HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franchise futur ??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-23-2006, 01:34 AM
  #1
GoodRoots
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Franchise futur ??

We all know Bob as to build a cup contender for the 100th. If we take a look on the past winning teams roster it's easy to see that the most important players are the #1 center, the goalie and the #2 center. Now if we analyse habs 2006/2007 roster and prospects, I think we already have 2/3, #2 centers (plecks, Higgins or Chip) and the goalie (Price), the question mark is the #1 center. Will Koivu make it to 2009 as the #1 center?? I'm not sure, this guy is so unlucky.

My point is : we will badly need a #1 center and I want you guys to tell me what would you try to do if you were Bob Gainey??

For me I think i would try everything to get a promising center prospect or a really good first overall pick THIS YEAR, sacrifying a playoff spot if I had to...

I know it's prematured but what do you think ???

PS sorry for my bad english

GoodRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 01:39 AM
  #2
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,594
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
For me I think i would try everything to get a promising center prospect or a really good first overall pick THIS YEAR, sacrifying a playoff spot if I had to...
Absolutely no reason to throw a season. Not for a better draft pick, not for anything.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 01:56 AM
  #3
GoodRoots
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Absolutely no reason to throw a season. Not for a better draft pick, not for anything.
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!

GoodRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 02:09 AM
  #4
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,594
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
Why trade talent away now, though? If we can compete now, we don't have to wait til 09.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:11 AM
  #5
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
If Koivu can stay healthy.. I believe in our chances right now... Ideally an elite centerman would be welcome and I believe we will have the money to acquire one by free agency when the time will come considering we have a pretty solid bank of prospects..

I still have faith in Koivu to make this team win a Stanley cup, this guy has been so badlucky all his carreer long... but I always thought he was a special player with a so big hart, I think it could be his year... After a cancer, knee injury, eye injury... A Stanley cup would be amazing not only for the fans but for Koivu himself... One thing sure, I think it will be the best team Koivu has ever played on... Offensively we will be a much more different team... No more Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom... Quality on every lines... In fact, the only question marks at the moment are Ribeiro, Ryder, Perezhogin... Im a big Perezhogin fan and Im convinced this guy will build on his superb playoffs and be a huge part of the team success.. I know when this kid will feel quite confortable, he will be a hell of player to watch.. Ribeiro and Ryder can be replaced and upgraded from inside... Jonhson can play center, Plekanec can center the second line easily and compliment guys like Kovalev, Samsonov perfectly, Bonk can assume a more offensively minded role centering our third line as well... About Ryder we will see, we have some amazing prospects waiting for their chance.. Solid energy players on the fourth led by Begin.

I think it will be the year where everything will fall in place... Some fans will realize how great our prospects are... suddenly, no one will call Kostitsyn a bust but rather a keeper, a game breaker with real star potential... Suddenly, Perezhogin will make everybody every time he jump on the ice.. Suddenly, it will become evident for everybody that Ribeiro cant survive as a Habs with Plekanec blowing in his back when we all know Chipchura is coming soon, probably next year. Suddenly, Latendresse will prove his real value, one of the most promising young PF in the game... Carey Price with an outstanding WJC... Our kids will amaze you so much that you will start to wonder if one of our past and future first round picks (since 2001) will ever bust.. Suddenly, everything will become clear and evident for everyone, the worst nighmare of other teams supporters will become reality, Habs are back for glory!

A big thank you to Mr. Boivin for his golden admistrator qualities!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 05:40 AM
  #6
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,798
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
With the new free agency rules, by 2009 we will be able to sign a player who is about 26 or 27, ie prime of his career, to be our number one center. No need to trade away assets now or not make the playoffs now.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 08:36 AM
  #7
Catch-22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
We all know Bob as to build a cup contender for the 100th. If we take a look on the past winning teams roster it's easy to see that the most important players are the #1 center, the goalie and the #2 center. Now if we analyse habs 2006/2007 roster and prospects, I think we already have 2/3, #2 centers (plecks, Higgins or Chip) and the goalie (Price), the question mark is the #1 center. Will Koivu make it to 2009 as the #1 center?? I'm not sure, this guy is so unlucky.

My point is : we will badly need a #1 center and I want you guys to tell me what would you try to do if you were Bob Gainey??

For me I think i would try everything to get a promising center prospect or a really good first overall pick THIS YEAR, sacrifying a playoff spot if I had to...

I know it's prematured but what do you think ???

PS sorry for my bad english

Don't worry about your english if your post is good enough to strike at the heart of the Habs most urgent dilemma. It is much better to read that then a post written in perfect english that expresses nothing of relevance.

We have lots of talent on the wing but no 1-2 centres for the long term (except Koivu, whose long term health remains uncertain). It is for this exact reason that Michael Ryder is an expendable player. Danis, Halak and Aebischer all have the potential to be number one goaltenders of varying importance so they may also be good trade bait.

Of course I prefer the draft but it is unlikely that a 2007 draft pick will be ready for 1st-2nd line duties by the 2008-2009 season. I fear that we have run out of time to go the draft route.


Last edited by Catch-22: 08-23-2006 at 08:41 AM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 08:59 AM
  #8
radir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
You underestimate the financial importance of making the playoffs.

radir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 09:07 AM
  #9
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Right... Let's suck for the next 3 seasons in order to have some draft pick to win for the 100th anniversary.

I can't believe some people actually think this way and call themselves hockey fans.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
  #10
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
To be honest, I don't think Gainey's goal is to win the cup in '09. I think he goal is to win the cup EVERY year. In the new NHL we have already seen how quickly a team can turn its fortunes around (all four teams from the conference finals last year were non-playoff teams the previous season), and I agree that you should always have an eye on the future, but right now I think all Bob's attention is focused on the '06-'07 season and not 2-3 years away.

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 10:01 AM
  #11
Squeaky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodRoots View Post
what I was trying to say is trading players that are good now but won't fit in 2009 for a good pick or prospect, not to be the last in the league. It's more like an investment and don't forget Bob's goal is to win the cup in 2009. Maybe to radical for you guys!!
The entire roster is young enough to still be playing excellent hockey in 2009. Kovalev is the oldest player on the team, and he'll only be 36 then. He, and other guys like Koivu and Rivet might not still be top line threats at that point, but most cup winning teams have veterans sprinkled throughout their lineup the year they win the cup. For example, Carolina had Brind'Amour, Whitney, Wesley and Hedican.

I firmly believe that to win the cup you need a good mix of youth and vets. Carolina had the vets I mentioned, but also guys like Staal, Ladd and Ward, who all combined to take them to the promised land. If the habs are shooting for a cup by '09, it's really too late to be drafting players to help them, unless we somehow get a top-3 or so pick, or fluke ourselves a Bergeron. Most players take at least four years after being drafted to be productive in the NHL, so the next draft would really only be helpful for 2010 and later. The habs already have the prospects who might make an impact before 09 in the system. We're finishing up the rebuilding now, the next few years will show us if it will yeild results.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
  #12
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
If Koivu can stay healthy.. I believe in our chances right now... Ideally an elite centerman would be welcome and I believe we will have the money to acquire one by free agency when the time will come considering we have a pretty solid bank of prospects..

I still have faith in Koivu to make this team win a Stanley cup, this guy has been so badlucky all his carreer long... but I always thought he was a special player with a so big hart, I think it could be his year... After a cancer, knee injury, eye injury... A Stanley cup would be amazing not only for the fans but for Koivu himself... One thing sure, I think it will be the best team Koivu has ever played on... Offensively we will be a much more different team... No more Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom... Quality on every lines... In fact, the only question marks at the moment are Ribeiro, Ryder, Perezhogin... Im a big Perezhogin fan and Im convinced this guy will build on his superb playoffs and be a huge part of the team success.. I know when this kid will feel quite confortable, he will be a hell of player to watch.. Ribeiro and Ryder can be replaced and upgraded from inside... Jonhson can play center, Plekanec can center the second line easily and compliment guys like Kovalev, Samsonov perfectly, Bonk can assume a more offensively minded role centering our third line as well... About Ryder we will see, we have some amazing prospects waiting for their chance.. Solid energy players on the fourth led by Begin.

I think it will be the year where everything will fall in place... Some fans will realize how great our prospects are... suddenly, no one will call Kostitsyn a bust but rather a keeper, a game breaker with real star potential... Suddenly, Perezhogin will make everybody every time he jump on the ice.. Suddenly, it will become evident for everybody that Ribeiro cant survive as a Habs with Plekanec blowing in his back when we all know Chipchura is coming soon, probably next year. Suddenly, Latendresse will prove his real value, one of the most promising young PF in the game... Carey Price with an outstanding WJC... Our kids will amaze you so much that you will start to wonder if one of our past and future first round picks (since 2001) will ever bust.. Suddenly, everything will become clear and evident for everyone, the worst nighmare of other teams supporters will become reality, Habs are back for glory!

A big thank you to Mr. Boivin for his golden admistrator qualities!
I really like your optimism and I sure hope we are right. Guys like Fischer, Carle and Emelin will impress us too IMO, but we need to be careful and not get carried away. We have a great prospect pool but no real room on our roster. Gainey signed Samsonov and traded for Johnson that must mean that he feels that Latendresse and Kostistsyn are not ready yet. Johnson is probably there for only one season and could be used on the fourth line if one of AK or Lats has a real great camp however. But Samsonov is here to stay and with him, Higgins, Ryder and Kovalev all there until 2009 I really don't see any prospect winning a place. I'm afraid you have too much NHL talent and that we'll have a logjam in a not so distant future...

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 11:37 AM
  #13
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
IMO, we have a pretty good team this year. And with all our prospects, the future looks really bright. I say wait to see what our current team can do before saying that we need a #1 center.

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
  #14
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
I really like your optimism and I sure hope we are right. Guys like Fischer, Carle and Emelin will impress us too IMO, but we need to be careful and not get carried away. We have a great prospect pool but no real room on our roster. Gainey signed Samsonov and traded for Johnson that must mean that he feels that Latendresse and Kostistsyn are not ready yet. Johnson is probably there for only one season and could be used on the fourth line if one of AK or Lats has a real great camp however. But Samsonov is here to stay and with him, Higgins, Ryder and Kovalev all there until 2009 I really don't see any prospect winning a place. I'm afraid you have too much NHL talent and that we'll have a logjam in a not so distant future...
Gainey will keep the best ones... Dont bet your money on Ryder to be a Habs for long... Jonhson should be gone next year and I cant see Ribeiro coming back next year as well with Plekanec and Chipchura in the picture... Possibility of 3 spots open.. Chipchura should take the third line center one and look for Latendresse, Kostitsyn to be on the team. Grabovski as 14th foward?

As I said, only the best ones will survive and I just cant see our 2 best fowards prospects not doing better than some of our actual regulars.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 03:38 PM
  #15
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
To be honest, I don't think Gainey's goal is to win the cup in '09. I think he goal is to win the cup EVERY year. In the new NHL we have already seen how quickly a team can turn its fortunes around (all four teams from the conference finals last year were non-playoff teams the previous season), and I agree that you should always have an eye on the future, but right now I think all Bob's attention is focused on the '06-'07 season and not 2-3 years away.
Attaboy! That is the exact response to the question.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
  #16
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
To be honest, I don't think Gainey's goal is to win the cup in '09. I think he goal is to win the cup EVERY year. In the new NHL we have already seen how quickly a team can turn its fortunes around (all four teams from the conference finals last year were non-playoff teams the previous season), and I agree that you should always have an eye on the future, but right now I think all Bob's attention is focused on the '06-'07 season and not 2-3 years away.
I agree. Every team is so close now. A couple late additions and breakout years from young players can spell the difference.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 12:34 AM
  #17
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
I wouldnt sacrifie a playoff spot like you say with the team we have right now. Last year our team seemed to stand for each others and did look pretty good at the end of the year. Everything can happen in playoff and good things can happen with this rosters in place. I like our rosters.

Edit : but sure i want a star player... i say we get it via a trade when all our prospect/young players will have good value... in a year or two. When latendresse, kostitsyn, grabo, perezhogin will come in and take a bigger roles.. cause we know they will... well we will have good assets to trade.

F. Duchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 01:15 AM
  #18
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,755
vCash: 500
Crosby will sign with us when he's UFA.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 01:45 AM
  #19
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Crosby will sign with us when he's UFA.
And he will bring Ovechkin, Malkin and Phaneuf with him and they'll all take league minimum because they know Montreal kicks it old school.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.