HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers are earning disinterest of fans

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Agreed, but the writer in question worships basketball.

Got to love those 78-74 snoozefests, where nobody can shoot 40%.
And then to top it all off you get a punk like Sprewell who in a game a couple days before Christmas is cursing at the Knicks CEO sitting in the crowd, never mind there are youngesters to hear it all.

But hey if that's what he worships God bless him.

Old
12-25-2003, 06:43 PM
nezlam

Send a message via AIM to nezlam
Stephen A. Smith is a ass! The problem is the city is half black and those people want nothing to do with hockey!

Old
12-26-2003, 03:47 AM
ctynan44

Send a message via AIM to ctynan44 Send a message via Yahoo to ctynan44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
Man do I ever hear that sentiment. I can't understand people saying watching team x is like watching paint dry. Enjoy your American Idol Christmas special I guess. Maybe they can get a great deal on Kelly Clarkson's new CD.

It can't be said better than that! Hockey is far from boring regardless of what team you're watching.

Old
12-26-2003, 06:27 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Stephen A Smith is a two faced reject. He goes on the air in Philly with one opinion and goes on TNT with another.

He isn't even that knowledgeable about basketball. When he gets called on some of his idiotic statements by members of the local media he refuses to talk to them to explain himself and basically calls them names instead. They become an "enemy".

Having the OPINION that a sport is boring can be said about any sport. It's not insightful, it's OPINION.

Why is a fan base that basically formed in 1995 and can't sell out even in the playoffs talking smack about Philly's fan base anyway? Football is more important right now because they are heading to the playoffs, that is why the interest isn't as big. There aren't too many people who are fans of one sport only. Once football is over the interest will rise for hockey and basketball.

At what point will the interest rise for the Devils? I don't mean by the handful of you who are talking while they are winning, I mean by people in general, you know, the ones who go to their games. This is much ado about nothing by a bunch of front runners. That's not a slam on all Devils fans, you know who you are. It's easy to support a winner, let's hear ya when the lean years come or after they move because of lack of support.

When the Flyers fans lose interest you'll know because you'll be able to hear the Devils fans at their own home games and the place will only be a quarter full. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old
12-26-2003, 03:33 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
Football is more important right now because they are heading to the playoffs, that is why the interest isn't as big .... Once football is over the interest will rise for hockey and basketball.
Agreed it will rise, but it will never, ever, ever match the interest generated by the Eagles. That's Smith's point, it's a simple one, and it's a true one. The Flyers will generate city-wide interest if they can manage to get to the conference finals and people hop onto the bandwagon. Until then all you will continue to hear on WIP is Eagles and some hot stove concerning the Phillies' new-and-improved pitching staff.

Pointing out the paucity of Devils fans doesn't change the Flyers' situation. It may even make Flyers fans look worse by contrast because the problem with Devils fans isn't their loyalty, it's their numbers. The Devils compete with three established team for their fan base: the Rangers and Isles in north Jersey, the Flyers in south Jersey. The Flyers draw their fan base from all of southeastern Pa. and south Jersey, yet they're still looking to sell tickets a few days before games, and they can't get more than 30 minutes of daily talk time on their own city's sports radio station - the same station that carries the team broadcasts for pity's sake!

Quote:
If you're defenition of an "also-ran" is that they are the 2nd most popular sports team in the city, that's pretty much every team in the US.
Well there are pretty much 3 standard definitions of "also-ran":
"1. A horse that does not win, place, or show in a race. 2. A loser in a competition, as in an election: 'had enough support to place him in the middle of the also-rans' (George F. Will). 3. One that has little talent or success: just an also-ran in the art world."

You can take the first if you like, but when only four "horses" are in the running it seems to me a bit soft to say that only the 4th "horse" is an "also-ran." When the field is that small the standard should be somewhat higher, IMO, and it doesn't matter if it applies to one city or to every city. You're first or you're not.

I freely admit that the Blueshirts will always be also-rans in NYC (as they were even in '94). Yet it seems to offend Flyers fans like DanKordicsFist that this might also be the case in Philadelphia.

Quote:
I would say that basketball has suffered are far bigger decling in quality of play and excitement.
That could be. I wasn't watching basketball in that era any more than I watch it now, so you may very well be right. I was really talking more about public perception of the game play. Smith's comments pretty much mirror American attitudes toward hockey, and that's what Bettman needs to correct. Fox's ratings dropped a whopping 48% between '96 and '01. The ratings have hovered at the '01 numbers since. It's true that all sports have taken a ratings hit, but the NHL currently draws a quarter of the NBA's viewership. That's an ugly difference especially when Sports Illustrated hailed hockey as the next NBA - the next sports explosion - in a '94 article which followed the Ranger's Cup victory. Rather than growing the sport has gone exactly the opposite way.

Old
12-26-2003, 05:24 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Agreed it will rise, but it will never, ever, ever match the interest generated by the Eagles. That's Smith's point, it's a simple one, and it's a true one. The Flyers will generate city-wide interest if they can manage to get to the conference finals and people hop onto the bandwagon. Until then all you will continue to hear on WIP is Eagles and some hot stove concerning the Phillies' new-and-improved pitching staff.

Pointing out the paucity of Devils fans doesn't change the Flyers' situation. It may even make Flyers fans look worse by contrast because the problem with Devils fans isn't their loyalty, it's their numbers. The Devils compete with three established team for their fan base: the Rangers and Isles in north Jersey, the Flyers in south Jersey. The Flyers draw their fan base from all of southeastern Pa. and south Jersey, yet they're still looking to sell tickets a few days before games, and they can't get more than 30 minutes of daily talk time on their own city's sports radio station - the same station that carries the team broadcasts for pity's sake!

I freely admit that the Blueshirts will always be also-rans in NYC (as they were even in '94). Yet it seems to offend Flyers fans like DanKordicsFist that this might also be the case in Philadelphia.

Smith's comments pretty much mirror American attitudes toward hockey, and that's what Bettman needs to correct.
I'll touch on a few of YOUR misconceptions here if I may.

If that was all he was trying to say then why is a Devils fan posting this as though it's singular to Philly? To make you feel better about their lack of support?

As I'm sure some of you fans are loyal it remains to be seen what happens when they aren't doing so well. To judge your loyalty now is a bit premature. It's always easy to be "loyal" when you're winning.

Part of the problem with ALL sports right now is ticket prices. There is a lot of support in the city but it can be cost prohibitive to attend games. You're talking about a few hundred tickets out of over nineteen thousand seats.

As far as radio support, it's FOOTBALL season and the Sixers are getting no airplay either. If you actually listened to the radio you would understand that there WILL be plenty of talk about the Flyers and SIxers after the Eagles season is over. Once again this football first attitude is not singular to Philly.

As for offending fans like me, get over yourself. I'm not offended by someone saying the Flyers aren't as popular as the Eagles. I find it funny that Devils fans are looking for solace in something an idiot has to say, especially when you yourself say it's a national disposition.

This is a web site designed for people to comment on topics. If the topic relates to something of interest to me I will comment. If you feel better believing I am offended and that is why I respond, then enjoy. I wanted to point out to a fan base that couldn't be found before 1995 that they are far from being able to be considered "loyal" until they go through the lean times they avoided before 1995. If I'm wrong then that will be seen in time. With such a severe lack of monetary support by the "fans" it may not last long enough though. We'll see.

Old
12-26-2003, 05:51 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
If that was all he was trying to say then why is a Devils fan posting this as though it's singular to Philly? To make you feel better about their lack of support?

I find it funny that Devils fans are looking for solace in something an idiot has to say, especially when you yourself say it's a national disposition.
You haven't been here as an active poster for very long. I'll let you in on a little secret. I post quotes from stories relating to the Devils and their Atlantic rivals all the time. If you actually think this was posted to bring solace to Devils fans (what exactly do we need consoling over exactly?) you're gravely mistaken.

Old
12-27-2003, 01:58 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
You haven't been here as an active poster for very long. I'll let you in on a little secret. I post quotes from stories relating to the Devils and their Atlantic rivals all the time. If you actually think this was posted to bring solace to Devils fans (what exactly do we need consoling over exactly?) you're gravely mistaken.

I did not realize it was merely a post for informational purposes.

I was wrong to think it was posted for any other reason than

for a bit of reading with no emotional response intended or

hoped for.

I guess I was wrong in thinking you needed to find solace in

another teams supposed lack of fan support.

I will now also forget that people are always calling the Devils

boring because

Stephen A. Smith said the game was not boring.

Someday I hope to become like the souless robots that you are.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:13 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:

I did not realize it was merely a post for informational purposes.

I was wrong to think it was posted for any other reason than

for a bit of reading with no emotional response intended or

hoped for.

I guess I was wrong in thinking you needed to find solace in

another teams supposed lack of fan support.

I will now also forget that people are always calling the Devils

boring because

Stephen A. Smith said the game was not boring.

Someday I hope to become like the souless robots that you are.
Dude you sound like your one angry robot.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:20 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Dude you sound like your one angry robot.
Damn! And that was my best souless robot impersonation! Ya got me. Ouch! I am sorry for ever doubting the "loyalty" of such GREAT fans.

Stupidity does make me angry. It's an issue I'll have to learn to deal with. One day I hope to be as unemotional and "well informed" as you. Please give me a chance to change. Do not crush me with your intelligence and wit. End sarcasm.

I have nothing but respect for Lou Lamairello and the Devils organization. The same cannot be said for some of their "fans". Sorry.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:25 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Damn! And that was my best souless robot impersonation! Ya got me. Ouch! I am sorry for ever doubting the "loyalty" of such GREAT fans.

Stupidity does make me angry. It's an issue I'll have to learn to deal with. One day I hope to be as unemotional and "well informed" as you. Please give me a chance to change. Do not crush me with your intelligence and wit. End sarcasm.

I have nothing but respect for Lou Lamairello and the Devils organization. The same cannot be said for some of their "fans". Sorry.
Are you done here?

Old
12-27-2003, 09:37 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Are you done here?
Yes I am. Thank you.

Old
12-28-2003, 07:39 AM
dedalus

Quote:
I'll touch on a few of YOUR misconceptions here if I may.

Ahh, misconceptions. Fun.
1st: Steven Smith's point ("all he was trying to say") has nothing to do with Unthinkable's motives for posting the article, so let's start by trying to keep them separate, shall we?

2nd: Where in his initial post does Unthinkable make it sound as if this issue is "singular to Philly"? Where does anyone in this thread say this is singular to Philly. Even Steven Smith, the guy actually doing the bashing, doesn't say it's singular to Philly, so what in God's name are you on about?

Quote:
Part of the problem with ALL sports right now is ticket prices. There is a lot of support in the city but it can be cost prohibitive to attend games. You're talking about a few hundred tickets out of over nineteen thousand seats.
So your logic is that in a region with several million, a lousy couple hundred can't come up with the scratch to sell out the games despite the supposedly intense loyalty of those same fans? Please.

If the team (or more accurately the sport) was popular, you'd have no problem getting rid of those tickets. We're practically at the halfway point of the season and the team is still trying to get people to buy 5 game plans. Not some single seat availability for games against the likes of the Wild, mind you, but actual plans. And luxury boxes. Have the Eagles EVER had to market luxury boxes? Tickets?

Quote:
As far as radio support, it's FOOTBALL season and the Sixers are getting no airplay either. If you actually listened to the radio you would understand that there WILL be plenty of talk about the Flyers and SIxers after the Eagles season is over.
Thank you for making my point. It's football season. And it's hockey season. And basketball season. Guess which of those three people are talking about? Correct. And with your correct guess you have indicated which sport holds dominance in the city - which is Smith's point and my point.

But let's go a step further: guess which one of those three teams people will be talking about in the summer? Wanna' know WHY it won't be a team in orange-and-black or red-white-and-blue? Because the Flyers and Sixers are also-rans in the city of Philadelphia. Which sport is in season has nothing to do with it. People in Montreal talk about the Habs in baseball season because the Habs are what matter there. Same with the Leafs and Canucks. They talk about those teams because those teams come first (because hockey comes first). In Philadelphia football comes first. Period.

Now since you've already conceded this point to me, I'm assuming we won't need to cover it again.

Quote:
as for offending fans like me, get over yourself. I'm not offended by someone saying the Flyers aren't as popular as the Eagles.
Really? I'd hate to see what you write when you are offended. I mean, casting personal aspersions on the writer of the article in question usually is taken as a sign of anger or offense given. Or do you make it a habit to, without provocation, label people: "two faced rejects" and "idiotic"?

If you think the Devils fans of this thread are nothing more than "front runners," why is it you're only expressing this sentiment now? There have been plenty of threads on this board concerned with the Flyers to which you might have responded, but apparently none of them "related to something of interest" to you. You're saying that your motive for finding THIS thread interesting has nothing to do with being angry over its contents? You just decided for no reason to pop in and start calling people front runners?

And do you generally challenge complete strangers without prior provocation as you did here: "let's hear ya when the lean years come or after they move because of lack of support"?

Or close missives with a taunt: "Enjoy it while it lasts"?

Whew! Let's hope that's it for the misconceptions, but I will add that I liked your apology thread and genuinely thought it standup of you to put that out there.

Last edited by dedalus: 12-28-2003 at 07:42 AM.
Old
12-28-2003, 08:14 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Ahh, misconceptions. Fun.
1st: Steven Smith's point ("all he was trying to say") has nothing to do with Unthinkable's motives for posting the article, so let's start by trying to keep them separate, shall we?

2nd: Where in his initial post does Unthinkable make it sound as if this issue is "singular to Philly"? Where does anyone in this thread say this is singular to Philly. Even Steven Smith, the guy actually doing the bashing, doesn't say it's singular to Philly, so what in God's name are you on about?

So your logic is that in a region with several million, a lousy couple hundred can't come up with the scratch to sell out the games despite the supposedly intense loyalty of those same fans? Please.

If the team (or more accurately the sport) was popular, you'd have no problem getting rid of those tickets. We're practically at the halfway point of the season and the team is still trying to get people to buy 5 game plans. Not some single seat availability for games against the likes of the Wild, mind you, but actual plans. And luxury boxes. Have the Eagles EVER had to market luxury boxes? Tickets?

Thank you for making my point. It's football season. And it's hockey season. And basketball season. Guess which of those three people are talking about? Correct. And with your correct guess you have indicated which sport holds dominance in the city - which is Smith's point and my point.

But let's go a step further: guess which one of those three teams people will be talking about in the summer? Wanna' know WHY it won't be a team in orange-and-black or red-white-and-blue? Because the Flyers and Sixers are also-rans in the city of Philadelphia. Which sport is in season has nothing to do with it. People in Montreal talk about the Habs in baseball season because the Habs are what matter there. Same with the Leafs and Canucks. They talk about those teams because those teams come first (because hockey comes first). In Philadelphia football comes first. Period.

Now since you've already conceded this point to me, I'm assuming we won't need to cover it again.

Really? I'd hate to see what you write when you are offended. I mean, casting personal aspersions on the writer of the article in question usually is taken as a sign of anger or offense given. Or do you make it a habit to, without provocation, label people: "two faced rejects" and "idiotic"?

If you think the Devils fans of this thread are nothing more than "front runners," why is it you're only expressing this sentiment now? There have been plenty of threads on this board concerned with the Flyers to which you might have responded, but apparently none of them "related to something of interest" to you. You're saying that your motive for finding THIS thread interesting has nothing to do with being angry over its contents? You just decided for no reason to pop in and start calling people front runners?

And do you generally challenge complete strangers without prior provocation as you did here: "let's hear ya when the lean years come or after they move because of lack of support"?

Or close missives with a taunt: "Enjoy it while it lasts"?

Whew! Let's hope that's it for the misconceptions, but I will add that I liked your apology thread and genuinely thought it standup of you to put that out there.
Yeah I deserved all that and the apology was sincere. I read the posts feeling a sense of being attacked, my bad. I do generally discuss things more so than piss and moan.

Closed Thread