HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Old
04-05-2013, 05:18 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
i just looked at johansson's point history on his game log. you should look at it if you think johansson has been leaching off ovechkin. about half the points have no ovechkin participation at all included two unassisted goals and the sauce pass on the shorthanded 2 on 1 for ward the other day.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
I just looked back to see that Johansson to Semin goal from game 5 against the Rangers in 2011, and saw this in the penalty log for the 3rd period:

19:28 WSH JOHN ERSKINE : ROUGHING (SEAN AVERY)
19:28 NYR SEAN AVERY : MISCONDUCT (10 MIN)
19:28 NYR BRYAN MCCABE : ROUGHING (JOHN ERSKINE)
19:28 NYR BRYAN MCCABE : MISCONDUCT (10 MIN)
19:28 NYR RUSLAN FEDOTENKO : ROUGHING (JOHN ERSKINE)

I don't remember that, but it's pretty funny that three guys got called for roughing Erskine at once.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i just looked at johansson's point history on his game log. you should look at it if you think johansson has been leaching off ovechkin. about half the points have no ovechkin participation at all included two unassisted goals and the sauce pass on the shorthanded 2 on 1 for ward the other day.
I like Johansson, but one of those unassisted goals was the one Boston put into their own net for no reason.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
malyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I like Johansson, but one of those unassisted goals was the one Boston put into their own net for no reason.
And the other was the giroux turnover when ovechkin was pressuring him.

But he's looked pretty solid since he got his head put back on straight.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Brooklyn can't do that. He has long ago made up his mind that MJ sucks. Any notion that MJ is actually good would mean that Brooklyn has to admit he was wrong and it seems like he is having problems doing so to be perfectly honest.
He can always register a new account here and pretend like he never said he wanted Erik Johnson over Backstrom.

Oh wait, that's someone else here.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Some guys don't look like they're trying because of how they play, skate, etc. You really think Wolski, fighting both to stay in the lineup and to save his NHL career, is going out and just deciding not to compete? Anyway I said it was underestimated, not high. I think you're exaggerating Johansson's and underrating Wolski's. He and Johansson both do suffer from their relative unwillingness to get dirty and put themselves in physical danger. In Johansson's case, he's had concussions and I can totally understand his wariness...however, its negative impact on his game is the same whether it's understandable or not. Perreault is smaller and more vulnerable than Johansson and is a lot more willing to put himself in danger and battle physically.
I personally think there is a big gap between Wolski and MJ. There is a big gap between Wolski and anyone not wearing #55 for that matter. My take tho.

I've always been an MP supporter once he played here. Wasn't hype on him before that but his hustle won me over and I never understood his constant doghouse action. I never bought into "well he plays a few great games and then flatlines". I was of the opinion most all NHL players are streaky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
All that is fine, once you know he's going to make it as a scorer. But his floor is much lower. He could end up a career AHLer. Forsberg's floor is like fringy scoring NHLer, not-quite-top-6er; he was always the safe guy who's ceiling was more questionable.

Saying Wilson = Lucic in terms of an asset is just wishful thinking for a few years at least. So putting him ahead of Forsberg for that reason right now is jumping the gun.

Put another way: if they both hit their absolute ceilings, I take Forsberg (Perry > Lucic). If they both stagnate at their floors, I also take Forsberg. So just because you feel like you need a Wilson type more than a Forsberg type isn't enough to say he's more important right now.

It's fine to say you want a certain player to fit a certain role. But the priority still needs to be amassing as many good players as you can.
I guess it depends what you believe Forsberg's top end potential is. Nowhere have I read that he has the nasty of Perry. I've heard he's a good competitor and doesn't mind physical play but he's not nasty. Just didn't come across as a guy who didn't mind dropping the gloves and playing chippy.

I'm actually hoping Wilson turns into more of a Bob Probert than Lucic. And not the cocaine part either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
He can always register a new account here and pretend like he never said he wanted Erik Johnson over Backstrom.

Oh wait, that's someone else here.
Ouch Brad. I'm truly hurt here. You insinuate as if that person electively decided to create a new account instead of being forced to? Is that how you remember it?

I'd take your bait but I'd prefer to keep my account this time around. Trust me you don't want to go down that path. Getzlaf over Fehr, epic rant upon the Pothier signing, utter disgust at bringing aboard an aging Nylander for that contract etc. There is a long list of things here.

Fact is I admit when I'm wrong. I have long being flying the "fire McPhee" banner before it suddenly became fashionable. I hated the Poti signing at first and ate my words when he became a stable influence for the team.

Thats more that can be said about alot of other posters.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Roughing

Quote:
I'm actually hoping Wilson turns into more of a Bob Probert than Lucic. And not the cocaine part either.
That's what made him Probert though...

Roughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:23 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
That's what made him Probert though...
Yeah that was so sad. Great player he was. I felt bad for the Wings in 89-90 (or was it 88-89 can't remember?) when they looked like they were going to beat Edmonton in the playoffs prior to that series. There was that embarassing situation where Demeres had to bench a bunch of his players before one of the games due to their partying. I am pretty sure Probert was one of those guys pulling an all nighter along with Chabot and a couple others.

But what I hear is that Wilson is a true heavy weight who can play. If he pans out then I believe this type of player is one of the rarest you can find along the lines of Probert/Neely/Lucic types. Varying skill levels but they all had skill.

Forsberg types are more common tho its not to say if he reaches his potential that kind of player grows on trees either. I just prefer the former type

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:04 AM
g00n
abides

WW and MJ are not the same players. WW is 4 inches taller, 10-15lbs heavier, and 5 years older for one. But WW does not play like a 6'3" 200 pounder, unfortunately. MJ plays according to his size, and is a much better skater and puckhandler. His problems are size and knowing when to stop making moves and pass or shoot. WW's problems are...many.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:07 AM
msrulo

We got 2 games against Tampa, is anyone else afraid of those games? Tampa's had our numbers, and they could still win the SE with a new coach and system.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:08 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
WW and MJ are not the same players. WW is 4 inches taller, 10-15lbs heavier, and 5 years older for one. But WW does not play like a 6'3" 200 pounder, unfortunately. MJ plays according to his size, and is a much better skater and puckhandler. His problems are size and knowing when to stop making moves and pass or shoot. WW's problems are...many.
Exactly and MJ has a way better shooting %.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
Exactly and MJ has a way better shooting %.
MJ's hands are MUCH better than WW in general. MJ has a potential upward trend, WW is a reclamation project that even if it pans out probably won't reach the potential MJ has.

The only thing I think they have in common is that they both seem to miss the net way more than they should. That's mental. MJ with confidence and killer instinct could be a point a game player. WW with his personal max in both is probably half that. Their pay is close to reflecting this difference.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
We got 2 games against Tampa, is anyone else afraid of those games? Tampa's had our numbers, and they could still win the SE with a new coach and system.
Yes, we are all so scared!

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:41 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Wish we had someone like kozlov back. Guy could gain the zone and protect the puck like no one else. Yeah he's washed up now but watching mojo drop pass and peel off every time is infuriating
Kozloaf?

Yea that pass. The one the Caps used a lot when scoring in bunches.

I remember they'd do that to a hard skating OV or Green who would blow by the d.

We really gonna act like Mojo didn't stay out for a long shift. Took on several d men. Then the puck ended up on his stick but got robbed of the gwg.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Brooklyn can't do that. He has long ago made up his mind that MJ sucks. Any notion that MJ is actually good would mean that Brooklyn has to admit he was wrong and it seems like he is having problems doing so to be perfectly honest.
I'm wrong about a ton of things. But I'm not wrong here. Johansson is a perimeter winger with no strength and a low compete level.

Czerkawski, Wolski...those are his comps. What is anyone seeing that makes them think differently? Play in traffic? Board work? Defensive zone play...which relates to laziness actually because his rookie year he was excellent defensively and on the pk. I see nothing except putting up points out of position with two of the best forwards in the league.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
I personally think there is a big gap between Wolski and MJ. There is a big gap between Wolski and anyone not wearing #55 for that matter. My take tho.

I've always been an MP supporter once he played here. Wasn't hype on him before that but his hustle won me over and I never understood his constant doghouse action. I never bought into "well he plays a few great games and then flatlines". I was of the opinion most all NHL players are streaky.

I guess it depends what you believe Forsberg's top end potential is. Nowhere have I read that he has the nasty of Perry. I've heard he's a good competitor and doesn't mind physical play but he's not nasty. Just didn't come across as a guy who didn't mind dropping the gloves and playing chippy.

Ouch Brad. I'm truly hurt here. You insinuate as if that person electively decided to create a new account instead of being forced to? Is that how you remember it?

I'd take your bait but I'd prefer to keep my account this time around. Trust me you don't want to go down that path. Getzlaf over Fehr, epic rant upon the Pothier signing, utter disgust at bringing aboard an aging Nylander for that contract etc. There is a long list of things here.

Fact is I admit when I'm wrong. I have long being flying the "fire McPhee" banner before it suddenly became fashionable. I hated the Poti signing at first and ate my words when he became a stable influence for the team.

Thats more that can be said about alot of other posters.
Eh, things have changed (I also got a lifetime ban from the Old Caps boards, due to my calling for George's head back in 2003, but we are digressing). MaJo has youth on his side....were he 27, he'd be a problem. At 22, he still has "time" on his side.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'm wrong about a ton of things. But I'm not wrong here. Johansson is a perimeter winger with no strength and a low compete level.

Czerkawski, Wolski...those are his comps. What is anyone seeing that makes them think differently? Play in traffic? Board work? Defensive zone play...which relates to laziness actually because his rookie year he was excellent defensively and on the pk. I see nothing except putting up points out of position with two of the best forwards in the league.
Have you watched him since he came back from injury? Specifically the series of plays I just mentioned against the Isles.

What you are saying looked true at the beginning of the year. He also looked chubbier at the time. He came back from injury looking thinner and quicker.

If he could add some size, he'd be a great winger.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:51 AM
msrulo

I'm still rooting for the tank. 8 points off last in the east. Tampa also looks better than us at this point. Seth Jones will help by replacing Green. Trade Green for a 1st round pick to florida/calgary and rebuild!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Czerkawski, Wolski...those are his comps.
So what you're saying is that Johansson is actually Polish?

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:10 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
I'm still rooting for the tank. 8 points off last in the east. Tampa also looks better than us at this point. Seth Jones will help by replacing Green. Trade Green for a 1st round pick to florida/calgary and rebuild!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:11 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
How did you arrive at that?

The last ten games, Caps are 7-2-1
TB 5-4-1

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:12 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
So what you're saying is that Johansson is actually Polish?
I lol'd.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
How did you arrive at that?

The last ten games, Caps are 7-2-1
TB 5-4-1
Tampa also 3-0-1 with new system and coach or something like that. They defeated the canes 5-0.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

I am always worried about Tampa. St. Louis and Lecavalier have made HOF-caliber careers of feasting on the Caps. Should be 2 good, hard-fought, playoff-type hockey games.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:35 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Tampa also 3-0-1 with new system and coach or something like that. They defeated the canes 5-0.
No Jokinen and no Pitkanen, that team's a shell of its former self.

You take away the early two goals the Canes had scored on the Caps, the Caps outscored them 5-1.

If there's a team in the SE that other teams in the SE get up for playing against it's the Caps. Not saying that TB won't be tough, but even with Bishop their D to use NBTW's line is "turible".

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote