HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
25get

vCash: 500
Eller is progressing year after year.
He gained some weight last summer and is game has clearly improved.

SCap is good. And will be RFA after next season.

Just getting out of a slump (2 points in 9 games prior to last game).

He is 61st in points among centers in the league.
So this makes him a very good third line center as far as offense is concerned.
His defense is certainly top-6.

But the most important: he is a two-way player who is still progressing at 23 years old.
There is very little missing to see him get 60-70 points.
I am ready to wait and in the mean time, he is certainly not hurting us as a third line center.

In the mean time, we should be very happy to see him get two PP points with his first game on top PP.
Note: he has the same points as Mike Fisher (4.2M SCap) and Steve Ott (2.95M).

Based on numbers ($, points, progression, age, TOI), we must keep Eller.
He is just starting to mature.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
My bet is Eller's gonna be traded this summer.
That's just an impression. My guess is that Bergevin will thing that Habs would be better with DD + Plek + Galchenyuk as centrers + what Eller could bring in a trade. That,s it.
There is no valid reason to trade Eller over Desharnais. Desharnais has only three more points than Eller while Desharnais gets sheltered minutes, better linemates, powerplay time and has played two more games.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
There is no valid reason to trade Eller over Desharnais. Desharnais has only three more points than Eller while Desharnais gets sheltered minutes, better linemates, powerplay time and has played two more games.
No need to worry, Eller won't be traded. There's just no logical reason to do so. Too much depth at centre? Remember 2-3 years ago when the problem was a LACK of depth at the centre position? Now the Habs have one too many and they NEED to trade one. That's just not how good asset management works.

As for as his mistakes and liability on the ice in terms of using his linemates, I'll say this; Karlsson in Ottawa is a prime example of what should be done with young players who are paving their way into the NHL. Two years ago, Karlsson was a -30 and made more defensive errors than MAB (okay, maybe not THAT bad). What did the coach do? He kept playing him. The coaching and management staff wanted him to know that the ONLY WAY TO EVOLVE AS A PLAYER is to make mistakes and learn from them. How did he respond? Scoring 78 points the following season and winning the Norris trophy.

I'm not saying Eller will be up for a Hart trophy at any point in his career, but to say, "Well, he makes mistakes and doesn't use his linemates. Too many C, he's the first to go," that's simply a very poor statement to make. He'll make his mistakes and he'll learn from them, adapt, and become better each season. The defensive side of his game, which I believe is NOT a weakness, will continue to gradually get better. Notice when it's time to back-check, he's the first one to hustle back and even up the odds during an odd-man rush.

This is a case of "why are we even debating this?" Eller is a player the Habs will keep, continue to develop and he'll blossom. Will he be a 2nd or 3rd line centre? Does it really matter? Either way, the Habs will have a solid top 9 with Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller, Desharnais all in the mix.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Nedved

Halak/Eller trade

3 years ago we trade our playoff performer Halak, who carried us to the ECF. There was a lot of scepticism around the trade, for an unproven player and whether we got a good deal.

In addition to that, I was one, some people were unsure if moving price could have gotten us a better return, than eller.

Looking today, and going forward, I have to say Eller is an incredible player, and is an excellent center to have on our team. He showed some flashes, but this year has become more consistent and quite a player for the habs.

I have to give my props: probably will go down as one of the best hab trades, along with rivet, that changes the direction of our franchise.

thanks PG.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:04 PM
MJG

Really? I'm happy we made the trade, but it is nowhere close to being as good as the Rivet one.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Really? I'm happy we made the trade, but it is nowhere close to being as good as the Rivet one.
centers are tough to find. so, yes, I would put it in the same category. Drafting Pacioretty has more to do with timmins, and his drafting, because people picked around him are not even close to his skills outside perron.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:18 PM
icerocket

This is pretty much the best we will see DD at. Eller has soooo much more to give. Trading Eller over DD would be a terrible mistake.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:26 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
centers are tough to find. so, yes, I would put it in the same category. Drafting Pacioretty has more to do with timmins, and his drafting, because people picked around him are not even close to his skills outside perron.
Centers might be tough to find, but so are goalies. Just ask Tampa or Philly. The difference between the two trades is that Rivet was an unrestricted free agent and didn't re-sign in San Jose. And he was playing in the minors a few years later. Halak was a young goaltender with talent and upside. He is still a top 15 (??) goalie when healthy. Again, I love Lars, check my avy. But to compare the two trades is foolish. You need to stop only looking at it from our perspective. Two teams are involved in the trade.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:27 PM
pine*

Quote:
Centers might be tough to find, but so are goalies. Just ask Tampa or Philly. The difference between the two trades is that Rivet was an unrestricted free agent and didn't re-sign in San Jose. And he was playing in the minors a few years later. Halak was a young goaltender with talent and upside. He is still a top 15 (??) goalie when healthy. Again, I love Lars, check my avy. But to compare the two trades is foolish. You need to stop only looking at it from our perspective. Two teams are involved in the trade.
When pigs fly.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
When pigs fly.
You're right. Greatest trade in Habs history.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:34 PM
pine*

Quote:
You're right. Greatest trade in Habs history.
Rivet for 1st + Gorges was better.

And yeah, just check out the log for this year.

2013/04/05 Groin, sidelined indefinitely.
2013/04/04 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2013/02/20 Missed 1 game (strained groin).
2013/02/19 Strained groin, day-to-day.
2013/02/17 Missed 2 games (strained groin).
2013/02/13 Strained groin, day-to-day.
2013/02/10 Missed 3 games (lower body injury).
2013/02/03 Lower body injury, injured reserve.

And what about the year before you say?

2012/05/06 Missed the last 7 playoff games (lower body injury).
2012/04/16 Lower body injury, day-to-day.
2012/02/22 Missed 2 games (flu).
2012/02/18 Flu, day-to-day.
2011/03/09 Missed 11 games (right hand injury).
2011/03/08 Right hand injury, day-to-day.
2011/02/17 Right hand injury, injured reserve.
2011/02/08 Missed 2 games (upper body injury).
2011/02/04 Upper body injury, day-to-day.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

St Louis fans are getting sick of Halak's injury and inconsistency. The same thing most "pro-Price*" fans were knocking him for during his entire Habs career - He can't carry a team.

*Incl. me

Old
04-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Moroccan

Eller was a steal for the Habs.
Young, mad skills, 2 way player, low salary cap etc.
It would be a ********* huge mistake to trade him, even for a 1st rounder NO

Old
04-06-2013, 04:17 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
No need to worry, Eller won't be traded. There's just no logical reason to do so. Too much depth at centre? Remember 2-3 years ago when the problem was a LACK of depth at the centre position? Now the Habs have one too many and they NEED to trade one. That's just not how good asset management works.

As for as his mistakes and liability on the ice in terms of using his linemates, I'll say this; Karlsson in Ottawa is a prime example of what should be done with young players who are paving their way into the NHL. Two years ago, Karlsson was a -30 and made more defensive errors than MAB (okay, maybe not THAT bad). What did the coach do? He kept playing him. The coaching and management staff wanted him to know that the ONLY WAY TO EVOLVE AS A PLAYER is to make mistakes and learn from them. How did he respond? Scoring 78 points the following season and winning the Norris trophy.

I'm not saying Eller will be up for a Hart trophy at any point in his career, but to say, "Well, he makes mistakes and doesn't use his linemates. Too many C, he's the first to go," that's simply a very poor statement to make. He'll make his mistakes and he'll learn from them, adapt, and become better each season. The defensive side of his game, which I believe is NOT a weakness, will continue to gradually get better. Notice when it's time to back-check, he's the first one to hustle back and even up the odds during an odd-man rush.

This is a case of "why are we even debating this?" Eller is a player the Habs will keep, continue to develop and he'll blossom. Will he be a 2nd or 3rd line centre? Does it really matter? Either way, the Habs will have a solid top 9 with Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller, Desharnais all in the mix.
Huuuuge post. This should be quoted after every "trade Lars" post.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
This is pretty much the best we will see DD at. Eller has soooo much more to give. Trading Eller over DD would be a terrible mistake.
Well, we have too many centers and 1 of them will likely have to go. If I can get a top 10 pick for Eller, I would do it.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:22 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Well, we have too many centers and 1 of them will likely have to go. If I can get a top 10 pick for Eller, I would do it.
If I get a top 25 pick for DD, I do it.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:24 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think Pleks would be the one dealt if any, but there's absolutely no rush.

Does appear that both Gally and Eller need to play center to be most effective though.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:25 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Well value wise, maybe. But then you've got 2 top 9 centers in your lineup next year who need to be sheltered. What then? Play pleks and halpern 18 minutes each?

Old
04-06-2013, 04:33 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Well value wise, maybe. But then you've got 2 top 9 centers in your lineup next year who need to be sheltered. What then? Play pleks and halpern 18 minutes each?
I doubt Halpern sticks around, he's 37. Maybe as a tweener 23rd man but then we'll all get sick of him when he hits his wall and we'll all clamor for his head like we did Darche's.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
rockjngo

Eller has so much potential and he needs to fulfill it. Reminds me a bit when Danius Zubrus first traded to Montreal. Size, speed, hands. Eller plays better when he plays a powerforward game.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Halak isn't really having a successful stay in St-Louis. Halak has only played over 50 games once in his career, and he didn't do that great of a job that year.

Rivet got traded and then played another season in SJ. He then signed in Buffalo.
That trade is better for now. However, Eller is currently producing at .5 pts per game. That's with very little PP time, on a third line, with a 19yo rookie and a grinder.
Put him in an offensive role, with better wingers, getting regular PP time, and you'd likely see his production rise. Not to mention, he's also still developing.
So depending where he caps off, it could end up being a better trade.
But for now, the Rivet one is better I agree.

Quote:
So you'd trade Eller away for a pick and hope to draft a player as good as him??
I don't want a pick for Eller, the only way I'd move him is if we get a similarly talented winger.

Otherwise, we can move one of our centers to the wing.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphabs View Post
Erika, I have been reading your posts since your crush on Sergei Kostitsyn. You add so much to these boards. Really. Good to see you again!

Hi cphabs,

I'm always around reading funny posts like ''LePoche69''.

Even though I don't really have the time to post as often as before (that's what a new baby does to you), this board can still be very entertaining

Old
04-06-2013, 07:35 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika View Post
Hi cphabs,

I'm always around reading funny posts like ''LePoche69''.

Even though I don't really have the time to post as often as before (that's what a new baby does to you), this board can still be very entertaining
Congrats!!! Wish you and yours the best!

Old
04-06-2013, 09:38 PM
DLR1970

It would be a foolish mistake to trade Eller over Desharnais.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR1970 View Post
It would be a foolish mistake to trade Eller over Desharnais.
No one is getting traded.

Closed Thread