HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38 |New York Islanders vs. Washington Capitals | Apr 4 | 7 PM | L/SO 2-1

Old
04-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Riddick

vCash: 500
the rolston contact was 5mil in straight up salary. and yes, they dumped hunter and the remaining two years of that contract but there's no way that money was well spent.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:22 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm happy with the way the Isles played, they were excellent defensively. Hickey and Martinek were particularly good.

Boyes and Moulson are horrible players....I can't seem to avoid making that state,net every game....maybe secretly hoping Capuano's niece/nephew send him the link to a post.

Bailey/Okposo have been outstanding of late.

Cizikas, Martin, McDonald, Aucoin, Reasoner (yes, him), Nielsen just continue to play excellent all around hockey.

Grabner needs to play with Nielsen, no point having him out there by himself.

The lines need a major shake up. I think it's time Boyes and Aucoin sit for a game or two.
And further stressing our need for a number 2 center. I love Nielsen and it's great to see him handle those duties pretty well but depth-wise he should be on the third.

I think as long as Okposo and Bailey stay together they would be ok. I can see both Strome and/or Nelson slotting in nicely between them eventually.

Nielsen and Grabner have such balanced playing styles. The other night Nielsen was still on the ice when Grabner got out and he knew exactly where to put the puck by lifting it behind the opposing D to find Grabs in the offensive zone for a scoring chance. It seemed instinctual. You would think they play together every night. Giving our offense another dynamic for other teams to defend against would be huge.

Also agree on Martinek. Thought he had an excellent game.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
the rolston contact was 5mil in straight up salary. and yes, they dumped hunter and the remaining two years of that contract but there's no way that money was well spent.
Nobody is arguing that it was well spent. Obviously, it wasn't. But, look at the net payout and it's pretty evident that bringing in Rolston was done to get to the floor as cheaply as possible. It was a financial move, not a hockey one.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Riddick

right, but whether you spent 2mil with Hunter oand 3mil on another player or 5mil on ****ing rolston, it was a poor move.

Old
04-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Isles Junkie

LOL why are you guys talking about Brian Rolston?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Riddick

because the point I was making is that you can't use the financial constraints as a plus for snow considering how absolutely crap he has been with the players he had brought in. has ONE free agent worked out?

Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
because the point I was making is that you can't use the financial constraints as a plus for snow considering how absolutely crap he has been with the players he had brought in. has ONE free agent worked out?
The guy with the "C" on his jersey?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
right, but whether you spent 2mil with Hunter oand 3mil on another player or 5mil on ****ing rolston, it was a poor move.
Look at it from a purely cash standpoint. 2 years of Hunter = $4m, 1 year of Rolston = $5m, plus he was traded at the deadline, so it was actually $3,950,000 paid out to Rolston.

The Isles actually saved money and got to the cap floor. It wasn't a hockey move designed to improve the team. It was a cash saving move. Understand that.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:30 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glubrat View Post
I do believe Martin could serve that role...he's a hitter and captained the sarnia sting in his junior days. Guy has skills.
Yes....either Martin or Lee should skate with JT.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercrazy View Post
Yes....either Martin or Lee should skate with JT.
What in Lee's 9 minutes of ice time on Tuesday night indicated that this player is ready to skate with John Tavares on the top line? Maybe one day. But right now, Lee's defensive play makes Brad Boyes look like a Selke candidate.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
What in Lee's 9 minutes of ice time on Tuesday night indicated that this player is ready to skate with John Tavares on the top line? Maybe one day. But right now, Lee's defensive play makes Brad Boyes look like a Selke candidate.
let the kids play? Can we see what he can do? He's proven all he could at that level? He's not gonna win the Art Ross on line 4. Blah blah blah....

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Macch

Just watched the game. Man i don't think Bailey and KO have ever looked this good. They might not be racking up the points, but they finally look like players looking to take charge. We say this almost every season but hopefully something has clicked. As mentioned a lot on the boards, playing together seems to fit them. I think that line could attack the net more, still too much perimeter play for my liking, but they are the best line on the team transitioning defense to offense. Rarely do you see them hemmed in their own zone for a long time.

Its the exact opposite for the JT line. Nothing new here, but I don't think it was shocking that one of JT's best shifts was when he was with CMac and Cizikias. Boyes and Moulson are just not good enough in their own zone. Moulson seems to be playing a lot more on the perimeter and a lot less in front of the net as well. In a perfect world, JT would play with a Frans type player. Good skater, passer and good in his defensive zone. Someone who will do the dirty work in the corners. I've been saying it for awhile, but the line needs to be split up. Hopefully the lack of time Boyes got in OT is a sign for things to come. I think he should have been benched after that awful penalty he took on the PP

Good news is the Isles seem to developing the identity of a hardworking team that is good on the boards.

Other notes, Aucoin and Reasoner do nothing for me, but I don't know if there are replacements right now. I'd still like to see what JJ can do. He is another big body and i think he deserves a look.

Defense played well together. I think I prefer Martinek to Carkner just because Marty is a better skater.

Depsite Nabby's soft goal, he more than made up for it during the rest of the game.

Last edited by Macch: 04-05-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Caps fan here to say good game. Both goalies were unreal. JT scares the **** out of me every time he's on the ice; he'll be a superstar in a few seasons. Needs to add some bulk but he's nasty. You guys have a solid future if Wang doesn't sell your young guys to save himself some $$. Please just go ahead and beat the Bolts on Saturday. Thanks in advance.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Caps fan here to say good game. Both goalies were unreal. JT scares the **** out of me every time he's on the ice; he'll be a superstar in a few seasons. Needs to add some bulk but he's nasty. You guys have a solid future if Wang doesn't sell your young guys to save himself some $$. Please just go ahead and beat the Bolts on Saturday. Thanks in advance.
thanks, yea, holtby was great....

JT already is a superstar

We will definitely do our best to beat them....I want you guys to win out and just take the SE (beat every team from 5-14)

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Just watched the game. Man i don't think Bailey and KO have ever looked this good. They might not be racking up the points, but they finally look like players looking to take charge. We say this almost every season but hopefully something has clicked. As mentioned a lot on the boards, playing together seems to fit them. I think that line could attack the net more, still too much perimeter play for my liking, but they are the best line on the team transitioning defense to offense. Rarely do you see them hemmed in their own zone for a long time.
The thing I've noticed about the line is that it's basically three natural centers. They're much more fluid defensively and in the neutral zone than any of the other lines. (Especially the first line where I sometimes swear that Moulson and Boyes act like the figures in old arcade hockey.) You really can't tell who is centering the line at any particular time, except in the defensive zone it's usually one of Okie or Nielsen.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:10 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
Define superstar because imo he already is one.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:12 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post

Its the exact opposite for the JT line. Nothing new here, but I don't think it was shocking that one of JT's best shifts was when he was with CMac and Cizikias. Boyes and Moulson are just not good enough in their own zone. Moulson seems to be playing a lot more on the perimeter and a lot less in front of the net as well. In a perfect world, JT would play with a Frans type player. Good skater, passer and good in his defensive zone. Someone who will do the dirty work in the corners. I've been saying it for awhile, but the line needs to be split up. Hopefully the lack of time Boyes got in OT is a sign for things to come. I think he should have been benched after that awful penalty he took on the PP

Good news is the Isles seem to developing the identity of a hardworking team that is good on the boards.

Other notes, Aucoin and Reasoner do nothing for me, but I don't know if there are replacements right now. I'd still like to see what JJ can do. He is another big body and i think he deserves a look.

Defense played well together. I think I prefer Martinek to Carkner just because Marty is a better skater.

Depsite Nabby's soft goal, he more than made up for it during the rest of the game.
That's why I don't understand Capuano's coaching decisions. Boyes and Moulson are very similar players, why would you play them together? Need to have more balanced lines. That's like when Streit and Visnovsky are out on the ice at the same time, it just doesn't work.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:22 AM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Define superstar because imo he already is one.
I meant that in a few seasons he looks like he'll be borderline unstoppable.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
That's why I don't understand Capuano's coaching decisions. Boyes and Moulson are very similar players, why would you play them together? Need to have more balanced lines. That's like when Streit and Visnovsky are out on the ice at the same time, it just doesn't work.
The organization is as myopic as many posters who think scorers score, hitters hit, two way guys play two way and never the twine shall meet.

Line 1 has to be physical and better on defense for us to succeed. Every line needs to have a scoring threat, hitting and play solid D. Moulson has to play better D but can get a pass on hitting if he's scoring. He's not right now...so he better be hitting, protecting JT, things you should expect all players to do without the puck. Boyes.....he better start showing something or net ten goals from hereon in.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
This has been my argument since before the start of the season. JT needs a winger with creativity and mobility out there. As redbull (I believe it was redbull) originally pointed out, this line is a fabulous PP line, but atrocious 5-on-5; and their play hasn't suggested otherwise. I think it's time for a line shakeup as well, however, I wouldn't touch the 2nd line. Nielsen ideally should be on the 3rd line with Grabs, they do have that instinctual chemistry and fluidity; wasted talent, like JT. I know it's been thrown around here lately, but maybe give Nelson/Strome/Nino a shot at infusing add'l talent, albeit during a PO race?

I'm glad this team is keeping themselves in the race; they are finding ways to manufacture points via timely defense, timely saves, or timely goals, however, I keep wondering how good they'd be IF they had a true 2nd line center, a true top-4 vet. D man (not named Mark Streit), and that creative winger for JT.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
He decided Rolston was worth $5m because he got rid of Hunter's $4m in the process. He traded Rolston at the deadline in a "hey can you do me a favor" trade with the Bruins and ended up actually saving money if you math it out. Pandolfo was signed to one of those ********* contracts with the inflated bonus money.

It's all about the money and cap hits... not who's the best player for the team.
^ This. And that is why the team on the ice will have to always be swimming upstream. They will have to be greater than the sum of their parts to do anything becuse we refuse to spend on those parts if it threatens to be a dime over the cap floor.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 03:20 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

One thing I noticed from last game was Okposo's shifts. He always would take way longer shifts than he should have. Recently, while his shifts have still been long, he does a good job of not getting caught tired in the d-zone. I think we all got mad when he would be out there tired and pinned in the zone, but now he's really been avoiding that problem imo.

nyiguy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:44 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
I really loathe stating this but we have actually have played better in the 3rd as of late. The team is now hitting a point where other lines are scoring. Winning is now a must instead of "Well there is always next year" or "It's not like were getting killed out there". I don't want to say "major strides" just yet but there are signs of things starting to come together. Throw in the chance of Strome,Nino, and Donovan being up here next year and we become contenders instead of pretenders.
Again those 3 will have their up's and downs but the future is so bright I gotta wear shades = )

04-06-2013, 03:45 AM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
let the kids play? Can we see what he can do? He's proven all he could at that level? He's not gonna win the Art Ross on line 4. Blah blah blah....
Robot Chicken?

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Robot Chicken?
nah that's Team America World Police (Trey Parker and Matt Stone's marionette movie).

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote