HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
WakeUpNHL

vCash: 500
Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

At the deadline, Marc Bergevin decided that the habs would stand pat and only made minor dman depth move.

With the habs losing Emelin, we are now short a #4 dman and we will have to start playing our inexperienced young dman big minutes.

This habs team has lots of character and Bergevin has done a fantastic job putting this team together... But should Bergevin have spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a solid #4/ #5 experienced dman for the playoffs?

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
At the deadline, Marc Bergevin decided that the habs would stand pat and only made minor dman depth move.

With the habs losing Emelin, we are now short a #4 dman and we will have to start playing our inexperienced young dman big minutes.

This habs team has lots of character and Bergevin has done a fantastic job putting this team together... But should Bergevin have spent a 2nd or 3rd round pick to get a solid #4/ #5 experienced dman for the playoffs?
He picked up Drewskie.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He picked up Drewskie.
And in picking up Drewiski, he practically foresaw a defenceman getting hurt. He could barely have done a better move, in fact.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

if we're looking to point out mistakes... not signing Subban to a multi-year contract in the ~5M$ range was/is his biggest mistake thus far.

deciding not to pay massive trade deadline premiums for average players was a stroke of genius

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

''Only a minor dman depth move'' is basically whats saving us right now. Very good pickup by Bergevin. He actually had a terrific deadline - did not give up anything, helped the team tremendously. Thats what he's done all season long actually by pickup up Halpern, trading for Ryder and then Drewiske (who's a decent no5-6).

Sure he could have picked up a no4 d-man but in the process give up too much and possibly mess team chemistry. We can replace Emelin on a short period from inside the org.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He picked up Drewskie.
I applauded this move...like it lot... a dman depth move. However, Wiskey is now going to be playing 20 minutes a game? Something he has never done in the NHL before.

I was thinking someone like Robin Regher... a solid experienced D.

Our defence is now going to be severely tested. I hope someone like Tinordi or Drewiski or Beaulieu breaks out and starts playing qaulity minutes.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
How was it is fault that he couldn't predict the future?

And secondly, he made very smart, careful decision to acquire Whiskey.

Lars The GOAT Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:21 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Let's not forget picking up Halpern and Ryder and a 3rd round pick for the price of Cole.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
How was it is fault that he couldn't predict the future?

And secondly, he made very smart, careful decision to acquire Whiskey.
I hate that argument. You are suppose to have enough cover to make up for an injury or two.... Diaz was already out and is CONCUSSED so he could of easily forseen that we would be in trouble if we lost someone.

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
I hate that argument. You are suppose to have enough cover to make up for an injury or two.... Diaz was already out and is CONCUSSED so he could of easily forseen that we would be in trouble if we lost someone.
Tinordi is ready.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
And in picking up Drewiski, he practically foresaw a defenceman getting hurt. He could barely have done a better move, in fact.
I hope they scouted Drewiski well, and he turns out to be a Gorges type dman... then Bergevin will look like a freaking genius!

But I would be less nervous about our defence if we had a Hamrlik type who could absord some quality dman time.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tinordi is ready.
Not sure he is ready for the playoffs .. especially not to replace Emelin!

It would have been nice to get someone with NHL experience.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
"He didn't make any trades!"

Wrong.

He picked up Ryder AND a 3rd for Cole. Ryder scored the GWG tonight, by the way.

He picked up Halpern for nothing. Team has been next to perfect on the PK, allowing just one goal against during his return.

Drewiske for a 5th? With Emelin down, this trade shows it's worth.

Bourque and Diaz will return soon too, becoming big "acquisitions" if you will.

Marc has done stellar. Perhaps re-signing Cube might be a head scratcher but in that time, guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi can slow-cook in the oven that is the AHL until they are ready -- either middle of next seasons or the one after.

I think we get a better look once the season and playoffs are done. Who does he sign? For how much? Does he bring back Ryder? Extensions?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
I applauded this move...like it lot... a dman depth move. However, Wiskey is now going to be playing 20 minutes a game? Something he has never done in the NHL before.

I was thinking someone like Robin Regher... a solid experienced D.

Our defence is now going to be severely tested. I hope someone like Tinordi or Drewiski or Beaulieu breaks out and starts playing qaulity minutes.
1- DD was playing for the Kings, NHL's team with the most depth on D. He's more than potent to play 20min a game.

2- Regher is old. If I have the choice I much prefer the DD's value over Regher's.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:27 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Tinordi is ready.
I don't think Tinordi is ready, especially in the playoff.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
"He didn't make any trades!"

Wrong.

He picked up Ryder AND a 3rd for Cole. Ryder scored the GWG tonight, by the way.

He picked up Halpern for nothing. Team has been next to perfect on the PK, allowing just one goal against during his return.

Drewiske for a 5th? With Emelin down, this trade shows it's worth.

Bourque and Diaz will return soon too, becoming big "acquisitions" if you will.

Marc has done stellar. Perhaps re-signing Cube might be a head scratcher but in that time, guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi can slow-cook in the oven that is the AHL until they are ready -- either middle of next seasons or the one after.

I think we get a better look once the season and playoffs are done. Who does he sign? For how much? Does he bring back Ryder? Extensions?
Everybody knows the poster meant he didn't do any trades at the deadline and not in general ...

Drewiske for a 5th ..nobody really has a problem with that but I think people also wanted a pick-up of a more NHL experienced defenseman that can eat up minutes in case a guy like Gorges or Emelin gets injured. Now we have to count on Drewiske, Bouillon and a rookie in the lineup if Diaz doesn't recover or doesn't play like how he was playing before.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:31 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if we're looking to point out mistakes... not signing Subban to a multi-year contract in the ~5M$ range was/is his biggest mistake thus far.

deciding not to pay massive trade deadline premiums for average players was a stroke of genius
I think the Desharnais 4 year contract was a hasty move and possibly another mistake by Bergevin... but there is another thread to discuss that one.

As far as massive premiums, I am speaking of a third, maybe a second round pick... The East is wide open this year and if you have a decent chance to get to a Stanley Cup final you should be a little more aggressive in protecting your defensive depth.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:33 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Drewiske can replace emelin's minutes competently even if they aren't the same kind of Dman. Whoever we call up and boullion will be fine on the 3rd pairing.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Traitor8

Quote:
I think the Desharnais 4 year contract was a hasty move and possibly another mistake by Bergevin... but there is another thread to discuss that one.

As far as massive premiums, I am speaking of a third, maybe a second round pick... The East is wide open this year and if you have a decent chance to get to a Stanley Cup final you should be a little more aggressive in protecting your defensive depth.
Agree with Desharnais. I however feel that the cap hit is not that bad that he could be tradeable but it was definetly a rushed move ...Desharnais is RFA, there was no need to do that ..

I just don't get why we didn't get Torres for a 3rd round pick. It would have helped our depth, speed, PK and physicality and of course pick up also an experienced NHL defenseman.

I could see Bergevin going after Torres this summer.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:35 AM
yianik

We needed to have 7 NHL experienced D-men on a healthy D, with the 6-7th guy being able to play a good defensive game and having some size, and that is what he got us. I assume Diaz coming back by play-offs was a realistic belief. Sure he could have gotten a top 4 guy and paid through the nose, just in case, but then you could argue he should have picked up a top 6 center and wing, just in case. MB made the right call in picking up Whiskey for a 5th.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:36 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Sure it's scary if we start loosing more D-man. *knock on wood* But you guys are making this a way bigger case than it actually is. Emelin out just means more TOI for guys like Subban and Gorges which is not a problem for me. Diaz might be close to a comeback to. As for options, Tinordi wouldn't be a bad no6 till Emelin comes back.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:37 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Meh. We have other D who barely play as depth. We have 3 younger guys in Hamilton who got a look and Diaz on sidelines who may return this year. No issue yet.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

This times x100

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MJG

Did I miss the tweets that said Emelin would be out for months? What's the news?

MJG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Tinordi is ready.
Agreed.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote