HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Bortuzzo Appreciation Thread (and Bort+Elmer pairing)

Old
04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Pancakes

vCash: 500
Despres has been horrendous the past month or so. I don't know if it's nerves because Bylsma benches him the moment he does something bad or what but Despres has had a rough time of it. It's sad too because he was awesome earlier in the season.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Despres has been horrendous the past month or so. I don't know if it's nerves because Bylsma benches him the moment he does something bad or what but Despres has had a rough time of it. It's sad too because he was awesome earlier in the season.
With Martin and Letang out, more responsibility falls on him. Its the same reason Niskanen has looked worse lately.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
With Martin and Letang out, more responsibility falls on him. Its the same reason Niskanen has looked worse lately.
That certainly could be part of it. I think being bounced in and out of the lineup has something to do with it as well.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
nTsplnk*

Pretty clear Orpik's ship has sailed. He isn't nearly the same player he was 2-3 years ago.

Bortuzzo will be more than enough to replace him

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
That certainly could be part of it. I think being bounced in and out of the lineup has something to do with it as well.
I'm sure that doesn't help. And changing partners all the time too. There is no way he is comfortable at all. I'm not trying to be too negative on him. He's a rookie and all of these things added together makes for a very rocky ride.

For Despres, I think its understandable if not expected.

For Niskanen, its a bit more disappointing.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:33 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Perhaps it's time to change your username?

In all seriousness, yes: Bortuzzo was the best of a BAD bunch last night, and he hasn't played an NHL game in over a month. You can tell he's the real-deal. Meanwhile, Orpik continues to be inconsistent, and sometimes downright bad. He's quickly becoming overrated, if he wasn't already. Don't get me wrong: I will be very happy to have Brooks for THIS playoff run, but I really want nothing to do with him after this season.

And I mean that in the most respectful way, because he's been a solid citizen for our team, but it's time to turn the page, and if we can get assets back for him, we owe it to our future to do that. When you look at the (enviable) depth of teams like Chicago, Anaheim and Minnesota amongst their forwards, it's because they've largely held on to, or even accumulated, draft picks and made good use of them. After going "all in" this year, we're going to have to do some re-tooling in the summer to not only get under the cap, but set our team up as well as possible moving forward with assets/young players that are inexpensive. I'm very happy to think of Bortuzzo of a big part of that plan on the back-end. Now, just a few more pieces up front, which I truly believe a trade of Brooks should bring.
Ha, well I'm just sticking with what I started with. I think my account was created around the same time Ziggy and Thibault were signed so what're ya gonna do.

Ya Orpik stinks right now and I'm actually worried about his play. He has looked completely shot at times. No way I'd go as far to say that Bortuzzo is the real deal. I'd like to know why you think that. He played well enough in a bottom pairing role in spot duty. Top 4 is a totally different story. To think he can slide in for Orpik is about as presumptuous as it gets IMO, but I know we love our youngsters here so I expect this kind of rhetoric to frustrate me ad infinitum.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Ha, well I'm just sticking with what I started with. I think my account was created around the same time Ziggy and Thibault were signed so what're ya gonna do.

Ya Orpik stinks right now and I'm actually worried about his play. He has looked completely shot at times. No way I'd go as far to say that Bortuzzo is the real deal. I'd like to know why you think that. He played well enough in a bottom pairing role in spot duty. Top 4 is a totally different story. To think he can slide in for Orpik is about as presumptuous as it gets IMO, but I know we love our youngsters here so I expect this kind of rhetoric to frustrate me ad infinitum.
I think Orpik is shot as a top 4 player. I am also nervous about any of our young guys taking the spot from him. Our defense will be interesting the next few years. Martin and Letang are both able to cover a lot of the holes in Orpik's, Niskanen's and Despres' games.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:04 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I personally think Bortuzzo can evolve to handle Orpik's responsibilities. I just don't know if Bylsma's system is beneficial to that. If Bortuzzo played a physical defense first game he'd be ideal but Bylsma will force him to make dumb stretch passes instead of the simple play.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques G View Post
Why do people call him Elmer?
vv This face says it better than I can.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 11-22-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:19 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
I personally think Bortuzzo can evolve to handle Orpik's responsibilities. I just don't know if Bylsma's system is beneficial to that. If Bortuzzo played a physical defense first game he'd be ideal but Bylsma will force him to make dumb stretch passes instead of the simple play.
I don't think it matters whether Borts can replace Orpik. The ship having sailed on Orpik is an unrelated matter. Orpik should go, not because Borts should replace him, but just because he should go.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
nTsplnk*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I don't think it matters whether Borts can replace Orpik. The ship having sailed on Orpik is an unrelated matter. Orpik should go, not because Borts should replace him, but just because he should go.
Definitely. I loved Orpik but it's just time to move on.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:35 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherDigest View Post
Definitely. I loved Orpik but it's just time to move on.
It was two years ago. Could've gotten one heck of a return for him then. Probably still can get a decent return.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:50 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Correct. Bortuzzo is not a replacement for Orpik, and I didn't mean to suggest he was. Why? Because Orpik is/has been a staple as a to-4 LEFT-side Dman. Bortuzzo has, IMO, the ability to be a top-4 RIGHT-handed Dman for us going forward. The ways in which they are similar is only in terms of being able to clear the front of the net on the PK and match up against larger forwards in general.

Orpik is a faster & smoother skater, but Bortuzzo makes up for less smoother stride and less quickness by having a longer stride and covering more ground. He's also a heads-up player and makes quick and very good passes up the ice, so the net effect is almost the same in terms of their "quickness". Bortuzzo is/can be probably a better pure positional defender in the defensive zone and has more reach. I think as Bort matures and becomes more comfortable, you'll see him become even more of a physical player. Like Brooks, he's not a fighter, but he can still be tough to play against, be physical and cause some damage just because of his size. I'm very high on this player.

Line-Up for next season:

Niskanen/Dumoulin-Letang
Domoulin/Niskanen-Martin
Despres-Bortuzzo
Engelland

I'd be very comfortable with that line-up if we cannot re-sign Murray for reasonable $$, in which case he could play somewhere in the top-6 and maybe Dumo gets one more year. If we cannot re-sign Murray, then I think Dumoulin, or perhaps Harrington, will take the left-side spot vacated by a Brooks trade.

Quote:
It was two years ago. Could've gotten one heck of a return for him then. Probably still can get a decent return.
Yes, I believe we can. I think we could get a 2nd + a prospect or lower pick (4th/5th this year, or 3rd/4th next year) for Brooks. I would be thrilled with a trade like that because we wouldn't be getting any salary back, and we would be replenishing some of the picks we traded away. I would also be willing to do an Orpik+something (Kennedy, etc) to get Setoguchi or something, if we fail to re-sign Iggy, but I think we will get Iggy signed.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:26 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE
Don't drive hungry!

Where are you Robort?

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 10:32 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Correct. Bortuzzo is not a replacement for Orpik, and I didn't mean to suggest he was. Why? Because Orpik is/has been a staple as a to-4 LEFT-side Dman. Bortuzzo has, IMO, the ability to be a top-4 RIGHT-handed Dman for us going forward. The ways in which they are similar is only in terms of being able to clear the front of the net on the PK and match up against larger forwards in general.

Orpik is a faster & smoother skater, but Bortuzzo makes up for less smoother stride and less quickness by having a longer stride and covering more ground. He's also a heads-up player and makes quick and very good passes up the ice, so the net effect is almost the same in terms of their "quickness". Bortuzzo is/can be probably a better pure positional defender in the defensive zone and has more reach. I think as Bort matures and becomes more comfortable, you'll see him become even more of a physical player. Like Brooks, he's not a fighter, but he can still be tough to play against, be physical and cause some damage just because of his size. I'm very high on this player.

Line-Up for next season:

Niskanen/Dumoulin-Letang
Domoulin/Niskanen-Martin
Despres-Bortuzzo
Engelland

I'd be very comfortable with that line-up if we cannot re-sign Murray for reasonable $$, in which case he could play somewhere in the top-6 and maybe Dumo gets one more year. If we cannot re-sign Murray, then I think Dumoulin, or perhaps Harrington, will take the left-side spot vacated by a Brooks trade.

Yes, I believe we can. I think we could get a 2nd + a prospect or lower pick (4th/5th this year, or 3rd/4th next year) for Brooks. I would be thrilled with a trade like that because we wouldn't be getting any salary back, and we would be replenishing some of the picks we traded away. I would also be willing to do an Orpik+something (Kennedy, etc) to get Setoguchi or something, if we fail to re-sign Iggy, but I think we will get Iggy signed.
Bortuzzio is more consistent defensively than Orpeck IMO. I also think he is better with his stick and tying guys up in front of the net.

Orpeck is a better hitter and better at taking himself out of the play trying to make those hits.

Overall, Bortz is very cheap and effective. Like a bottle of bleach at removing that frat house stench.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
Where are you Robort?

HERE I AM, guysh! Don't leave with out me!!!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2013, 11:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
At this point, I don't want to see Orpik & Engelland back next season. Orpik's been regressing since last season and Engelland has been Lovejoy bad.
How shortsighted you have been proven to be.

Old
11-24-2013, 02:09 AM
SHOOTANDSCORE
Don't drive hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post

HERE I AM, guysh! Don't leave with out me!!!

That is disturbing.

Sorry Robort, we lost so see you in 5 games.

SHOOTANDSCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 02:31 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTANDSCORE View Post
Sorry Robort, we lost so see you in 5 games.
It is a shame, because sadly, you're probably right. Bort made a few relatively simple mistakes tonight that I just KNOW he would not make if he were in the line-up every night, and yet it may cost him a spot in the line-up for the next game or three.

I do give kudos to Engo for being better than he was last year, and I give even more props to the coaching staff for leaving Maatta in the line-up and not d*cking him around. But why then are they not doing the same thing with Bortuzzo? What has he done, if you give him a string of games when he gets to play in each one, to not deserve being in the line-up?

And on that latter somewhat related note: what the heck was Beau Bennett doing not dressed for tonight's game? Please tell me it's just the flu or some minor issue, and not an idiotic coaching move of thinking we should dress D'Agostini (a signing I thought was great for the price, btw) in lieu of a guy who actually has elite talent and a future here, yet only just got back to playing again after being on the shelf with injury. Please tell me there's some explanation that makes sense. (I'm a little out of the scene since being in transit the last 4 days)

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
It is a shame, because sadly, you're probably right. Bort made a few relatively simple mistakes tonight that I just KNOW he would not make if he were in the line-up every night, and yet it may cost him a spot in the line-up for the next game or three.

I do give kudos to Engo for being better than he was last year, and I give even more props to the coaching staff for leaving Maatta in the line-up and not d*cking him around. But why then are they not doing the same thing with Bortuzzo? What has he done, if you give him a string of games when he gets to play in each one, to not deserve being in the line-up?

And on that latter somewhat related note: what the heck was Beau Bennett doing not dressed for tonight's game? Please tell me it's just the flu or some minor issue, and not an idiotic coaching move of thinking we should dress D'Agostini (a signing I thought was great for the price, btw) in lieu of a guy who actually has elite talent and a future here, yet only just got back to playing again after being on the shelf with injury. Please tell me there's some explanation that makes sense. (I'm a little out of the scene since being in transit the last 4 days)
Bennett is hurt. Stayed in Pittsburgh for further evaluation.