HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#39 |Tampa Bay Lightning vs. New York Islanders | Apr 6 | 7 PM | W 4-2

Old
04-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lek View Post
I have been watching a lot of other games and the refs are sitting back in all of them, not just ours.

Other thing...I thought I heard Howie say during the game that the Islanders have more home Power Plays than any other team. If true.....
The Isles have been on the powerplay 82 times in 21 home games, tops in the entire NHL. Not only that, but the Isles have only been on the PK 59 times in 21 games. They've had 23 more PPs than they've been shorthanded, or the equivalent of 1 full PP per game.

On the road the Isles haven't drawn as many, only 50 in 18 games. But they haven't exactly been "screwed over" either, only being shorthanded 58 times in 18 games.

Overall, the Isles have had 132 powerplay opportunities and have been shorthanded only 117 times, which is the 4th fewest times shorthanded in the NHL. They've had 15 more PP opportunities compared to times being shorthanded this season.

So I'm honestly not understanding why so many folks seem to think the refs are out to get the Isles.

(Note: I know a lot of folks think the Penguins get preferential treatment by the refs, but the Penguins have only had 67 powerplays in 21 home games, compared to the Isles' 82 in 21 home games. Overall, the Pens have had 132 PPs (exact same as the Isles) but have been shorthanded 137 times (20 more times than the Isles))

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:06 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
The Isles have been on the powerplay 82 times in 21 home games, tops in the entire NHL. Not only that, but the Isles have only been on the PK 59 times in 21 games. They've had 23 more PPs than they've been shorthanded, or the equivalent of 1 full PP per game.

On the road the Isles haven't drawn as many, only 50 in 18 games. But they haven't exactly been "screwed over" either, only being shorthanded 58 times in 18 games.

Overall, the Isles have had 132 powerplay opportunities and have been shorthanded only 117 times, which is the 4th fewest times shorthanded in the NHL. They've had 15 more PP opportunities compared to times being shorthanded this season.

So I'm honestly not understanding why so many folks seem to think the refs are out to get the Isles.

(Note: I know a lot of folks think the Penguins get preferential treatment by the refs, but the Penguins have only had 67 powerplays in 21 home games, compared to the Isles' 82 in 21 home games. Overall, the Pens have had 132 PPs (exact same as the Isles) but have been shorthanded 137 times (20 more times than the Isles))
I'm no conspiracy theorist and I don't think refs are 'out to get' anyone.

But there's not really a strng correlation between the number of PPs/PKs and the quality of the calls. One might say that the Pens should probably have been SH 187 times if the calls were "fair"

Isles haven't made the playoffs in a long time. Watching these close games is fun and nerve-racking to say the least. So many will jump to conspiracy on what is just a bad call. We get some and they get some...just reality.

What I do notice though is that Tavares, in particular, gets very few calls for an elite forward. Phaneuf and Hedman have been going at him hard for years, dirty, and rarely get called. I could dig up videos as proof and many feel that the same incidents against other NHL players would result in penalties.

I'm not sure how true that is, but I certainly do think JT gets screwed on a lot of calls.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:10 AM
TeamKidd

Was at the game tonight. Makes me sad to think about this team in Brooklyn. This is a great barn when filled with long islanders. The refs, particularly #36 (larue i think?) really seemed like they had something invested in this game. He was 2 feet from the only penalty called on tampa and saw nothing, yet the trail ref seemed to catch it from center ice. He single handedly watched 4 or 5 clear penalties by tampa and let them go. You can say Isles have had more power plays at home, blah blah blah, but im sorry, a penalty is a penalty, no matter how many times it happens. cizikas was held, mcdonald was high sticked...etc etc...these things happened and #36 turned a blind eye. not acceptable. he had his arms folded or his hands on his hips the whole game, he seemed annoyed just to be there. sorry. call it fair. thats all we ask.

the great thing is, the isles came through despite the ref. So glad to see boyes benched for a little while, i hope it continues. he passed up so many checks and played such matador defense, it really was embarrassing...especially when you see guys like okposo, bailey, tavares, and martin busting their hump....

I really would like to see JT between Bailey and Okposo...Blasphemy, i know, but honestly, 85% of that line is those two, neilsen...not so much....at least offensively.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:29 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

great game by the isles. refs were awful (not a conspiracy just inept). boyes really needs to work on his passing (understatement) but i still feel he is a solid forechecker. i'd rather him play on the 3rd line with aucoin and grabner and move someone else up to the top line. yesse was amazing tonight, he should be back for next season. lee should be sent down when moulson is back, there's a lot of jump in his game but his defense isn't there yet

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:32 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
great game by the isles. refs were awful (not a conspiracy just inept). boyes really needs to work on his passing (understatement) but i still feel he is a solid forechecker. i'd rather him play on the 3rd line with aucoin and grabner and move someone else up to the top line.
Personally I think Boyes problem is he needs an extra second to do his thing and playing against other teams top checkers doesn't help him. Move him to the third line with Aucion all of a sudden he plays against weaker lines and 3rd pairing defensemen. You can keep him on the top PP unit

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:35 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
great game by the isles. refs were awful (not a conspiracy just inept). boyes really needs to work on his passing (understatement) but i still feel he is a solid forechecker. i'd rather him play on the 3rd line with aucoin and grabner and move someone else up to the top line. yesse was amazing tonight, he should be back for next season. lee should be sent down when moulson is back, there's a lot of jump in his game but his defense isn't there yet
While i wont say there is some grand conspiracy against the isles, I can assure you, one of the refs tonight looked completely disinterested in calling a penalty against tampa. I saw him laughing and talking to the other ref, acting out the previous play (cizikas stick being held) during a commercial break, seemingly trying to convince the other ref that it really wasnt a penalty....

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:10 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1m
@MMoulson has his ironman streak end at 284 straight games, officially out with the flu. #Isles
I've had Molsons flu a few times myself.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:16 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Need Hamonic and Amac to have a strong game to win this one.
And they did.

I saw in an Edmonton paper last week that Andrew MacDonald is second in the league this season in blocked shots.

edmontonislesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:56 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonislesfan View Post
And they did.

I saw in an Edmonton paper last week that Andrew MacDonald is second in the league this season in blocked shots.
People don't give these 2 enough credit. When they were out against the stamkos line they did absolutely nothing, they were also awesome on the pk.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:01 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Dude there was about 5 penalities that should have been called, it was unreal. A penalty is a penalty and idk why your posting these stats. I'm not saying the refs are out to get them bc I think thats ridiculous, but they were atrocious yesterday.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Baeron

Just a quick question. Nhl.com has Streit at -2 for yesterday's game. Given that TB only scored two, and Streit was credited with a secondary assist on Martin's goal, and that there wereno PPGs, how is that possible?

Baeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:14 AM
jonas2244

He already left the ice when Martin scored, I guess.

jonas2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:21 AM
Snapshotgoal

Kyle Okposo is playing the best Hockey I've ever seen him play. I remember in the beginning of the year I wanted to see him traded but that goes to show why I'm not GM.

Anyway, he's working so hard and it show on the ice. I don't think you can break him off his line this year, but he has to go back on the Tavares line next season. As we make the playoffs this year you have to keep the lines status quo..

Great game for Kyle last night!

Lets go Islanders!

Snapshotgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
Was at the game tonight. Makes me sad to think about this team in Brooklyn. This is a great barn when filled with long islanders. The refs, particularly #36 (larue i think?) really seemed like they had something invested in this game. He was 2 feet from the only penalty called on tampa and saw nothing, yet the trail ref seemed to catch it from center ice. He single handedly watched 4 or 5 clear penalties by tampa and let them go. You can say Isles have had more power plays at home, blah blah blah, but im sorry, a penalty is a penalty, no matter how many times it happens. cizikas was held, mcdonald was high sticked...etc etc...these things happened and #36 turned a blind eye. not acceptable. he had his arms folded or his hands on his hips the whole game, he seemed annoyed just to be there. sorry. call it fair. thats all we ask.

the great thing is, the isles came through despite the ref. So glad to see boyes benched for a little while, i hope it continues. he passed up so many checks and played such matador defense, it really was embarrassing...especially when you see guys like okposo, bailey, tavares, and martin busting their hump....

I really would like to see JT between Bailey and Okposo...Blasphemy, i know, but honestly, 85% of that line is those two, neilsen...not so much....at least offensively.
36 is Dean Morton who has turned a blind eye to penalties against the Islanders all season

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baeron View Post
Just a quick question. Nhl.com has Streit at -2 for yesterday's game. Given that TB only scored two, and Streit was credited with a secondary assist on Martin's goal, and that there wereno PPGs, how is that possible?
He passed the puck to Ders, came off the ice someone else came on to get the +1. Weird.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Hyphistos

I know it is only one game and you shouldn't read too much into +/- but this is only the third time that Tavares is +2 this season, and the first time while he didn't score himself. Also Grabner is finally + again over the whole season, with only four players better on this team. So I think he would add some defensive element to the first line, even if maybe it is not the type of defense one would think of as perfectly complementary to JT.

But I expect the first line will be back to "normal" as soon as Moulson is back, or does anyone here think that this game could have changed anything in the minds of the coaches? I'm not even thinking directly of Moulson, rather Boyes maybe?

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:40 AM
steveat

I don't want Boyes near the third line. That line would suffer so much with him. Aucoin's line lives on backchecking and Boyes does none of it.

I am gonna stay neutral as to my feelings about KO until next season. he is NOW playing like we always wanted him to play, but it's like 0-60 in 4.5 months!

I wanted to ask those living in the area (LI)...is it true what Butchie said...are people really candidly and randomly talking hockey and the Isles in town? Wow..such a change!

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Wild fan coming in peace.

Congratulations for yesterday's win, I really hope you guys can make the playoffs after a really rough stretch.

A quick question: I saw on today's papers that Jesse Joensuu played for Islanders last night. How did he do? The papers described his performance as "trigger happy" and "full of effort", but one shouldn't trust Finnish newspapers as they always tend to hype Finns. The reason I'm asking this is that I always liked Joensuu's style of play and thought he would become an NHL regular, maybe a 3rd-line PWF type of guy one day.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I don't want Boyes near the third line. That line would suffer so much with him. Aucoin's line lives on backchecking and Boyes does none of it.

I am gonna stay neutral as to my feelings about KO until next season. he is NOW playing like we always wanted him to play, but it's like 0-60 in 4.5 months!

I wanted to ask those living in the area (LI)...is it true what Butchie said...are people really candidly and randomly talking hockey and the Isles in town? Wow..such a change!
Yes, it's true. People are hopping on the bandwagon for sure.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:59 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post

Congratulations for yesterday's win, I really hope you guys can make the playoffs after a really rough stretch.

A quick question: I saw on today's papers that Jesse Joensuu played for Islanders last night. How did he do? The papers described his performance as "trigger happy" and "full of effort", but one shouldn't trust Finnish newspapers as they always tend to hype Finns. The reason I'm asking this is that I always liked Joensuu's style of play and thought he would become an NHL regular, maybe a 3rd-line PWF type of guy one day.
He played well...better than we expected him to play. He uses his size very well and doesnt get knocked around in the corners. I would say he is mid-six talent..probably top 5-7. In about 2 years time we are going to have to make some trades because we are going to have a major prospect traffic jam.

I do not know where JJ is in the Isles plans, but I can tell you that he's so far (one game) looked ok....we need more games to evaluate. It seems that playing in the Elite league over in Finland, it has really pumped up his game.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:00 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:

I wasn't a fan of Joensuu, but he had a strong game yesterday and I think he could definitely be a good fit for the bottom 6th.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
New York Islanders Playoff Chances
Beat Tampa Bay 4-2, playoff odds up 17.2 to 63.3%
42 points 19 16-4

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...Islanders.html
Wow that percentage going up is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Make it rock make it last!! Still got some time for more memories at the old barn
I said earlier in the season that this team could make a few more runs in the playoffs. Hopefully this is #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It seems like in general the whistles are being put away for all teams in the past month or so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Yes this. I've been watching a lot of other games. There was a big no call late in the devils game as well. These games are being called like the playoffs. It's good practice.
You know that is not right. Call the *** games. This is not playoff hockey yet. And if they swallow their whistles in the playoff.....even if it is for all teams (I do believe it will be), then what are they there for? If you are the first ref on a play or a trail ref and you don't want to call a penalty, because the league doesn't want you to or it is understood that the whistles go away in the playoffs why even have 2 refs, why not one from then on???Why do we even need them, to get in front of the players? I well never get such BS.
Quote:

I don't think it........watch the games. The refs should call penalties. Even if it is on the Isles. They have been playing better and should be getting the calls because they are moving their feet and being held, cross checked and the such. If they (Isels) should get more PP time ITS BECASE THEY DESERVE IT!!! They worked hard and were impeded and all I get is "well you know they have gotten more anyways" SO FRIGGIN WHAT? Call what should be *** called. Even if the Pens get more PP time, as long as its fair. It's not.
Its not justified to say something to the effect that they already have had many. They can have more. This should not be rocket science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I'm no conspiracy theorist and I don't think refs are 'out to get' anyone.

But there's not really a strng correlation between the number of PPs/PKs and the quality of the calls. One might say that the Pens should probably have been SH 187 times if the calls were "fair"

Isles haven't made the playoffs in a long time. Watching these close games is fun and nerve-racking to say the least. So many will jump to conspiracy on what is just a bad call. We get some and they get some...just reality.

What I do notice though is that Tavares, in particular, gets very few calls for an elite forward. Phaneuf and Hedman have been going at him hard for years, dirty, and rarely get called. I could dig up videos as proof and many feel that the same incidents against other NHL players would result in penalties.

I'm not sure how true that is, but I certainly do think JT gets screwed on a lot of calls.
Exactly on JT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post

It is great to see not only JT bustin out their but the likes of KO, Bailbondsman and even A MacD, C McD, HamandEggs and even Keith Aucion with his jumping in the air like that. Brad Boyes has been a bad boy for us for sure. To bad he can't be shipped inner conference to the Pens or Rags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonislesfan View Post
And they did.

Wow he is 2nd in blocked shots and Martin is probably first in hits (I don't know for sure).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
36 is Dean Morton who has turned a blind eye to penalties against the Islanders all season
I hope the NHL notices and he doesnt get to ref any teams come playoff time. What a disgrace.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Jester9881

Quote:

Jesse played very well.... especially for someone that missed so much time. He was driving to the net, skating hard, HITTING, digging the puck out of corners and rushing back on D. The only thing you could point to that he did wrong was a penalty he took early. Other than that, I'd love to keep him around if he's going to bring it like that every night.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:30 AM
SthlmNYI

Quote:

I can only agree with previous posters. Joensuu played very well, doing everything you could ask (and maybe even more) from checking-liner.

Had an opportunity to talk to a Pori native the other day and he said that Joensuu had impressed him in Ässät during the lockout.
His overall thought was that Joensuu's year in HV71 of the SEL have only done him good, mainly in understanding how he should play the game - play simple and use his frame.

Joensuu's contract situation is a bit difficult though. He has to impress management to the point where they think he's worthy of a new contract in just a few games, unless the Isles make the playoffs of course.

Last edited by SthlmNYI: 04-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.
SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:30 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Dude there was about 5 penalities that should have been called, it was unreal. A penalty is a penalty and idk why your posting these stats. I'm not saying the refs are out to get them bc I think thats ridiculous, but they were atrocious yesterday.
It's not much different in other games right now. Seems like whistles are in the pockets.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote