HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
Anyway, the way the season is going on, Gauthier will be out of reach for us.

So better have a hockey crush for Poirier!
With his drop in production the last couple months he may slide to our 1st and possibly even Calgary's 2nd.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Scenario question for anyone that cares to reply:

Habs pick #27

If Wennberg, Mantha, or Erne is still available at 20, do you trade (Mtl 1st + Mtl 2nd + 3rd) or (Mtl 1st + Nashville 2nd) to move up? Or are people more comfortable/interested in drafting those second rounders?
I would for sure.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:49 AM
niftymove

I dont know Wennberg well enough.

For Erne, I'd not move. For Mantha, I'd go for him sure.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:03 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Was wondering if I was the only one that was cheering last night when the Sharks scored late in the 3rd to go up 2-1 on the flames. Been keeping a close eye on the flames all year and I got to admit, I'm really excited about how well our additional 2nd rounder is doing this year. Just like the Habs season, it just keeps on winning! Hopefully with the remaining 12 games, the 2nd rounder doesn't show any signs of ware since the flames are 2-8 in their last 10, want to see them keep up the good work.

It's too bad that the avs are struggling so badly as well, would have been nice to see them pull it out against the wings but I got my doubts about them finishing above the flames. Hopefully the teams in front don't fall apart either but with a much better goalie tampa hopefully wins a few more then they lose while philly/Sabres seem to be doing better of late as well so we need them to keep up the good fight as hopefully they all pass Nashville and Dallas as well so our picks are even higher!

Old
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
EDSHabs

What' the though on Justin Bailey, seen two feed of is game and though he would be interresting with one of the 2nd. Now seen 2 mock draft with us taking him in the first?

Old
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Was wondering if I was the only one that was cheering last night when the Sharks scored late in the 3rd to go up 2-1 on the flames. Been keeping a close eye on the flames all year and I got to admit, I'm really excited about how well our additional 2nd rounder is doing this year. Just like the Habs season, it just keeps on winning! Hopefully with the remaining 12 games, the 2nd rounder doesn't show any signs of ware since the flames are 2-8 in their last 10, want to see them keep up the good work.

It's too bad that the avs are struggling so badly as well, would have been nice to see them pull it out against the wings but I got my doubts about them finishing above the flames. Hopefully the teams in front don't fall apart either but with a much better goalie tampa hopefully wins a few more then they lose while philly/Sabres seem to be doing better of late as well so we need them to keep up the good fight as hopefully they all pass Nashville and Dallas as well so our picks are even higher!
Don't worry Calgary will find a way to finish last...

Old
04-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandStroumph View Post
What' the though on Justin Bailey, seen two feed of is game and though he would be interresting with one of the 2nd. Now seen 2 mock draft with us taking him in the first?
The NHL.com mock is a joke, don't read anything into it. I would not take him with any of our first 3 picks. Maybe with our late 2nd. He's tools and upside more than an actual good player at this stage.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandStroumph View Post
From the numbers and what I heard he seems too high risk for a 1st rounder, maybe late 2nd/early 3rd type guy.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Et le But

I'd murder a small child (note: hypothetically) for Wennberg.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:01 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'd murder a small child (note: hypothetically) for Wennberg.
You're not alone.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd murder Wennberg Sr.'s child for Wennberg..

Old
04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Draft

So... trade up for Wennberg if it doesn't cost too much?

Currently, having only really kept track of Habs draft picks this year and only lately getting into this draft, for that first pick I'm feeling some love for:

Wennberg (Yeah, I can dream ), De La Rose, Poirier, Carrier, and Hagg

Old
04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
So... trade up for Wennberg if it doesn't cost too much?

Currently, having only really kept track of Habs draft picks this year and only lately getting into this draft, for that first pick I'm feeling some love for:

Wennberg (Yeah, I can dream ), De La Rose, Poirier, Carrier, and Hagg
I personally really love some character players of this year class.
Mostly : Lazar, Morrissey, Zykov(really underrated among my fellow hfboarders), Horvat

In the second round: McCoshen look like a stud(his scouting reports are very similar to Ryan McDonagh), Carrier seems to be sliding since his injury but he is a very very good prospect himself.

Then you have very underrated player like Yan-Pavel Laplante and Jérémy Grégoire.

I feel that if the right stars fall in place we could an amazing draft.

I like Wennberg too but I feel he will go near top 10 and he will certainly not get passed by Columbus.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:10 PM
That

I'm sold on Zach Nastasiuk now. He's been unreal in the playoffs so far. 3 goals and 5 assists in 6 games, including a shorthanded beauty. His biggest knocks were his average puck skills and skating, but now that the playoffs have come around, it's like he suddenly has great hands and his skating looks so much more effective.

His game is built for the playoffs. He's a heart and soul player who blocks shots, hits, and creates space for his teammates. He's going to be an NHLer in my opinion, I doubt he's going to be anything more than a third liner, but he will an instant fan favourite and one of the best, if not the best in his role.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'm sold on Zach Nastasiuk now. He's been unreal in the playoffs so far. 3 goals and 5 assists in 6 games, including a shorthanded beauty. His biggest knocks were his average puck skills and skating, but now that the playoffs have come around, it's like he suddenly has great hands and his skating looks so much more effective.

His game is built for the playoffs. He's a heart and soul player who blocks shots, hits, and creates space for his teammates. He's going to be an NHLer in my opinion, I doubt he's going to be anything more than a third liner, but he will an instant fan favourite and one of the best, if not the best in his role.
Definately, I rate him as a right handed version of our own prospect Brady Vail.

If we could snab him with our 3rd round pick from Dallas I would be ecstatic !

Old
04-06-2013, 02:39 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Mostly : Lazar, Morrissey, Zykov(really underrated among my fellow hfboarders), Horvat

In the second round: McCoshen look like a stud(his scouting reports are very similar to Ryan McDonagh), Carrier seems to be sliding since his injury but he is a very very good prospect himself.

Then you have very underrated player like Yan-Pavel Laplante and Jérémy Grégoire.

I like Wennberg too but I feel he will go near top 10 and he will certainly not get passed by Columbus.
Wouldn't pick Gregoire with any of our picks in the first three rounds. Fair game afterwards.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:41 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

What kind of player is McCarron? I know he's big, but does he hit? Does he have any skills? Does he fight ?

Where should he go in the draft?

Old
04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Skating can be improved moreso than learned. If you skate one way for 13-14 years you can't re-learn how to skate and go from a poor skater to a good one...however...over the course of 4-5 years you can go from poor to average, from terrible to bad or from good to great.

For Gauthier I just think all the tough minutes(PK plus facing top lines a lot) he played the 1st half plus the longer schedule(coming up from MAAA) caught up to him near February 1st...

Before Jan 23rd 41 GP 16-35-51
After Jan 23rd 27 GP 6-5-11(includes playoffs)

I see this a lot on here, as soon as somebody mentions "a good defensive player" the next post talks about 3rd line center. I think Gauthier has #2 center potential, he'll never be a big sniper but I think he can be a 20-40-60 NHL player who plays tough minutes as well as PP and PK.
Agreed on your Gauthier assessment. I think he can become a quality two-way second line center in the NHL. One thing to consider too is that the Lavoie addition bumped him from the first line (and thus from being Trainor's center). Perhaps his first half offensive stats were a tad inflated to begin with

Old
04-06-2013, 03:00 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Mantha looking bad there on the Blainville goal....Just had to be more assertive and take Clapperton. He was just beside him and let him take a shot....
Mantha was beyond brutal last night, didn't do anything with the puck and was a liability without it. and likely got a 1game suspension for removing his opponement helmet off in a useless fight at the end of the game (stupid rule btw).

Even in 10-1 loss, Vincent Dunn showed some good stuff as a potential nhl agitator. hitting and slashing armada players. Roy was great but not sold on nhl potential. 4th rounder to me.

Val d'Or as a whole was awful. My last 2 live viewing of them end with a combine scored of 18-2....WELP

Old
04-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHP View Post
Mantha was beyond brutal last night, didn't do anything with the puck and was a liability without it. and likely got a 1game suspension for removing his opponement helmet off in a useless fight at the end of the game (stupid rule btw).

Even in 10-1 loss, Vincent Dunn showed some good stuff as a potential nhl agitator. hitting and slashing armada players. Roy was great but not sold on nhl potential. 4th rounder to me.

Val d'Or as a whole was awful. My last 2 live viewing of them end with a combine scored of 18-2....WELP
Dunn has to be immensely considered. While Mantha goes in the draft day as the oldest player to be drafted, Dunn is going in as the youngest. I know....potential aren't the same and all, just saying that in a draft year, that's a huge gap. And means Dunn has a lot more time to develop.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:09 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Dunn has to be immensely considered. While Mantha goes in the draft day as the oldest player to be drafted, Dunn is going in as the youngest. I know....potential aren't the same and all, just saying that in a draft year, that's a huge gap. And means Dunn has a lot more time to develop.
heard from a nhl scout on Mantha, "is he going to be Eric Daze or Benoit Poulliot ? "

his bust potential is very high imo

Old
04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Skating can be improved moreso than learned. If you skate one way for 13-14 years you can't re-learn how to skate and go from a poor skater to a good one...however...over the course of 4-5 years you can go from poor to average, from terrible to bad or from good to great.

For Gauthier I just think all the tough minutes(PK plus facing top lines a lot) he played the 1st half plus the longer schedule(coming up from MAAA) caught up to him near February 1st...

Before Jan 23rd 41 GP 16-35-51
After Jan 23rd 27 GP 6-5-11(includes playoffs)

I see this a lot on here, as soon as somebody mentions "a good defensive player" the next post talks about 3rd line center. I think Gauthier has #2 center potential, he'll never be a big sniper but I think he can be a 20-40-60 NHL player who plays tough minutes as well as PP and PK.
No doubt the 2nd part of the season was rough for him. The fact that he can produce while shutting other team's top liners is pretty interesting.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post

Grégoire has been unreal in the playoffs. Here's another guy whose game is built for the playoffs. Tough guy to play against.

Laplante is my darkhorse pick for this year, sadly(not for him obviously) he got invited to the U-18 team, so scouts will get a better look at him

Edit: And as I write this, Grégoire scores once again.

Old
04-06-2013, 05:14 PM
LeHaboholique

24 Klimchuk, Morgan Left Wing Regina WHL
25 Hartman, Ryan Right Wing USA U-18 USHL
26 Lazar, Curtis Right Wing/Center Edmonton WHL
27 Sorensen, Nick Right Wing Quebec QMJHL
28 Lodge, Jimmy Center Saginaw OHL
29 Bjorkstrand, Oliver Left Wing Herning DENMARK
30 Zadorov, Nikita

Apparently these so far are Central scouting's 24 - 30. assuming that we end somewhere in that range an anyone tell me anything about these possible guys?

Old
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHaboholique View Post
24 Klimchuk, Morgan Left Wing Regina WHL
25 Hartman, Ryan Right Wing USA U-18 USHL
26 Lazar, Curtis Right Wing/Center Edmonton WHL
27 Sorensen, Nick Right Wing Quebec QMJHL
28 Lodge, Jimmy Center Saginaw OHL
29 Bjorkstrand, Oliver Left Wing Herning DENMARK
30 Zadorov, Nikita

Apparently these so far are Central scouting's 24 - 30. assuming that we end somewhere in that range an anyone tell me anything about these possible guys?
Klimchuk - Talented offensive player with average size.
Hartman - Callahan-type player who will become hated by the rivals of whoever drafts him.
Lazar - All-around center with excellent goal scoring ability.
Sorensen - Bit of a puzzling player. Has talent, but not really a true calling card offensively. Solid 2-way guy it seems.
Lodge - Big, talented...but seemingly soft.
Zadorov - Should go top 15. Big monster defenceman who is extremely physical. CSB is out to lunch ranking him this late.

Closed Thread