HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Judging by Lalancette's tweets, M-A Roy is playing a hell of a game tonight for BLB.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Judging by Lalancette's tweets, M-A Roy is playing a hell of a game tonight for BLB.
Not watching but 4 points (2,2) so far.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Never was a Roy fan that much but as the year progressed.....he clearly was a guy to watch. Yet, I'm not sold on his ceiling.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:57 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Never was a Roy fan that much but as the year progressed.....he clearly was a guy to watch. Yet, I'm not sold on his ceiling.
He's a pretty m'eh player. Definitely not one of my favourite from the 'Q this season, I'd pick Duclair before him.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He's a pretty m'eh player. Definitely not one of my favourite from the 'Q this season, I'd pick Duclair before him.
True. And I have to say...I wouldn't pick Duclair unless he's there in 4th round.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I asee a little in common between Roy and Sorensen, which could explain your aversion to both.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
True. And I have to say...I wouldn't pick Duclair unless he's there in 4th round.
Darn, and I thought Grant was harsh on Duclair

Old
04-06-2013, 12:15 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

U-18 team announced. Surprisingly, 8 guys from the 'Q on the team. Lots of 2014 prospects, and one 2015 prospect.

Personally surprised to see Pépin get an invite, not that he's not good, far from that, but that's quite innovative to invite a 96, from the 'Q, when you can have 95s from the O. (Laplante did get invited last season, in the same situation as Pépin)

For 2013, players to watch:

Morrissey and Theodore whom I haven't seen yet.

Labbé, who played for a terrible team yet posted fine numbers. Morin obviously. Up front, Laplante who makes that team for a 2nd year in a row, hopefully it will end up better than last season. And finally Dauphin.

Desrosiers and Martin in goal, not the best candidates, but the better ones are still playing.

http://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Ca...ning-Camp.aspx

Old
04-06-2013, 01:09 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
He deked the entire Foreurs' team twice on his SH assist.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Not going to lie, Bjorkstrand intrigues me. Has excellent potential to be a top-9 forward.

Official wish list (realistically):

1. Mantha
2. Erne
3. Domi
4. Zykov
5. Horvat
6. Bjorkstrand
7. Petan
8. Poirier
9. Comrie
10. Martin

Last edited by Rise from the Ashes: 04-06-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I asee a little in common between Roy and Sorensen, which could explain your aversion to both.
Aversion is a little strong...but yes...there will be played I will like more at the picks we have. Mind you, at the right moment....I'm not saying I'd wouldn't pick them. But I don't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Darn, and I thought Grant was harsh on Duclair
Again, it's mostly an analysis based on who I will want vs where I think he should go. He's not going to be available in the 4th, and chances are I'd like other players before. Really tough year to just be a "good" prospect.....

Old
04-06-2013, 06:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Question: Now that a lot of you have finally jumped on MY bandwagon...the Emile Poirier's one....have you also come to the conclusion that you would prefer him over Frederik Gauthier?

'Cause I know, I do. Not that Gauthier is a bad prospect....but the reality that both guys bring a 2-way game yet, Poirier shows more some natural offensive instincts makes him more appealing despite the fact that Gauthier has such an attractive size.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:18 AM
charlie

Im wondering if we can somehow get our 4th and 5th rounds picks back for this summers draft?

Old
04-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Question: Now that a lot of you have finally jumped on MY bandwagon...the Emile Poirier's one....have you also come to the conclusion that you would prefer him over Frederik Gauthier?

'Cause I know, I do. Not that Gauthier is a bad prospect....but the reality that both guys bring a 2-way game yet, Poirier shows more some natural offensive instincts makes him more appealing despite the fact that Gauthier has such an attractive size.
I like Poirier but I think if we can get Gauthier with our 1st...or even with Calgary's 2nd it could be a huge steal. I think he is disadvantaged a bit given that he is in his 1st year in the Q, plus he played a ton early on(PP PK tough faceoffs etc) and his game has suffered the last month or so. Guys like Poirier Mantha etc have a year + under their belts and are late birthdays so more advanced physically also.

I think Gauthier can legitimately be a J.Staal type.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Draft

Quote:

I've been following your Poirier propaganda parade, seems like a solid pick. Question for me is, who would I rather fill in at a 3rd/4th line spot if one of the two can't realize their full potential? For me, that's got to be Gauthier because of his size. Does Poirier play a really physical game that would put him over the edge in that regard? I just think it's better that you at least get an NHL player out of the pick and I think, because of the size and skill, that Gauthier has better chance than Poirier. I could very well be totally wrong. Am I?

Old
04-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Draft

Scenario question for anyone that cares to reply:

Habs pick #27

If Wennberg, Mantha, or Erne is still available at 20, do you trade (Mtl 1st + Mtl 2nd + 3rd) or (Mtl 1st + Nashville 2nd) to move up? Or are people more comfortable/interested in drafting those second rounders?

Old
04-06-2013, 08:11 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Scenario question for anyone that cares to reply:

Habs pick #27

If Wennberg, Mantha, or Erne is still available at 20, do you trade (Mtl 1st + Mtl 2nd + 3rd) or (Mtl 1st + Nashville 2nd) to move up? Or are people more comfortable/interested in drafting those second rounders?
Lat year Buffalo traded pick #21 and #42 to Calgary for pick #14. Going by that I have no reason not to believe that just pick #27 and #41(currently Nashville) would get us #20 or even a bit higher.

The only guys I would actually consider tradinng up for are Nichushkin, Mantha, Zykov or Erne.

Maybe Nichushkin will drop a bit since he has "Russian Factor" and the other 3 would look pretty sweet next to Galchenyuk.

Other than them i say keep the picks since this is a great draft and the talent after #12 or so is very similar to the 2nd round.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Grant McCagg

I saw Gauthier live more than any other prospect this season other than Gatineau's. Saw Gauthier six times live and Poirier at least 25.

I like Poirier, I've liked him since November as a second rounder. Do I like him more than Gauthier? They're close.

Poirier has some warts as well. He's a little knock kneed, and his lateral agility isn't great, he's often off balance, and falls a fair bit. He whiffs on a lot of shot because of his balance problems - he does not have great edges. Gauthier on the other hand will be a strong and powerful skater at the NHL level and is a few inches taller. Poirier has great straight ahead speed however..he averages a couple of breakaways per game I'd say. He has better vision and passing instincts than Gauthier, and is certainly a lot hungrier around the net.

Poirier is a better offensive player right now and Gauthier is a better defensive player now, and will be in the future because of his skating and reach. I would say Gauthier might be a safer pick as he looks like he'll be an NHL penalty killer at the very least..but if Poirier can improve his overall skating skills..he might have more offensive upside...he's pretty good defensively as well at the junior level..has good anticipation and a very quick stick even if he gets beat east-west fairly often.

We'll see how Gauthier looks against players his own age over the next couple of weeks. He still has a chance to redeem himself somewhat.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Grant, do you see Bo Horvat as a 2nd line or 3rd line player at the NHL level? I guess I'm asking about his offensive upside rather then the defensive side of his game.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
niftymove

I'm not an achieved hockey scout as Grant is so, as usual, I must be wrong:

I saw somewhere around 5 games of Gauthier and Poirier, often on the horrible Q feed.

I really tried to love Gauthier as a prospect, but every game I saw, he was almost invisible or a non-factor. But I saw a few games where Poirier change the result of the game by himself.

If I was a club owner, for the moment, I would really prefer to have Poirier on my team than Gauthier to boost the assistance. Poirier is so spectacular when he starts a rush.

I've always been told that skating can be learned, but you cannot teach hockey IQ. So I guess Poirier's skating can be improved somewhat, but can the offensive awareness of Gauthier be improved as well?

If Gauthier ends up being a very good defensive forward, isnt this not enough to justify a top 15 pick?

Old
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
MarkovsKnee

I think Calgary and Columbus are teams to target as far as moving up the draft is concerned, especially Columbus. It looks like they are going to have 2 picks in that 15-20 range, and they have one 2nd rder. They might move back to get another 2nd rder, since you know they want to build through the draft. Our 1st and Nashville's 2nd might get it down.

Calgary of course has no 2nd rdrs. The St. Louis Blues pick falls right into our target area as well. It'll depend on whose still there, but I would be willing to trade our 1st and Calgary's 2nd for the Blues pick - if the player that we want is still there.

We definitely have the assets to move up, and I hope we use it to get a player like Erne, Mantha, Lazar, or Wennberg or whoever falls out of the top 10. I like those players over Gauthier, Poirier or whoever falls into 20-30 range. We'd still have 2 seconds and 2 thirds to play with too.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:53 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think balance can definitely be improved.. while edge work will take more training, it can be improved.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:57 AM
MXD

Quote:

My only "hick" with Poirier is that he brings a 2-way game... Sometimes.

He's a great SHG threat in the Q, and that COULD Be replicated in the pros to a certain extent.

What makes Poirier interesting is that, if you've seen him play last year as well, you probably notice that his speed dramatically improved since. His stride is still extremely ugly, however

Old
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
I'm not an achieved hockey scout as Grant is so, as usual, I must be wrong:

I saw somewhere around 5 games of Gauthier and Poirier, often on the horrible Q feed.

I really tried to love Gauthier as a prospect, but every game I saw, he was almost invisible or a non-factor. But I saw a few games where Poirier change the result of the game by himself.

If I was a club owner, for the moment, I would really prefer to have Poirier on my team than Gauthier to boost the assistance. Poirier is so spectacular when he starts a rush.

I've always been told that skating can be learned, but you cannot teach hockey IQ. So I guess Poirier's skating can be improved somewhat, but can the offensive awareness of Gauthier be improved as well?

If Gauthier ends up being a very good defensive forward, isnt this not enough to justify a top 15 pick?
Skating can be improved moreso than learned. If you skate one way for 13-14 years you can't re-learn how to skate and go from a poor skater to a good one...however...over the course of 4-5 years you can go from poor to average, from terrible to bad or from good to great.

For Gauthier I just think all the tough minutes(PK plus facing top lines a lot) he played the 1st half plus the longer schedule(coming up from MAAA) caught up to him near February 1st...

Before Jan 23rd 41 GP 16-35-51
After Jan 23rd 27 GP 6-5-11(includes playoffs)

I see this a lot on here, as soon as somebody mentions "a good defensive player" the next post talks about 3rd line center. I think Gauthier has #2 center potential, he'll never be a big sniper but I think he can be a 20-40-60 NHL player who plays tough minutes as well as PP and PK.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:08 AM
niftymove

Anyway, the way the season is going on, Gauthier will be out of reach for us.

So better have a hockey crush for Poirier!

Closed Thread