HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

If Florida wins lottery, who would you guys select?

View Poll Results: Draft?
Centre [MacKinnon/Barkov] 44 68.75%
Winger [Drouin/Nichushkin] 8 12.50%
Defenseman [Jones] 6 9.38%
N/A to see the votes. 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 10:51 PM
smokes lets go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
IMO, Mac is going to be a wing in the NHL. While we do have question marks at center, Id rather him play the wing opposite of Huberdeau.
Why do people keep saying this? He's a natural center, they switched Drouin to Wing when they wanted to play them together (Drouin was a C coming into the q). They even tried to switch Mackinnon to wing for the WJC and he didn't adjust well at all. He has the speed and two way game to play C, and for had 4 assists tonight, he can play setup man as well. Even to those in the BPA crowd, i still think Mackinnon is it. Drouin will likely be a bit of a better scorer, but Mackinnon's all around game i think will make him more valuable. Watch Taylor Hall play, kid wears his heart on his sleeve whenever he steps on the ice, always going at 100%, and Mackinnon does just the same.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Why would I be upset? They would both essentially fill the same role with one being better than the other. There is no need to have both of them especially considering how they will take up salary space, I would rather Kulikov's salary go to an offensive forward.
While what you say is what I'd actually like to happen, wouldn't they both just be top-4 defensemen on the team? Getting one doesn't necessarily make the other useless or even redundant.

Having several defensemen who can move the puck and skate like those two guys (even if Kulikov's offense is rather disappointing this year) is a good thing.

There's a reason why Tallon and many GM's like Kulikov and why Tallon and many GM's won't ignore Jones on draft day.

Getting one guy like that is difficult. Getting two would be great.

Again, I don't want it to happen, but I don't think it would be a bad thing either.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
CanadianPantherFan

I was in the camp of drafting: Bou and Guds...to an extent Kulikov too (minus the KHL factor that was heavily talked about and why he slipped in the draft a bit).

I think this is time for a high end forward selection to go along with: Huberdeau, Shore, Bjugstad, Howden etc...

Old
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Not that it's what I want to happen, but how is there "no need" for such a thing? Would it upset you if we drafted Jones AND kept Kulikov?

Because, personally, having what would arguably be the best D-core in the NHL one day combined with one of the best goalies would be cool with me.

To answer the OP, I hope they take the best player available, whoever that is. To be fair, I don't think anyone here knows who that truly is with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

We judge and evaluate these prospects basically on like one or two games we've seen them play.

I'd be interested in seeing who everyone picks, and then seeing them post how many games they've actually seen said prospect play.

The logic on this board is mostly to take MacKinnon because drafting any defenseman is stupid, which is absurd.
It isnt that stupid if he is the BPA but a defenseman will not be the face of the franchise. Nashville doesnt have one. There is Shea Weber but he isnt that face. Look at Chicago, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina and many many more...

Offensive superstars will sell tickets you cant deny that. It is much more fun if you watch a game in which they score a lot of goals instead of shutting other team down..I dont think anyone would be comfortable with having a shutdown D and Clemmensen in goal.

And we ALWAYS had problems scoring goals so that should end it!

Old
04-06-2013, 12:06 AM
smokes lets go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
It isnt that stupid if he is the BPA but a defenseman will not be the face of the franchise. Nashville doesnt have one. There is Shea Weber but he isnt that face. Look at Chicago, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina and many many more...

Offensive superstars will sell tickets you cant deny that. It is much more fun if you watch a game in which they score a lot of goals instead of shutting other team down..I dont think anyone would be comfortable with having a shutdown D and Clemmensen in goal.

People are selling the D core short here. Kulikov/Gudbranson/Campbell is a terrific core and Petrovic/Matheson both have top 4 potential. Losing Garisson hurt a bit though.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Erick

Quote:

Personally, I don't care if it sells tickets.
At the end of the day, the only thing that truly sells tickets is winning.

There have been defensemen who have been looked at as faces of their franchise. Weber would be the face of Nashville, but it just so happens that they have Pekka Rinne, an outstanding goaltender, on their team. Just like we have Jacob Markstrom and Jonathan Huberdeau here.

Was Nick Lidstrom not the face of the Detroit Red Wings before retiring? Is Erik Karlsson the face of the Ottawa Senators? I don't know who the face of the Boston Bruins is, but I'm guessing Zdeno Chara is up there on the list, no? And on, and on, and on.

The point is that defensemen, (especially defensemen who play half a game and are well-rounded), are extremely valuable, as well.

The face of our playoff team last year that sold tickets was a defenseman, as well, for what it's worth.

Let's take the BPA. The guy who is going to help us win the most. That could be a forward, absolutely. But it could also be the defenseman. Keep an open mind about it.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:27 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
In Tallon (and scouting staff) I trust. Does that count?
I actually don't care that much because I know we will end up with a great player in the top four, and thats good enough for me. Plus, I like surprises...

Old
04-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Not that it's what I want to happen, but how is there "no need" for such a thing? Would it upset you if we drafted Jones AND kept Kulikov?

Because, personally, having what would arguably be the best D-core in the NHL one day combined with one of the best goalies would be cool with me.

To answer the OP, I hope they take the best player available, whoever that is. To be fair, I don't think anyone here knows who that truly is with the exception of maybe a couple of people.

We judge and evaluate these prospects basically on like one or two games we've seen them play.

I'd be interested in seeing who everyone picks, and then seeing them post how many games they've actually seen said prospect play.

The logic on this board is mostly to take MacKinnon because drafting any defenseman is stupid, which is absurd.
We should pick the BPA. I also want DT to select the best option that will make franchise in better shape to consistently, make the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup. If he thinks that's Seth Jones, then great. I'm not saying a franchise d-man is less valuable than a franchise center, but the example you continue to mention isn't the most ideal franchise to use as a template, IMO. The Predators have developed and maintained a winning culture to some extent since their inception. Credit to them. However, something to keep in mind, their formula never earned them a Stanley Cup.

Last edited by Don Tibbles: 04-06-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 02:10 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:

I don't think we will end up drafting Jones but if we do, I won't be disappointed.
Your argument is a bit flawed.
Weber is the face of Nashville. Subban is the star for Montreal right now. Pheaneuf is a huge deal in Toronto and he was in Calgary. (Remember the EA sports cover?) Erik Karlsson in Ottawa and Pronger in Philly are other examples.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:37 AM
FrolikFan67

i'd go:
1.MacKinnon
2.Drouin
3.Jones
4.Barkov
5.Lindholm
6.Monahan
in that order.
i dont see why mackinnon would play wing in the nhl, hes played center this whole time and playing wing didnt seem to work too well at the wjc. he'll play center without a doubt. run mackinnon and bjugstad as our top 2 centers would be incredible. we've needed a #1 center for the longest time, and if we have the chance to go with mackinnon, bjugstad, matthias, goc, not to mention shore and trocheck, we'd finally be set at center! he'd compliment huby perfectly and can do it all. then i'd take drouin if mackinnons gone, play him opposite of huberdeau, thatd be incredible. then jones at 3, but i'd still be extremely happy to have jones either way, i'd just prefer mackinnon or drouin.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Cosmonaut

Granted I don't follow prospects as much as I should, but I thought MacKinnon and Drouin were being centered by Frk.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:12 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:

There have been defensemen who have been looked at as faces of their franchise. Weber would be the face of Nashville, but it just so happens that they have Pekka Rinne, an outstanding goaltender, on their team. Just like we have Jacob Markstrom and Jonathan Huberdeau here.

Was Nick Lidstrom not the face of the Detroit Red Wings before retiring? Is Erik Karlsson the face of the Ottawa Senators? I don't know who the face of the Boston Bruins is, but I'm guessing Zdeno Chara is up there on the list, no? And on, and on, and on.

The point is that defensemen, (especially defensemen who play half a game and are well-rounded), are extremely valuable, as well.

The face of our playoff team last year that sold tickets was a defenseman, as well, for what it's worth.

Let's take the BPA. The guy who is going to help us win the most. That could be a forward, absolutely. But it could also be the defenseman. Keep an open mind about it.
And how many of those defensemen you mentioned were drafted in top 10 let alone first overall? The fact is defensmen are very hard to project, their game is harder to translate at the NHL level then forwards. Most elite defensemen were late picks. I think whichever teams win the lottery is screwed, they are going to get pressured into drafting Jones who may or maynot be an impact player over players like McKinnon, Drouin and Barkov. The fact is you can find great dmen later in the draft (Karlsson 16th overall, Lidstrom 3rd round pick, Subban 2nd round pick, Enstrom 8th round pick, Chara 3rd round pick, Letang 2nd round pick, Mike Green 27th overall the list goes on ...) whereas it is rare to find an elite forward in later rounds. While I'm not saying drafting Jones at 1st overall is a waste of a pick, it's better to draft a forward and then draft multiple dmen in 2nd-3rd and 4th rounds. The odds of getting two good players are better that way.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:44 AM
Panthers are Red
Why so sad?

How come trade the pick isn't an option? It's what the Panthers do.

Old
04-06-2013, 05:10 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers are Red View Post
How come trade the pick isn't an option? It's what the Panthers do.
Both times we traded down from #1 to #3, we selected the player we would have taken at #1. Sarcasm failure son.

The only answer should be ; i don't have a friggin clue.

Old
04-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:

We all hope that this will be a winning franchise over year. I dont really have a doubt it is gonna happen with our future.

You are right. They are underlooked on almost every time. That is why you might not think about first hand.

Agreed, they can take a lot of ice time away. Still they might be more known around the league if they score goals. Though they can still be good defenseman ala Mike Weaver.

I am not really sure about which defenseman you are talking right now that sold the tickets in the playoffs?

For sure, but I still dont want Seth Jones. For us it would be the best if Colorado draft Jones 1st overall and we can draft second (MacKinnon). That will also mean Weiss will be gone. I dont mind it.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:09 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

MacKinnon had 4 assists last night in a 7-0 Halifax win (3 assists on the PP). Drouin had 1 goal.

MacKinnon sees the ice so well, and not only is he a great goalscorer, but his passing and vision is also extremely high. Love MacKinnons all-over game.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsFan815 View Post
And how many of those defensemen you mentioned were drafted in top 10 let alone first overall? The fact is defensmen are very hard to project, their game is harder to translate at the NHL level then forwards. Most elite defensemen were late picks. I think whichever teams win the lottery is screwed, they are going to get pressured into drafting Jones who may or maynot be an impact player over players like McKinnon, Drouin and Barkov. The fact is you can find great dmen later in the draft (Karlsson 16th overall, Lidstrom 3rd round pick, Subban 2nd round pick, Enstrom 8th round pick, Chara 3rd round pick, Letang 2nd round pick, Mike Green 27th overall the list goes on ...) whereas it is rare to find an elite forward in later rounds. While I'm not saying drafting Jones at 1st overall is a waste of a pick, it's better to draft a forward and then draft multiple dmen in 2nd-3rd and 4th rounds. The odds of getting two good players are better that way.
I was gonna say the same thing. Actually go ahead and lets look at the guys drafted #1 overall as a d-man in the last 20 yrs:

Jovo in '94
Berard in '95
Phillips in '96
E.Johnson in '06

Thats it and if you think about it objectively, only Jovo made the impact he was supposed to as a #1 overall. Berard & EJ have/were hampered by injuries but that can just as easily happen to Jones too. Phillips has had a nice career, steady top pair d-man but nothing amazing. Even if you added Bouw to that list since he would've been a #1 overall if we didnt trade down, he's also just had a nice career so far but not an elite player by any means. It seems more risky to me to draft a d-man #1 overall.

So if I'm using a #1 overall pick, I'm going to shy away from using it on Jones, personally. THere's just better value at the top of the 1st round in selecting a forward. And like you pointed out, there's a good chance that you can draft a top d-man in the 2nd round or later. Looking at the guys available, I dont like most of the forwards projected to be in the top of the 2nd round but I like a lot of the d-men.

If we won the lottery, I would use our #1 overall pick on MacKinnon for sure and then go draft a d-man in the 2nd round (if he was available still, I would look at Samuel Morin, who's a 6'7" giant).

Old
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
florida pwnthers

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

this is a pretty nice read that gives bit in depth

Old
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:

BPA. BPA. BPA.

People throw that term around as though it actually means something deeply profound.

Guess what, it means nothing absolute - because noone really knows (outside of a Crosby/Ovechkin draft) who the best player is. In the world outside of EA Sports video games, BPA is a subjective measurement - not an objective one.

The best player in this draft may not be McKinnon, Drouin or Jones. Maybe it ends up being Nichushkin... maybe someone else.

You can get pro scouts & your hockey ops to formulate educated opinions and rank players. It's a fairly safe bet their #3 ranked player will turn out better than their #60 (although not a guarantee). It's far less a sure thing that their #3 will turn out better than their #4. It's not an exact science... which is why I think GMs tend to be less excited about the 'tank' concept than us fans. They know that moving up a slot or two in the draft may not pay off IF they draft the wrong guy - which can happen even after all the scouting they draft the consensus 'BPA'.

If you have a scenario where Tallon & company feel that Jones is head & shoulders better than everyone else left on the board - take him. No brainer.

Bottom line is that I think that's not likely to be the case. Jones seems like a very good player, but not a generational one. If it's between him and Drouin, MacKinnon or another forward that Tallon really likes, it would be foolish to ignore team needs and the realities of running a business.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:49 AM
jessebelanger

As bad as our D is, I believe Mackinnon to be the right choice, whether we get him 1st 2nd or 3rd.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:14 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Domi is a good cheap custom jersey

Old
04-06-2013, 11:30 AM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
BPA. BPA. BPA.

People throw that term around as though it actually means something deeply profound.

Guess what, it means nothing absolute - because noone really knows (outside of a Crosby/Ovechkin draft) who the best player is. In the world outside of EA Sports video games, BPA is a subjective measurement - not an objective one.

The best player in this draft may not be McKinnon, Drouin or Jones. Maybe it ends up being Nichushkin... maybe someone else.

You can get pro scouts & your hockey ops to formulate educated opinions and rank players. It's a fairly safe bet their #3 ranked player will turn out better than their #60 (although not a guarantee). It's far less a sure thing that their #3 will turn out better than their #4. It's not an exact science... which is why I think GMs tend to be less excited about the 'tank' concept than us fans. They know that moving up a slot or two in the draft may not pay off IF they draft the wrong guy - which can happen even after all the scouting they draft the consensus 'BPA'.

If you have a scenario where Tallon & company feel that Jones is head & shoulders better than everyone else left on the board - take him. No brainer.

Bottom line is that I think that's not likely to be the case. Jones seems like a very good player, but not a generational one. If it's between him and Drouin, MacKinnon or another forward that Tallon really likes, it would be foolish to ignore team needs and the realities of running a business.
I think you hit the nail on the head, ATF. I also agree with Coolburn. I am not going to argue the fact Jones looks to be a great draft pick, but I personally would feel more comfortable going with Mackinnon. Dmen are just, so, so risky -- even when it looks like nothing could possibly go wrong with the pick.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
BPA. BPA. BPA.

I agree with the principle that BPA is often a convuluted and mis understood term, defined within different measurements, but your second point somewhat contradicts the former.

The scouts should go with who they believe to be the BPA. Who they believe that is, i do not know. I have my own hierarcy of wishes here, as do you, and every poster, but the repetition of these ideas in discussion with BPA shouldn't be confused with the simple concept ; the scouts should select who they believe is the BPA. Simple as that.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:14 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:

Lets see, defenseman faces of the franchise .... bobby orr, Brian leech.....

Old
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I agree with the principle that BPA is often a convuluted and mis understood term, defined within different measurements, but your second point somewhat contradicts the former.

The scouts should go with who they believe to be the BPA. Who they believe that is, i do not know. I have my own hierarcy of wishes here, as do you, and every poster, but the repetition of these ideas in discussion with BPA shouldn't be confused with the simple concept ; the scouts should select who they believe is the BPA. Simple as that.
Scouts don't make the pick though - they simply report back to the GM.

If they think that Jones is the best player - no doubt - he's in a tier by himself - the GM should pick Jones... regardless of team need. I think we are in agreement here.

If the scouts put Jones in a tier of players with McKinnon, Drouin & Nichushkin and feel that he is a bit better, then it's on the GM to make the decision based on all the info available - current skill / upside / personality / team needs / team "blueprint" / etc.

If drafting players were a simple matter of looking at a list and taking the top name on the list (the BPA) , there would really be no need to have a bunch of people sitting in a room on draft day.... you could just have one guy at a table with the list in front of him.

Closed Thread