HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
02-05-2013, 02:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And it's "McElligott", for the record.
I was much closer than I feared!

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:28 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Dave Maetzold and Bob McElligot have been outstanding additions to the overall CBJ media. I feel like both have the skills to move on to a bigger market if they had the opportunity and the desire.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Oh the dude with George on the radio right now? I don't listen often, but I would prefer him over Davidge on TV any day of the week. Of the 4, he is the one I like the most. By far. I like George, but he's too hyper. Hard to follow the game. The TV crew we have now just sucks.
Enh. I don't mind Rimer all that much. He has his moments.

George is still my favorite broadcaster on the team, although what puts him ahead is more nostalgia than ability - following a game he calls is something of an acquired skill. But in terms of who has the most skill at the position... yeah, I'll go with Bob. I think he'd be fantastic on the TV crew.

Davidge very badly needs to come back to radio.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I think this year's broadcasting has been more honest and at times rightfully and openly critical of the team's play. For me, it's a welcome change. I'd rather have our broadcasters be willing to say it like it is than constantly blowing rose centered smoke our way. This is happening both during the game call and at the pre an spots game desk with Maetzold and Kamal.

Kamal in particular has grown on me. He seems awkward as hell but I like what he brings to the coverage. Seems like a real hockey guy.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Kamal in particular has grown on me. He seems awkward as hell but I like what he brings to the coverage. Seems like a real hockey guy.
I would have an easier time with Kamal if he didn't remind me so much of Gilbert Gottfried!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
I would have an easier time with Kamal if he didn't remind me so much of Gilbert Gottfried!
He still reminds me less of Gilbert Gottfried than Ray Crawford.

Freaky.

04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Anyone else can't stand the mites "shootout showcase" shown during the pregame/postgame/slapshots programs? I'd think only those kiddos' immediate families give a crap.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
anteater90

Quote:
Anyone else can't stand the mites "shootout showcase" shown during the pregame/postgame/slapshots programs? I'd think only those kiddos' immediate families give a crap.
Also those of us that coach youth hockey in central ohio. It is great for the kids and a great way to grow the game. Same thing as when those kids are the future jackets. It is fantastic of the CBJ to bring those kids in and let them go on the big ice. Take a seat Francis.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post
Also those of us that coach youth hockey in central ohio. It is great for the kids and a great way to grow the game. Same thing as when those kids are the future jackets. It is fantastic of the CBJ to bring those kids in and let them go on the big ice. Take a seat Francis.
Ok, well that's TOTALLY different. At least 50 or 60 people outside their immediate families give a crap. 'scuse me.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:34 PM
BlueJacket2

Quote:

Actually I love that they are doing this, I am sure most people on here do as well. It would be nice if the whole clip was shown at once instead of being drawn out throughout the broadcast. It is great to see. Go back 13 years and they wouldn't have been able to bring you something so spectacular, at least not locally.

Let these kiddos have a showcase.

BlueJacket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I don't wanna rip it cuz it has the innocent children involved...

but...

I feel like that time can be used better for sure.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I don't wanna rip it cuz it has the innocent children involved...

but...

I feel like that time can be used better for sure.
When did you grow a heart?

Old
04-05-2013, 08:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post
My wife and I love the Junior Jackets, that the only intermission entertainment that we stay to watch.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:11 PM
MFRONE

Nikitin did not play in the 3rd period, why was this not mentioned on the broadcast? What was Natalie doing that she couldn't report on this?

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
Nikitin did not play in the 3rd period, why was this not mentioned on the broadcast? What was Natalie doing that she couldn't report on this?
Who knows, whatever on ice reporters do I guess....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFRONE View Post
She was touching up her do, or was it dew?

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
CharlotteJacket

My biggest complaint is the placing of the crowd mic's for the game. It seems FOX has them behind both goals and for whatever reason, CBJ fans love to pound and bang on the glass, so when listening to it on Center Ice, that sound sometimes overwhelms the broadcast. I wish they would call the folks at HNIC and see how they do it because with them, you still here the skates slashing the ice plus a clear sound of the enthusiasm of the crowd without the banging noise.

CharlotteJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:45 AM
RBarRegular

Rimer is hilarious in his complete cluelessness. Sometimes I wonder if he and I are watching the same game.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:09 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBarRegular View Post
Rimer is hilarious in his complete cluelessness. Sometimes I wonder if he and I are watching the same game.

He's endearing as all getout, but I seriously worry about the man's faculties sometimes.

joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Steeltown Jacket
FanFromPensTerritory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJacket View Post
My biggest complaint is the placing of the crowd mic's for the game. It seems FOX has them behind both goals and for whatever reason, CBJ fans love to pound and bang on the glass, so when listening to it on Center Ice, that sound sometimes overwhelms the broadcast. I wish they would call the folks at HNIC and see how they do it because with them, you still here the skates slashing the ice plus a clear sound of the enthusiasm of the crowd without the banging noise.
I don't know if it's because you mentioned this and I paid more attention, or if it was unusually loud last night, but I heard constant pounding on the glass. Really takes away from the game audio.

Steeltown Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:48 AM
RickS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown Jacket View Post
I don't know if it's because you mentioned this and I paid more attention, or if it was unusually loud last night, but I heard constant pounding on the glass. Really takes away from the game audio.
It depends on who is sitting by the glass. The guys in striped shirts pound all game, every game. If they aren't there, not nearly as bad.

RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 03:32 PM
CharlotteJacket

It just bugs me when Rimer says "listen to the crowd" and all we hear over the TV is very muted almost like the fans are sitting on their hands. I know there has to be a cost involved but FOXOhio just has to do better in the area of audio. Games on the NHL network and HNIC are vastly superior as are games on the regional networks.

CharlotteJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:33 PM
Steeltown Jacket
FanFromPensTerritory

Just a quick rant about the camera work last night. Seemed frequent that the cameramen were not panning the whole ice and some plays were off screen. Also showing zoomed in meaningless line changes instead of game action.

Steeltown Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:37 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeltown Jacket View Post
Just a quick rant about the camera work last night. Seemed frequent that the cameramen were not panning the whole ice and some plays were off screen. Also showing zoomed in meaningless line changes instead of game action.
I noticed the same thing. I think the problem is that the production is left to the home team and the game feed goes to both Fox broadcast teams. Intermission and post game is left to the local production staff. I think I'm correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I noticed the same thing. I think the problem is that the production is left to the home team and the game feed goes to both Fox broadcast teams. Intermission and post game is left to the local production staff. I think I'm correct, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you're correct Kev22. On the other hand, some of the best camera work comes from Ottawa and Montreal. They back up a bit to show the whole play, not some star player's nose hairs..