HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PIT/CAR] Jussi Jokinen to Pittsburgh for cond. 7th; salary retained

Old
04-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Killswitch7187
Winter is here

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcupever75 View Post
I like the top 2 lines.
But, That bottom 6 is super soft for playoff hockey
I disagree, the year we won the Stanley Cup we were rolling something relatively similar. Granted, we had a revolving door on the 4th line around then, but it consisted of Adams and two relatively-skilled players. (Satan/Sykora/Dupuis, or Malkin/Crosby when double-shifted.) The third line is the difference maker here. Dupuis is a underrated in the physical aspect of the game, as he knows how to wear down the other team's defensemen. Sutter may not have the size of Staal, but he's just as physical along the boards when it comes to puck battles. So a 4th line of Kennedy - Jokinen - Adams is definitely acceptable to me.

Killswitch7187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
tony d
The man

Good move for Pittsburgh. Adds scoring depth to the team.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
jameswrjobe53

vCash: 476
Any word on how much salary?

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis - Best line in the world
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal - Jokinen is an opportunist who would thrive here
Morrow-Sutter-Iginla - That would be the toughest line to play against in hockey

That makes more sense. That would be by far the best top 9 I have ever witnessed.
I like your lines a lot. Iginla and Duper would be interchangeable as needed and everyone id still playing the normal positions.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
ManInTheBox
Women Love Candy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswrjobe53 View Post
Any word on how much salary?
A hand full.

ManInTheBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:50 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Capgeek has JJ listed at 2.1 million on Pens roster.

http://www.capgeek.com/penguins

SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

meh, a little more than i wanted him at, but for a very late pick either way it isn't bad (unless he is worse than Kennedy somehow)

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post

Bah I was hoping for half but it's better then nothing. He will basically replace Tyler Kennedy which I doubt Shero plans on bringing back

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Finnpin

Goal
Shootout goal
Faceoffs 87%

Not a bad start.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Abbotsford Heat

Trades like this one bother me.

Not only does Carolina retain salary but they could potentially get no return too, in fact there is a decent chance they essentially pay for him to be gone.

The conditions of this trade (according to this site) are in such a way that Jokinen has to play 25% of the Penguins playoff games AND they must reach the finals of the Penguins give up nothing for him.

Once a player plays a game for the acquiring team it should be guaranteed they give up some form of return, even if it is only a 7th round pick.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Carolina got what they wanted though and that was dumping 2.1 million of cap hit/salary on Pittsburgh next year. The alternative was to keep Jokinen and be stuck with him at 3 million next year or having to buy him out and they didn't want to have to do either of those things. It's why they tried to give him away on waivers a while ago.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Trades like this one bother me.

Not only does Carolina retain salary but they could potentially get no return too, in fact there is a decent chance they essentially pay for him to be gone.

The conditions of this trade (according to this site) are in such a way that Jokinen has to play 25% of the Penguins playoff games AND they must reach the finals of the Penguins give up nothing for him.

Once a player plays a game for the acquiring team it should be guaranteed they give up some form of return, even if it is only a 7th round pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ Carolina got what they wanted though and that was dumping 2.1 million of cap hit/salary on Pittsburgh next year. The alternative was to keep Jokinen and be stuck with him at 3 million next year or having to buy him out and they didn't want to have to do either of those things. It's why they tried to give him away on waivers a while ago.
^^^ this. Carolina obviously found they were better off financially to pay 900k of his salary next year and take almost 0 return, then they were buying him out at 2m. Clearly this is nothing but a salary dump by Rutherford. Which isn't surprising when you think about it. We look at NHL teams and go, well it's only a million or so... that's a great deal. Well for the guys at the bottom, they need to make every dollar count, and they've obviously decided that they were better off paying 900k for someone else to deal with the remainder of his contract, then they were buying him out at 2m, or just paying the full 3m next season.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:13 AM
j44thor

While I don't blame PIT for the trade I do have to wonder what 10 or so GM's were doing while this trade was going down. 2M for a player that is still a 20G scorer and a great faceoff guy doesn't seem like much and there are plenty of teams with the cap room and need for scoring that seemed to be asleep at the wheel.

Why teams keep giving PIT $2.00 for their .50 is beyond me. Do the other GMs think they are getting their name on the cup or perhaps a job in the PIT FO once they get canned???

j44thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:44 AM
bleedgreen

Nobody took him on waivers. They needed to move him without taking a player back. I'm sure if they took Komi TO would've obliged. The canes need room to maneuver next year and jussi had played himself into a position the canes couldn't justify.

We would've preferred larose to the juice. We don't run the team though.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j44thor View Post
While I don't blame PIT for the trade I do have to wonder what 10 or so GM's were doing while this trade was going down. 2M for a player that is still a 20G scorer and a great faceoff guy doesn't seem like much and there are plenty of teams with the cap room and need for scoring that seemed to be asleep at the wheel.

Why teams keep giving PIT $2.00 for their .50 is beyond me. Do the other GMs think they are getting their name on the cup or perhaps a job in the PIT FO once they get canned???
Shero's a god at the trade table, that's why.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Slabber Chops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch7187 View Post
So a 4th line of Kennedy - Jokinen - Adams is definitely acceptable to me.
Is it just me or did Kennedy actually look a whole lot better when paired with Glass and Adams yesterday. And no, I don't mean by the fact that Glass and Adams are that poor, but TK was back to buzz-sawing again.

Slabber Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabber Chops View Post
Is it just me or did Kennedy actually look a whole lot better when paired with Glass and Adams yesterday. And no, I don't mean by the fact that Glass and Adams are that poor, but TK was back to buzz-sawing again.
last night's game, IMO, was probably Kennedy's best game this year. he was clicking on the 4th line. as weird as this sounds, he was the reason the 4th line played well.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Abbotsford Heat

Quote:
I couldn't care less if the Canes are getting what they want. It is not a trade if you are getting no assets in return, it is giving something away.

Abbotsford Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I couldn't care less if the Canes are getting what they want. It is not a trade if you are getting no assets in return, it is giving something away.
They got cap space. That was worth more than picks to them.

Old
04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
They got cap space. That was worth more than picks to them.
Yup. Things are looking tight for the Canes cap-wise next year, they needed Jokinen's cap hit out of the way. That's what the Canes got out of this trade- nothing more, nothing less. The Pens needed a warm body to play center. That's what they got. Everyone is happy.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Quote:
Well, no, because Jokinen was worth nothing to us.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Then lets call it a business arrangement.

Either way, both teams got something they wanted. From a hockey perspective, Pittsburgh obviously much more so. I suppose with Carolina's top 6 looking set right now, Jussi at 3 million was too much of a luxury, especially when not performing, and they needed to shred that salary to be able to plug the holes on D and bottom 6.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Oan

Jokinen with 3+2 +shootout winning goal in 3 games wearing Penguins jersey. Though I'm sure any Carolina fan will tell you that it's just some short lucky streak or something.

Oan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Jokinen with 3+2 +shootout winning goal in 3 games wearing Penguins jersey. Though I'm sure any Carolina fan will tell you that it's just some short lucky streak or something.
He's always been a streaky player. He's certainly been on one of those hot streak since being acquired. I doubt it lasts but it really doesn't have to since he's just a stopgap until Sid can get healthy. Once Sid returns Jussi can fallback into a depth role where he'll only be expected to win draws and provide sporadic offense. It's great that he's providing steady offense with Sid out though. The timing of this hot streak is perfect for the Pens.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:50 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Be careful with the generalizations! I was fully supportive of Jokinen during his time in Carolina. He's an odd player for sure, but his talent has never been in question. It's just that when he's not scoring, he's not doing much for you. This is the same fanbase that watched him put up about 200 points for the good guys. Most of us are aware of how strong he can play when given the proper situation. It's just that he's not quite on that level where you can feel confident with him in your Top 6, but when he doesn't have the supporting cast to compliment his skill he's a bit lost. One of those in between guys that aren't bottom six but aren't quite top six either. But when he runs hot, man is he ever a treat to watch. He does it with such simplicity that it becomes curious when it just disappears.

I am incredibly happy for Jussi and hope that he's able to get the Cup he deserves. Same for Brandon.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote