HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-07-2013, 12:38 AM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Did I miss the tweets that said Emelin would be out for months? What's the news?
Dr. Recchi.

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:38 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor8 View Post
Everybody knows the poster meant he didn't do any trades at the deadline and not in general ...

Drewiske for a 5th ..nobody really has a problem with that but I think people also wanted a pick-up of a more NHL experienced defenseman that can eat up minutes in case a guy like Gorges or Emelin gets injured. Now we have to count on Drewiske, Bouillon and a rookie in the lineup if Diaz doesn't recover or doesn't play like how he was playing before.
The objective every year is to give your team a shot at winning the Stanley Cup, with the dman listed above as our 4th, 5th and 6th, our shot at the Cup is now a miracle shot. I hope someone steps up and does a 'Chelios' or 'Subban' and comes in playing amazing rookie D.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:40 AM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Dr. Recchi.
What's the diagnosis?

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:40 AM
Toshio
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Agree with Desharnais. I however feel that the cap hit is not that bad that he could be tradeable but it was definetly a rushed move ...Desharnais is RFA, there was no need to do that ..

I just don't get why we didn't get Torres for a 3rd round pick. It would have helped our depth, speed, PK and physicality and of course pick up also an experienced NHL defenseman.

I could see Bergevin going after Torres this summer.
I actually heard from Elliot Friedman today on CBC that Phx was asking for a 2nd round pick, not 3rd for Torres. MB didnt want to give any of our 2nd round picks thats why it didnt go through.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:41 AM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
What's the diagnosis?
Swollen ego. Out for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
I actually heard from Elliot Friedman today on CBC that Phx was asking for a 2nd round pick, not 3rd for Torres. MB didnt want to give any of our 2nd round picks thats why it didnt go through.
They got a 3rd round pick from San Jose after all...

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:44 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Tinordi is ready.
Tinordi was drafted as a physical defensive Dman, with leadership and possible Captain material... this may be his time to shine. Although that's a lot to ask a rookie 20 year old dman!

Old
04-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Toshio
#FireTherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Swollen ego. Out for a while.

They got a 3rd round pick from San Jose after all...
Lol i know. That doesnt make sense.

Toshio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He picked up Drewskie.
LG I think the point was that Whiskey is not the level of Dman we needed in case of loss of a top 4.

However, I still think Bergy was smart not to essentially give anything at deadline, and this will test Tiny, or Beaulieu. Good experience for them.

Next year though, as I've said, the real pressure starts for Bergy, and he will not be able to be so conservative at the deadline, if we are in good position.

Quote:
I hate that argument. You are suppose to have enough cover to make up for an injury or two.... Diaz was already out and is CONCUSSED so he could of easily forseen that we would be in trouble if we lost someone.
You are correct. But this was not the year to overpay massively to cover the risk. Next year will be. And Whiskey will be OK in the meantime.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:47 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
Lol i know. That doesnt make sense.
SJ will pick before us in all likelihood

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:49 AM
WakeUpNHL

The more I think about it... it looks like we may not have seen the last of Kaberle. There may come a time when Kaberle will be back on the ice for the Habs this year.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:52 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I don't think Tinordi is ready, especially in the playoff.
i dont know... the last time we recalled a rookie dman in the playoffs was :drumroll:...

subban

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Traitor8

I think PHX would rather send Torres to MTL than to keep him in their division ..but anyways that's another topic for another thread.

With regards to the defensive situation, I don't like when posters say "Tinordi can be a good #6" or "no trouble with Tinordi has #6"..

The problem is not that Tinordi playing top 6 minutes but Pushing Drewskie has top 4 which he just cant be ...

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:04 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I think PHX would rather send Torres to MTL than to keep him in their division ..but anyways that's another topic for another thread.
No, PHX wanted the highest probable draft pick. end of story.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:41 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if we're looking to point out mistakes... not signing Subban to a multi-year contract in the ~5M$ range was/is his biggest mistake thus far.

deciding not to pay massive trade deadline premiums for average players was a stroke of genius
That.

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:46 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Dr. Recchi.
Lol .

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:49 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i dont know... the last time we recalled a rookie dman in the playoffs was :drumroll:...

subban
Can't really compare these two players. Subban was dominating the AHL when he was called up Tinordi is far from doing that. We can easily compare Tinordi's stats with Chara's although Chara only became a dominant player in his 4th NHL year when he started playing for Ottawa. I'd personally give Weber and Kaberle a shot see what they both bring to the team, anyways we're pretty sure to get home-ice advantage in the PO.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:01 AM
Forgedias

Quote:
if we're looking to point out mistakes... not signing Subban to a multi-year contract in the ~5M$ range was/is his biggest mistake thus far.

deciding not to pay massive trade deadline premiums for average players was a stroke of genius
I'm going to chip in here because I think people need to understand and listen to what Marc Bergevin has said all along. He is building for the future for many years to come. I think most of you heard that when he had his news conference at the trade deadline. Those draft picks are precious and he isn't willing to mortgage the club's future by trading them for rentals.

We all know how deep and franchise changing this draft will be. There are already several players we can deem as superstars in the 2013 draft. Last years draft we can't even say that, with Yakupov only doing ok and Galchenyuk having a good year, but probably will not win the Calder. Maybe this might change in the 10 games left, but its safe to say either Huberdeau or maybe Gallagher will win the Calder.

But the 2013 draft is so deep that we are more then likely to see over 40 players that have 1st round grades come into that draft. And with Montreal holding Calgary's 2nd round draft pick, its really another 1st if you consider how badly Calgary is tanking right now. With so many skilled players and players like Droin, Jones, Barkov, Nichushkin and maybe Mckinnon potentially having the superstar tag on them. 2013 is shaping up to be a year where prospects can change the fortunes of a franchise around. There hasn't been a draft this deep and this potentially important in a decade. Bergevin was smart to keep all his high draft picks, he has 4 draft picks in the first 2 rounds, and 6 for the top 90 players. All of these picks can be potentially number one picks since we know from past experience teams will pick quite frequently draft for either need or potential and let round one graded players drop.

For me, this draft is just too important, more important then getting Montreal into the playoffs, because this draft can solidify Montreal for years to come. So I am happy Bergevin didn't get swayed by the public and fork over high draft picks for rentals, because if Pittsburgh was willing to forgo 2 second rounders for a player like Murray, then you know it was going to be expensive to get rentals for the playoffs.

Back to the quote on top, I may be in the minority here, but I think Bergevin did the smart thing when he kept to his guns and got Subban signed to a bridge contract, Many of you are figuring that to resign Subban, its going to cost us even more. I agree it will cost us more. But your forgetting that as an organization Montreal has to show their players that they want them to prove that they are not a one year wonder and should be rewarded for that. How much is the Sabres regretting that ridiculous contract they gave to Tyler Myers. His 6million or so contract is becoming an albatross for their organization. Myers had a great year playing his entry level contract and they rewarded him for that with a massive contract and his play has never returned to those levels after that.

Montreal in turn has rewarded Carey Price and Pacioretty with long term deals that pay them what they deserve. Plekanac as well. Could we have gotten Subban cheaper? Sure, but these bridge contracts help both sides. I think everyone here believes Subban was going to be worth at least 5million and we would of been happy if Subban got that, but Montreal also needs to stabilize their cap. They can't keep rewarding their prospects with big contracts everytime their entry deal is over. That bridge contract is key to Montreal because they have more wiggle room to work out the long term contracts from their older veteran players. Those two years is very helpful in managing their cap situation. Remember our Cap for next year will be around 60million, but the 2015 year, many of our long term contracts with players like Gionta and Markov will be over. In fact we will clear 40million off our cap in 2015. Managing your cap is vital if Montreal is going to stay competitive. 2015 is also the year that Subban will be extended and it will be no surprise to any of us that he will be rewarded. In fact lets just say he will take over Markov's 5.75million cap hit from then on. He will be well worth this.

Looking at what Bergevin has already done this season, he really has knocked it out of the park. He started with the Stellar draft with the pick up of Galchenyuk, hired Michel Therrien which many of us questioned but turned out to be one of the better hires for Montreal in a long time. Traded for Micheal Ryder and traded away an underperforming player in Cole. And picked up Drewskie who is looking like an awesome pick up with Emelin's injury. Drewskie played 23minutes and played very tough agains the Bruins.

My only question mark was signing David Desharnais to a 4year extension. That surprised me, not extending Desharnais, but giving him 4 years. He's an exploitation forward and needs snipers on his wings to be effective. He isn't a top centerman that can play both ends of the rink. He gets exposed when he has to defend against a top line as we saw against the 7-6 loss to Pittsburgh.

In final, for me it doesn't matter how well Montreal does in the playoffs this year. I know that sounds sacrilegious, but for me, its this upcoming draft that is so important. This draft if Bergevin can do his homework will forever change Montreal for many years to come. The 2012-2013 drafts will be franchise changing drafts for Montreal. And that has got me excited like I haven't been for a very long time.

Forgedias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Great post, i agree with everything, including especially desharnais for 4 more years...

but more especially with the fact bergevin absolutely wanted to keep those draft picks, ..all i want to see now is if he can turn a couple of those 2nd's and something into high 1st

will be another exciting offseason for bergevin for sure, except this time we actually get to see the habs IN the playoffs before that time comes

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:33 AM
macavoy

Maybe if there was 3-4 top 4 dman that were traded at the deadline, you might have a point but reality is Bergy got one of the 2 dman that were traded near the deadline.

How is that a failure?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

By the same token, if you sign him for 5-6-7-8 years maybe he turns into Tyler Myers and doesn't have the season he is having. Part of Subban's sucess is having to come back and be a team player...if he gets the big long term contract maybe he sees himself as the star and doesn't simplify his game.

I agree on the trade deadline thing, get mediore talent at impact player prices...pass.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Maybe if there was 3-4 top 4 dman that were traded at the deadline, you might have a point but reality is Bergy got one of the 2 dman that were traded near the deadline.

How is that a failure?
+1000

some seem to think this is nhl13 where you can have 3sets of top pair dmen and a 4th line of iginla, bergeron and ryder.....

This team has solid depth, if emelin is down call up a rookie and we should be fine.

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:42 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Can't really compare these two players. Subban was dominating the AHL when he was called up Tinordi is far from doing that. We can easily compare Tinordi's stats with Chara's although Chara only became a dominant player in his 4th NHL year when he started playing for Ottawa. I'd personally give Weber and Kaberle a shot see what they both bring to the team, anyways we're pretty sure to get home-ice advantage in the PO.
Not only that, but JT is a defensive dman, he can't make up for his mistakes by generating lots of offense or anything. Making it harder for players like him to be dominant at such a young age because of this.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:44 AM
Giddens

It's great to have so many picks for the next draft but I look forward to seeing some smart "assets management" as well. There is a limit to the number of contracts per team of course. At some point we will have to start trading young players that don't have a future in Montreal. A guy like Weber comes to mind. Maybe Leblanc also. Both players have fallen down in the depth chart.

Giddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:51 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:

PK was not a mistake at all , once proven he gets his money , no problem

not overpaying at the deadline was very smart

biggest mistake by far and he may fix it sooner than later

THE DD SIGNING WAS A JOKE , no need for it at all , no team was going to pay him stupid money for an RFA and what he brings to the table and lose draft picks as compensation , and we have 3 centers better than him right now

A bad fit , luckily he doesnt have a no trade clause

thats the only mistake he made so far

Last edited by onemorecup*: 04-07-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typing
onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:15 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
PK was not a mistake at all , once proven he gets his money , no problem

not overpaying at the deadline was very smart

biggest mistake by far and he may fix it sooner than later

THE DD SIGNING WAS A JOKE , no need for it at all , no team was going to pay him stupid money for an RFA and what he brings to the table and lose draft picks as compensation , and we have 3 centers better than him right now

A bad fit , luckily he doesnt have a no trade clause

thats the only mistake he made so far
In 2013-14 DD is expendable hopefully. But we need DD next year.'Reality is Eller had not proven he can be the #2 over a consist time frame.

More importantly, even if Eller could be a bonafide -#2 next year, Galyenchunk isn't able to be a #3 shutdown dman. We need Eller to be our #3, which means DD needs to be our #2 until Gally breaks out.

Too many people are short sighted and forget our biggest problem the past 10 years has been a lack of depth at center, now that we finally have success, why do they want to trade away our reason for depth?

Cups are won down the middle, Bergy is doing it right.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote