HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Running the goalie

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-19-2006, 04:48 AM
  #26
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
I dont think most people realize the kind of danger they put a goalie in when they charge him. The backplate isn't made to make contact with a post or the ice and can easily give a concussion not to mention the damage on the knees if you rush him while he's in the butterfly.

And if you have an issue with a player go after that player... not his goalie. Think about it, if I have a problem with you do you want me taking it up with your brother/father/mother/sister? No, because it's not their fault, they probably don't even know what's going on.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:24 AM
  #27
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Boy, I hope you play in one of the Denver area leagues.

Unfortunately I play in the Winnipeg area leagues.


Sorry.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:25 AM
  #28
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,234
vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
I dont think most people realize the kind of danger they put a goalie in when they charge him. The backplate isn't made to make contact with a post or the ice and can easily give a concussion not to mention the damage on the knees if you rush him while he's in the butterfly.

And if you have an issue with a player go after that player... not his goalie. Think about it, if I have a problem with you do you want me taking it up with your brother/father/mother/sister? No, because it's not their fault, they probably don't even know what's going on.
Greatly said. I am very fortunate to be very, VERY flexible, because my career would have ended last year with a back and knee injury and I'm far away from playing in an elite league. Sometime players tend to take it to seriously in a bad way.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 03:50 PM
  #29
Goalie_Gal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
I'm finding this thread very interesting because I'm just starting out- I started in the spring and have been playing pickup about 3 times a week all summer. They all keep telling me to be a little more aggressive in the crease but this isn't even a league, it's just a bunch of guys (and me) getting together to play whenever we can. So I'm not sure how far I can push it, I don't want to cross the line of the (usually) friendly play we have. Interestingly enough, last night I had the puck completely under my leg pad and some *** started jabbing away at my leg, trying to get under it. This is the same guy that stands practically on top of me lately. I've started giving him a few elbows and whacks with the stick but considering he's got probably 100lbs on me, I doubt he even felt it.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 09:46 PM
  #30
MikeD
Registered User
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
A crack to the inside of the skate boot about where the ankle bone is IS felt very much....so is a palm or blocker edge between the shoulder blades.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 10:31 PM
  #31
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,133
vCash: 500
If someone runs my goalie they can expect a crosscheck and a punch at the very least. They always punch back and the penalties even out either way.

Verbal Kint* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 10:43 PM
  #32
Cappy76
Registered User
 
Cappy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
The way I play depends on the goalie if I know that by going in hard right after he made the save and its obvious that hes not going to drop the puck will knock him off his game a lil ill do it all night! I go 100% till the wistle is blown if the goalie catches the puck and just has his hand out there ill smack at it, whistle hasnt blown why stop playing? I got an assist like that last game goalie coverd it ref didnt blow the whistle I smacked at his glove puck came loose right to my teammate. But I also know that by me doing this I run the risk of getting laid out its hockey it happens and when players come in on my goalie I rough them up a lil. Its part of the game

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 10:52 PM
  #33
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal View Post
I'm finding this thread very interesting because I'm just starting out- I started in the spring and have been playing pickup about 3 times a week all summer. They all keep telling me to be a little more aggressive in the crease but this isn't even a league, it's just a bunch of guys (and me) getting together to play whenever we can. So I'm not sure how far I can push it, I don't want to cross the line of the (usually) friendly play we have. Interestingly enough, last night I had the puck completely under my leg pad and some *** started jabbing away at my leg, trying to get under it. This is the same guy that stands practically on top of me lately. I've started giving him a few elbows and whacks with the stick but considering he's got probably 100lbs on me, I doubt he even felt it.
ever heard of "checking the oil?"

Warn him that it's pissing you off. If he still does it, bend your knee put the shaft over your knee as a lever, then place the blade of your stick between his legs and press down really hard. He'll get the point.

You can also put your stick on the back of his skates and then hit your paddle with your knee and he'll go down... and fast. Either one of these should make your point clear that you're not going to take his crap.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 08:44 AM
  #34
MikeD
Registered User
 
MikeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
The way I play depends on the goalie if I know that by going in hard right after he made the save and its obvious that hes not going to drop the puck will knock him off his game a lil ill do it all night! I go 100% till the wistle is blown if the goalie catches the puck and just has his hand out there ill smack at it, whistle hasnt blown why stop playing? I got an assist like that last game goalie coverd it ref didnt blow the whistle I smacked at his glove puck came loose right to my teammate. But I also know that by me doing this I run the risk of getting laid out its hockey it happens and when players come in on my goalie I rough them up a lil. Its part of the game
Most goalies will respond to that with even better play. By angering a goalie you stand a much larger chance of putting him into the zone rather than take them off thier game. For the most part players are wasting their energy and providing me with the snow to sweep out of my crease, which is very soothing. This again helps in being at the top of my game focused and ready to wall them again. I love the players who snow me, also. Its quite refreshing plus it puts them in the box for unsportmanlike. As for contact such as described, your going to find the calls from the refs going against this more often with the larger emphasis on protecting the goalie in this and coming seasons. Whistles will be faster on covered pucks since the rule now says "out of sight". The game is changing back to the old ways due to the "new" NHL and its enforcement of existing rules.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
  #35
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,103
vCash: 500
If the situation didnt allow me to take a penalty I'd rough it up a bit and told him in a calm and collected way. "Keep your head up". Took his number and waited for the opportunity to nail him the proper way. Some times it never happend durring the game....but I still had his number for subsequent games.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 11:26 AM
  #36
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,688
vCash: 500
if you run your opponents goalie during a game, you can just about guaruntee that your teams goalie will at least get bumped a few times in return. Being a goalie as well, when I get hit, it gets me even more into the game. With my team, the player that hit into me, got their *** beat most of the time pretty badly. This was in college hockey though...

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2006, 02:41 PM
  #37
Cappy76
Registered User
 
Cappy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: London, Kentucky
Country: United States
Posts: 1,911
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Most goalies will respond to that with even better play. By angering a goalie you stand a much larger chance of putting him into the zone rather than take them off thier game. For the most part players are wasting their energy and providing me with the snow to sweep out of my crease, which is very soothing. This again helps in being at the top of my game focused and ready to wall them again. I love the players who snow me, also. Its quite refreshing plus it puts them in the box for unsportmanlike. As for contact such as described, your going to find the calls from the refs going against this more often with the larger emphasis on protecting the goalie in this and coming seasons. Whistles will be faster on covered pucks since the rule now says "out of sight". The game is changing back to the old ways due to the "new" NHL and its enforcement of existing rules.
May be true with you but with all the goalies in my league if I come at them late they are off....more than a few times this season the faceoff that occur'd right after the incident we scored off of. Your a better goalie then the ones in my leauge I run at them and they flip out theres nothing calm and cool about it haha

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2006, 11:50 AM
  #38
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
The other way to cool this out is to take it to the zebras. Not after it's happened, the refs will feel your over-emotional about it and dismiss it. And yelling doesn't help.

In our league we play every team at least 3 times. If I get smacked or run in the first game I'll defend myself and make zero apologies for doing so. When they come up on the schedule again I'll make it a point during the warm-up to point out to the ref that I got run and slashed by these guys last time and just keep an eye out for it. Sometimes the game is clean I don't have any problems; othertimes it starts all over again and I find I'll get some slashing calls or a goalie interference call or even a goal called back. Hell sometimes our guys will get called for it too. And I don't care, if they did it they deserve the penalty.

Most guys can take a slash or two or a punch, but hurt them on the scoreboard and it stops pretty quick. The slashes and pokes and bumps aren't personal, they only do it to get an adavatage on the scoreboard, if you can retaliate on the scoreboard... that they will feel, even more than a blocker to the kidneys.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
  #39
Mackee
Registered User
 
Mackee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
It's all about the lateral push/pad trip.

Get him with that a few plays after the fact and he'll usually get it. I'm one of those goalies that plays better after getting run.

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
  #40
mr gib
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBlancRouge View Post
It's all about the lateral push/pad trip.

Get him with that a few plays after the fact and he'll usually get it. I'm one of those goalies that plays better after getting run.
brings the emotion up doesn't it -

i love running the goalie

once i scored picked up the puck and pushed it in his face - awesome -

didn't do it again tho

mr gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 12:42 AM
  #41
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,473
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
As a player, I loved to whack the goalie and try and dislodge the puck after it was covered. I took a TON of punishment.

Same with crashing into them. I've been punched by goalies, kicked, slashed, etc. You just take it and then cream them if you want to get back at them in a physical way or roof it on them in a scoring way.

Or a mix of both

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 02:52 PM
  #42
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
ever heard of "checking the oil?"

Warn him that it's pissing you off. If he still does it, bend your knee put the shaft over your knee as a lever, then place the blade of your stick between his legs and press down really hard. He'll get the point.

You can also put your stick on the back of his skates and then hit your paddle with your knee and he'll go down... and fast. Either one of these should make your point clear that you're not going to take his crap.

Wow, checking the oil.

That is officially the biggest ***** move I have ever heard of during a hockey game.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:17 PM
  #43
Malefic74
Registered User
 
Malefic74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halfway between Nothing and Not Much Else
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
As a player, I loved to whack the goalie and try and dislodge the puck after it was covered. I took a TON of punishment.

Same with crashing into them. I've been punched by goalies, kicked, slashed, etc. You just take it and then cream them if you want to get back at them in a physical way or roof it on them in a scoring way.

Or a mix of both
That's all well and good unless you're on the receiving end and can't work for an extended period of time because some loser thinks it's fun to break your fingers after you cover up the puck. Then it sucks just a little bit.

Guy did that to me a couple of years ago missed a week and half of work (unpaid). Next time we played I stomped on and broke not 1, but 2 of his composite sticks. I figured about $300-$400 was about even.

Malefic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
  #44
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod View Post
Wow, checking the oil.

That is officially the biggest ***** move I have ever heard of during a hockey game.
it's what you do when someone is doing **** like running into you and almost blowing out your knee and ending your playing days.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 05:55 AM
  #45
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Anybody that plays in a men's no-check league that finds it great fun to run a goalie is a moron. If you're such a tough guy, what are you doing in a no-check league. Go play with the big boys and see what happens when the other side can really fight back. I play D, but a couple years ago I strated playing goalie as a fill in for our team and play drop-in, where goalies are at a premium. Those guys smart enough to realize that we all have to go to a real job the next day. So, all you tough guys out there, step up and go play with the big boys and then come back and let us know how much fun it really is to get your cheap thrills.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 08:43 AM
  #46
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod View Post
Wow, checking the oil.

That is officially the biggest ***** move I have ever heard of during a hockey game.
You're already of the opinion that goalies should "let the players handle it".

I would never do the move in question, because I prefer a more direct approach.

But when a large portion of this thread is populated by neanderthals who think that running the goalie (in a recreational league) is either effective or funny, it's plainly obvious that defending oneself should be an option.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 09:48 AM
  #47
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
You're already of the opinion that goalies should "let the players handle it".

I would never do the move in question, because I prefer a more direct approach.

But when a large portion of this thread is populated by neanderthals who think that running the goalie (in a recreational league) is either effective or funny, it's plainly obvious that defending oneself should be an option.
If you insist on defending yourself because your defensemen don't want to or won't, fine.

I guess you have to do what you have to do right? This oil can move however, that's crossing the line.

It's like groin punching. Men don't do that. Be a man and defend yourself properly.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
  #48
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod View Post
If you insist on defending yourself because your defensemen don't want to or won't, fine.

I guess you have to do what you have to do right? This oil can move however, that's crossing the line.

It's like groin punching. Men don't do that. Be a man and defend yourself properly.
If you weren't trying to protect yourself from some over zealous wannabe goon, manuvers like that wouldn't be part of a goalie's arsenal. Running a goalie in a men's league is childish and deserves to be dealt with in a manner that won't be taken lightly, whether by the goalie or one of his mates.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 10:27 AM
  #49
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor
 
Chalupa Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KariyaIsGod View Post
Be a man and defend yourself properly.
I do (as already mentioned).

But people in this thread are condoning cheap shots against the goaltender. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

Why are cheap shots against the goaltender okay, but cheap shots from the goaltender not allowed?

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 11:00 AM
  #50
Mokoma
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
I understand the headgames but running over the goalie is just ugly. Many times the goalie is in pretty voulnerable position after he made the save and running over him or pushing the defensman on him can cause serious injury. And winning by intentionally injuring the opponents goalie is pathetic.

Mokoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.