HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2013, 11:47 PM
  #826
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I guess I'm just not confident enough in Brass right now to be able to fulfill that 2nd line role. We'll see, but his overall body of work so far hasn't shown he is good enough to be a consistent second line center.

I know he is still relatively young, but he isn't exactly a rookie at 25.
He's also been in an organization that has had countless GM and head coaching changes. That screws up a young player's development.

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-06-2013, 11:53 PM
  #827
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I've always liked him in my limited viewings when he was a Blue Jacket and, not unlike MZA, he's been a difference maker since he joined the team. Going by my own eye test, I think he's already an excellent 2C. It's one of the reasons the team has looked so good since the trade - all of a sudden we have 1Cs on both of our first two lines and a 2C on our third. I think he may even still have upside beyond that. Notice how much more time we've spent in the offensive zone and how many more quality scoring chances we've had? Very hard to match up against.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
He's also been in an organization that has had countless GM and head coaching changes. That screws up a young player's development.
I understand both points you guys are making. I agree we have looked much better since we've gotten Brass and for the reasons you've mentioned. It's only been three games though, three games won't erase five seasons worth of hockey with the blue jackets.

He certainly has the potential, hopefully in a new environment and with some structure he can live up to that role. However, to your point BRF, he looks great right now playing behind two other centers. How would he look as the 2nd center and thus going up against stronger competition?

I want to continue to have Brass around, regardless. Hopefully we can sign him to a better contract than what he has now. He can play wing too. However, if this team has to use Brass as the second line center, I don't think we are a contender.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 12:21 AM
  #828
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I understand both points you guys are making. I agree we have looked much better since we've gotten Brass and for the reasons you've mentioned. It's only been three games though, three games won't erase five seasons worth of hockey with the blue jackets.

He certainly has the potential, hopefully in a new environment and with some structure he can live up to that role. However, to your point BRF, he looks great right now playing behind two other centers. How would he look as the 2nd center and thus going up against stronger competition?

I want to continue to have Brass around, regardless. Hopefully we can sign him to a better contract than what he has now. He can play wing too. However, if this team has to use Brass as the second line center, I don't think we are a contender.
We wouldn't be a contender now, but after next year we might. Fortunately we have Richards and Stepper till at least 2014. He has a year to prove he is the next man up. And Miller is a beast. He was the best player in the World Juniors. He's 18. He'll be close to ready after next year. Give him a 20 game stint next season but keep him in Hartford the rest of the time. He'll be ready when his name is called.

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
  #829
Rangerboy030
Registered User
 
Rangerboy030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
We wouldn't be a contender now, but after next year we might. Fortunately we have Richards and Stepper till at least 2014. He has a year to prove he is the next man up. And Miller is a beast. He was the best player in the World Juniors. He's 18. He'll be close to ready after next year. Give him a 20 game stint next season but keep him in Hartford the rest of the time. He'll be ready when his name is called.
Miller was impressive, but he wasn't even the best player on team USA. Gibson, Jones and Gaudreau were all better than Miller.

Rangerboy030 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 12:57 AM
  #830
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,486
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerboy030 View Post
Miller was impressive, but he wasn't even the best player on team USA. Gibson, Jones and Gaudreau were all better than Miller.
Not to mention Trouba. That guy was something special.

JT will be a good player, I think. He just needs some more time in the A.

Rangers Fail is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 12:58 AM
  #831
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerboy030 View Post
Miller was impressive, but he wasn't even the best player on team USA. Gibson, Jones and Gaudreau were all better than Miller.
Touche. I've been drinking so don't hold it against me

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  #832
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,778
vCash: 500
The Rangers are not buying out Brad Richards.

Inferno is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
  #833
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
6pts in the last 5 games (including the 2 shutouts) is he getting his 'mojo' back or is it just a flash-in-the-pan?
Getting it back. He straight up looks faster, more assertive, etc. I honestly think Gabby was bringing him down. Bringing the whole team down. I am so glad that we made that move.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:41 AM
  #834
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The Rangers are not buying out Brad Richards.
In the summer of 2014...? I dunno, my friend - like I said before, that contract is an albatross under the new rules and there are a LOT of people that need to be re-signed that year. And if you've got Steps and Brassard in place with Lindberg/Miller ready to go at the 3C... I'd say it's not only possible, it's a likelihood.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:53 AM
  #835
Blueblood9
Registered User
 
Blueblood9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Bumping cause I was never answrred


Can someone help me out with the cap recapture?

If Richards retires after the 2017 season he will have 3 years at 1 mil in cash owed each year. Now does that mean the cap hit is a mil a year until the end of the contract or does it take on the original cap hit?

Blueblood9 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:58 AM
  #836
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood9 View Post
Bumping cause I was never answrred


Can someone help me out with the cap recapture?

If Richards retires after the 2017 season he will have 3 years at 1 mil in cash owed each year. Now does that mean the cap hit is a mil a year until the end of the contract or does it take on the original cap hit?
If we buy him out there will be no cap hit.

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:07 AM
  #837
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
to me he's played well as of late, but he would have to lead/win us to a cup for rangers to keep him past 14'.. its not so much his playing wise that will buy him out.. but more of a business decision..

we'll have kreider, hank, callahan, Girardi, MDZ all to sign (think they mean more to the club then richards)plus with Brass if he can make that next step to 2c.. it will help and the guys i mentioned will all need contracts.. plus to make matters better its a good UFA class along with Malkin possibly being out there?

we'll need the cap just for our own players and to think the possibility of gaining younger players that might be available.. I think its a no brainer... 33yr old richards who's signed another 6yrs or a 27/28 yr old we could sign for less yrs and play longer at a higher level..

pavs, stasny, malkin

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:07 AM
  #838
Blueblood9
Registered User
 
Blueblood9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
If we buy him out there will be no cap hit.
I understand this I'm asking if we decide not to and we keep him or trade him

Blueblood9 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
  #839
NYRCSKA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood9 View Post
I understand this I'm asking if we decide not to and we keep him or trade him
Well then of course we take a cap hit. Either he's going to have to restructure or we are going to buy him out though.

NYRCSKA is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  #840
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood9 View Post
I understand this I'm asking if we decide not to and we keep him or trade him
then we'll deff have to make a crazy ammount of trades.. to many guys are due for raises and have to be signed.. IMO business decision to buy him out.. not based on play but its a freebee to free up much needed $$$$.. one of 2 things would have to happen for him to stay...

1- guy leads us deep into this years playoffs and next year puts up more the PPG season..
2- We win a cup

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
  #841
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCSKA View Post
Well then of course we take a cap hit. Either he's going to have to restructure or we are going to buy him out though.
Restructure? This isn't the NFL.

Bird Law is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 04:49 PM
  #842
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood9 View Post
Bumping cause I was never answrred


Can someone help me out with the cap recapture?

If Richards retires after the 2017 season he will have 3 years at 1 mil in cash owed each year. Now does that mean the cap hit is a mil a year until the end of the contract or does it take on the original cap hit?
Blueblood...have a look at this Link...awesome $ stats for every team . Yes...we get a $6,666,667 per year hit until he is done without using our last remaining CBA Compliance Buyout .

http://capgeek.com/rangers

Leetch66 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:47 PM
  #843
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,887
vCash: 500
Bump

Brian Boyle's game, TOI and toothpaste choice is scrutinized yet Richards had a clunker last night and he somehow is not receiving any attention. Gaborik drew a huge amount of attention here for his poor play this season and Richie has been able to avoid a huge amount of criticism which is baffling considering his play, pay and pedigree. He looked like he was coming around before Kaleta nearly broke his neck and a couple of games after the trade but last night was horrendous. He has had far too many games like that this year, too. In OT, he was the 3rd forward pairing used by Torts...Stepan-Nash, Brassard-Cally, Richards-Haggy. Speaks volumes, no?

Carp was even harsher:

Quote:
Brad Richards. Oof. It’s tough to watch as he struggles to skate, to stay on his feet, as he spins from hits and throws the puck away. Ironically, his blind drop pass to nobody led to the momentum swing, because it led to Michael Del Zotto’s penalty, which led to a good kill that got the Garden cheering, and a momentum swing. But Richards, man. At least when we saw Chris Drury decline this quickly, he would win a draw, kill a penalty, block a shot or take a hit to move the puck.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
  #844
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Bump

Gaborik drew a huge amount of attention here for his poor play this season and Richie has been able to avoid a huge amount of criticism which is baffling considering his play, pay and pedigree.
This is a god given lie

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
  #845
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
This is a god given lie
Who received more flack and criticism? Gabby or Richie? More threads and posts? When you compare the two, Gabby received more.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  #846
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Who received more flack and criticism? Gabby or Richie? More threads and posts?
Richards.

But after the Gaborik trade and the first Rangers game post Gaborik, apparently Gaborik was the reason for Richards' struggles.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
  #847
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Who received more flack and criticism? Gabby or Richie? More threads and posts? When you compare the two, Gabby received more.
Richards. There were probably more posts around this board ******** on him with the constant use of the name 'Beaver' than there were in both the Gaborik discussion threads

JohnC is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
  #848
silverfish
Comfortably Numb
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 14,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Bump

Brian Boyle's game, TOI and toothpaste choice is scrutinized yet Richards had a clunker last night and he somehow is not receiving any attention. Gaborik drew a huge amount of attention here for his poor play this season and Richie has been able to avoid a huge amount of criticism which is baffling considering his play, pay and pedigree. He looked like he was coming around before Kaleta nearly broke his neck and a couple of games after the trade but last night was horrendous. He has had far too many games like that this year, too. In OT, he was the 3rd forward pairing used by Torts...Stepan-Nash, Brassard-Cally, Richards-Haggy. Speaks volumes, no?

Carp was even harsher:
That's because colgate> crest and Brian Boyle should ****ing learn that already.

Richards has been quite below average, and is another reason why the Rangers are struggling as they are this season. I don't think many can argue that.

I was holding on hope of the Rangers giving BR another chance next season before using the compliance this off-season, but now, who knows. Let's see what BR does the rest of the season and come playoff time. We know he's stepped it up in big games before, why not this season too?

I do like the fact that he is shooting more on the power play however, that is a great start.

silverfish is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
  #849
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
That's because colgate> crest and Brian Boyle should ****ing learn that already.
Richards has been quite below average, and is another reason why the Rangers are struggling as they are this season. I don't think many can argue that.

I was holding on hope of the Rangers giving BR another chance next season before using the compliance this off-season, but now, who knows. Let's see what BR does the rest of the season and come playoff time. We know he's stepped it up in big games before, why not this season too?

I do like the fact that he is shooting more on the power play however, that is a great start.
Haha, well played. All I am saying is, in the post game threads that I could stomach to venture into, Gabby's indifference, lack of aggression, etc was commented on more than Richards' invisible play from what I can tell. Even if people want to debate that, I don't think it's as debatable that Richards has not gotten nearly the criticism that other stars getting paid a lot of money have in the past. At the Garden or elsewhere. Alot of people I talked to around MSG were quicker to talk about Gaborik than Richards before the trade...

I am reluctant to buy him out this summer. It's alot of money on the Rangers cap next year but I have hard time assessing him in a lockout shortened season. I give most of these guys who are having off years or struggling the benefit of the doubt based on that being at least part of the reason (big or small I don't know). Particularly because he did not play in European league. He definitely has been better since being moved off the point on the PP but he was pretty brutal there.

nyranger61494 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
  #850
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 45,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Who received more flack and criticism? Gabby or Richie? More threads and posts? When you compare the two, Gabby received more.
As someone who moderates this board, Richards got more hate and its seriously, no joke, not even close.

I actually can not stress how much more hate Richards got and still receives.

Edit-I just felt the need to add once again, how ridiculously close it never was.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.