HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Devastate

vCash: 500
That fourth goal was flat out embarrassing. Just watched the highlights.

How'd mason look?

Old
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
That fourth goal was flat out embarrassing. Just watched the highlights.

How'd mason look?
Too small of a sample size to get a real good feel. He moves around well, good with handling the puck, but he had trouble handling a few rebounds.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-06-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old
04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Our beat writers are usually crap, but this article is interesting: Goalies save percentage under Hitchcock vs under all other coaches they had. (The exemption is this season).

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...tch_magic.html

ANDY MOOG - Dallas (1995-97)
Under Hitchcock (2 seasons). . . .906
Everyone else (13 seasons). . . .890
ED BELFOUR - Dallas (1997-2002)
Under Hitchcock (5 seasons). . . .910
Everyone else (12 seasons). . . .905
ROMAN CECHMANEK - Flyers (2002-03)
Under Hitchcock (1 season). . . .925
Everyone else (3 seasons). . . .916
ROBERT ESCHE - Flyers (2002-07)
Under Hitchcock (4 seasons). . . .900
Everyone else (4 seasons). . . .896
PASCAL LECLAIRE - Columbus (2007-08)
Under Hitchcock (1 season) . . . .919
Everyone else (6 seasons). . . .897
STEVE MASON - Columbus (2008-2010)
Under Hitchcock (2 seasons). . . .914
Everyone else (3 seasons). . . .896
JAROSLAV HALAK - St. Louis (2011-12)
Under Hitchcock (1 season) . . . .926
Everyone else (5 seasons). . . .915
BRIAN ELLIOTT - St. Louis (2011-12)
Under Hitchcock (1 season). . . .940
Everyone else (5 seasons). . . .901
TOTAL - 8 GOALTENDERS
Under Hitchcock. . . .918
Everyone else. . . .902
That IS quite interesting, thanks for posting it.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I moved my right arm to face palm during the fourth goal, which was more than Bryz moved on it
hahaaa.. nice..

Old
04-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Curufinwe

The fourth goal was a lot like the goal Nash scored last time they played in NY.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The fourth goal was a lot like the goal Nash scored last time they played in NY.
If I recall correctly, Nash's was a world-class shot. Little's was...meh.

Old
04-06-2013, 08:59 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
If I recall correctly, Nash's was a world-class shot. Little's was...meh.
It was. Little's was a bad goal.

On the other 3, i don't see how you can fault the goaltender exclusively.

I mean, lets just leave someone undefended 8 feet out...nothing bad will happen there right?

Now Mason is the hero tonight because the Jets didn't put nearly the same pressure on him in the 3rd that Bryz had in the 2nd.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
It was. Little's was a bad goal.

On the other 3, i don't see how you can fault the goaltender exclusively.

I mean, lets just leave someone undefended 8 feet out...nothing bad will happen there right?

Now Mason is the hero tonight because the Jets didn't put nearly the same pressure on him in the 3rd that Bryz had in the 2nd.
Bryz looked like a beer league goaltender on the 4th goal. Seriously, that's as bad as it gets. How an NHL goalie can look that bad I have no idea, and have no idea how anyone could have any faith in him after seeing that. He's been ****** almost his entire tenure as a Flyer. I'm not holding my breath on Mason being the man, but at least he's not Bryzgalov.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:41 PM
BernieParent

My hope is that there is a healthy split of games over the last 10. Evaluate Mason's play (with the caveat that he is playing behind a patchwork defense), but also Bryzgalov's fight and battle after he's had time to rest. I'll chalk up today to just fatigue and frustration, but I'd want to see a full-on effort from Bryzgalov after 2 (suggested) games off.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
spudnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
My hope is that there is a healthy split of games over the last 10. Evaluate Mason's play (with the caveat that he is playing behind a patchwork defense), but also Bryzgalov's fight and battle after he's had time to rest. I'll chalk up today to just fatigue and frustration, but I'd want to see a full-on effort from Bryzgalov after 2 (suggested) games off.
Why, he's done as a Flyer. Everyone knows it. Him being bought out is a formality.

Old
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Why, he's done as a Flyer. Everyone knows it. Him being bought out is a formality.
I would think he gets another year next year. Next summer though no matter what he should get bought out.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
I doubt it. If the whole team had been playing less than putrid for most of this shortened season, they could probably hang the scapegoat horns on Bryzgalov and move ahead with the amnesty. But with no solid plan B in place, Holmgren and company would be foolish to reboot and start the carousel all over again.

As with many posters here (obviously not part of your 'everyone'), I think next year will be a test if Mason can handle a back-up role (20-25 games) and if Bryzgalov can rebound.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The only way I can see Bryz getting bought-out this summer is if a clear cut option comes available. Whether it be through trade or a guy like Luongo gets bought-out and hits free agency. I think both are highly unlikely though.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I would think he gets another year next year. Next summer though no matter what he should get bought out.
if you're going to buy him out. why even bother to wait another year. save everyone the aggravation and send his ass out the door

Old
04-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
My god, I just went on NHL GCL to watch the goals against bryz.

The 4th was just.. I don't know.. he looked like he didn't even TRY to stop that shot.

How do you guys watch this POS play every game? And how are there still flyers fans defending him? At this point I'd think anyone defending bryz is an opposing fan trolling.. In new york people ***** endlessly about boron's 5 hole and he hardly even plays.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Cardds

Can Laviolette please just finally give Bryz a ******* day off already? I remember back in February when we played a hard fought 6-5 win against the Penguins and had to play against a struggling Florida team at home the next day. I thought for sure Laviolette would start Boucher but Bryz was still in net, it wasn't until we were down 4-0 he put Boosh in but I didn't understand why he didn't just give Bryz the day off in the first place. I know we had that ridiculous 3 goalie rotation in the 2011 playoffs but come on, wtf did we get Steve Mason for? Give Bryz a break already, season might be over anyway may as well see what Mason's got before the offseason.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:28 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
How can you chalk a goalie's horrendous effort in the biggest game of the season coming off 4 wins up to "exhaustion" and "frustration"?!?

There's absolutely no excuse here. There should've been nothing but happy thoughts floating around in Bryz's head. He's played like crap for the most part recently and the team got him Ws. Please I beg of you, just stop trying to make excuses for this guy, he's done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
The "tired" excuse is a piss poor excuse. Lundqvist has also played almost every game (32 GP vs bryz's 35 GP) and stood on his head tonight on the 2nd game of a back to back when he had a tough game the day before (and he said in his post-game that he's tired. Didn't stop him from playing a great game). Brodeur has multiple seasons where he's played in 77+ / 82 games. And there was once a time long long ago when there was no such thing as a backup goalie. And the 4th goal he allowed vs the jets.. yeah, that wasn't because he was tired, it was because he didn't give a **** and didn't put any effort into making the save.

Also, I think mason's already signed an extension w/ the flyers, so you're stuck with him for another season no matter what.

This whole thing's also turning into a circus. The owner throws the GM under the bus for the signing, and Mason more or less threw bryz under the bus in his interview.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Belfour shouldn't be in that comparision because NHL in early 90's was much different. Goalie didn't start putting up big Sv Pct numbers until mid 90's/late 90's
You could put Andy Moog in that category too. He came into the league in 1980 and retired in 1998. His first 3 years in the league they didn't even record saves or save percentages.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:23 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
What were the numbers yest , 4.00 GAA and .750 svptg ?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Bryz has to come up with that 4th goal, no doubt.

that said, that wasn't the goal of difference.

it's easier around here to just blame the goalie for the 23rd year in a row, instead of calling out our "heros" for ceasing to compete after the 1st, missing so many chances & nets, not picking up the goal scorer on goal #1 [Harts / Simmer] & getting us into that 1-3 hole as quickly as they did

its easier to put all the blame on goal #4 in a 4-1 loss .....

i didn't see a different team in the 3rd in front of 35, did you ?
shouldn't they all have had the renewed sense of confidence & just blown the Jets away after switching goalies ?

you just knew it was gonna be a miracle if they had scored a 2nd goal.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:58 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

There is zero reason for Mason not to get the start Tuesday.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:09 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
There is zero reason for Mason not to get the start Tuesday.
Yes, I will be disappointed if they do not...

Old
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
The "tired" excuse is a piss poor excuse. Lundqvist has also played almost every game (32 GP vs bryz's 35 GP) and stood on his head tonight on the 2nd game of a back to back when he had a tough game the day before (and he said in his post-game that he's tired. Didn't stop him from playing a great game). Brodeur has multiple seasons where he's played in 77+ / 82 games. And there was once a time long long ago when there was no such thing as a backup goalie. And the 4th goal he allowed vs the jets.. yeah, that wasn't because he was tired, it was because he didn't give a **** and didn't put any effort into making the save..
Agree its a weak excuse

Irbe at 5'8 and at risk for dehydration/weight loss played 77 games for the Canes one year (Believe he played 70+ a few times).

His backups were terrible Moss , Fichaud , etc and he still put up respectable numbers and guided some poor hurricane teams to playoffs

Old
04-07-2013, 10:49 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Bryz has to come up with that 4th goal, no doubt.

that said, that wasn't the goal of difference.

it's easier around here to just blame the goalie for the 23rd year in a row, instead of calling out our "heros" for ceasing to compete after the 1st, missing so many chances & nets, not picking up the goal scorer on goal #1 [Harts / Simmer] & getting us into that 1-3 hole as quickly as they did

its easier to put all the blame on goal #4 in a 4-1 loss .....

i didn't see a different team in the 3rd in front of 35, did you ?
shouldn't they all have had the renewed sense of confidence & just blown the Jets away after switching goalies ?

you just knew it was gonna be a miracle if they had scored a 2nd goal.
Dude.. is there anything Bryz could do that would make you change your opinion? I'm genuinely curious, you defend him no matter what.

It's more than whether the goal was entirely his fault, or if the goal mattered in the end. It hurts his confidence, and it sure as hell hurts the little to no confidence the team already has in him. Look at the number of penalties our veterans on defense are taking (kimmo and coburn), mostly because they don't trust Bryz to make a save.. ever. When you can't be confident your goalie will keep you in a game, it's hard to play a motivated and confident game at all.

Closed Thread