HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 4-1

Old
04-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
You think he was slow this year?Bah!You'll really see slow next year.

As long as he throws in a couple of those beauty late game slashes to make up for his lack of speed.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Tencer is already crowing about massive strides being made this season. Way to be premature.
To be fair he's dealing with guys who are calling in suggesting trading two of RNH, Gagner and Eberle.
I think I recognized the last caller from the board

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Didn't get to watch the game due to an Buec assignment. Occasionally looked at the score and wasn't surprised.

People here should be happy, that 5 game win streak basically averted a bottom 5 finish.

I think if you just accept that we are not making the playoffs you'll find it a lot easier to go on this season. I still think we won't even make it next year because this team will get exposed over a long season.

However, I firmly believe that in two seasons we will finally enter the playoffs. 2016 will be the end of a 10 year drought.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
sid49
#FreeGaza

Oh and props to tambo for picking up Smithson! He brings so much more to the table then Belanger and Fraiser!!

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I'm watching the Habs right now against Boston and they relish the contact and don't shy away from anything, despite being quite a bit softer, smaller generally speaking.

No one on the Oilers, NO ONE, dares throw a harder check or rub someone out a bit harder against the boards. It's infuriating to watch. Softest ****ing team in the league. One dimensional offense. The problems with this team are crystal ****ing clear, it's ALL on management now to make the necessary moves and tough decisions to help take things to the next level.

Smitty, Gagner, Belanger, Jones, Potter, N Schultz (unless he's dropped down to a bottom pairing depth guy and wants to re-sign for cheap) Whitney, Petrell, Hemsky hell even Horcoff and one of RNH/Ebs/Hall or Yak will absolutely have to be traded, moved for some sort of big return, for a legit 2 C and/or big wingers... I could go on but we all know what the deal is.

Gotta get rid of all the dead wood.

Last edited by Philly85: 04-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:40 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Didn't get to watch the game due to an Buec assignment. Occasionally looked at the score and wasn't surprised.

People here should be happy, that 5 game win streak basically averted a bottom 5 finish.

I think if you just accept that we are not making the playoffs you'll find it a lot easier to go on this season. I still think we won't even make it next year because this team will get exposed over a long season.

However, I firmly believe that in two seasons we will finally enter the playoffs. 2016 will be the end of a 10 year drought.
Why would you want to avert a bottom five finish if you're not going to make the playoffs? You're a loser either way but at least finishing in the bottom five you get a nicer prize for being the suckiest of the sucks.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
The problems with this team are crystal ****ing clear, it's ALL on management now to make the necessary moves and tough decisions to help take things to the next level.
It has been for 24 months. Still, nothing done to fix the problem. He clearly does not see what 95% of the others do. Pretty crazy given that he is a GM. It is very similar to Feaster. He thinks he can outsmart everyone, but he only outsmarts himself.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:46 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Scurlock View Post
Why would you want to avert a bottom five finish if you're not going to make the playoffs? You're a loser either way but at least finishing in the bottom five you get a nicer prize for being the suckiest of the sucks.
Showing improvement and getting rid of our losing culture are far more important than another high draft pick.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:51 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Meh, I don't care about draft picks anymore. I want this team to suck to get rid of our GM.

This team has had more then enough help from the draft, its time to actually build a team.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
I don't understand why some people still don't understand the need for this group to play meaningful games at this point.

Free agents will take notice if the stay in a playoff race and show signs of improvement.

They'll get a good player between 10-15.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Not upset at all, not sure why some of you are.
This outcome was entirely predictable just like the Canucks game. The Oilers quite simply aren't equipped to compete against legit playoff teams when they are on their game and are playing at their pace especially on the road.

