HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Gardiner's Future

Old
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
RhyZa

vCash: 500
Either way, he has to play now.

This is nothing like the Kadri situation. He cannot develop in the press-box, he simply has to play through it, and figure it out.

His offensive upside makes him much better than at least 1, if not 2 of our defenders.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:11 AM
darrylsittler27

Our glaring weakness.

If someone offered us a top 4/5 pick this year for him,who wouldn't look at that ?It isn't saying Gardiner wont be good but look at our organization.We have a lot of defenseman and it looks like Franson just took a top 4 spot.Reilly may be ready soon with Finn,Percy not far behind. Our glaring weakness is the need for a star center, if someone offers Nonnis one for Gardiner he has to look at it.As long as Carlyle is here,Gardiner may not get top 4 minutes.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Interactif

Rielly may be the biggest factor whether Gardiner stays a Leaf or is moved. I really don't see us keeping both. This team needs one elite PMD man with vision and skill, the other wild card is Stu Percy and Matt Finn. I can see one of the 4 being moved to address needs elsewhere. To me this is Gardiner.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Drew75

If only there was precedent of players struggling in their second year ... oh wait ...

"There is nothing to see here folks" ...

Gardiner had an awesome rookie year, then the lockout, had the injury, and has lost his confidence since. He's gripping the stick too tight, trying to do too much, and it's not working. It's OK though - because it's something that has happened over 100 times to players in the league before. He'll be absolutely fine next year, and back on track to being a very good #2 or #3 Dman on the team.

As to RC - I see nothing to worry about, let alone the level of conspiracy theory panic on these boards.

Gardiner - this year - has been a liability in his own end. RC is not going to play a player that is a liability in his own end. Gardiner will be sheltered, and work on his defensive play in practice, maybe getting a few games with limited minutes. Gardiner and Carlyle (and the other coaches) have probably talked about what he needs to work on 25 times already, as every indication is that Carlyle is a very open coach. There is no evidence of any issue, other than BS spouted here and in blogs.

A career is not made as a point-in-time assessment. There is a learning curve, ups and downs, and RC has shown historically that he actually very good at managing that.

Kadri was sheltered with limited minutes even though he was lighting it up at the top of the year because RC was building his confidence, limiting the pressure. RC protected and was patient with guys like Getzlaf and Corey, Fowler and Ryan. Do you think going out and having bad game after bad game in the toughest market in hockey is good for a young players confidence?

Gardiner will be fine. RC and Gardiner are fine. Gardiner will be a regular next year, and be better for the experience of this year. The same curve, patience, and protection will happen with Reilly, Colborne, Biggs, etc.

When we these boards learn that a patient approach to players development is a good thing? I thought Kadri would have been the lesson.

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Interactif

People saying Gardiner is an established NHL'er based on 75 games under a leaky Defensive Coach, team, and system are jumping the gun. He could be the player he is today under real NHL coaching. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. He keeps struggling defensively and his value may not be as high next year.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:36 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Personally I hope once we clinch a playoff spot, Carlyle opens the barn doors and allows Gardiner to play freely.

I think Randy is really feeling the pressure to make the playoffs and he doesn't wanna jeopardize it. I really hope Gardiner gets some solid playing time.

We're obviously not gunning for the Cup this year. This season/post-season is a learning experience.

BlueMapleDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Jake Gardiner
He's everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew75 View Post
If only there was precedent of players struggling in their second year ... oh wait ...

"There is nothing to see here folks" ...

Gardiner had an awesome rookie year, then the lockout, had the injury, and has lost his confidence since. He's gripping the stick too tight, trying to do too much, and it's not working. It's OK though - because it's something that has happened over 100 times to players in the league before. He'll be absolutely fine next year, and back on track to being a very good #2 or #3 Dman on the team.

As to RC - I see nothing to worry about, let alone the level of conspiracy theory panic on these boards.

Gardiner - this year - has been a liability in his own end. RC is not going to play a player that is a liability in his own end. Gardiner will be sheltered, and work on his defensive play in practice, maybe getting a few games with limited minutes. Gardiner and Carlyle (and the other coaches) have probably talked about what he needs to work on 25 times already, as every indication is that Carlyle is a very open coach. There is no evidence of any issue, other than BS spouted here and in blogs.

A career is not made as a point-in-time assessment. There is a learning curve, ups and downs, and RC has shown historically that he actually very good at managing that.

Kadri was sheltered with limited minutes even though he was lighting it up at the top of the year because RC was building his confidence, limiting the pressure. RC protected and was patient with guys like Getzlaf and Corey, Fowler and Ryan. Do you think going out and having bad game after bad game in the toughest market in hockey is good for a young players confidence?

Gardiner will be fine. RC and Gardiner are fine. Gardiner will be a regular next year, and be better for the experience of this year. The same curve, patience, and protection will happen with Reilly, Colborne, Biggs, etc.

When we these boards learn that a patient approach to players development is a good thing? I thought Kadri would have been the lesson.
Intelligent post, I hope you are right. I strongly believe Gardiner will be a top defender in the league for years to come.

Jake Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
BlueMapleDawg

He's playing tonight!!!

Old
04-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Interactif

At the draft I would ask Edmonton would they trade their 1st rd pick for Gardiner. If that picked say netted us Sean Monahan, I say thank you Tambellini we shake on this, and you can reunite Jake with Justin for years to come.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:49 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Let's hope Gardsy isn't playing beer league style hockey tonight. He needs to restore some faith in his defensive game or he's going to be spending a lot more time in the press box

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
He's playing tonight!!!
As I said...nothing to worry about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastedsabre
Henny from the Toronto hallway....

Quote:
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 4m

Jake gardiner is expected to slot back into the lineup tonite. Joe colborne is also expected to centre the 4th line. #tmltalk
Quote:
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets 17m

James reimer is leafs projected starter tonight. Optional skate for leafs in newark this morning. #tmltalk

04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
RhyZa

Great, shelter him if you have to but he has to play.

Hope he has a good one.

RhyZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Tinalera

Be interesting to see if Gardiner is told to focus more on the d side of things tonight, and not worry as much about making break out attempts, which is known that he CAN do.

Carlyle apparently put O'byrne with him in practice yesterday-wouldn't be surprised to see that combo

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
At the draft I would ask Edmonton would they trade their 1st rd pick for Gardiner. If that picked say netted us Sean Monahan, I say thank you Tambellini we shake on this, and you can reunite Jake with Justin for years to come.
Nope. Bad deal.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Edmonton is currently sitting in 9th in the West and 1 point out of a playoff spot. Oilers and Leafs may not pick too far apart, only 5 points difference at present.

However I'm sure Edmonton might be interested in reuniting Gardiner and Schultz if they could. Maybe Sam Gagner could be had.

04-06-2013, 10:13 AM
BlueMapleDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Edmonton is currently sitting in 9th in the West and 1 point out of a playoff spot. Oilers and Leafs may not pick too far apart, only 5 points difference at present.

However I'm sure Edmonton might be interested in reuniting Gardiner and Schultz if they could. Maybe Sam Gagner could be had.
Which is a shame because we could have sniped him outta Edmonton when his value was still low.

I laughed when they gave Hemsky that extension. I thought for sure it meant Gagner was on his way out (despite Hemsky being a winger).
It's an interesting trade though. I don't wanna give up on Gardiner, but Gagner would be that top line C we've been lacking.

Overall, I'd rather keep Gardiner and bank on Colborne being our go-to guy. It might sound silly but I've been high on him since we picked him up.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Nope. Bad deal.
Are you kidding me? Monahan is going to be a very good NHL hockey player, for a player that has 75 games in the NHL last season, under the mirage of the Ron and Gun system.?

Old
04-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

I expect Edmonton to fall back, but fair point, I know they are in a playoff race, and I do see them being interested in a player like Gardiner, Edmonton always played that freewheeling style that Jake would fit into.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:22 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

He belongs on a team like the Pens, except they already have Letang. But there are other teams with the same structure.

While I am dismayed in the sense that I have to accept Carlyle isn't going to make a run-and-gun team like Wilson had, I am consoled by the fact we're a playoff team again and I'd rather be successful than pretty.

Gardiner's greatest value to our organization would be as a trade asset.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I choose not to believe that he's not part of the long-term plan. Instead, I'll believe their trying to limit his 2nd contract, or something stupid like that.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMapleDawg View Post
Which is a shame because we could have sniped him outta Edmonton when his value was still low.

I laughed when they gave Hemsky that extension. I thought for sure it meant Gagner was on his way out (despite Hemsky being a winger).
It's an interesting trade though. I don't wanna give up on Gardiner, but Gagner would be that top line C we've been lacking.

Overall, I'd rather keep Gardiner and bank on Colborne being our go-to guy. It might sound silly but I've been high on him since we picked him up.
Kinda hard to explain that to Kadri no?

hockeygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:25 AM
darrylsittler27

Maybe Gagne can be had?

If all Nonnis wanted was Gagne,Gardiner would be an Oiler long ago! No one is saying to throw Gardiner away, simply that Gardiner and Carlyle may not see eye to eye.If Gardiner isn't going to get top 4 minutes and then Reilly steals his thunder....

Because he can play now,some team in the top 5 in the draft may call Nonnis.Would you be listening if say Barkov was available?

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:27 AM
William Nylander

I'd definitely trade Gardiner at the draft for Monahan, someone who's going to be better than even Couturier

Carlyle's system isn't the run and gun that Jake excelled in, IMO it's time to trade him while his value is still relatively high.

I see Finn as a similar player to Gardiner, except with better defense. And then there's Percy with his high hockey IQ.

I can really see our top 4 soon being

Rielly-Phaneuf
Finn- Percy

No room for Gardiner really. If we trade him for Mona, our top 6 centres will be set for the next decade

William Nylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:29 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I think people are jumping the gun a little bit. It really couldn't hurt to hold on to the kid and let him develop. As long as he's Maple Leafs property he'll be a valuable asset, be patient.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:35 AM
SteveV*

Wonder who comes out, are we going with 7 D tonight, because have to think new guy plays?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote