Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What is REALLY wrong?

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 07:26 AM
bruinsfan001

vCash: 500
There not bearing down on their opportunities and putting the puck in the back of the net. You can't win games if you don't score goals. One goal a game isn't going to cut it. After they score a goal they should be striving to score five more and bury teams, they have the talent to do it. Thats what gave them success during the 2010-2011 season.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

All these bad regular season showing will be long gone when Bettman gives the Cup to Chara late June.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:29 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Really the only important piece looking his age is Chara. Guy looks spent every game. Ference is a non factor now. They need better dmen than Bartkowski and Ference.
Ference played well last night. Probably his best game all season.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:30 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Who are you thinking? Marchand? Boychuck?
Marshy has a shoulder injury.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
KrejciMVP

Its not that the Bruins played terribly, it was only 2-1, coaching was an issue. Going to give Julien the pass and the chance to make the obvious offensive move.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:35 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Ference played well last night. Probably his best game all season.
He had a solid 1st period. He had a horrible TO in the 3rd period and failed miserably keeping the puck in Montreals zone in the 3 rd also. Yeah he played better than he has but that's damming with faint praise as they say.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
TheBigBadB

Real easy, no identity..

The reason Lucic is a 6 million dollar player had nothing to do with his production and more to do with being the identity of this team. He hit hard, took on all comers, played with a chip on his shoulder and gave a blue worker effort every shift. He gave the bruins the identity of a hard to play against team. The team followed suit. As soon as he became a "scorer" the team emotional started to becoming indifferent in the way they play. Basically making it tougher to get mentally engaged in a game.

It can not be all pinned on Lucic though. Other players need to step up and be that identity guy. As you could see last night during that 6 on 4, there is no one that wants to be that guy on this team. This falls down to the captain as well. He should be screaming at his players on the bench, laying people out, stepping up and being a leader. He is playing like a follower as well. Its scary how complacent everyone is on this team.

So the question is when will they finally get emotional engaged, come out focus, and play with a chip on their shoulders again? The answer is when someone finally has had enough and finally steps up as a leader. Not for one shift, or one game. Someone that will do it consistently each game. Until then we are stuck with this team and its lack of identity.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:37 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileusa View Post
I have thought about goalie issues, injured players, Thornton getting clocked, attitude, effort, desire, contracts, coaches, low scoring, etc...

But what is(are) the REAL reason(s)??

I have been a fan for 30 years all in Mobile, Alabama
and have never felt like I have this year. It's frustrating
Too much comfort

Team hasn`t had the same attitude since.......wait for it......here it comes.....Recci retired

Old
04-07-2013, 08:01 AM
C77

1. The defense is too heavily weighted toward shutting down the other team. They need another guy that is good at moving the puck. Otherwise you have the 5 d to d passes and the inevitable turnovers. Chara and Hamilton both handle the puck pretty well. The rest of the guys not so much.

2. The players aren't competing that hard. The Bruins have been outskated, outworked, and outhit many times this year.

3. They don't attack with speed and they are stuck on the perimeter in the offensive zone so they don't draw any penalties. And the powerplay is humming along at 14%.

4. The offensive creativity of the players is nullified by focusing so much on defensive responsibilities.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
1. The defense is too heavily weighted toward shutting down the other team. They need another guy that is good at moving the puck. Otherwise you have the 5 d to d passes and the inevitable turnovers. Chara and Hamilton both handle the puck pretty well. The rest of the guys not so much.

2. The players aren't competing that hard. The Bruins have been outskated, outworked, and outhit many times this year.

3. They don't attack with speed and they are stuck on the perimeter in the offensive zone so they don't draw any penalties. And the powerplay is humming along at 14%.

4. The offensive creativity of the players is nullified by focusing so much on defensive responsibilities.
Calling BS on the last one, this team, under the exact same Julien system, has had little trouble scoring when moving their feet in years gone by, if not mistaken, a top 5 team in scoring a few times.

Long known fact, solid D, leads to puck possession which leads to transition, once the boys have the puck and are attacking, I`m pretty sure Julien hasn`t instructed them to not be creative, not move their feet, not shoot the bloody puck, but only to attack but with the mindset that Defense is first

How many times have I watched this team have 2 players already moving outside of their zone when the puck wasn`t cleared?? Too many

Old
04-07-2013, 08:16 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Calling BS on the last one, this team, under the exact same Julien system, has had little trouble scoring when moving their feet in years gone by, if not mistaken, a top 5 team in scoring a few times.

Long known fact, solid D, leads to puck possession which leads to transition, one the boys have the puck and are attacking, I`m pretty sure Julien hasn`t instructed them to not be creative, not move their feet, not shoot the bloody puck, but only to attack but with the mindset that Defense is first

They are too stationary in the offensive zone and afraid to make a mistake. The whole team has no confidence offensively. If you watch Krejci play for the Czech Olympic team he looks much different than he does for the Bruins. Plus Seguin has a great offensive mind and skills but I don't think he is in a position to succeed to his fullest potential right now. This is the way it is when the coach stresses sticking to the defensive system all the time and after so much time here the players don't buy it.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:19 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadB View Post
Real easy, no identity..

The reason Lucic is a 6 million dollar player had nothing to do with his production and more to do with being the identity of this team. He hit hard, took on all comers, played with a chip on his shoulder and gave a blue worker effort every shift. He gave the bruins the identity of a hard to play against team. The team followed suit. As soon as he became a "scorer" the team emotional started to becoming indifferent in the way they play. Basically making it tougher to get mentally engaged in a game.

It can not be all pinned on Lucic though. Other players need to step up and be that identity guy. As you could see last night during that 6 on 4, there is no one that wants to be that guy on this team. This falls down to the captain as well. He should be screaming at his players on the bench, laying people out, stepping up and being a leader. He is playing like a follower as well. Its scary how complacent everyone is on this team.

So the question is when will they finally get emotional engaged, come out focus, and play with a chip on their shoulders again? The answer is when someone finally has had enough and finally steps up as a leader. Not for one shift, or one game. