HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread II (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Xoggz22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Davidson already said outside of Jones they're looking at "Offense, offense, offense"

But what I see is that it seems more likely at this pace for OUR pick to be in the 14-10 range and NYR's being in the 10-8 range. So honestly for our sake I hope there is a run on Dmen in the 5-9 range. if 3-4(including Jones) dmen get drafted in those mid top 10 area that means a better chance of someone with a serious skill set falls through the cracks to us at one if not both picks. But thats only if both NYR and CBJ both miss the playoffs. I cant see LA missing at the pace theyre going.
And I am in agreement but I also don't think JD and JK are too short sighted to think that if a d-man is actually rated higher by them/the scouts they wouldn't take him and move another d-man for offense. I go back to the Runblad trade from St. Louis. They moved him to get a Tarasenko as I recall. I could see them moving someone in the existing pipeline for offense (this years 1st round or even someone elses prospect).

Regardless, I'm on board with "offense, offense, offense" but can also see a phrase like justified by saying offense can be generated by the defense depending on skill set.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:04 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Thanks for the condescending response. I never knew how dumb I was until you showed up.
I guess this is one of those instances where the attitude of writing is easily misinterpreted. I honestly tried to make you a polite s*** sandwich and you were still insulted. Know in the future that I always try hard to avoid being rude (unless you insult Howson), I'm just putting my views out there, just like you and everyone else.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:52 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I guess this is one of those instances where the attitude of writing is easily misinterpreted. I honestly tried to make you a polite s*** sandwich and you were still insulted. Know in the future that I always try hard to avoid being rude (unless you insult Howson), I'm just putting my views out there, just like you and everyone else.
Sometimes, for fun, when I see phrases that I've never heard of before, I like to "Bing search" them to see what image pops up first. For your comment ... and if I'm reading the censored word correctly, here's what we get:

[IMG]http://www.fulldishclosure.com/wp-content/uploads/pics_****-sandwich2.jpg[/IMG]

Goodnight, everyone.

EDIT: Not sure why the image won't pop up. It's not a bad laugh.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
EspenK

Quote:

No problem. We're out of the box now on with game.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:48 AM
EspenK

If we go into a tailspin, we're only 5 pts out of the 4th pick.

I'm fully on the playoff push train,just hoping we don't get stranded halfway between the two possible best destinations.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
major major

Here's a group of fresh mock drafts.

This one is from the Bleacher Report. They have us picking Joshua Morrissey, Adam Erne, and Max Domi.

Then there is this giant HF MockDraft:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
1. Florida Panthers – Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
2. Colorado Avalanche – Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)
3. Calgary Flames – Alexander Barkov, C, Tappara (SM-liiga)
4. Philadelphia Flyers – Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
5. Washington Capitals – Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (SEL)
6. Tampa Bay Lightning – Valeri Nichushkin, LW, Chelyabinsk (KHL)
7. Buffalo Sabres – Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)
8. New York Islanders – Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)
9. Edmonton Oilers – Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
10. Nashville Predators – Adam Erne, RW, Quebec (QMJHL)
11. Phoenix Coyotes – Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon (WHL)
12. Columbus Blue Jackets – Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
13. Dallas Stars – Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (SM-liiga)
14. Columbus Blue Jackets * - Alexander Wennberg, C, Djurgardens (SEL)
15. Carolina Hurricanes – Nikita Zadorov, D, London (OHL)
16. San Jose Sharks – Max Domi, C, London (OHL)
17. Detroit Red Wings – Josh Morrissey, D, Prince Albert (WHL)
18. New Jersey Devils – Anthony Mantha, LW, Val-d’Or (QMJHL)
19. Winnipeg Jets – Valentin Zykov, LW, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)
20. St. Louis Blues – Bo Horvat, C, London (OHL)
21. Toronto Maple Leafs – Zach Fucale, G, Halifax (QMJHL)
22. Vancouver Canucks – Curtis Lazar, C, Edmonton (WHL)
23. Columbus Blue Jackets ** - Mirco Mueller, D, Everett (WHL)
24. Minnesota Wild – Nicolas Petan, C, Portland (WHL)
25. Ottawa Senators – Ryan Hartman, RW, Plymouth (OHL)
26. Boston Bruins – Robert Hagg, D, Modo (SEL)
27. Montreal Canadiens – Andre Burakovsky, LW, Malmo (SWE)
28. Pittsburgh Penguins – Jason Dickenson, LW, Guelph (OHL)
29. Anaheim Ducks – Anthony Duclair, LW, Quebec (QMJHL)
30. Chicago Blackhawks – Artturi Lehkonen, RW, KalPa (SM-liiga)

* - New York Rangers
** - Los Angeles Kings
Gauthier, Wennberg, and Mueller. How many mock drafts have we seen where Mirco Mueller goes to the Jackets? I don't get it.

Then Draftsite.com has us taking Zadorov, Hartman, and Lazar.

And mynhldraft has us taking Zadorov, Wennberg, and Lazar.

I have no inclination at all to draft Zadorov or Mueller. I'm just not excited by Mueller, and I am a bit repelled by Zadorov because I feel like I've seen too many players like him in the past end up not having much NHL impact. Actually, anytime I see scouts getting primarily excited about a player's physique I tend to tune out.

Morrissey is the one defenceman-pick I can almost understand. He would add some scoring punch to our d-pool. But what would he give us that Murray and Erixon won't?

Old
04-06-2013, 01:29 AM
major major

So I was poring over some mock drafts, and I was curious what players HF posters would have chosen. I took the mock draft from draftsite.com where we are picking at 13, 15, and 21, and I then used the top 15 lists some of us posters submitted on page 17 of this thread.

SoreLoser had us picking Zadorov, Pulock, and Mantha.

JacketsFanWest went with Wennberg, Domi, and Zykov.

My list would have picked Domi, Rychel, and Mantha.

Xoggz22 had us going with Zadorov, Gauthier, and ? (Xoggz' list was all taken by the time we got to the 21st pick).

Do people feel like these are the players they actually would have chosen (if other players are taken off the board as in draftsite's mock)? How do folks feel about these picks? And compared to the mock-draft picks in the last post?

Old
04-06-2013, 01:39 AM
slightlystewpid420

If the little snippet on NHL is right that I saw the top top 4 looked like

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Monahan

So if thats the new top 4, are Barkov and Lindholm 5 and 6 still?

Old
04-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
So I was poring over some mock drafts, and I was curious what players HF posters would have chosen. I took the mock draft from draftsite.com where we are picking at 13, 15, and 21, and I then used the top 15 lists some of us posters submitted on page 17 of this thread.

Xoggz22 had us going with Zadorov, Gauthier, and ? (Xoggz' list was all taken by the time we got to the 21st pick).

Do people feel like these are the players they actually would have chosen (if other players are taken off the board as in draftsite's mock)? How do folks feel about these picks? And compared to the mock-draft picks in the last post?
I change my mind almost daily as I read and watch more of the eligible players. So much will depend on what happens in front of us. I still feel we end up with a pick in the top 8 and I continue to hope for a shot at Lindholm dropping.

As we get to the 12-18 range I really like Mantha, Gauthier, Pulock, Shinkaruk and possibly even Lazar. I am truly torn because it certainly looks like a very deep top 60 picks (probably more). We have a chance to add 2-3 players with top 6 ability which would be amazing. We also appear to have a team that won't need these picks to come in and contribute right away.

Exciting but I know I'll waffle/change several more times before draft time hits. If we don't make the playoffs, I hope we are competitive but teams currently behind us catch a little fire (not CBJ sucking )

Old
04-06-2013, 09:42 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
If the little snippet on NHL is right that I saw the top top 4 looked like

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Monahan

So if thats the new top 4, are Barkov and Lindholm 5 and 6 still?
I'd have both of them above Monahan.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
EspenK

[QUOTE=major major;63409117]Here's a group of fresh mock drafts.

This one is from the Bleacher Report. They have us picking Joshua Morrissey, Adam Erne, and Max Domi.

On their board Shinkaruk is available where they have us taking Morrissey. No way I'd pass on him. If we got Shinkaruk, Erne & Domi
I'd be very happy. Two other guys I'd like are Mantha and Zikov.

And if we did take a D I'd rather it be Pulock.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
alphafox

Quote:

I ended up Picking Domi, Pulock, and Lazar. I actually have two of these guys in my top 10 (see below) regardless of Draft Position. Domi has nearly as high a ceiling as the big five forwards. Pulock has a right handed cannon on the point and the ability to make any pass which will be a major help in creating offense at even strength and especially on the power play. Finally, Lazar is an enigma to me. Some have him as a first line power forward others as a third line plugger, personally I would like to see him at wing on Boone Jenner's line as I feel they would mesh well in the future as a second line that could take advantage of any match-up a shutdown/scoring hybrid if you will.

My current top 10 for Reference
Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Lindholm
Nichushkin
Domi
Monahan
Shinkaruk
Pulock

Personally, I dislike the mock drafts because the inability to move up the draft really limits your options. I expect that we will likely see our 2nd, 3rd, and Savard all moved in to move up with our picks in the first round. I believe that we have the assets to move up to grab three guys we really want (i.e. Lindholm, Domi and Shinkaruk), provided our picks are all in the 14-20 range.

Last edited by alphafox: 04-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 11:12 AM
CapnCornelius

I've seen Lazar play and I like him a lot. One of those guys you notice on every shift.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM
EspenK

I was just checking back at the draftsite.com and they have Edmonton taking Erne. WTF would they do that? How about a D-man?

I know,he is the BPA with a high hockey IQ

Old
04-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
For the record, one of these players, I wouldn't touch in the range that he's likely to be selected ... so this would never happen

Regardless of where our draft picks end up, I think that the best thing that could possibly happen to this franchise is exactly what's happening. They are being competitive every night and aren't turtling against any opponent. I mentioned it earlier in this discussion, and I think it holds true - you have to have a tight knit group, they have to have healthy competition with each other, and it cannot be easy for any rookie to make the team. Make them fight to earn their spots and keep their spots, and especially, above all else, make the young, talented players learn the value of giving 100% effort on a nightly basis. We're seeing the emergence of a competitive Jakub Voracek in Philadelphia, where he's being demanded to do more than he ever did in Columbus. Imagine developing players like that on our own, and where we would be with some of the guys we've taken at the draft.

Regardless of where we pick, the youth that is being infused into this organization is entering a far better situation than ever before ... and that should give us all plenty of reasons to get excited for the future.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:38 PM
jacketman10

SL, I have a question that you might be able to answer for me. I like Mantha's size and potential. But I have read that he has a lazy work ethic. Is that true? What about his attitude?

Old
04-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketman10 View Post
SL, I have a question that you might be able to answer for me. I like Mantha's size and potential. But I have read that he has a lazy work ethic. Is that true? What about his attitude?
I've heard the same thing about his work ethic, however I can't attest too much farther because I don't get as much (if any) inside stuff on the QMJHL guys. All that I can speak for is what I've seen in the games I've watched, which is a big guy with good hands and a terrific release. People have compared him to Rick Nash at the same age, which isn't something I see ... he reminds me a lot more of Kyle Beach, a guy who will have to grow into his frame and use his size and shot to be fully effective. This could make for a very intriguing player - the difference being, Kyle Beach is a complete head case off the ice - if Mantha can develop properly, then he could definitely be a top-6 forward, with much the same hope that the Hawks had for Kyle Beach when they drafted him.

I also won't speak for his attitude, because I honestly don't know anything about him off the ice ... but he can't be as bad as Beach

Hope that clears it up a little. People had the same concerns with Jakub Voracek, and we are seeing the difference that good coaching can make for him. I'm of the belief that you can teach solid work ethics, but you can't always teach skill or hockey sense ... Mantha is heavy on both.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:27 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Hope that clears it up a little. People had the same concerns with Jakub Voracek, and we are seeing the difference that good coaching can make for him. I'm of the belief that you can teach solid work ethics, but you can't always teach skill or hockey sense ... Mantha is heavy on both.
I'm of the same view with Mantha. Given that the organization now seems to stand for something positive, with higher standards of behavior, and with quality character guys like Jenner and Murray coming up the pipeline, one can hope that a guy like Mantha can be groomed into a hard working player. He is one of the best scorers in this whole draft class, so I do hope so.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:36 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I've heard the same thing about his work ethic, however I can't attest too much farther because I don't get as much (if any) inside stuff on the QMJHL guys. All that I can speak for is what I've seen in the games I've watched, which is a big guy with good hands and a terrific release. People have compared him to Rick Nash at the same age, which isn't something I see ... he reminds me a lot more of Kyle Beach, a guy who will have to grow into his frame and use his size and shot to be fully effective. This could make for a very intriguing player - the difference being, Kyle Beach is a complete head case off the ice - if Mantha can develop properly, then he could definitely be a top-6 forward, with much the same hope that the Hawks had for Kyle Beach when they drafted him.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

In skill only, sir. I was hoping someone wouldn't take it that way!

As it stands, in my years of following junior hockey, Kyle Beach has one of the best releases I've ever seen at this level. Mantha is a similar type of player. Think potentially Billy Guerin, but maybe with better hands?

Old
04-07-2013, 09:26 PM
jacketman10

Thanks for the response. I can see what you are saying about teaching work ethic versus skill.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Ludicrous Speed

When I read that Mantha's work ethic has issues I feel like it's overblown. I read an article on him where he described his off-ice habits and it sounded very genuine. If nothing else, he seems like a bright kid who could pick up the right habits if brought along properly. I'll try to find the article and post it when I do.

Here it is, it's very good read: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...vid=nhl-search

Quote:
"He's a very intelligent kid. It's great talking hockey with him," Durocher told NHL.com. "He's always asking the right questions in practice and even pointing things out that we might have missed sometimes."

That innate sense for the game has been passed down to Mantha along family lines. His grandfather is Andre Pronovost, a forward who played 556 games for four NHL teams between 1956 and 1967, winning the Stanley Cup in each of his first four full professional seasons with the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens of the late 1950s.

Mantha has been tutored in the game by his grandfather since a young age, and he said the message has been consistent from Day 1.

"He gives me a lot of advice, but it's mainly to remind me to work hard every game, every shift, and that's what will bring me success," Mantha told NHL.com. "It's not complicated. It applied when he played and it still applies today. As soon as you stop working, you stop going forward. So you have to keep working."
I personally think he could be one of those guys who falls through the cracks of the early first round because of his perceived faults, and in turn makes for a guy who you see years later and say "How the hell did this guy not go earlier?". He's got undeniable natural talent, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

Last edited by Ludicrous Speed: 04-08-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old
04-08-2013, 06:51 AM
EspenK

With some (bad?) luck the Jackets could wind up with the 6th pick. At this point I'm back on that train.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:24 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
I personally think he could be one of those guys who falls through the cracks of the early first round because of his perceived faults, and in turn makes for a guy who you see years later and say "How the hell did this guy not go earlier?". He's got undeniable natural talent, and seems to have a good head on his shoulders.
Mantha's slipped far in some of the mock drafts, but I doubt he'll really slip that much in the draft. Way too much talent, and the question marks don't seem to be all that important.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
With some (bad?) luck the Jackets could wind up with the 6th pick. At this point I'm back on that train.
I'm also eyeing that 6th pick. Who would we pick? More specifically, how do we rank the guys that are likely to be available from 5th onward?

I'd go:

Lindholm
Nichushkin
Nurse
Monahan

But I'm really unsure here.

Closed Thread