HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2013, 10:03 AM
  #501
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida
 
JDinkalage Morgoone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 11,529
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I thought we traded Bob because he didn't wanna sit behind Bryz for 8 years.
I thought this too, to me it was more the organization doing Bob a solid and trying to maximize his value rather than letting him rot.

__________________
"Help was not promised, lovely girl. Only death."
JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:51 PM
  #502
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I thought this too, to me it was more the organization doing Bob a solid and trying to maximize his value rather than letting him rot.
Agreed, it was getting Bob out from behind Bryz to give him a chance to start - and get something good for him.

Mason kind of ticked me off, to be honest. You don't come into a team as backup with 12 games left and start talking about being the starter someday. That's not being a team player. You can THINK it, but don't say it in the media.

Note to Mason: interview script. 'I'm happy to get a new chance to rebuild my game with a new team. I'll support Bryz as much as I can to see if we can make the playoffs. It's too early to talk about next year.'

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
  #503
Clown Baby
Registered User
 
Clown Baby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed, it was getting Bob out from behind Bryz to give him a chance to start - and get something good for him.

Mason kind of ticked me off, to be honest. You don't come into a team as backup with 12 games left and start talking about being the starter someday. That's not being a team player. You can THINK it, but don't say it in the media.

Note to Mason: interview script. 'I'm happy to get a new chance to rebuild my game with a new team. I'll support Bryz as much as I can to see if we can make the playoffs. It's too early to talk about next year.'
Is exactly what a career back-up would say.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  #504
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed, it was getting Bob out from behind Bryz to give him a chance to start - and get something good for him.

Mason kind of ticked me off, to be honest. You don't come into a team as backup with 12 games left and start talking about being the starter someday. That's not being a team player. You can THINK it, but don't say it in the media.

Note to Mason: interview script. 'I'm happy to get a new chance to rebuild my game with a new team. I'll support Bryz as much as I can to see if we can make the playoffs. It's too early to talk about next year.'
disagree 100%...

what kind of professional competitor would he be, saying "im coming here to ride the pine, and hope Bryz is stellar"..

no thx. i want a goalie who wants to play n win..

i could care less if Bryz feels threatened, he bloody well should be..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:39 PM
  #505
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
i find it rather amusing that the gm wasted an assest for a guy who may play 4 or 5 games tops and was no doubt going to be released this summer. amost as bad as a 1st for eminger who also was going to be not qualified.

cant wait to hear the 2 year ext gagne signs for 3mm per.

i am also surprised it took the gm as long as he did to to replace sestito, that was only a matter of time. he had the guy in house but let him go for nothing. trades another asset for a worse player.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
  #506
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,065
vCash: 500
A 3rd is nowhere near as big an asset as a 1st, and the Flyers needed another goalie today, not next season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
  #507
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
i find it rather amusing that the gm wasted an assest for a guy who may play 4 or 5 games tops and was no doubt going to be released this summer. amost as bad as a 1st for eminger who also was going to be not qualified.

cant wait to hear the 2 year ext gagne signs for 3mm per.

i am also surprised it took the gm as long as he did to to replace sestito, that was only a matter of time. he had the guy in house but let him go for nothing. trades another asset for a worse player.
Harry Z. wasn't much of an asset. Meh.

Giving up a 3rd in 2015 isn't quite the same as giving up a 1st on draft day for Eminger.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
  #508
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
disagree 100%...

what kind of professional competitor would he be, saying "im coming here to ride the pine, and hope Bryz is stellar"..

no thx. i want a goalie who wants to play n win..

i could care less if Bryz feels threatened, he bloody well should be..
Couldn't.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
  #509
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
i find it rather amusing that the gm wasted an assest for a guy who may play 4 or 5 games tops and was no doubt going to be released this summer. amost as bad as a 1st for eminger who also was going to be not qualified.

cant wait to hear the 2 year ext gagne signs for 3mm per.

i am also surprised it took the gm as long as he did to to replace sestito, that was only a matter of time. he had the guy in house but let him go for nothing. trades another asset for a worse player.
Do you have any inside knowledge on Steve Mason leaving for free agency this summer? You are aware that we don't have to sign him for that tender right? Mason's already made comments that he's willing to work out a deal before the offseason for cheaper than what he's making now.

I highly doubt Gagne gets that much for a bottom 6 role but if you feel the need to complain about ahead of time go for it.

Harry Z was just speed nothing else to his game was good. The guy was bottom 6 player who was developing a reputation for stupid hits. The guy was a penalty magnet. Besides Rosehill did more in first game than Harry Z did all year.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
  #510
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
People need to
Move on from Harry z. It's okay and the 3rd rd pick has what % chance to play in the NHL? I mean, come on.

I think mason will sign a better deal to stick with this club.

In the end it was foolish to trade a backup in Bob but it's not going to matter much as ( what I'd like) bryz will not be amnestied. At least that is the vibe I get.

If mason can return to a winning form with mental fortitude this works out.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  #511
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Mason's already made comments that he's willing to work out a deal before the offseason for cheaper than what he's making now.
Reports are that it may get done within the week.

Bob wasn't going to be willing to sit behind Bryz for 8 years. I won't be willing to sit behind my tv and watch Bryz for 8 years.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:17 PM
  #512
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Reports are that it may get done within the week.

Bob wasn't going to be willing to sit behind Bryz for 8 years. I won't be willing to sit behind my tv and watch Bryz for 8 years.
It was more of a rhetorical question to that poster.

Anyway all we have to go by right now is his comments to the media and he sounds like he understands his situation. The guy was successful in juniors, in the world juniors, and his first couple of seasons in the NHL and then just hit a wall and didn't know how to handle failure. He has talent and still is young but he's got to get his mental make up back. I'm not holding my breath for him to do so.

If all else fails he's a solid backup goalie and way better than anything we had all year and for that alone people should stop *****ing.


Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-06-2013 at 09:30 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:58 PM
  #513
CSKA1974
Registered User
 
CSKA1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyerville
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
People need to
Move on from Harry z. It's okay and the 3rd rd pick has what % chance to play in the NHL? I mean, come on.

I think mason will sign a better deal to stick with this club.

In the end it was foolish to trade a backup in Bob but it's not going to matter much as ( what I'd like) bryz will not be amnestied. At least that is the vibe I get.

If mason can return to a winning form with mental fortitude this works out.
I would expect Bryz to be bought out next off season. His contract is unsustainable regardless of his play.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:10 PM
  #514
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
I would expect Bryz to be bought out next off season. His contract is unsustainable regardless of his play.
Yes, that is sorta what I expect as we'll...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
  #515
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft
 
BleedOrange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
I would expect Bryz to be bought out next off season. His contract is unsustainable regardless of his play.
Right now Bryz should sit on his ass on the end of the bench and Mason should get the next start and keep starting if he plays well.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:06 AM
  #516
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Do you have any inside knowledge on Steve Mason leaving for free agency this summer? You are aware that we don't have to sign him for that tender right? Mason's already made comments that he's willing to work out a deal before the offseason for cheaper than what he's making now.

I highly doubt Gagne gets that much for a bottom 6 role but if you feel the need to complain about ahead of time go for it.

Harry Z was just speed nothing else to his game was good. The guy was bottom 6 player who was developing a reputation for stupid hits. The guy was a penalty magnet. Besides Rosehill did more in first game than Harry Z did all year.
lets go over the facts. mason is a rfa. do you think columbus is going to qualify their backup goalie for 3mm? do you honestly think that? if you do then that is comical. no need to waste as asset to acquire mason when you can sign him for free in july. period.

you seem to miss the point about the rosehill trade, it has nothing to do with harry z. so go back reread

yeah i will complain because this organization has no direction. gagne, fedotenko should have been moved for draft picks.


Last edited by jb**: 04-07-2013 at 05:19 AM.
jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:42 AM
  #517
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
lets go over the facts. mason is a rfa. do you think columbus is going to qualify their backup goalie for 3mm? do you honestly think that? if you do then that is comical. no need to waste as asset to acquire mason when you can sign him for free in july. period.

you seem to miss the point about the rosehill trade, it has nothing to do with harry z. so go back reread

yeah i will complain because this organization has no direction. gagne, fedotenko should have been moved for draft picks.
It was a third rounder in 2015. It's not the end of the world. We can acquire another third rounder by then. We get to have an early look at Mason for the next couple of games and see how he fits in with the team. We needed a backup goalie anyway. Lavi had zero trust in Leighton/Boucher.

Then why are you complaining about it? That type of trade shouldn't warrant any type of reaction whether its good or bad. It was a no namer for a no namer.

Gagne had little to no value. Feds you might of been able to get a 3rd round pick for. Is it really worth it to move them for that kind of return? Especially when we had/have a thin lineup?

I would somewhat agree with you about the organization has no direction but the things you listed are pretty minimal on the things to complain about.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:56 AM
  #518
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 12,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
lets go over the facts. mason is a rfa. do you think columbus is going to qualify their backup goalie for 3mm? do you honestly think that? if you do then that is comical. no need to waste as asset to acquire mason when you can sign him for free in july. period.

you seem to miss the point about the rosehill trade, it has nothing to do with harry z. so go back reread

yeah i will complain because this organization has no direction. gagne, fedotenko should have been moved for draft picks.
What makes you so certain that teams were offering useful assets for Gagne or Fedotenko?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:37 AM
  #519
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly
Country: Israel
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed, it was getting Bob out from behind Bryz to give him a chance to start - and get something good for him.

Mason kind of ticked me off, to be honest. You don't come into a team as backup with 12 games left and start talking about being the starter someday. That's not being a team player. You can THINK it, but don't say it in the media.

Note to Mason: interview script. 'I'm happy to get a new chance to rebuild my game with a new team. I'll support Bryz as much as I can to see if we can make the playoffs. It's too early to talk about next year.'
No way. I want a winner. I want someone who wants the spot right away. Not someone who is broken and excepts his role.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:44 AM
  #520
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Harry Z. wasn't much of an asset. Meh.

Giving up a 3rd in 2015 isn't quite the same as giving up a 1st on draft day for Eminger.
never said it was, it is the same premise. both would be available for free if there was any patience shown. maybe you then use the 3rd with something else to something better no?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  #521
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
What makes you so certain that teams were offering useful assets for Gagne or Fedotenko?
quick question, do you think at least a 6th rd pick was posisbly offered for either? if you wan them back nextyear you can easily have that arranged. then get whatever pick you can for them.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:48 AM
  #522
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It was a third rounder in 2015. It's not the end of the world. We can acquire another third rounder by then. We get to have an early look at Mason for the next couple of games and see how he fits in with the team. We needed a backup goalie anyway. Lavi had zero trust in Leighton/Boucher.

Then why are you complaining about it? That type of trade shouldn't warrant any type of reaction whether its good or bad. It was a no namer for a no namer.

Gagne had little to no value. Feds you might of been able to get a 3rd round pick for. Is it really worth it to move them for that kind of return? Especially when we had/have a thin lineup?

I would somewhat agree with you about the organization has no direction but the things you listed are pretty minimal on the things to complain about.
you just are not grasping hte whole asset management aspect it looks like.

an early look at mason, give me a break. wha do you need to see? no conclusion wll nor should be maed inthe 4 or 5 games he ends up playing. he has been trending downward for years now.

so when yo make valid points it is complaining, sure why not.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
  #523
HighOFFHockey
Registered User
 
HighOFFHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly
Country: Israel
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
you just are not grasping hte whole asset management aspect it looks like.

an early look at mason, give me a break. wha do you need to see? no conclusion wll nor should be maed inthe 4 or 5 games he ends up playing. he has been trending downward for years now.

so when yo make valid points it is complaining, sure why not.
Because in the past there have been clear displays of players turning their career around in another city, under another team. And when the kid is 24, there is still a lot of room to grow. I wonder what would have happened to Bernier and Schneider if they played the first 3 seasons of their career for the worst team in the league.

Have some creativity. The players YOU want are not always available. So all a team can do is take risks and hope they pay off.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
  #524
jb**
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Planet Lovetron
Country: Italy
Posts: 8,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Because in the past there have been clear displays of players turning their career around in another city, under another team. And when the kid is 24, there is still a lot of room to grow. I wonder what would have happened to Bernier and Schneider if they played the first 3 seasons of their career for the worst team in the league.

Have some creativity. The players YOU want are not always available. So all a team can do is take risks and hope they pay off.
there is stll a lot of room to grow, that is possible. isnt it also possible that he has reached his peak and what you see is what you will get? isnt also posisbl he can regress as well?

in the past yes guys have turned it around. in the past many many more guys have not.

no problem taking a risk on him, hsould have waited and got himfor free is al i am saying. there was no need to waste an asset imo. i would also bet they could have sent a 7th pick come draft time for him imo.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  #525
Appleyard
Registered User
 
Appleyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manc/Shef/Utrecht
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 165
A third round pick has a 20% chance of being a decent NHL 3rd to 4th liner, about 10% chance of being a 1st to 2nd liner and a 5% chance of being on an all star team at some point in their career.

And people are still *****ing about giving one up... in 2015?! A third rounder is equal to a 6th and 7th statistically... who gives a damn about 6th and 7ths?

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.