HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) *Part III*

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2013, 05:57 PM
  #601
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I have it on good authority, from someone who follows the Whale religiously, that McIlrath will never be more than a 5/6 fighting defenseman. I'd like to disagree, as me and this fellow generally disagree on many things regarding the Rangers, but I have no basis to stand on, I haven't seen McIlrath play in a very long time.

Judging by what I'm told, and what I read here, I think he'll be given a shot in camp next season to compete, but will ultimately start the season in the AHL. I think the 13/14 season will see McIlrath get a call up or two for a cup of coffee at the NHL level. It will be the 14/15 season that sees McIlrath inserted into the Rangers top-6 as an NHL regular.

If the above scenario plays out, that is VERY disappointing, IMHO, for a #1 pick. But, defensemen surely do take longer to progress than forwards, especially those that specialize in the stay-at-home game.

With the #10 pick in the 2010 draft, the Rangers filled an organizational need that was empty since Beuk left. I have full confidence in McIlrath becoming a mean SOB at the NHL level who doesn't let anyone get near Lundqvist, and if they try to, they'll pay the price.
A few years ago a buddy of mine connected me with some pretty tuned in hockey guys who saw McIlrath on a regular basis. While they had very strong criticisms they were united in their opinion that the Rangers had made a very shrewd pick. The short take:

Extremely raw but an exceedingly rare combination of maturity, coachability, athleticism, agility, awesome strength, size and down right nastiness.

They geeked out on things like gap control and other scout like nomenclature that I get totally lost in and can't follow to save my skin. But their enthusiasm was easy to read. You don't grab yourself a ladder, go out to the back yard and pick a kid like this off the prospect tree. It does not happen often but if you have a chance to pick a kid like this you take it and smile. Because as one of them pointed out, if the Rangers want a Taresenko they can just go buy one. Few teams have that luxury. The Rangers do (see Nash, Richards, Gabby).

That is consistent with what people like Clark, Gorton and Buek have said right up till recently. I know they work for the org., but they are integrity guys who I trust.

That's all I got here.

Pizza is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 06:19 PM
  #602
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
It's ridiculous to cap McIlrath's potential this early in his career. Absolutely ridiculous.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:12 PM
  #603
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
It's ridiculous to cap McIlrath's potential this early in his career. Absolutely ridiculous.
never been a big fan of mcilrath. sure i love his fighting ability but he doesnt have much hockey skill

NYRangers723 is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
  #604
17futurecap
Registered User
 
17futurecap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 6,706
vCash: 500
Fast with the goal!

17futurecap is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:28 PM
  #605
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Newbury, Kreider, Hrivik, Fast already paying dividends. Four goals in the second to take the lead 4-2!

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
  #606
NYRangers723
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Newbury, Kreider, Hrivik, Fast already paying dividends. Four goals in the second to take the lead 4-2!
fast scored his first goal and kreider has 3 assists

NYRangers723 is online now  
Old
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
  #607
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You can't have it both ways, either you are comparing him to Chara IN SOME WAY or you're not. Which is it?

Ex: "Jim Pavese had no points before 25 yrs old, then look after 25 yrs old - no points. I'm not comparing him to Pavese buuuuuuuut......."
Just pointing out the before and after of a particular player that plays defense. Not saying McIlrath is or ever will be Chara, just that his age might not be indicative of his potential.

But, I think you already knew what I was doing. Right?

haohmaru is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:11 PM
  #608
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,232
vCash: 500
Was this Fasth's first game at CT?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:15 PM
  #609
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Was this Fasth's first game at CT?
Believe so...

Go Whale! Totally goping to a playoff game this year for them

azaloum90 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:35 PM
  #610
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Just pointing out the before and after of a particular player that plays defense. Not saying McIlrath is or ever will be Chara, just that his age might not be indicative of his potential.

But, I think you already knew what I was doing. Right?
Don't worry it was obvious what you were saying and it was harmless. Heeee's just busting balls a little no biggie or at least I think he is

shinchanyo is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
  #611
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Awesome Fast scored his first game!

Green Blob* is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
  #612
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Highlights available here. Jesper Fast's goal here.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:16 PM
  #613
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
if the Rangers want a Taresenko they can just go buy one. Few teams have that luxury. The Rangers do (see Nash, Richards, Gabby).
HUGE difference is Tarasenko does not make 7 million a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Just pointing out the before and after of a particular player that plays defense. Not saying McIlrath is or ever will be Chara, just that his age might not be indicative of his potential.

But, I think you already knew what I was doing. Right?
You were way better off using Beuk as an example, did not play regular minutes in the NHL until he was 23. Using Chara because he's large and plays defense is what a hockey novice would compare MCI to.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:21 PM
  #614
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?
 
RangerBlue62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Highlights available here. Jesper Fast's goal here.
What a touch pass by Kreider and nice top shelf snipe by Fasth.

And LOLOLOLOL at Stu Pickles carrying the puck up ice MDZ style on the PP to start that play.

RangerBlue62 is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:25 PM
  #615
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
What a touch pass by Kreider and nice top shelf snipe by Fasth.

And LOLOLOLOL at Stu Pickles carrying the puck up ice MDZ style on the PP to start that play.
Maybe we should call him up?

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:29 PM
  #616
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
What a touch pass by Kreider and nice top shelf snipe by Fasth.

And LOLOLOLOL at Stu Pickles carrying the puck up ice MDZ style on the PP to start that play.
He jumped into the offense often in Springy last Saturday. It was really funny...and it even works sometimes! Haha. Great stuff from those guys though.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:30 PM
  #617
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov
 
Jarkko Immonen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Imagine this Whale lineup with J.T. Miller in the mix. It's like a score at will forward group. My goodness.

Jarkko Immonen is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:49 PM
  #618
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
HUGE difference is Tarasenko does not make 7 million a season.



You were way better off using Beuk as an example, did not play regular minutes in the NHL until he was 23. Using Chara because he's large and plays defense is what a hockey novice would compare MCI to.
Yeah, that's me, "hockey novice". Been watching since the 70's and still play 3x week in my mid 40's. Here's a dollar, buy a clue. Also, specifically stated twice that I wasn't comparing players, merely ages. Twisting that by throwing childish insults out just makes you look bad.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 PM
  #619
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Bickel on the PP is just a funny sight

Dig Talbot's Ghostbusters mask btw

Looks like Kreider goes to get the puck for Fast

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 12:07 AM
  #620
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Yeah, that's me, "hockey novice". Been watching since the 70's and still play 3x week in my mid 40's. Here's a dollar, buy a clue. Also, specifically stated twice that I wasn't comparing players, merely ages.
Come on, you are a better person that that, no need to get childish.

You were saying 'look at Chara before 25'. There have been MANY huge Dmen who took 4 to 6 years to make it to the NHL. You didn't really have to use anyone, you could say 'big guys like that take awhile'. Yet you chose Chara. A player who really has no comparison, yet if you'd compare MCI to Beuk, it's same example of a guy doing nothing before 25, yet way more realistic perspective.

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
  #621
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Imagine this Whale lineup with J.T. Miller in the mix. It's like a score at will forward group. My goodness.
Add Nicholls, MSC and Lindberg too!!!

BBKers is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 12:49 AM
  #622
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I have it on good authority, from someone who follows the Whale religiously, that McIlrath will never be more than a 5/6 fighting defenseman. I'd like to disagree, as me and this fellow generally disagree on many things regarding the Rangers, but I have no basis to stand on, I haven't seen McIlrath play in a very long time.

Judging by what I'm told, and what I read here, I think he'll be given a shot in camp next season to compete, but will ultimately start the season in the AHL. I think the 13/14 season will see McIlrath get a call up or two for a cup of coffee at the NHL level. It will be the 14/15 season that sees McIlrath inserted into the Rangers top-6 as an NHL regular.

If the above scenario plays out, that is VERY disappointing, IMHO, for a #1 pick. But, defensemen surely do take longer to progress than forwards, especially those that specialize in the stay-at-home game.

With the #10 pick in the 2010 draft, the Rangers filled an organizational need that was empty since Beuk left. I have full confidence in McIlrath becoming a mean SOB at the NHL level who doesn't let anyone get near Lundqvist, and if they try to, they'll pay the price.
This is not consistent with what I have heard from my hockey contacts.

bobbop is online now  
Old
04-06-2013, 12:54 AM
  #623
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I don't read his thing as a comparison because it's so shallow and obvious what he's trying to say and you're missing it I think on purpose. You are severely overexaggerating how much he's "comparing" McI with Chara. But he's feeding
Bottom line, Chara and MCI in same sentence is off limits while I'm in town

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 01:20 AM
  #624
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,172
vCash: 500
Nobody paid attention to it, but Hrivik also scored a goal in his first game back. This team is downright vicious in its offensive ability. Kreider-Newbury-Fast is a monstrous first line, and having Thomas with Hrivik on the second line is just as good. This team should be averaging 4 goals a game in its current incarnation.

Also, Kreider got 2 assists, Noob had 3.

Jean was scratched. Has been pretty useless for a while after a hot start. He's gonna drop like a brick in the next prospect poll. Barring a massive rash of injuries or tremendous improvement in his play in practice, he may not play in the AHL the rest of this season. Keep in mind that this team will be adding Yogan (light injury), Lindberg and St. Croix, all of whom are likely ahead of Kyle Jean.


Last edited by Beacon: 04-06-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Beacon is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 01:23 AM
  #625
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Keep in mind that this team will be adding Yogan (light injury), Lindberg and St. Croix, all of whom are likely ahead of Kyle Jean.
Possibly Miller too. I think he's only with the Rangers still to get treatment for his wrist

JohnC is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.