HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Brian Gionta at the Draft

Old
04-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Building would errupt in NJ if Gionta came back. Still a fan favorite and obvious connections to the team past and present
Please take him back.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Please take him back.
What would MTL want ?

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Never
Completely digital

Quote:
Please take him back.
How about no?

Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Bullsmith

Gionta's weak captain in a lot ways. Doesn't really stand up for the team on the ice or in the insatiable Montreal media. He's tiny. He's overpaid. But if you have cap room he's a valuable player on pretty much any team. Complimentary, but reliable and versatile and able to create scoring by himself from time to time.

Still, be cool to see SOMETHING entertaining happen at a draft beyond the picks. Gio going back to NJ would be fun in it's own right. Can't see why either team would want to do it, I suspect he'd be fairly easy to get if NJ wanted to.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
What would MTL want ?
2nd and a meh prospect, or a prospect who is like 24 and good in the AHL, but terrible at the NHL. + A bad contract with 1 year left.

11g and 11a isn't 5 mill a season good, but it's not Gomez useless.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
There's no point in moving Gionta for the Habs. He's a good player, even if he's a little overpaid, but a good ambassador for the team and good worker. There is nothing else to spend his cap hit on, the Habs will just keep him. Paying a guy $1M or so more than he probably "deserves" is no big deal. It's when it gets to the multiple millions like Gomez and Kaberle that you get a problem. Gionta is nowhere near that level. There's simply nothing to be gained by moving him, nowhere to spend his money more effectively.
pretty much agree with this unless the offer is enticing enough...

Moving Gionta would make paying Ryder more palatable (and with his production this year + a very weak UFA market for wingers, Ryder's in for a nice pay day... just hope staying in montreal is enough to get him taking at least a bit of a "hometown" discount).

- UFA market for forwards is thin
- Gionta's "intangibles" are well known/appreciated
- he's still putting decent production (enough to be an ok top-6, strong top-9 player)
- 1 year left on the contract

all of those points make it easy for Mtl to keep him, but also likely make him an attractive target & for some teams (Edm, Cgy, NJ, NYI to name a few), the need he'd fill may be worth parting with a big enough return to get the Habs listening.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:58 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
Gionta doesn't have a NTC/NMC.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/777

While I'm not a fan of trading the captain, if there's a sound offer out there I'd consider it.
yes he does

http://www.capgeek.com/canadiens/

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
What would MTL want ?
We seem to like second round picks a lot. Toss in a low key prospect and that's pretty good.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Quote:
We have kids coming in, its time to move on.

We have guys like Patches, Ryder, DD, Plek, Prust, Moen, Bourque who all have pretty good experience up front.

We have two rookies this year and next year we will need to make a place for one of Kristo, Leblanc, Bournival...
My thoughts as well. Even though the team is winning, we are very much in a rebuild mode.

There are other old guys I would move after the season too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:26 AM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
My thoughts as well. Even though the team is winning, we are very much in a rebuild mode.

There are other old guys I would move after the season too.
I honestly want us to field offers on Markov. Teams like Detroit or Philly are so desperate for defense they might just pay the steep price we'd want despite Markov's history.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:34 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
LOL! At the thought of the Montreal Canadiens moving their captain who has one year left on his current deal and has been performing at a respectable ~25G-50pt pace for the sole purpose of clearing cap space. I mean this with all due respect, but with no important players to resign next season and with more than ample cap space going into 13/14 (with Tomáš Kaberle buyout), trading Brian Gionta in the offseason would be really classless and quite frankly, unnecessary.

Edit: Did anyone else know that Gionta's spouse is named "Harvest." Her name is Harvest Gionta. What an odd name

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:49 AM
nitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
LOL! At the thought of the Montreal Canadiens moving their captain who has one year left on his current deal and has been performing at a respectable ~25G-50pt pace for the sole purpose of clearing cap space. I mean this with all due respect, but with no important players to resign next season and with more than ample cap space going into 13/14 (with Tomáš Kaberle buyout), trading Brian Gionta in the offseason would be really classless and quite frankly, unnecessary.

Edit: Did anyone else know that Gionta's spouse is named "Harvest." Her name is Harvest Gionta. What an odd name
If he had spent his entire career with Montreal, I think that you would have had a point. However, he's only been there for a few years. The organization doesn't really owe him anything, and he's pretty overpaid.

Montreal has players coming up that are more than capable of replacing him. Gallagher looks like he could be like him.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:56 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
If he had spent his entire career with Montreal, I think that you would have had a point. However, he's only been there for a few years. The organization doesn't really owe him anything, and he's pretty overpaid.

Montreal has players coming up that are more than capable of replacing him. Gallagher looks like he could be like him.
Even with that being said, among forwards Brian Gionta is one of the oldest, most experienced and most tenured Montreal Canadiens on the roster. He is one of only four Canadiens with a Stanley Cup Ring (Tomáš Kaberle, Michael Ryder, Travis Moen the other 3) and had a great playoff performance in a Canadiens uniform just 2 full seasons ago.

One must not underestimate the value of a hard-working productive veteran especially considering the relative youth and inexperience among the Canadiens' core players.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Even with that being said, among forwards Brian Gionta is one of the oldest, most experienced and most tenured Montreal Canadiens on the roster. He is one of only four Canadiens with a Stanley Cup Ring (Tomáš Kaberle, Michael Ryder, Travis Moen the other 3) and had a great playoff performance in a Canadiens uniform just 2 full seasons ago.

One must not underestimate the value of a hard-working productive veteran especially considering the relative youth and inexperience among the Canadiens' core players.

Ok, how are you a Leafs fan with such intelligent thought and analysis? You understand Gionta's value to our team better than fart too many of our own supposed "fans". Thank you for bringing such a great perspective to this idiotic thread.

People should stop trying to get rid of Gionta. He is a 20-28 goal, 40-50 point producing heart and soul winger who fights hard, plays with an edge, and leads by example. When he and Markov were out last year it brutally hurt our team. Now we have him and Markov back to lead the great young core we have, and people want more shiny new toys rather than understanding the value we actually have in our established veterans. *********g pathetic. I wish more people on this site had a clue as to what is necessary for a Cup run. Hint: it is not 2nd round picks en masse.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

I want no part of Brian Gionta. That ship sailed long ago. And I doubt the building would erupt on draft day if the Devils would be dumb enough or desperate to make that trade. It would be more of a groan with how Lou seems more interested these days in lazily re-acquiring older, expensive and rapidly declining players who used to play for the Devils or re-uniting everybody with their brother (I call it Niedermayer Syndrome).

I'm more interested in seeing us get rid of the Gionta we already have.

Traitor Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Captain Wolverine

No real interest with getting rid of Gionta. For all the flack he gets (and some of it is warranted), he's been good for us. He's good for around 20-25 goals, solid 2-way play, and great leadership. If it wasn't for having the undersized Desharnais and Gallagher as more long-term pieces, I wouldn't even entertain trading him. For a young team rebuilding on the fly, he's an important guy to have mentoring the young guys, especially when it comes to the playoffs.

In all likelihood, he'll play out his contract and leave for a better offer in 2014.

Captain Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
2nd and a meh prospect, or a prospect who is like 24 and good in the AHL, but terrible at the NHL. + A bad contract with 1 year left.

11g and 11a isn't 5 mill a season good, but it's not Gomez useless.
What!?

I am not trading our captain for a terrible NHL player PLUS another bad contract. What is wrong with Gionta? We are in good position cap salary wise, no need to trade him for nothing (AND get extra salary in return too).

He does have 11 goals in 38 games. That translate to about 25 goals in a full season.

Again, I don't feel the urge to trade him. Even if it's only next year. We don't know how Bourque, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty... will react in playoffs. Gionta is a proven playoff performer.

I'm keeping him until his contract expire then if he wants to leave/go back to New Jersey then he should. But as of now he's on our first line and he's the captain.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:32 PM
capebretoncanadien

I don't think we should trade him at all. He's still good. He's a bit 500-1 mil overpaid but who cares about that when we haven't found anything to spend the cap space we have now.

I think we let him play out his contract and sign him to a cheaper 2-3 year deal after next season to play on the third line. I love that we have three lines that can put the puck in the net and would love to see it continue on like that.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Halifaxhab*

If he came to bergevin and said...id like to go back to jersey.....sure, trade him. Otherwise, why?

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:17 PM
RawNastyHands

if we were a team like Washington or Anaheim with almost
all big players over 6'00''. I'd keep Gionta. But that isn't the case
with Montreal. We have DD, Gally, Pleky in our top 6 which are all
5'11'' and below. Ryder being just 6'00'' and not physical doesn't
help either. on top of that we got prospects that will be pushing
to make the team next year like former university player Kristo
which was playing amazing and still is with the Hamilton bulldogs.
And other prospects like Dumont aswell. they both
are under 5'11''. which is more small players. Size is a big
factor in why i think people want to get rid of Gionta. Also the fact
that Gally can easily replace him skill wise doesn't help his situation.
and also his contract is overpaid for what he's offering us right now.
Being a leader and a Vet can only get you so far, you have to have the
skill and size to make yourself more valuable in the NHL at that age.
i say we trade Gionta. Not because of his lack of skill but more because
his type considering his lack of size and decreasing points.
he did his time for us, now its time to go.

Last edited by RawNastyHands: 04-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.
RawNastyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Jerzey Devil

Getting older is the last thing NJ needs. Especially at the cost of prospects or early draft picks.

If Gionta is coming back to NJ then MTL has to take Volchenkov and Tallinder.

Jerzey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
HABSFTW

Unless we need to make cap space (we don't) or we he's part of a package that gives us an upgrade (unlikely) it doesn't make sense to trade team depth. That's a huge reason we are where we are this year. Being able to roll 3 lines..

HABSFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
What would MTL want ?
Rights for Clarkson + a 3rd would be fine with me.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Guilliam

Quote:

I can't believe ittook a Leafs fan to come here and make the most sense about a Habs player.

Kudos to you sir for being capable of objective and rational thoughts about a rival

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote