HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Old
04-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
No but Dave Branch is paranoid and obsessed with not losing high end talent to the US. To me the idea that he was given status to make sure he wasn't lost to USA Hockey does make sense even if he had hurdles to clear before playing for them. Exceptional players shouldn't be going fourth overall. You can question teams like the Erie Otters passing on him because how they've been mismanaged for years but the Ottawa 67's are a good organization and it sounds like Konecny wasn't even that tough of a choice (their scouts unanimously agreed Konecny was the best player available if you believe their press conference). The guys who actually make a living in hockey are passing on Sean Day. Draft position doesn't really matter, he got the status and is gonna play in the league next year, it's up to him to live up to the status. I would still like to see him go to Erie.

This whole process is weird, every media scout I'm reading loves Day, yet not one but three OHL teams passing on him?
I can't believe that because Kilrea does scouting for them and it's pretty clear he thinks Day is one of the best players that he's seen in his lifetime. They were set on Konecny forever it seems, perhaps their scouts just couldn't let go.

I wouldn't be surprised if Day (When he got exceptional status) said he would refuse to play for certain teams, Peterborough would definitely be on that list and even with McDavid I bet Erie was too.

Every person who's talked thought Day was the unanaminous best player, but three teams who've barely talked about it (Except for Ottawa today) have/are going to pass on him. Maybe this isn't such a bad thing though. Erie and Peterborough aren't great places to develop.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
That's what the OHL Draft Guide has him as.
I assume he was measured and weighed at the OHL Combine. Very weird.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Torgo

When Ekblad was drafted, was he also playing a year up as well? I'm just curious because he was a little over a ppg and Day has not been producing at that level this year. I know stats aren't everything (especially at these levels where players with no pro aspirations can put up quality numbers) and it sounds like he has amazing tools but if he was super focused and always gave 100% I would expect better production from an Exceptional Player. I know some have said his maturity level was a potential factor in him not be granted exceptional status, could maturity issues have led to consistency issues for him?

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:22 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
When Ekblad was drafted, was he also playing a year up as well? I'm just curious because he was a little over a ppg and Day has not been producing at that level this year. I know stats aren't everything (especially at these levels where players with no pro aspirations can put up quality numbers) and it sounds like he has amazing tools but if he was super focused and always gave 100% I would expect better production from an Exceptional Player. I know some have said his maturity level was a potential factor in him not be granted exceptional status, could maturity issues have led to consistency issues for him?
Yep, Ekblad played a year up, him and current Spitfire Trevor Murphy were the two highest scorers on that Sun County team, both from the back end.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
The reports seem to say Day is not trying because he's too good for the level. People who've watched him seem to say that he'll skate circles around everybody then dump the puck in. Ekblad clearly did not play like that. Day plays to his talent when games have mattered though.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:33 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
The reports seem to say Day is not trying because he's too good for the level. People who've watched him seem to say that he'll skate circles around everybody then dump the puck in. Ekblad clearly did not play like that. Day plays to his talent when games have mattered though.
The ISS report says right in it "less than stellar performance in the Michigan Minor Midget state playoffs to end his competitive playing season." So which games actually mattered?

Old
04-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
The ISS report says right in it "less than stellar performance in the Michigan Minor Midget state playoffs to end his competitive playing season." So which games actually mattered?
Games in front of large crowds of scouts I'd imagine.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
I donno about the last sentence but all the footage I've watched of Day goes with what you said. He picks up the puck in the defensive zone, walks around everyone like it's absolutely nothing then fires it in the corner. It's almost like he prefers stopping kids then scoring on them lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Games in front of large crowds of scouts I'd imagine.
AKA The Silverstick.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Sounds dumb enough alright.

If he's that good, he should do everything necessary to help his team win, no matter how "better" than everyone else he feels he is.

No wonder why teams stay away from him.

Passchendaele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post

If he's that good, he should do everything necessary to help his team win, no matter how "better" than everyone else he feels he is.

It would be awfully hard to invest such a high pick on a kid who coasted so much.

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 30m
I scout I spoke with is "99.9 percent sure" the Mississauga Steelheads will take Sean Day with the fourth overall pick in OHL draft.

We will find out in the morning for sure, I was beginning to wonder if Mississauga would even take him because for a while there we were learning a new kid who was gonna go ahead of Day every week. The Steelheads lose Demelo, Percy and Cord so there won't be a lot getting in the way of Day on the depth chart. I hope he is successful, having such a high end prospect in the OHL like he can be is exciting.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 04-05-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post

You mean his team that finished first place with a 19-4-3 record in the High Performance Hockey League?

Old
04-05-2013, 11:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Sean Day ‏@SeanDay66 3m
At the Real Sports Bar in downtown Toronto... This place is packed. I'm just trying to get a bite to eat! #Crowded

^^ sounds like Mississauga is choosing him if he's in downtown T.O. this late at night?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

It's going to be the ultimate tease to him in a stealhead sweater.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:35 AM
Mr Writer

This could have all been pre-determined months ago, the OHL draft is a different beast altogether. With the Brampton franchise on the move, Mississauga/Toronto, I'd imagine the commute from Detroit to Toronto is easier for his parents, a quick flight, a not so far drive..plus, this is good motivation for the kid, not everything should be gift wrapped and handed to him.. it's good to face a little adversity, man up and prove some of the doubters wrong...hope he trains with the guru Gary Roberts and lets see what he can do..our first look will be in July at the All-Canadian mentorship game and a few years playing jr... until then, lets not rush to judgement on the kid...

Somehow if he doesn't score 5 pts in his first OHL game, the geniuses around here will make their opinions heard.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:34 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
All he does is skate?

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Canuck71

Not disrespecting the 3 players picked above Day but I think he is gunna have those teams kicking themselves in the future for not selecting him.

Ive watched a lot of Minor Midget hockey in the past few years trying to stay on top of the next big talents coming to the OHL and in all of my viewings I have never ever seen a defenseman with Day's stature skate like that. It is incredible to watch. I think that alone will make his adjustment to the OHL a hell of a lot easier.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:55 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

I can't fathom how all 3 teams passed on this kid. 67s picking Konecny can at least be justified in my eyes. The Otters passing on Day cannot.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Tank

vCash: 50
At least he went to the team I support in the O.

81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Icebreakers

Dylan Strome is a pretty damn good player. He had a higher ppg than Mcdavid albiet a year older.

Icebreakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Garyboy

I can't wait until they play "It's A Beautiful Day" every time Sean tickles the twine at the Chocolate Factory next season.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Scarecrow Boat

I have a conspiracy theory that involves Sean Day requesting to play in Toronto and getting the commish to give him exceptional status + getting the first commish to force 3 teams to pass on him to go to Mississauga. Sadly that makes more sense to me then 3 teams passing on this kid haha

Old
04-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
I have a conspiracy theory that involves Sean Day requesting to play in Toronto and getting the commish to give him exceptional status + getting the first commish to force 3 teams to pass on him to go to Mississauga. Sadly that makes more sense to me then 3 teams passing on this kid haha

It's not the commissioner who decides, you silly goose! Nonetheless, I like the cut of your jib, Adam.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:57 PM
jfb392

TSN did a feature on him today.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Thanks a lot for posting this! That was a great piece on him. I could watch him skate all day.