I think the winning streak warped expectations around here to unreasonable levels. Playoffs was always a huge longshot. It was predictable that the team would take a dip once the schedule toughened up. Such is life for a young, incomplete team with underwhelming veterans. Tambellini has his work cut out for him this offseason. Hopefully, he watches these types of games and realizes that a lot of changes need to be made and in particular, that bottom 6 and the defensive top pairing.
I was agreeing with you until the bolded..The bottom six isn't the problem. They never actually even got scored on in this game. I keep saying it and I know some others say as well..We need a revamp with our top 6. We have the wrong mix. We need to correct that by trading Gagner and Hemmer and whatever draft picks/young prospects (outside RNH, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Smid, Petry and J Schultz)for some bigger, stronger, tougher players with skill that can play in the top 6. That's going to take some skill and creativity on the part of Oil management but that's what they get paid for.
That doesn't mean we can't retool on the bottom 6 as well for better players but they won't have the biggest impact. It's the top 6 and top 2 D pairing.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Showing improvement and getting rid of our losing culture are far more important than another high draft pick.
I agree but the Oilers have been a bit lucky these past 2-3 weeks (I'm talking the winning streak and a few games they won before), it's a bit smoke and mirrors with this team IMO. So if they finish 9-10-11th I don't think this will necessarily instill a feeling with players on the roster or the organization as a whole that they're eradicating themselves of this "losing culture". Plus it will probably give management extra ammo in sprayin the "stay the course, see, were improving and everything is good" nonsense. and they are improving but I digress... I'm not saying they need to throw in the towel by any means but they could definitely use another blue chip asset, either centre or D, and if one or two spots lower will help them get that one better player/asset they need, well then I won't complain if they finish 23-24-25. It's all about the bigger picture. They still need to draft good players and desperately need their lower picks to start turning out, so far nada outside of maybe Hartikainen and one or two others. Anyways I'm rambling on but I would definitely be happy if they drafted another stud and the proceeded to make some big trades and such in the off-season, like a Blue Jays esque overhaul I'm talking.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:05 PM
belair

How to defeat the Edmonton Oilers : 2013 Edition

Page 1 of 1, Centred text, 12 font, Times New Roman

"Gap Control"

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
It's too bad that 5 game win streak has been completely undone by the last two games.

This team doesn't have what it takes.
that's why I was so irked with the fans that got so cocky during the win streak and starting trumpeting the Oilers dominance.

We again got to see what hockey is played like by a good team with good management. compared to the Oilers, it's still night and day.

I also wonder how many games the oilers gave up a goal on the first or second shot. that doesn't help much either, being behind the 8 ball so early.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
Look at the bright side. Playoffs = more Tambo. We go downhill the rest of the season and Tambo should be gone.
There is no way that Tambo will be let go this year if we almost make the playoffs. If we would have finished near last again, then yeah, but we won't. Tambo will be back next year, with the expectation of making the playoffs. Next year his job is on the line, but that just is not the case this year.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:24 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
There is no way that Tambo will be let go this year if we almost make the playoffs. If we would have finished near last again, then yeah, but we won't. Tambo will be back next year, with the expectation of making the playoffs. Next year his job is on the line, but that just is not the case this year.
Tank nation is back. This time I don't even care about the pick.

Old
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
dnicks17

Doesn't matter where we finish.

Being better than dead last is enough to sell to the fans to keep Tambo around.

Might not be for a lot of people on HF, but easily enough to continue selling out every night.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'm counting on him retiring or being bought out
Don't count on it. This is the Oilers.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
We've lost every game Smithson has been in the line up. They gonna send him down to play with Eager and Hordi? He would probably clear waivers. Meanwhile Jokinen looking great last night.
Umh, yeah.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
I don't understand why some people still don't understand the need for this group to play meaningful games at this point.

Free agents will take notice if the stay in a playoff race and show signs of improvement.

They'll get a good player between 10-15.
Free agents want money. Those like Iginla who want the best chance to win the cup won't even sniff around Edmonton as we're far from being in the spot where we attract those kinds of guys. So you finish near the bottom and trade the first pick if you can get it for some real help.

Meaningful games equal playoffs. I do not want this team to be like the Oilers of the MacT years where we hope to squeak in at the 8th spot and have nothing to show for it when we finish 9th or 10th.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Tank nation is back. This time I don't even care about the pick.
What are you talking about ?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:46 PM
rookie boy

Was at the game today. It's hard to even get mad at the guys as that would summon more effort and grit than the team showed.
Positives: First time in over a year I've seen MPS play live. Totally different player out there. Very encouraging to see.
Negatives: Just sort of a blah game where one team is so obviously better and more confident then the other. The Kings had the answer's today when the Oilers didn't even know the question.

Anyway, seeing them in Anaheim Monday night, then I'll write up a bit about the Arenas. So far, Staples center, what a facility.

rookie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:51 PM
oilphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What are you talking about ?
Was in response to a conversation with JadeDog. He was referring to the fact that Tambo would be kept as long as we didn't finish at or near the bottom. I was joking that I was hoping to tank just so we could get rid of him (only half joking), not because we would get a great pick.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:10 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Atleast we will finish ahead of the Flames....

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:18 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Atleast we will finish ahead of the Flames....

Bad thing is that Calgary is most likely going to get one of:

Jonathan Drouin
Nathan Mackinnon
Seth Jones

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote