HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2013, 07:06 PM
  #426
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 483
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SUzVd57GI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNpYL9lRtSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjWIMGwn48

kings get run just as much as everyone else.

gratefulyours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:07 PM
  #427
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
yes dressing tough guys keeps your stars safe.

cept for

lupul in toronto
neal / crosby / malking in pits
andy mac / tarrasanko in st louis
briere in philly.

those teams need to get some tough guys
See my above post where it says Atlantic- north east is a war zone.. Unless u doesn't know that those teams play in those divisions?

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
  #428
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
The big physical teams won the last two years. One of those years went to a game 7 final. The Blackhawks weren't a big physical team. Pittsburgh had some physical players, but they weren't bullies. Detroit wasn't a big physical team. Carolina wasn't all that physical. Tampa Bay wasn't all that physical.

Physical teams don't always win against soft teams. People shouldn't state it like its a fact.

Edit - and the Ducks aren't exactly "soft" in my opinion. Getzlaf hammering the other teams' top defenders 20 minutes per game vs the Kings 4th line doing it for 5 minutes per game evens out in a 7 game series in some ways. Winnik isn't soft. Etem isn't soft. Ryan isn't soft on the days he shows up.
For a ducks team? Ya we are soft.. Just a personal opinion.. Hasn't been this bad since Kariya's injury..

Why don't we post that YouTube and response while we are at it..

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
  #429
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
For a ducks team? Ya we are soft.. Just a personal opinion.. Hasn't been this bad since Kariya's injury..

Why don't we post that YouTube and response while we are at it..
For a Ducks team, yes. For an NHL team, I'd say middle of the road. The entire top line is the opposite of soft (assuming Bobby shows up at the rink).

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:19 PM
  #430
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRagingBolshevik View Post
What a waste of time this thread has become. Good luck to those who remain.

Toughness, Parros! Staubitz! Enforcers! Everything else sucks! Whoohoo!

Jeesh.
Eenok's cousin?

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:28 PM
  #431
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
For a Ducks team, yes. For an NHL team, I'd say middle of the road. The entire top line is the opposite of soft (assuming Bobby shows up at the rink).
I was going to agree with u for a second there but I have started sipping on a stiff nigroni...

Are we really in the middle? Although I'm not really concerned with how we fair against the east.. The west has certainly beefed up...

If Vancouver has changed how they do things u know there is a problem playing the skilled game

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:32 PM
  #432
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
See my above post where it says Atlantic- north east is a war zone.. Unless u doesn't know that those teams play in those divisions?
i do know thanks.

i also know they have played the entire east coast not just their divisions.

i also know that st louis is central and in the west, which you ignore.

i also know the kings are in the pacific in the west and despite your says so, there is video proof that they do have the players get hit / run.

i also know that having tough guys / fighters have done nothing to keep their stars any safer than other teams.

gratefulyours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
  #433
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
i do know thanks.

i also know they have played the entire east coast not just their divisions.

i also know that st louis is central and in the west, which you ignore.

i also know the kings are in the pacific in the west and despite your says so, there is video proof that they do have the players get hit / run.

i also know that having tough guys / fighters have done nothing to keep their stars any safer than other teams.

I admit I did ignore most of your post because it sounded like you were trying to void my argument with 4 incidents that happened in the west. Throwing the kings in your argument is funny... Without even wasting my time looking for the stats to back it up (which I never do) I can tell you that the kings have lost zero man games(forwards) this year/playoffs and maybe even last year to the other team hitting them.

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:50 PM
  #434
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne
 
gratefulyours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Oakland
Country: United States
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
I admit I did ignore most of your post because it sounded like you were trying to void my argument with 4 incidents that happened in the west. Throwing the kings in your argument is funny... Without even wasting my time looking for the stats to back it up (which I never do) I can tell you that the kings have lost zero man games(forwards) this year/playoffs and maybe even last year to the other team hitting them.
no game loss injuries does not mean they never get hit or run. they just haven't had an injury because of it.

i posted three links i found in 5 mins of looking showing kings getting run. but keep ignoring whatever you want to make your argument work for you.

i haven't avoided your argument. you offer nothing to back up your point that we need to change how we play, to add fighters to our line up, to keep up the teams success. just another record, toughness wins toughness wins, we can't win. at least the fenwik records had stats to back up their argument.

enjoy hating the team for the rest of this year. most likely you will hate the team for the next 3 or so since it is not going to change anytime soon. i will continue to enjoy the wins and the excellent season were having.

gratefulyours is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
  #435
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,977
vCash: 500
I'll admit that I wasn't watching the game closely, but was Kopitar lying limp on the ice today because he caught a cold?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:01 PM
  #436
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'll admit that I wasn't watching the game closely, but was Kopitar lying limp on the ice today because he caught a cold?
Are you implying the play where his own captain got him with a high stick, shows how their stars are "hit" as well?

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  #437
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
Are you implying the play where his own captain got him with a high stick, shows how their stars are "hit" as well?
Is that what happened?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  #438
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Is that what happened?
Yeah...and what was even funnier was brown started arguing for a penalty against the oilers....too funny

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  #439
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
no game loss injuries does not mean they never get hit or run. they just haven't had an injury because of it.

i posted three links i found in 5 mins of looking showing kings getting run. but keep ignoring whatever you want to make your argument work for you.

i haven't avoided your argument. you offer nothing to back up your point that we need to change how we play, to add fighters to our line up, to keep up the teams success. just another record, toughness wins toughness wins, we can't win. at least the fenwik records had stats to back up their argument.

enjoy hating the team for the rest of this year. most likely you will hate the team for the next 3 or so since it is not going to change anytime soon. i will continue to enjoy the wins and the excellent season were having.
How does a handful hits in thousands of hours of kings hockey validate your opinion? Hits are going to happen.. It's the injuries, man games lost and star players sitting in the box, and getting abused physically game in and game out is what I'm concerned with...

Keep hating on the team? Lol.. U must have missed the coin I'm dropping on them... No I very much like the team, your in a ducks toughness thread and I'm a long time fan and they've pretty much have always been tough, so you will have to excuse me if I'm a little uncomfortable with our 20 yr olds getting F'd with

DaDucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
  #440
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,641
vCash: 500
This is not a middle of the road team as far as toughness. We are bottom 5 in the league in terms of toughness IMO. Our 4th line usually consists of 3 of Beleskey-Bonino/Steckel-Dvorak/Etem/Staubitz (very rarely does Brad play). That is not a tough 4th line at all. The only line that is remotely tough is the RPG line, and they shouldn't have to be the one's doing the hitting.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:14 PM
  #441
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Deterrent from who? That's my point. The few fighters in the West are guys like Brown, Tootoo and Konopka. Guys that are Belesky's size.
Don't go there because your argument is simply stupid.

Tie Domi was 5'10 and one of the toughest guys in the league. Brown, Tootoo and Konopka are not heavyweights, they are middleweights. Selanne is the size of those guys, does that make him a tough guy? That's just stupid.

Steve McKenna was what 6'7 and still sucked as a tough guy, Antti Aalto was 6'3 and softer than butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
The comparisons to the 06-07 team needs to stop. That was a different team, a different coach just a different time. That was how that group of players needed to play. This group doesn't. Clearly. If we were in the middle of the pack fighting for a playoff spot I might agree with you. But we're one of the best teams and it's because of the way we play and the players we have. I think that's what has been holding this team back the last few years is them trying to emulate the 06-07 team. They're doing pretty fine being the team they are right now.
You're 100% missing the point.

This team could be even better if they had more toughness. Like I said, nobody's calling for full goon squad, some people (like me) just would like to see players play the game harder AND with more truculence (yeah, quoting Brian Burke).

What you seem to totally miss is that Ducks could play more physical without being any worse.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
  #442
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
This is not a middle of the road team as far as toughness. We are bottom 5 in the league in terms of toughness IMO. Our 4th line usually consists of 3 of Beleskey-Bonino/Steckel-Dvorak/Etem/Staubitz (very rarely does Brad play). That is not a tough 4th line at all. The only line that is remotely tough is the RPG line, and they shouldn't have to be the one's doing the hitting.
It doesn't matter if they should be the ones hitting, their history is that they ARE the ones hitting. They're probably the top physical 1st line in the west. I'd say Getzlaf is indisputably the hardest hitting 1C in the west, and probably in the entire league. Toughness means a lot more than having guided missile goons on the 4th line.

Out of curiosity, how would you rank all 15 Western Conference teams in toughness?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
  #443
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Why do some of you guys even bother to be fans of this team? You're never happy with anything the team does.
Who the **** are you to call out people who criticize the Ducks?

Where the **** were you in the 90's when this team sucked ass?

Don't you dare come telling people who have followed this team much longer than you what to say here.

Back in the 90's Ducks were soft as hell, it took Selanne and Kariya demanding management to get tougher because they got physically abused every night, that's why Ducks got McKenzie and Grimson to protect our better players.

I hate you god damn newbie fans.

I'm happy with the team, I was riding a LSD type of trip during the 07 playoffs but also I have the right to speak out about the shortcomings of the current team. Just because they are currently 3rd in the league doesn't mean there are no holes in the game.

Sheesh!

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:43 PM
  #444
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,299
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I'll admit that I wasn't watching the game closely, but was Kopitar lying limp on the ice today because he caught a cold?
That was pretty weak from Kopitar. He got smacked by Brown, but there was just no need for him to be on the ice that long, except to draw a call.

__________________
"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice" -- Polonius
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:07 PM
  #445
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,246
vCash: 500
Guys, let's dial it back - things are getting a little too personal.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
  #446
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,404
vCash: 500
Eddie, I apologize, I got too emotional there. Nothing personal.

I just hope that Ducks will play with more fire & energy, the way the have played lately just screams first round exit to me.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
  #447
Ducks DVM
Moderator
There is no grunion
 
Ducks DVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,246
vCash: 500
I honestly feel some of the recent play is fatigue/illness/undisclosed injuries. Winnik hasn't been throwing his body around as much or nearly as fast since he got stapled to the boards a few games ago, Fowler has been completely off, Perry looks like he's skating in molasses.

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:17 PM
  #448
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
Eddie, I apologize, I got too emotional there. Nothing personal.

I just hope that Ducks will play with more fire & energy, the way the have played lately just screams first round exit to me.
Apology accepted. You weren't who I was addressing.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
  #449
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I honestly feel some of the recent play is fatigue/illness/undisclosed injuries. Winnik hasn't been throwing his body around as much or nearly as fast since he got stapled to the boards a few games ago, Fowler has been completely off, Perry looks like he's skating in molasses.
Based on what's been said publicly I've never seen any team pass an illness around for as long as these guys have been taking turns getting the flu. Flu shots are only $25. Can't we afford them since re-signing Perry and Getz.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
  #450
Papaspud
Bring on...
 
Papaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the ketchup!!
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I honestly feel some of the recent play is fatigue/illness/undisclosed injuries. Winnik hasn't been throwing his body around as much or nearly as fast since he got stapled to the boards a few games ago, Fowler has been completely off, Perry looks like he's skating in molasses.
Every player who has taken a high hit from an opposing team has looked "off". Fowler's game has been uncharacteristic from him since coming back from the stoll hit. Palmieri? Torres softened his melon, but thornton with his blindside elbow caused the problems we're just now seeing. He hasn't been the same since those 2 hits. Winnik has looked tentative and sluggish since that shoulder to jaw hit during Wednesday's stars game.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.