HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
04-05-2013, 11:52 PM
meng666

vCash: 500
It's malarky!!!!
He played almost a full season last year and won the leafs games.
This year he gets the shaft.
He makes a couple of mistakes and then all of sudden he's trade bait.
It's ********.
Did any of you see him against Schultz this year on the marlies?
Probably not.
He absolutely dominated that game. It's a joke to keep him down there and try to equate it to Kadri. you people are freakin lemmings.
He hates not playing and thinks he deserves to be there.
don't kid yourself.
Remember Carlyle sat Lyles for most of the season and now he is easily our best puck moving defenceman.
Jake Gardiner is a great hockey player and seeing him sit in the press box last night while the leafs lost was a complete shame.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:54 PM
nazembiggs*

Trade him for a young defensive second line center with similar potential. We need a good two way center who's relatively young to be a 1-2 punch with kadri. Bozak slots In the third center spot and mcClement on the fourth. Get rid of grabo and were set at center for years to come. Currently defense is a huge strength of ours as we have tons of depth on D. Riely, lies , franson, and blacker all have a similar puck moving game as gardener. I think his talents would be wasted here and he should be moved to a team that can use a young puck moving d-man.

nazembiggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:00 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
That was hard to read^
And I disagree, gardiner stays until we know what we have with him.

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:01 AM
meng666

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazembiggs View Post
Trade him for a young defensive second line center with similar potential. We need a good two way center who's relatively young to be a 1-2 punch with kadri. Bozak slots In the third center spot and mcClement on the fourth. Get rid of grabo and were set at center for years to come. Currently defense is a huge strength of ours as we have tons of depth on D. Riely, lies , franson, and blacker all have a similar puck moving game as gardener. I think his talents would be wasted here and he should be moved to a team that can use a young puck moving d-man.
As a Kadri fan I'm surprised that you advocate moving a highly skilled prospect. To be honest, I've seen Jake control more games than Kadri and I'm a huge Kadri mark.

meng666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I don't want to move him, I'm saying I'm resigned to it happening, because he seems like a Modin, Sullivan or Smith who were promising kids who somehow found themselves on the outside looking in when the team started climbing and they didn't fit into what was going on.

Kadri succeeding here this season seems like a bit of a miracle if you listen to the amount of times Burke and co. were willing to throw him out with the bathwater. If Philly, Phoenix and Vancouver had been willing, he'd have been moved for M. Richards, Yandle or Luongo ages ago.
3 elite players who we would be lucky to have in our organization (Luongo you can question mark but Richards just won a SC and Yandle would be amazing to pair with Dion) are different than simply using one prospect to move up to get another prospect. As much as I like Jake I would have a much easier time moving him for elite roster players than moving up in a draft, not to mention the EXACT SAME THING was being said about Kadri and look at what is happening now? So many posters were convinced he was never going to be a part of our organization moving forward. Like players with those skills are just shipped out for no guarantees

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:43 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

i think the reason why his name is coming up in rumors is most teams want him. I am not advocating it (like making threads) but i wouldn't mind a couterier for gardiner deal. big skilled center would look great on our top line... but i wouldn't be "dealing" gardiner just like philly isn't "dealing" couterier, just like jvr and schenn last year, there just similar in value and help both teams. This is why you draft BPA....

Last edited by pooleboy: 04-06-2013 at 01:48 AM.
pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:04 AM
MoeMoney

One of the most perplexing things I've seen in Leafland in a long time has been the sudden 180 fans have done on Gardiner. Sweet Jeebus it's frustrating, trade Jake Gardiner are you kidding me?

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:07 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

gardiner's not getting traded anywhere, relax people.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:08 AM
MoeMoney

Jake Gardiner is an absolute stud and a damn fine prospect, that hasn't changed in a lockout shortened 48 game season. He's all of a sudden become trade bait why? I'm just having a hard time understanding where the trade Gardiner discussions are coming from. Keep in mind he's been paired with Mike Kotska in the 5 or so games he's played with the Leafs this year, that can make anyone look bad defensively.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Tak7

It shocks me how many people refuse to accept a patient approach with Jake Gardiner, but then put the very same patient approach as being a huge factor into why Nazem Kadri is turning into the player he is.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Offspring

I second the notion that we don't consider anything drastic with Gardiner until he's fully developed. We've seen patience pay off in droves this year with Kadri, we've seen our utter lack of depth on defense (Kostka/Holzer as #2 d-men anybody?)...I simply cannot imagine why we'd want to move Gardiner anytime soon.

Trading Gardiner for a forward is ludicrous if you ask me. We're 6th league wide in scoring...if anything, we move him for a stay at home d-man.

Offspring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:58 AM
CBinTokyo

vCash: 245
What's Jake's pay differential between the AHL and the Leafs?

CBinTokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:38 AM
hotpaws

Gards had been a healthy scratch because RC doesn't trust him in our end at this time . That doesn't mean the team wants to ship him out or don't see him as part of the future but it does mean he has to improve in our end as he develops .

I could see him traded if the right player is available but that doesn't the team doesn't value him . You have to give to get and the ultimate goal is improving the team .

RC isn't going to dress him and JML since neither can partner nor play with DP and we need balance in our pairings .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:46 AM
sommervr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
REALLY!?!?

If you're using Gardiner to move up in the draft, and your aspirations are to draft Max Domi, you should be fired.

It only makes sense if he's in a package for an impact player, AKA: a top 10 pick.

Moving up for Barkov/Drouin/MacKinnon sure, but Domi!?!?

No way.
I didn't say this would be a smart thing to do. I am saying that this would be a very Leaf thing to do.

Personally I think it would be a big mistake and we would be giving up a future Phil Housley.

And Max Domi is going top ten.

sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:06 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
I didn't say this would be a smart thing to do. I am saying that this would be a very Leaf thing to do.

Personally I think it would be a big mistake and we would be giving up a future Phil Housley.

And Max Domi is going top ten.
Domi isn't a top 10 prospect in this years draft , he might go there based on his last name but I have no desire trading Gards to draft an skilled but undersized forward .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:56 AM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I wouldn't want to trade him either. I have a soft spot for young offensive defensemen, but the stars seem to be crossed with them and Toronto more often than not, case in point Bryan Berard, Kenny Jonsson, all those kids in the 80s, and weirdly enough, Randy Carlyle...

Key for me if it happens is we get great assets back.
I don't think we'll be doing that as much as before. Gardiner is going to be very difficult to acquire in the market. He is a phenomenal skater and if he can improve his defensive game will be very dangerous. Maybe even a Niedermayer-lite.

Gardiner is still young, we'll keep him around imo.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
It shocks me how many people refuse to accept a patient approach with Jake Gardiner, but then put the very same patient approach as being a huge factor into why Nazem Kadri is turning into the player he is.
But this isn't like Kadri's situation.

It's as if Nazem Kadri came off a breakout year like this, and then spent the bulk of next year in the minors and was a healthy scratch in favor of Ryan Hamilton.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:18 AM
DaveT83

Phaneuf + ?

Fraser
Franson

O'Byrne
Liles

DaveT83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:25 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Carlyle said that Gardiner is ready to play, however they are going to try him on the other side (right I think?) and are working with him in practice to improve his defensive play.

There was such an uproar to get him up by fans, media, his agent that Carlyle was left with no choice but to call him up. So now he isn't ready, and can't go down to the marlies to get playing time.
Nice rational post.

Have we learned nothing about waiting until young players are truly ready?

And I know I'll get the "he played great last year" argument, but it was a completely different system where offense was king, and the GA was amongst the worst in league.

The kid's only been playing defence for about 6 years, it's going take some time. Relax.

Last edited by egd27: 04-06-2013 at 09:00 AM.
egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
scosar

[QUOTE=egd27;63417003]Nice rational post.

And I know I'll get the "he played great last year" argument, but it was a completely different system where offense was king, and the GA was amongst the lowest in league.

That's just it. Last year was a disaster and the kid was a highlight on a sad season. But everyone looked at his above average offence and overlooked how he was soft in his own end and was out of position a lot It didn't matter last year as the season was lost. This year the points are crucial and RC can't afford to wait and develop Gaerdiner.

scosar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
goonx

people wanted to "FREE" jake gardiner.

he's free now instead of playing top minutes in the marlies. Happy people? now there's something wrong with RC and jake.

that's the problem with leaf land.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosar View Post
It didn't matter last year as the season was lost. This year the points are crucial and RC can't afford to wait and develop Gaerdiner.
Gardiner's played 7 games, and as much as we're in a playoff push we're also developing kids, or should be. Hence the two goalies, our leading scorer, etc. Why did we waste so much time playing two rookies in Holzer and Kostka who aren't performing either?

Old
04-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post

he's free now instead of playing top minutes in the marlies. Happy people? now there's something wrong with RC and jake.

It's been a Carlyle problem the whole season.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:01 AM
RhyZa

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonx View Post

he's free now instead of playing top minutes in the marlies. Happy people?

Except he isn't free. He went from the prison to the hole.

No good management should be influenced by pressure, so I'll assume they thought he was ready when they called him up, but felt he wasn't after a few games.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Leafmon1

He hasn't looked sharp at all except for a few flashes of offensive prowness. This isn't really the best time of year to take chances with a defensive liability if there is a safer option out there, (although not by much). He should see more ice soon though. That being said, I don't think that there are any plans to trade him at this point.

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote