HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
03-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Now that Morgan Rielly was named the WHL Eastern Conference Defensman of the year does that mean he might be more respect from other fan bases or be called the next top Defensman not playing in the NHL. The reason I say that is all the hype Dougie Hamilton got from the Bruins fans last year after he was named the CHL Defensman of the year and the top prospect not playing in the NHL or does Rielly also need to win that award to get that same type of talk?
My friend, if you really care that much about respect from Hf boards, avoid being a leaf fan . No matter what Rielly does, he's either gonna be viewed as "not great" or "overrated" which is fine. Public opinion won't change the way he plays. So just be proud we got a stud dman who could end up being really special for us.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
My friend, if you really care that much about respect from Hf boards, avoid being a leaf fan . No matter what Rielly does, he's either gonna be viewed as "not great" or "overrated" which is fine. Public opinion won't change the way he plays. So just be proud we got a stud dman who could end up being really special for us.

Believe me I'm very happy the Leafs were able to draft him. I just have this feeling had any other team selected him he would be getting a lot more respect.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Sundinisagod
Sniper

Quote:
Believe me I'm very happy the Leafs were able to draft him. I just have this feeling had any other team selected him he would be getting a lot more respect.
To be fair, despite having missed nearly an entire season, Rielly is getting much more respect from other fan bases than Schenn and Kadri received. It's only the few usual haters who don't give Rielly his props, the majority aren't denying his obvious talent level.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Leafidelity
Its that new Toronto

vCash: 1775
Who cares. He'll get respect when he tears the NHL a new one. Kadri used to be the HF consensus bust.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:17 PM
johnnyutah

I find the way he skates really reminds me of matt duchene

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
DJB

vCash: 150
Quote:
The Leafs fan base kind of loses respect around here when you guys were talking about him being better then Karlsson....

I'm a huge fan of Reilly and I think he's going to be tremendous, but the > Karlsson stuff is sillyness.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Fearless Leaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
The Leafs fan base kind of loses respect around here when you guys were talking about him being better then Karlsson....

I'm a huge fan of Reilly and I think he's going to be tremendous, but the > Karlsson stuff is sillyness.
Lol, wat? That's some crazy talk. Who said he is > Karlsson, find me one poster who has claimed him better than Karlsson, and please don't even start with a troll poster or an unreasonable poster because I am pretty sure those guys aren't even true Leafs fans and are probably claiming those statements to either troll or make us look bad.

If Rielly becomes anything half as good as Karlsson, I'll be one happy Leafs fan. I am a huge Karlsoon fan( he is my top 5 player in the league) and also a Rielly fan but at this point in time, Rielly doesn't even deserve to be in the same breath as Karlsson.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

Who was saying he's gonna be better than Karlsson? one or two posters out of a thousand? He has number one potential but I don't think any reasonable poster would put him on Karlsson's level. That's just silly.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Who was saying he's gonna be better than Karlsson? one or two posters out of a thousand? He has number one potential but I don't think any reasonable poster would put him on Karlsson's level. That's just silly.
Might not even put future Karlsson at 2012 Karlsson's level... that was one epic season.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
DJB

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Lol, wat? That's some crazy talk. Who said he is > Karlsson, find me one poster who has claimed him better than Karlsson, and please don't even start with a troll poster or an unreasonable poster because I am pretty sure those guys aren't even true Leafs fans and are probably claiming those statements to either troll or make us look bad.

If Rielly becomes anything half as good as Karlsson, I'll be one happy Leafs fan. I am a huge Karlsoon fan( he is my top 5 player in the league) and also a Rielly fan but at this point in time, Rielly doesn't even deserve to be in the same breath as Karlsson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Well obviously you two are a little more sensible but check the threads back with the WJC. The Rielly hype train was in full effect and there was more then a handful of posters discussing Rielly > Karlsson.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Well obviously you two are a little more sensible but check the threads back with the WJC. The Rielly hype train was in full effect and there was more then a handful of posters discussing Rielly > Karlsson.
You're really reaching for an argument here.

NOBODY thinks Rielly will be better than Karlsson and you know this.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
How has he been in the AHL? Seems to gets a lot of shots.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
How has he been in the AHL? Seems to gets a lot of shots.
Skill is displayed, still adapting though IMO. He's definetly maturing and noticing points are alot harder to get in the pros, and that positing becomes alot more important. People who stat watch will be disappointed but he's been pretty decent, and you can tell theres much more to come. Kind of like watching Kadri on his first couple runs as a leaf

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Rhino Reilly
CoJo

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
I never read anyone say Rielly > Karlsson. Ever. If it was it was someone with around 10 posts who was specifically trolling.

I've seen people (including myself) who say he could be Karlsson-lite. Since he was drafted I though he would be the Leafs poor man version of Karlsson. He's gonna be a helluva player. I don't mind saying this as a Sens fan.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:18 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Might not even put future Karlsson at 2012 Karlsson's level... that was one epic season.
Agreed. Said it myself last year that I can't see him duplicating what he did. A PPG dman is amazing and outrageous at the same time. Best offensive season we've seen in a long time. Subban may come close to Karlssons numbers next year, will be fun to watch.
Quote:
And again, I'll ask how many posters out the thousands of Leafs fans here have made that comparison? Leafs fans are excited about his offensive potential, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a top 10 offensive dman in a few years.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Sundinisagod
Sniper

Quote:

If you're gonna make outlandish statements, the least you could do is a provide a link to back them up...the onus is on you to go back and find the quotes...until then, say goodbye to your credibility.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:57 AM
HavlatMach9

What's I've seen mostly is Leafs fans hoping Rielly becoming half as good as Karlsson.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
What's I've seen mostly is Leafs fans hoping Rielly becoming half as good as Karlsson.
And what I've seen is an unusual amount of Sens fans all over anything to do with Morgan Rielly.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:18 PM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:

whoa there nellie

that would've been someone from the mindless Duchy of LeafLand not Leafs Nation

LeafLand is to Leafs Nation what Brampton is to Toronto

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:22 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
And your point ? What team wouldn't..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Irish Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Schenn was the only player the Leafs "rushed" but even then Schenn was always going to be a defensive D. I don't think an extra year at Kelowna would have helped him with his skating or offensive skills.
Are you kidding me!? The Leafs don't rush prospects? They have ruined just about every prospect they have ever drafted going all the way back to the seventies. I have suffered through 30 years of bad hockey. Finally they are starting to do things the right way. I say give the kid all the time he needs.

Irish Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:35 PM
samyy

Quote:
If he became half as good as Karlsson that would be pretty amazing, hoping (obviously) that he can aim higher though :p

I don't think any sensible posters around here are trying to compare him to Karlsson, we know hes one of the best defenceman around the league.

samyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:51 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyy View Post
I don't think any sensible posters around here are trying to compare him to Karlsson
That's what I meant . I meant Leafs fans have normal expectations for Rielly. I came to this thread to get an update because of his nice AHL debut and he's an exciting dman.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Randomtask68

How is Reilly playing in the AHL right now? I thought you needed to play either 4 years of Junior or be 20 years old to play in the AHL?

Randomtask68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:13 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomtask68 View Post
How is Reilly playing in the AHL right now? I thought you needed to play either 4 years of Junior or be 20 years old to play in the AHL?
You can play if your CHL season is finished. Moosejaw didn't make the playoffs

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote