HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Finland Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 10:58 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesko View Post
It would be a shame, since there isn't really anyone to replace him on the national team.
Actually, there are plenty of DD types playing in Europe we can utilize in the bottom pairing and PK roles should it come to that. The thing is that none of them are currently holding the same merit as Lydman does, which is why he's the #1 option for said role in the current projection.

And I can't emphasize enough that it's simply according to what we know right now. If someone like Melart or his ilk break into the WHC squad this spring and end up doing well, it's going to be whole another deal. And I'd have nothing against it.

I bet if somebody had shown up here around Christmas a year ago and told us that Joonas Järvinen is a Sochi candidate, we would have considered him or her a completely mental gypsy soothsayer.

Regardless of what I said, I do still consider it a bad practice when someone's being entered into the predicted lineup based on a step they might or might not take in the future - save for a case when there truly are no safer options available. A good example is thinking that someone like Salminen, Armia or Pulkkinen might make it if Selänne has truly retired this time.

For the same reason I've constantly been showing qualm towards those who've been entering Barkov into their lineups. The kid holding tons of promise simply isn't enough, especially since we aren't that strung out in centre.

Last edited by FiLe: 04-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old
04-06-2013, 08:33 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Sure-fire Olympians:

Rinne

Timonen
Salo
Pitkanen
Vatanen

M. Koivu
Korpikoski
Komarov
Filppula
Granlund
J. Jokinen
Petrell

Unknowns:

Selanne (retiring?)
S. Koivu (UFA 2013)
Lydman (UFA 2013)
Leino (if rebounds)
Miettinen (if rebounds)
T. Ruutu (condition/physique?)

Rest are anyone's guess.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:25 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Sure-fire Olympians:

Rinne

Timonen
Salo
Pitkanen
Vatanen

M. Koivu
Korpikoski
Komarov
Filppula
Granlund
J. Jokinen
Petrell

Unknowns:

Selanne (retiring?)
S. Koivu (UFA 2013)
Lydman (UFA 2013)
Leino (if rebounds)
Miettinen (if rebounds)
T. Ruutu (condition/physique?)

Rest are anyone's guess.
Of the unknowns:
Selänne - propably retired
S Koivu doesn't care about contracts. He is the capten of Lions.
Lydman - Hopefully retires. His play has been bad two seasons in a row.
Leino - I'm counting on him. Hopefully he shakes off the losing philosophy of Buffalo
Miettinen - No ****ing way this bum makes the Olympic team.
Ruutu could be a massive asset, if he is healthy and on his game.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

I think Ruutu can safely be added among the locks. Only thing that bars his participation is an injury, and same can be said of the other locks on the list.

Petrell isn't a lock though. He's a possible, running the same gauntlet as Hartikainen, Bergenheim and Joensuu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry Curry View Post
S Koivu doesn't care about contracts. He is the capten of Lions.
Not anymore.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I think Ruutu can safely be added among the locks. Only thing that bars his participation is an injury, and same can be said of the other locks on the list.

Petrell isn't a lock though. He's a possible, running the same gauntlet as Hartikainen, Bergenheim and Joensuu.

Not anymore.
I agree with all of this. So far Petrell hasn't shown anything that couldn't be replaced by one of those players and I'd even say that Bergenheim's more of a lock than him at this point. I fully expect Ruutu to take his regular spot in the lineup as long as he's healthy.

Speaking about injuries, they could cause a big mess overall, especially if they fall on the D or M. Koivu. Not much depth in the defense or the capable 1st line center department. As Pitkänen, Salo and Vatanen are all rather prone to injuries, this is not just a small concern. Most other holes in offense can be at least somewhat patched up in a satisfactory way and the goalie depth is of course great. I know there isn't much sense in speculating about things that haven't happened yet, but like I said, the defense is full of men made out of glass and an injury or two wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:55 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Speaking about injuries, they could cause a big mess overall, especially if they fall on the D or M. Koivu. Not much depth in the defense or the capable 1st line center department. As Pitkänen, Salo and Vatanen are all rather prone to injuries, this is not just a small concern. Most other holes in offense can be at least somewhat patched up in a satisfactory way and the goalie depth is of course great. I know there isn't much sense in speculating about things that haven't happened yet, but like I said, the defense is full of men made out of glass and an injury or two wouldn't be much of a surprise.
This is why it would actually be advantageous if we couldn't get too many surefire NHLers for this year's WHC. Any Euro skater who pulls his weight here is going to be in a crucial role when charting the depth for the Sochi squad. And more of them we have on display come next month, the better.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:41 PM
tikkanen5rings*

Quote:
Not anymore.
Que?
Mikko brought the boy home but in my mind(and the majority) Saku is still the Captain.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Que?
Mikko brought the boy home but in my mind(and the majority) Saku is still the Captain.
It is generally a bad practice to project your own mind onto the majority. Statements like this usually require proof. I doubt you have any.

Incidentally, I also doubt the team management cares about your opinion (or the majority's). The changing of the guard has happened and the younger Koivu will very likely be the one carrying the letter in Sochi, whether his brother is in the team or not.

In my mind Jutila is still the Captain.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Que?
What you think doesn't matter, only actual proof does and you have none. We've moved forward. Even Kale said so last November. Saku is no longer captain. End of story. If you want to hold on to the past, be my guest, but things have changed whether you like it or not. It's not about who brought the boy home, Mikko would've become captain even without it. The writing's been on the wall for years.

Quote:
This is why it would actually be advantageous if we couldn't get too many surefire NHLers for this year's WHC. Any Euro skater who pulls his weight here is going to be in a crucial role when charting the depth for the Sochi squad. And more of them we have on display come next month, the better.
I doubt we'll get much (if any) help from NA to defense this year, so they should be able to pick the fore-runners easily. As for offense, I think we'll have to take one KHL center to Sochi (to center the 3rd/2B line) unless Olli Jokinen wants to be on Team Erkka after all. Right now I think it should be Kontiola, but we'll see. A good performance in this year's WHC would help his case.

Last edited by Gaps: 04-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old
04-07-2013, 01:24 PM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Quote:
I agree with all of this. So far Petrell hasn't shown anything that couldn't be replaced by one of those players and I'd even say that Bergenheim's more of a lock than him at this point.
Completely forgot about injured Bergenheim. If after recovery he can get back to his 17-goal form you just can't afford leave him out.

Guys like Joensuu and Petrell are just bodies for the checking line when it comes to the International level.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Completely forgot about injured Bergenheim. If after recovery he can get back to his 17-goal form you just can't afford leave him out.

Guys like Joensuu and Petrell are just bodies for the checking line when it comes to the International level.
Joensuu had shown something on the score sheet as well.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:19 PM
WhiteMandingo
The Epilogue

Korpikoski - Koivu - Filpula
Leino - Granlund - Ruutu
J. Jokinen - O. Jokinen - Bergenheim
Petrell - Koivu - Barkov
Komorov possibly Selanne?

Timonen - Vatanen
Pitkanen - Salo
Järvinen - Melart (No idea who these 2 are but I've seen them mentioned

Rinne
Rask
Backstrom

Old
04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
Korpikoski - Koivu - Filpula
Leino - Granlund - Ruutu
J. Jokinen - O. Jokinen - Bergenheim
Petrell - Koivu - Barkov
Komorov possibly Selanne?

Timonen - Vatanen
Pitkanen - Salo
Järvinen - Melart (No idea who these 2 are but I've seen them mentioned

Rinne
Rask
Backstrom
With current knowledge, O.J isn't available. That can still change, but as of right now he is not at our disposal. Granlund can't play center on this level and Komarov will not be the 13th forward. I don't see Selänne on the team at all (retired) and Barkov cannot play wing, he's a pure center like M. Koivu.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
With current knowledge, O.J isn't available. That can still change, but as of right now he is not at our disposal. Granlund can't play center on this level and Komarov will not be the 13th forward. I don't see Selänne on the team at all (retired) and Barkov cannot play wing, he's a pure center like M. Koivu.
Either way you gonna need your Sisu level to be at an all-time high if this is gonna go.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Either way you gonna need your Sisu level to be at an all-time high if this is gonna go.
I believe we're all aware of that. Frankly, I'd prefer to leave out as many veterans as possible even if it makes the team a little weaker (I know it's not going to happen, but you can always dream).

It's not like we have any chance in hell of winning in 2014, but 2018 should be a better year and I'd like more kids than just Granlund and Vatanen to get the experience in Sochi. The team's going to go through huge changes between Sochi and 2018 and I think it would benefit the team if the ones who are supposed to fill big roles in 2018 could be on this team in smaller roles.

Old
04-25-2013, 09:57 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Finland will NOT be a full NHL squad. There are bound to be a handful of guys from European leagues, mainly KHL, who will make it in.

Basically a Team Finland can be built using the following formula...

Goalies: Any NHL ones. Rinne appears to be the frontrunner, and Rask the favorite for backup, but any active next year might be there. Well, save for Kipper in case he doesn't retire.

Locks: Your guess.

Defense: All current NHL regulars, even the age-old ones + Sami Vatanen.

European side, one guy bound to make it is the former NHLer Ossi Väänänen. Is a reliable DD type and still a NT staple. The rest of the DD types are anybody's guess at the moment.

Locks (if healthy) : Pitkänen, Vatanen, Salo, Timonen, Lydman, Väänänen

Forwards: This is where it gets hairy. Basically, only couple of things stand. M.Koivu is the first line C, and T.Ruutu will play at his wing. Those two are the similar NT staple duo as Saku and Teemu earlier.

We have some centre/winger types who could be either in this squad. Namely, Filppula, Granlund and J.Jokinen. Some of them could be centres, but all could as well be wingers. If the latter scenario comes true, some of our KHL top guys, namely Kontiola, Immonen and Lehterä will make it in as C.

Don't bother inserting: Selänne, O.Jokinen. Need to know first what the former intends to do, the latter has publicly stated that his NT days are over (though some are hoping he might overturn his decision).

Locks: M.Koivu, T.Ruutu, Filppula, Granlund, Korpikoski, J.Jokinen, Komarov.

Now, if you wish to build a Team Finland that won't be laughed out of this thread...

XXX (XXX)

Timonen - Salo
Pitkänen - Vatanen
Väänänen - XXX
XXX

XXX - M.Koivu - T.Ruutu
XXX - XXX - XXX
XXX - XXX - XXX
Komarov - XXX - XXX
XXX

Use this template. Don't attempt to move the written-in players. Fill in the X spots as you desire. Remember to use all the locks described in this post, though.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Hzzz

Filppula-M.Koivu-T.Ruutu
Leino-J.Jokinen-Granlund
Korpikoski-S.Koivu-Bergenheim
Joensuu-Kontiola-Komarov

Timonen-Salo
Pitkänen-Vatanen
Väänänen-Niskala

Rask
Rinne
Rämö

Last edited by Hzzz: 04-26-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Zamuz

Filppula - M.Koivu - T.Ruutu
Granlund - Immonen - J.Jokinen
Leino - Lehterä - Korpikoski
Komarov - Kontiola - Hartikainen
13. Barkov

Timonen - Pitkänen
Vatanen - Niskala
Salo - Väänänen (Hopefully Määttä if he develops enough)

Lehtonen
Rask
Rinne

Old
05-01-2013, 04:21 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
Filppula - M.Koivu - T.Ruutu
Granlund - Immonen - J.Jokinen
Leino - Lehterä - Korpikoski
Komarov - Kontiola - Hartikainen
13. Barkov

Timonen - Pitkänen
Vatanen - Niskala
Salo - Väänänen (Hopefully Määttä if he develops enough)

Lehtonen
Rask
Rinne
If Salo and Timonen are both there it would be odd not to put them together considering that they are as smooth a defensepair as there can be. Both capable two-way defensemen with huge hockey brains.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:28 PM
smi

Filppula-Koivu-Ruutu
Jokinen-Immonen-Granlund
Kontiola-Lehterä-Korpikoski
Komarov-X-Bergenheim

Timonen-Salo
Pitkänen-X
Väänänen-Vatanen

Rinne, Lehtonen, Rask

That's what I'm thinking. Barkov, perhaps, could center the 4th line, depending on his development. If Barkov isn't ready, I would move Bergenheim up to the 2nd line, drop Jokinen to the 3rd making Kontiola the 4th center.

I don't know how Lydman's playing nowadays, but he could possibly fill the spot next to Pitkänen.

Last edited by smi: 05-01-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 04:39 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jokista View Post
I don't know how Lydman's playing nowadays, but he could possibly fill the spot next to Pitkänen.
Let's put it like this: If no one else is going to rise to the occasion, it's him who gets the remaining slot.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Do you think Hakanpaa has any type of a chance?

Old
05-01-2013, 10:31 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Do you think Hakanpaa has any type of a chance?
In the chance he makes the Blues roster from the camp and stays up, he becomes more than probable.

Since we can't really afford to overlook any prospective D-man, going down to the Wolves won't completely wreck his hopes either. But becoming one of the top D-men of the league is required in that scenario, and some injuries likely as well.

His club team coach from this and number of years before is actually a member of Team Finland's olympic coaching staff, so he should have better-than-average odds of at least staying on the radar.

Old
05-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Gaps

Quote:
In the chance he makes the Blues roster from the camp and stays up, he becomes more than probable.

Since we can't really afford to overlook any prospective D-man, going down to the Wolves won't completely wreck his hopes either. But becoming one of the top D-men of the league is required in that scenario, and some injuries likely as well.

His club team coach from this and number of years before is actually a member of Team Finland's olympic coaching staff, so he should have better-than-average odds of at least staying on the radar.
Also, I don't see Erkka directly disregarding any player who's playing in NA even if they're not an NHL regular yet. It's doubtful Jalonen would even consider Hakanpää if he doesn't make the Blues roster straight away, he'd just take someone from Europe in case of an injury to one of the veteran NHL dmen.

If there are injuries, especially to a guy like Lydman, someone like Hakanpää or even Määttä could be a viable choice, depending on their development of course. I truly hope Erkka will keep an eye on the younger dmen in North America just in case they're needed. The PMDs would probably have to be replaced with older KHL players like Hietanen or Niskala, though.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Gaps

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakiek...medium=twitter

Erkka says everyone who's playing in NA next season is motivated to go to Sochi. Not much of a surprise, but does this mean OJ's in the mix as well?

However, the most surprising part of this article is him saying there are 7 or 8 players on this WC team seriously vying for Sochi spots. There's NO WAY I'd even consider 8 players of this team for Sochi unless there are several injuries to every spot.

The ones who I could see (for real) are Korpikoski, Väänänen, Hietanen and Kontiola. I certainly hope I don't have to watch Lasse Kukkonen in Sochi. Who are the others (assuming Korpikoski, Väänänen, Hietanen, Kontiola and Kukkonen are five of the candidates)? Kontiola had better be the only center getting any consideration. I wouldn't consider someone like Aaltonen or Pesonen because we have better wingers in the NHL. There would have to be a boatload of winger injuries to get me to take them along.

Closed Thread