Nathan Mackinnon 53 53.54%
Seth Jones 25 25.25%
Other (Drouin, Barkov, etc.) 21 21.21%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2013, 08:05 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
I think of Hedman sometimes when I think of defensemen bordering on the first overall. Regardless if its a forward or defensemen i think there's a certain level of development

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Why2Jay

vCash: 500
I'm a lifelong Flames fan who's been living in Edmonton through there complete rebuild and while I think they have an incredibly tallented team, they are missing that great defenceman. I'm all for taking Seth if we get that chance. I think we would be stupid not too. Defenceman do take longer to develop, so I believe we would have a high pick again next year to finally get that centerman we have been waiting for. By that time hopefully Jank has developed and matured enough that we come back in year 3 with a solid all around team. That's how it works in my dream anyways.

Why2Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Why2Jay

Actually I should add that within that timespan I would hope that a few of our prospects have matured enough to crack our roster. I think we have a few gems in the bunch that are capable of surprising.

Why2Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Mac with 4 primary assists tonight!

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:06 AM
mdexm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why2Jay View Post
I'm a lifelong Flames fan who's been living in Edmonton through there complete rebuild and while I think they have an incredibly tallented team, they are missing that great defenceman. I'm all for taking Seth if we get that chance. I think we would be stupid not too. Defenceman do take longer to develop, so I believe we would have a high pick again next year to finally get that centerman we have been waiting for. By that time hopefully Jank has developed and matured enough that we come back in year 3 with a solid all around team. That's how it works in my dream anyways.
Seth Jones is probably the most NHL-ready player in the whole pack. He's got a big frame and is considered very developed on the mental game.

That said, a franchise defenceman is not going to have the same long-term impact for this Flames team as a franchise center will. The Flames should do everything in their power to try and acquire the player that will carry our offense in the next era, since it's such a rare opportunity for them to be in a position to do so. Just look at the last decade, it was no secret that we were perpetually on the market for a Jarome Iginla center. In that timespan we grabbed some solid defense through free agency, and developed a couple top 4 through the draft via mid picks (even if we dumped Phaneuf for nothing).

There is a great opportunity to fill that elusive top line center position through MacKinnon and Drouin. I think the Flames are better than their record shows, a healthy Backlund and the addition of Baertschi with top 6 minutes next year could jog our position a bit. I'm not saying they'll be a playoff team, but they could rise back to the fringe with Jones added, and that would carry a lot of questions in the center position again.

mdexm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Kranix

Is there anything to the fact that Jones is a late 1994, and his peers were drafted last year? He's been 18 this whole season. Where would he have been ranked in last years draft?

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Is there anything to the fact that Jones is a late 1994, and his peers were drafted last year? He's been 18 this whole season. Where would he have been ranked in last years draft?
First overall according to many.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

If we have the chance, I think Feaster is going to take Mac. The Avs look just as bad as us and they need a top dman more than a center, so I think they take Jones. Based on how Feaster went after ROR and what he was prepared to give up to get him, I think that shows that his top priority is to get that big center with size, Mac and Barkov are that type of player.

That's my guess as to what's going to happen based on Feaster's passed actions.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Kranix

Colorado could have had Jones and Mackinnon

Kranix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:39 AM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
I read on the main board someone said that Feaster was high on Lindholm. I'm just curious if this is true? Did feaster say that?
He is a good play but if we have a top 3 pick I don't want to see us drafting him.. I can see it happening though

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflames View Post
I read on the main board someone said that Feaster was high on Lindholm. I'm just curious if this is true? Did feaster say that?
He is a good play but if we have a top 3 pick I don't want to see us drafting him.. I can see it happening though
I believe it was actually Weisbrod but either way our management is high on Lindholm and I wouldn't be surprised to see them move back and take him. I would probably jump off a bridge if MacKinnon was still available though.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
I believe it was actually Weisbrod but either way our management is high on Lindholm and I wouldn't be surprised to see them move back and take him. I would probably jump off a bridge if MacKinnon was still available though.
Or Barkov, or Drouin.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Backlund

Quote:
I would've taken him before Yakupov but after Galchenyuk. Likely a top 2/3 pick but definitely top 5. My rankings would be:

Galchenyuk
Jones
Yakupov
Murray
Rielly

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Thank God that didn't happen!

As Lando Calrissian once said, "That was too close!"

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Lifeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBartschi27 View Post
Yeah seems good but id probably take BPA with a center with our top 5 pick aswell. Mackinnon,Barkov either one is fine with me. As for the other 2 take bpa and likely one will be a D im hoping Hagg,Morissey, or Pulock. Adam Erne seems quite good wouldnt mind him with our 3rd pick. What were you thinking we pick Satini with? Also wouldnt mind if Feaster packages the two later firsts to trade up to the 10-15 range and guaruntee a Pulock/Shinkaruk/Morissey.
I wouldn't mind seeing us pick Santini with the Pittsburg pick or if we manage to get a second round pick, hopefully without trading down. I always hate when we trade down. That being said Pulock would be nice but I'm a bit iffy on Morissey, I think I read something about him being very questionable defensively.

Also I keep hearing that Mackinnon is a physical centermen but if I recall he is something like 6' 0". So for anyone who has watched him extensively, is he just a player who won't shy away from corners or is being physical his main style of play?

Lifeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
You're assuming Calgary would've been this bad; that they would've traded Iginla and Bouwmeester, and that Kipper wouldn't break his brain.

That pick for ROR might have just as easily been 16th-ish.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

With how bad Colorado has been, slim chance the Flames finish last. And it's highly unlikely the Avalanche pass on Jones - their defense is horrific. Thus, barring anything changing via the lottery, the Flames should finish 2nd or 3rd overall and have their choice of Drouin, Barkov and MacKinnon.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM
herashak

edit: nvm

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
With how bad Colorado has been, slim chance the Flames finish last. And it's highly unlikely the Avalanche pass on Jones - their defense is horrific. Thus, barring anything changing via the lottery, the Flames should finish 2nd or 3rd overall and have their choice of Drouin, Barkov and MacKinnon.
Im really hoping for this. I will not be happy if Feaster passes on getting this team its badly needed franchise center.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:44 AM
herashak

we will be in contention for that #1 centre next year aswell. so i dont mind jones

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Hayward34

Honestly I think the opposite. If you look at Edmonton, they drafted the best player in the drafts and now are stuck with no defensemen (Besides Shultz) and no goalie prospects. With the Flames having no future in the middle besides Backlund who could very well fall, I think they should draft Mackinnon

Hayward34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward34 View Post
Honestly I think the opposite. If you look at Edmonton, they drafted the best player in the drafts and now are stuck with no defensemen (Besides Shultz) and no goalie prospects. With the Flames having no future in the middle besides Backlund who could very well fall, I think they should draft Mackinnon
Why does Edmonton need another goalie Dubynk is only 26 years old.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
AfricanHerbsman

I think we should keep all our picks if we can't trade up and get 2 top 5 picks. Something like Mac, Erne and miller? Maybe hagg if he falls doubt it though. I really think Erne on right wing would be a huge pick up for the flames. Sven Mac Erne........ Deadly

AfricanHerbsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

vCash: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward34 View Post
Flames have no real future anywhere outside of Baertschi. We need help down the middle, on the wings, and on defence.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote