShelfYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:42 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Datsyuk is great at puck possession but that is an awful example. It's a great play he poke checks the puck away and then had a nice breakaway from it. But that is in no way a good example of his excellent puck control skills.
thats why i said just for kicks. obviously the thread mentions both so its not completely irrelevant.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

Jagr is the correct answer here, a better comparison than Datsyuk would be Forsberg or Crosby. They're both better puck possession players than Datsyuk, but Jagr is the greatest puck possession player of all time.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:48 PM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Datsyuk says Jagr AINEC.

Datsyuk is the most overrated player in the world. He's elite tho.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Ryanf1193

its close

Ryanf1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Spoked-B
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to change my vote. I only needed to see "Prime Jagr AINEC" to choose, so never bothered to read all the way thru to "Honestly, Prime Mullet Jagr is simply on another level than Datsyuk."

Spoked-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Hockeysemin

If it was only stickhandling and dangles it would be close (even favour for Datsyuk i think) but as some of you have said Jagr is probably the best puckpossion player ever. If Dats had Jagrs body/size he could challenge him. With that said Datsyuk still pretty good ey?

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
capebretoncanadien

Datsyuk is awesome but prime Jagr may be the best protector of the biscuit ever.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Fripp

Not remotely close.

Fripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Datsyuk is good and all, but I wouldn't even call him the best puck possession player currently in the NHL.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Datsyuk is good and all, but I wouldn't even call him the best puck possession player currently in the NHL.
And Jagr was? with his top 10 placement in giveaways almost every year NHL started tracking it...

Old
04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfYzerman View Post
And Jagr was? with his top 10 placement in giveaways almost every year NHL started tracking it...
Are you really trying to argue in Datsyuk's favor here? Because if you do I doubt anybody will ever take anything you say seriously.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Are you really trying to argue in Datsyuk's favor here? Because if you do I doubt anybody will ever take anything you say seriously.
I didnt mention Datsyuk, you said Jagr was the best ever, and im rebutting, but you came back with no explanation for my post and veered off instead.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
tikkanen5rings*

a stupid poll. There is not a single player in the league, who compares to prime Jagr.
This is a guy who is top 5 all time.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

Quote:
I didnt mention Datsyuk, you said Jagr was the best ever, and im rebutting, but you came back with no explanation for my post and veered off instead.
I did?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

lol @ the aforementioned ******** wings fan

Jagr and it's not close to being close

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:55 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
lol @ the aforementioned ******** wings fan

Jagr and it's not close to being close
lol @ oh no! someone has a different opinion lets quick think of something

-ah i cant really think of anything he did post facts and he does have a point

-ah well let just call him ******** and leave it at that, hah!

Old
04-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Nobodys ******** but you my friend. Ppl act like someone is enraging over someones post so they post 'stop being so ********' or 'lol at this mad wings fan' but its their fault when they misinterperate. not my problem. what gave you the clue i was remotely ******** or mad? cuz I said 'my god' LMAO!

Just for arguments sake. I dont think Jagr was the best puck possession player in the game. I honestly dont know who. But this site here tracks giveaways back to year 2000 and right off the bat it shows Jagr was 12th and 6th in giveaways league wide starting at 00-01. That doesnt sound like a AINEC to me. 04' was Lockout, 05' he was 3rd, 06' he was 1st etc etc

If you always have the puck on your stick dont you think your gonna have a lot more giveaways than a guy who gets a touch every other shift?

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:33 PM
TopShelfYzerman
Gm 6 Double OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
If you always have the puck on your stick dont you think your gonna have a lot more giveaways than a guy who gets a touch every other shift?
Yup which is why Datsyuk has been in the top 10 in giveaways as well. And that is something to take into account. But you also look at a player like Lemieux and he didnt turn the puck over nearly as much as Jagr so thats why I wonder why ppl say Jagr was the best when he was the most liable at turning the puck over on his team.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Syrinx
RIP MW

Quote:

So you believe that Datsyuk is better than Jagr's stats...

And you think someone had to be better than Jagr but you just don't know who...

Both are very compelling arguments.

When you never saw Jagr in his prime, you shouldn't have invested so much of yourself in this.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:48 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 50
Quote:

First of all, you are not presenting meaningful facts. You just pointed out one stat that does not give a real answer. it is not even something to think about. Players who play possession game have the most giveaways. It is not something that is worth "looking more deeply" cause it won't tell us anything about players possession abilities.

Second of all, if you state "My god ppl are overrating Jagr" you are going to get attacked, mainly due to the idea that this poll is not so close. It is not a knock on Dats, who is one of the better players in his time. (On the puck possession) Jagr jsut simply was flat out better. There is arguments to be made that Jagr was the best possession player of all-time. There is no stats to show this to be true, you just have to watch a lot of hockey. This poll is showing what people saw when they looked at Jagr. It was not too long a go when he was in his prime. Most of us have seen both playing and most of us think Jagr was so much better than Datsuyk.

Now again, this is no insult to Datsuyk, it is a compliment to Jagr. One of the best possession players all-time.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote