HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Around the NHL - IV

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Jets simply are not that good

There D is terrible ,, Byfuglien is a mistake on blueline
You don't have to be particularly good to win that division, you just hve to suck less than everyone else.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Kind of sorry to hear that, actually. I have no ill will against Jordan at all. I do think it's a bad idea to count on him to create offense, though. He'll get his share of goals but he never struck me as being particularly creative, which is why having him on the 3rd line here was ideal. He had the more defensive role where he excelled and he was able to get some offense on the 3rd line as well. IMO having him on a scoring line was a disappointment waiting to happen. I always thought he was pretty underrated outside of Pittsburgh for the role that he had here but no doubt he has his limitations as well.
As I said above, I haven't really seen much of Carolina this season. But in the couple of games I did see (against the Leafs and ... I forget. Maybe the Leafs both times), Staal looked very inconsistent. One minute he'd be skating around looking lost, the next minute he'd snipe home a shot after a power move to the net. I think one of Staal's biggest problems is he still can't seem to bring his 'A' game every game.

With regards to what MTL said, I too wonder what it was that Shero saw in Staal to take him ahead of a guy like Toews. Not to dwell on the point, since it usually turns into a massive argument, but I think it's safe to say at this point in their careers that Staal's ceiling is that of a #2 center, while Toews is clearly one of the better players, period, in the NHL.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Possible concussion for Lupul? Also a shame. Hopefully it turns out to be minor.

That said, I'd pay unlimited money to hear someone ask Randy Carlyle if he thought it might be another message from the hockey gods. Dick.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Flyers didn't upgrade period

They lost Jagr and JVR in the summer and replaced them with an aging Fedotenko and Gagne. And they still have Bryzgalov
Knuble too. Briere has a concussion doesn't he? Talbot is also out with a broken leg.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
You don't have to be particularly good to win that division, you just hve to suck less than everyone else.
aside from us, ours is only a half step better this year

Old
04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Knuble too. Briere has a concussion doesn't he? Talbot is also out with a broken leg.
Yup but Knuble just slowed down so much. Briere could be a killer as usual if he returns however I still think we would win a series against them if we played them

Old
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Yup but Knuble just slowed down so much. Briere could be a killer as usual if he returns however I still think we would win a series against them if we played them
I think that as long as we don't let the after whistle scrums get in the way and our D tries to just forget about last year then we should be fine. Out of the teams in the play-offs that could get the 7/8 seed I'd rank them as;

Islanders
Hurricanes
Devils
Jets
Flyers
Rangers

Old
04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Old
04-05-2013, 03:13 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Quote:
I think that as long as we don't let the after whistle scrums get in the way and our D tries to just forget about last year then we should be fine. Out of the teams in the play-offs that could get the 7/8 seed I'd rank them as;

Islanders
Hurricanes
Devils
Jets
Flyers
Rangers
How long has has that been the mantra against Lavy and crew? I get what you are saying, but players/coaches have said that to media on numerous occasions - and to no avail. The Flyers are getting their **** together at a very convenient time. They are the last team I want the Pens to face in thew first round.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I don't know if Phillthy will make it in, but if they do and we end up playing them in round 1, there is no excuse for us not beating the piss out of them at this point. It would be a travesty beyond reckoning with the depth and added toughness we now have. We know their tricks, we know their weaknesses and our matchup situation is pretty great at this point. I say bring it on, if they can make it in... if we're hesitant about them we might as well hang it up because that is not a Cup Contending team over there right now. We need to be a whole lot better than that to have a shot against the Boston, Chicago, Anaheim and LAs of the world. Even Washington is turning up the heat again (although their division is a ****ing joke).

Old
04-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't know if Phillthy will make it in, but if they do and we end up playing them in round 1, there is no excuse for us not beating the piss out of them at this point. It would be a travesty beyond reckoning with the depth and added toughness we now have.
Bylsma would be instantly fired if we lost to the Flyers in the first round. Honestly, I think he'll be instantly fired if we lose to anybody in the first round. Even the 2nd if its anybody but Boston or Montreal.

Old
04-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I don't know if Phillthy will make it in, but if they do and we end up playing them in round 1, there is no excuse for us not beating the piss out of them at this point. It would be a travesty beyond reckoning with the depth and added toughness we now have.
And also considering all the Flyer players that have gone down with injuries in the last two weeks.

Best way to beat the Flyers is to do what the Rangers did to the Penguins on Wednesday night. Get the puck in deep and use a hard forecheck. When you're facing a team with no good puck-moving defensemen, that works pretty well. That east-west **** doesn't work against the Flyers.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Bylsma would be instantly fired if we lost to the Flyers in the first round. Honestly, I think he'll be instantly fired if we lose to anybody in the first round. Even the 2nd if its anybody but Boston or Montreal.
As well he should be fired if we lose early.

Assuming Sid's injury allows him to return in time for the playoffs (and, knock on wood, that's what appears to be the case), this team is built for a run at the Stanley Cup. The moves Shero made at the deadline are because he expects this team to win a championship. Simply making it to the second round, or even worse, losing in round one, would be a monumental collapse.

This is my one hope for seeing Iginla tried with Crosby at some point. Bylsma's job is on the line, and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he's smart enough to at least exhaust all possibilities rather than stubbornly insist Kunitz/Crosby/Dupuis stay together even when it's not working, knowing it's his job if he fails.

Old
04-05-2013, 05:36 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Quote:

Islanders
Hurricanes
Devils
Jets
Flyers
Rangers
You'd rather play the Devils than the Jets?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

3-1 Dallas, Fasth had a really bad turnover for the 2nd goal. Hiller is injured and the backup is on his way from the airport. Their backup for right now is 42 yr old Rob Laurie

Old
04-06-2013, 04:57 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

McGinn got Kronwalled. looked clean

Old
04-06-2013, 05:56 AM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

First weekend of the season without a Pens game. First weekend without a Pens game (in season) since January 28-29, 2012.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:

Islanders
Hurricanes
Devils
Jets
Flyers
Rangers
My list would be a little different:

Jets
Hurricanes
Islanders
Rangers
Devils
Flyers

Old
04-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Apparently if the Islanders lose today then we're in the play-offs. Couldn't New Jersey still knock us out?

Old
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
3-1 Dallas, Fasth had a really bad turnover for the 2nd goal. Hiller is injured and the backup is on his way from the airport. Their backup for right now is 42 yr old Rob Laurie
The rest of the situation now withstanding, Hiller is not hurt. He was sick.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

The Jets better win tonight, or the Flyers are right back in it.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Will Hunting

With the level the Rangers showed against us, there is a good possibility that they will eventually leapfrog one of the OTT/TOR in the standings.

With the level we are playing right now, there is a good possibility that we will lose our 1st spot to someone who wins that MTL/BOS battle.

That said, we could still end up against TOR/OTT and this scenario is probably the best possible matchup for us unless we are somehow playing the Isles..

Devils look awful and I guess they won´t make the playoffs. Rangers are playing well and that wouldn´t be an easy matchup for us, doesn´t matter how great our head-to-heads are against them. And I want no piece of the Flyers again, that would be an awful heart-attacker..

Old
04-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Apparently if the Islanders lose today then we're in the play-offs. Couldn't New Jersey still knock us out?
I'm bad at the magic number stuff but looking at the standings the Isles are in 8th above NJ but the Devils have a game in hand so who really knows? Maybe it's because NJ has so many loser points we'd automatically win a ROW tiebreaker?

Caps still with the freebie spot up there in 3rd place with enough points to be in 9th. If the season ends like that whichever team finishes in 9th is going to be in an epic rage, and rightfully so.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Shockmaster

I wouldn't count the Lightning out for the Southeast division title. They might have found themselves a goalie.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Will Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I wouldn't count the Lightning out for the Southeast division title. They might have found themselves a goalie.
Yeah, they are playing two key games vs Caps soon. I was thinking they are the only team that could possibly stop the Caps from taking the divison. Losing Hedman hurts though.

Closed Thread