HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYI at Caps. 7PM. 4.4.2013: Playoffs?!

Old
04-05-2013, 12:31 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
They're making progress but they only seem fundamentally sound when they're winning races all over the ice, which is more about system play and work ethic than execution with the puck. When it's at a much more competitive pace they resemble the same old one-gear team that can't really elevate their game or play with greater urgency when needed.

We'll find out more about them in the final eleven games as the strength of schedule picks up. The two vs. TB will be big and five of their last six games are against playoff teams.
You don't think the break-out looks light years better this year than it has in the past? I'll also disagree with your second point. I've seen the Caps turn on the heat and come back from 1-2 goals numerous times during this stretch, often late in the game.

I will agree 100% with your second paragraph. 4 points in regulation (at least on Saturday) this weekend in Florida would be huge.

AlexBrovechkin8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
I like what I'm seeing and at the right time. Sorry, I've been down on GM for a while, and I wasn't against tanking if things had gotten just a little more bleak than they were, but the only issue with this team is a very young D needing to sure things up. I don't know if it's a coaching problem or what but the talent is here. My only complaint (now that everyone is healthy) is Orlov sitting. Maybe he's hurt. If not, benching him for any of the Hillen/Kund/Poti/Sarge mess is beyond brain dead. Fixing the awful PK would do a great deal of good.
It pains me to say this because I liked Calle Johansson as a player, but I don't think he is the guy for assistant coach. I'm giving him more time though.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
bgroban

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
It pains me to say this because I liked Calle Johansson as a player, but I don't think he is the guy for assistant coach. I'm giving him more time though.
What is your namesake up to these days? With a team of puck-moving defensemen, maybe he is the guy we need behind the bench.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
I feel the same way. He just comes across as awkward to me for some reason. I guess we'll see if things work out.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
What is your namesake up to these days? With a team of puck-moving defensemen, maybe he is the guy we need behind the bench.
Last I heard he has his own hockey stick business and living the good life. Such a shame his career was cut short with those nasty injuries. I don't think he would have the patience with some of the players as a coach. I can just see him telling GMGM, "Wtf did you draft Jeff Schultz".

Speaking of him and having the TDL a few days ago, I think back to 1994. I remember coming home from work on the TDL and Bill Pito stating, "The Caps have sent the Wild Thing Al Iafrate to Boston for Joey Juneau". Outside of losing Stevens in the 1990 offseason that left a huge pit in my stomach. I cursed Poile and ranted on an on about why couldn't it been Hatcher. Juneau went on to save our 95 season with Bondra and the GWG in the ECF in 1998. Not to mention we won our first playoff series since 1991 and upsetting the Penguins in 94. I am keeping optimism the Erat/Latta for Forsberg trade will work like that trade in 94. At least I'm hoping it will.

As for Hatcher, he ended up getting Tinordi. Pretty cool when the Caps were able to get him. Tinordi was a beast for the North Stars in 1991 playoffs. When I saw Pitkanen get injured the other night, that reminded me of Tinordi's injury back in 1992. He was still a great player, but never the same after that. I will say one thing, Poile will make the trades and he seemed to try and get defensemen I liked growing up, (Iafrate, Tinordi, Johansson and he almost had Dave Manson). For some reason GMGM just can't fathom building a defensive corps like Poile put on the ice.

Old
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Calle does come off pretty terribly in interviews, whereas Jim Johnson appeared extremely competent in them. It's easy to get enamored (or not) with those appearances, but they ultimately may not mean much. The defense hasn't been good, but knowing the assistant coach's role/impact there is difficult, and the personnel is questionable at best. I certainly wouldn't be sad to see him go, but I think it's kind of pointless for us to speculate on his performance.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Halpysback*

The defense was all Johnson.

His man to man scheme that he was able to implement successfully gave absolutely no space for other teams to get creative in our zone. Right now everyone stands around and loses the play after 10 seconds. Much softer in front of the net as well.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Foy

What I remember most about the Montreal series was the goaltender interference call in the 3rd period of game 7 in which no one touched the goaltender and no one was in the crease.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:11 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Last I heard he has his own hockey stick business and living the good life.
It's up in a Vancouver suburb. He and Cliff Ronning are also "shot consultants", which I think means you pay a bunch of money to watch a video of your sad-ass slapshot and hang out with one of them for an hour. I kind of want to go up and do it at some point, actually, since those were two of my favorite players.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:12 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
What I remember most about the Montreal series was the goaltender interference call in the 3rd period of game 7 in which no one touched the goaltender and no one was in the crease.
Mike Knuble's reputation was in the crease. That still bugs me.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:27 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
It's up in a Vancouver suburb. He and Cliff Ronning are also "shot consultants", which I think means you pay a bunch of money to watch a video of your sad-ass slapshot and hang out with one of them for an hour. I kind of want to go up and do it at some point, actually, since those were two of my favorite players.
Ah cool, if I move back into the Seattle area again, I'll be sure to check thought that out. Ronning was a great player also.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
For all these many years of disappointment, that's easily a top-10 worst Caps moment. After the way they dominated that series and how hard they fought through Halak's performance. ****ing refs.

californiacapsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

It's not a coincidence that Jim Johnson has San Jose top 5 in GA/G and #3 in PK. Calle comes across as an incompetent coach in interviews because he is incompetent, and this was known before he was hired. I wouldn't trust him to run a NHL 13 team.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
For all these many years of disappointment, that's easily a top-10 worst Caps moment. After the way they dominated that series and how hard they fought through Halak's performance. ****ing refs.
That and the 6.6 seconds left. I had a graduation dinner to go to for my youngest sister that game 7 and I remember sneaking and listening to the game. I blurted out "Damn you Green" when he took the penalty. Then the car battery died and I made it home just in time for the final five minutes. Such pain all these years. We're do some good luck sometime, I hope. The first round loss to the Rangers in 1986 and Lafontaine's Easter goal hurts.

1. Game 7 goal washed out in 2010
2. 6.6 seconds penalty by Ward in 2012
3. Jaromir Jagr game 7 goal in 1992
4. Joffrey Lupul's game 7 goal in 2008
5. Caps/Rangers 1st Round 1986
6. Take your pick of Game 7s with Pittsburgh.
7. Gonchar coughing up the puck to Straka
8. Lafontaine's Game 7 Easter goal.
9. Ray Ferraro killing us in 1993.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
even worse because they had gotten knuble for that exact play. some to go to the net at crunch time and the playoffs and create a goal. either off his own stick or by creating a screen and a distraction.

he was there for that. it worked. they scored. that one play in effect derailed the ovechkin era. all because knuble did what he was hired to do.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:47 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

The thing that got me was Game 7 vs the Flyers, the obvious interference, but the fact he shoved him right into the Caps goalie and it all stands, then Ovechkin hits Gill and they some how turn that goal over even though they can't and they gave the Caps the run around as far as explaining why they waived it off.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
That and the 6.6 seconds left. I had a graduation dinner to go to for my youngest sister that game 7 and I remember sneaking and listening to the game. I blurted out "Damn you Green" when he took the penalty. Then the car battery died and I made it home just in time for the final five minutes. Such pain all these years. We're do some good luck sometime, I hope. The first round loss to the Rangers in 1986 and Lafontaine's Easter goal hurts.

I'll just be sobbing in my whiskey...

Old
04-05-2013, 08:54 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
even worse because they had gotten knuble for that exact play. some to go to the net at crunch time and the playoffs and create a goal. either off his own stick or by creating a screen and a distraction.

he was there for that. it worked. they scored. that one play in effect derailed the ovechkin era. all because knuble did what he was hired to do.
indeed.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:39 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

John MacLean's tip goal due to weird offsides play that wasn't offsides in 88.

Tampa series in 03 where we were about to go up 3-0 before the Refs took over. Jagr mugged in corner and somehow they were awarded a 5-3 in OT.

Tampa series a couple years ago where pretty much all there goals were prayers chucked at the net that found a skate and went in.

Joe Juneau's weak penatly shot OT attempt (puck bouncing) vs Pens in 96.

Rick Tocchets goal from behind the net in 89 in game 6 when Peeters was doing all he can to choke the Caps hopes away.

There is much more FAIL to go around

Old
04-06-2013, 07:45 AM
msrulo

I hate the bad memories, more recently it's game 5 and 7 against NYR.

Isles are coming strong again just like their time in the 70s and 80s.

History says the Caps are a complete fail.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:47 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I hate the bad memories, more recently it's game 5 and 7 against NYR.

Isles are coming strong again just like their time in the 70s and 80s.
Isles have a good competitive and fast team. But there is a problem with them..

Their 2 top D - Streit and Vishnovsky are older as is Nabakov. They need replacements for those guys soon as they rely heavily on them.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:52 AM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Isles have a good competitive and fast team. But there is a problem with them..

Their 2 top D - Streit and Vishnovsky are older as is Nabakov. They need replacements for those guys soon as they rely heavily on them.
I agree. I think at least 2 of their prospects might come as replacements for these. They maybe a dangerous team in 1-2 years... Hopefully their prospects bust. If not, they will be Capital-killers for years to come.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:22 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I agree. I think at least 2 of their prospects might come as replacements for these. They maybe a dangerous team in 1-2 years... Hopefully their prospects bust. If not, they will be Capital-killers for years to come.
I don't know much about their prospects tbh. I do know some of their young guys like Hamonic have greatly improved

Old
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Foy

How about Caps down a man in OT against the Penguins,and Boyd Gordon just get's level behind the play, well away from the puck allowing Malkin to break up the ice and lead to the GWG in OT in essentially 5 on 3.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
How about Caps down a man in OT against the Penguins,and Boyd Gordon just get's level behind the play, well away from the puck allowing Malkin to break up the ice and lead to the GWG in OT in essentially 5 on 3.
It actually led to a 5-on-3. Fedorov got called for tripping a few seconds after Malkin tripped Gordon (and Jurcina was the one who had taken the Caps penalty even though Feds got called for it).

Pens scored 5-on-3, deflected in by Poti that time, IINM.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote