HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 500
West Standings thru Friday April 5

1. CHI +22
2. ANA +17
3. VAN +9
4. SJ +9
5. LA +8
6. MIN +7
7. STL +6
8. DET +5
9. EDM +2
10. PHX +1, 37gp
11. CBJ +1, 38gp
12. DAL 0, 37gp, 16row
13. NSH 0, 38gp, 14row
14. CGY -6
15. COL -8

Old
04-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*

I don't know where to ask this but who do you expect to get the most starts at goal for the last couple weeks? And do you think Allen will do better than Elliott? I'm asking because I need one of them for my fantasy championship. Any help is appreciated. Go blues!

Old
04-06-2013, 02:05 AM
BlueDream

Elliott has had a good past 2 games so if he can build on it and return to being a decent goalie they might split the time. But, as of right now as to who will probably get more starts, the safe bet is to go with Allen. He has been great, 9-3 on the season, 1 shutout, 2.33 GAA, .911 save%...he's been our best goalie this season and currently gives the team the best chance to win, so while the Blues are fighting for a playoff spot I think that's who Hitch might give the nod to. He keeps looking better and better.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Elliott has had a good past 2 games so if he can build on it and return to being a decent goalie they might split the time. But, as of right now as to who will probably get more starts, the safe bet is to go with Allen. He has been great, 9-3 on the season, 1 shutout, 2.33 GAA, .911 save%...he's been our best goalie this season and currently gives the team the best chance to win, so while the Blues are fighting for a playoff spot I think that's who Hitch might give the nod to. He keeps looking better and better.
To be honest, few in the league knew of this guy Allen... but few knew of Steve Mason before Hitch played him into the Calder either...

Good to see new goalies entering the league.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
To be honest, few in the league knew of this guy Allen... but few knew of Steve Mason before Hitch played him into the Calder either...

The difference bewteen Mason and Allen is. Mason won because his team played a tight defensive game and won games for him while he played average. Allen is the one keeping the Blues in the game most of the time.

Here we go again, on a 3 game winning streak and it means the Blues must be back to trappin away. Not like Allen saved this team from disaster in the middle of the season. Had Allen not played so well, we would not be in a playoffs this year.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Celtic Note
Retro Shanny

Quote:

Plenty of people in the league were well aware of both players. It is not as if they both came out of left field. If you mean there weren't NHL level scouting reports on these guys...well maybe to some degree.

As for Hitch being the reason for the success of Mason & Allen, I disagree. In the case of Allen, he has bailed the Blues out a ton this season. He is seeing an alarming number of high quality shots.

Mason's Calder year was a little better in terms of the defensive play in front of him, but lets not act like he didn't stand on his head in more than a handful of games. Mason played excellent. He wasn't a mere beneficiary.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:

Most Canadian hockey fans knew exactly who Allen was. He was the starting goalie for a WJC team. He was always seen as a very good goalie prospect.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Steve Mason deserved his Calder. He earned it. The fact that he's fallen back to earth doesn't detract from his impressive rookie season.

I'd be shocked if many serious hockey fans didn't know exactly who Jake Allen is, although maybe they lost track of where he was while in Peoria. He's been one of the much-anticipated Canadian Juniors of the last several years.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:12 PM
ExJbeck

How's dag's doing with the devils?

Old
04-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Steve Mason deserved his Calder. He earned it. The fact that he's fallen back to earth doesn't detract from his impressive rookie season.

I'd be shocked if many serious hockey fans didn't know exactly who Jake Allen is, although maybe they lost track of where he was while in Peoria. He's been one of the much-anticipated Canadian Juniors of the last several years.
Many of the more casual fans thought that Allen hit a snag in his development while at Peoria, and thought his career took a nosedive. There were questions about his mental attitude. So, his perceived value as a prospect dipped somewhat. What those people don't know is that those Peoria teams had poor to terrible team defences.

If you watch Allen play, you'll notice that his overall goaltending fundamental skills are good, and his physical attributes are in the high range. He has already proven that his mental makeup is good, by withstanding the pressure of being on the spot in his NHL rookie season, having to fill in at a moment's notice, and not being guaranteed even a back-up job, with the 2 regulars both being available at different times. He has done well, especially given the fact that for most of his games, his team defence has given up tonnes of easy scoring chances (an especially high % of total shots allowed).

Being as he's performed so well under fire in his first several games on short notice, think of how well he'll do once the new defence is fully integrated, and playing better, and once he is more familar with how his teammates play (and they are with his style), and once he knows that he has the job (at least until Halak returns).

Old
04-06-2013, 02:52 PM
CarvinSigX
The Toilet

vCash: 1000
Even last night when Allen gave up the only goal, he was going to protect everything up high had Anisimov not fanned on the shot. The kid sees the ice well and seems to have the size and athleticism to get away with some mistakes, unlike Halak.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Even last night when Allen gave up the only goal, he was going to protect everything up high had Anisimov not fanned on the shot. The kid sees the ice well and seems to have the size and athleticism to get away with some mistakes, unlike Halak.
Yeah I figured Ansimov would have tried to take short side high and then it ended up going five-hole. Oh well. But Allen and Elliott have been great. Aside from Elliott's bad streak of 10 games or so he has been nothing but good for the Blues. I'm more confident going into the playoffs with Allen/Elliott than having Halak blow a game then get hurt the next.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Many of the more casual fans thought that Allen hit a snag in his development while at Peoria, and thought his career took a nosedive. There were questions about his mental attitude. So, his perceived value as a prospect dipped somewhat. What those people don't know is that those Peoria teams had poor to terrible team defences.

If you watch Allen play, you'll notice that his overall goaltending fundamental skills are good, and his physical attributes are in the high range. He has already proven that his mental makeup is good, by withstanding the pressure of being on the spot in his NHL rookie season, having to fill in at a moment's notice, and not being guaranteed even a back-up job, with the 2 regulars both being available at different times. He has done well, especially given the fact that for most of his games, his team defence has given up tonnes of easy scoring chances (an especially high % of total shots allowed).

Being as he's performed so well under fire in his first several games on short notice, think of how well he'll do once the new defence is fully integrated, and playing better, and once he is more familar with how his teammates play (and they are with his style), and once he knows that he has the job (at least until Halak returns).

agree

Old
04-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Schenn Bros Pizza*

Quote:

I've been using either Allen or Elliott for a while now but need to get rid of one for the championship this week. I guess I should keep Allen then?

Old
04-06-2013, 04:03 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

oh my, Patrick Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Bros Pizza View Post
I've been using either Allen or Elliott for a while now but need to get rid of one for the championship this week. I guess I should keep Allen then?
really, really tough but yes, I`d keep Allen

Old
04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Robb_K

Allen's been playing better, and Halak is out until the playoffs. So, I 'd go with Allen. His fundamentals are better, and he's been playing better. The only reason he's not been playing all but 2nd games in back-to-backs is that Hitch has some hesitation because he is a rookie with only a few games under his belt (too small a sample to bet the farm on him, as there is still no NHL scouting book on him). But, each game he plays well adds to the evidence that even Hitch must accept, that Allen gives the Blues a better chance to win than does Elliott 9on average).

I think that very soon, Hitch will need to make the decision to start Allen in every game against the toughest teams, and every game except one of the 2 back-to-backs.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Mike Liut

If Allen continues to play well through the rest of the regular season, and Halak is ready to come back by the playoffs, I wonder who Hitch starts game 1?

Old
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Allen's been playing better, and Halak is out until the playoffs. So, I 'd go with Allen. His fundamentals are better, and he's been playing better. The only reason he's not been playing all but 2nd games in back-to-backs is that Hitch has some hesitation because he is a rookie with only a few games under his belt (too small a sample to bet the farm on him, as there is still no NHL scouting book on him). But, each game he plays well adds to the evidence that even Hitch must accept, that Allen gives the Blues a better chance to win than does Elliott 9on average).

I think that very soon, Hitch will need to make the decision to start Allen in every game against the toughest teams, and every game except one of the 2 back-to-backs.
This is exactly how I see it. However, I think Hitchcock was still giving Elliott room to re-assert himself. He's improved a lot from the abysmal start, and the win at Chicago was important for his career. But even during that win I thought he had some shaky moments. There isn't as much certainty and confidence from him as there is from Allen. (Although maybe Elliott can build on that game.)

I believe Allen will win the starting job, but it won't exactly be announced. He'll just get more starts until the playoffs, then be named the starter for game 1.

I'm just really not sure what they do with Halak. Say he is physically able to come back right around the start of the playoffs. Do you re-insert him into a playoff environment? Do you go with Allen (or possibly Elliott) until he falters, then consider Halak as Plan B? What gives you the best chance to win?

This is going to be tricky for the coaches, and I think Hitchcock has played it right. Allen basically saved the season by coming in and being "above average" and steady. He's steadily grown over his starts to the point where he has stolen a couple games the team didn't really play well enough to win. Neither Elliott nor Halak has done that this season (though both are capable of it).

Could Allen start through all the playoffs and take the Blues to a Cup? I think he would be a smaller question mark than the Backes line is.

Anyway, I suspect he's the guy that will get that role, unless Halak comes back much sooner, but that Hitchcock won't really make a big deal out of publicly naming him the starter (keeping the weight of responsibility more manageable and letting Allen just focus on the next game.)

Old
04-06-2013, 05:13 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Many of the more casual fans thought that Allen hit a snag in his development while at Peoria, and thought his career took a nosedive. There were questions about his mental attitude. So, his perceived value as a prospect dipped somewhat. What those people don't know is that those Peoria teams had poor to terrible team defences
I would say most Canadian fans and casual observers wrote Allen off after his disastrous performance in the 2010 WJC Gold Medal game against the U.S. Anyone remember the vile hate spewed his way in the GDT after that game?

In credit to Allen's makeup, he wasn't going to let one bad game become his defining Junior moment and instead was sensational for Drumondville after the trade deadline. The kid has always had character.

Though I won't lie, I've been completely blown away with how mature his game is on the ice at the NHL level. He looks like he's developed into a legitimate #1 goalie both in physical and technical ability and his aforementioned mental makeup.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:36 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Columbus shut out at home. That's it for them, barring winning out.

Ottawa losing in regulation moves the Blues ahead of them points percentage wise for the first time since very early in the season, so finally Ottawa's 2d is more valuable than the Blues' 2d traded in the Leopold deal.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 AM
BlueDream

I think Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, Edmonton, etc are all done. Phoenix has an outside shot at jumping Detroit but I doubt it. I think Detroit hangs on. I believe the 8 playoff teams in the West are pretty much set, now just to determine the seeds.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I think Columbus, Nashville, Dallas, Edmonton, etc are all done. Phoenix has an outside shot at jumping Detroit but I doubt it. I think Detroit hangs on. I believe the 8 playoff teams in the West are pretty much set, now just to determine the seeds.
Looking at Nashville's roster. Without Weber and Rinne, they are easily the worst team in the NHL. Worse than Calgary.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Looking at Nashville's roster. Without Weber and Rinne, they are easily the worst team in the NHL. Worse than Calgary.
I don't know about that. Thankfully for them they shouldn't have to find out

I think the 8 in the West now all make it.

Pretty surprising at some of the teams in (NYI, TML) and teams out (PHI, CAR) in the East. Not that I'm complaining. Would never wish anything good for the Flyers.

I hope that Bishop becomes the goalie Tampa needs. They are my East team.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
The difference bewteen Mason and Allen is. Mason won because his team played a tight defensive game and won games for him while he played average. Allen is the one keeping the Blues in the game most of the time.

Here we go again, on a 3 game winning streak and it means the Blues must be back to trappin away. Not like Allen saved this team from disaster in the middle of the season. Had Allen not played so well, we would not be in a playoffs this year.
What really happened was it took people a year to notice that Mason dropped his glove and you just needed to shoot high on him and it got in his head. That's why I'm being very cautious with my optimism for Allen. This happens from time to time with rookie goalies, it might be the case that it's taking skaters a bit longer to figure him out.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:27 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Just stumbled across this : Dmitrij Jaskin will make it into Nashville tonight. But unless numbers are to where #stlblues have to play him, he won't play tomorrow. @ lkorac10

Jaskin is bypassing the AHL from juniors and could be in the lineup sooner than we think.

Closed Thread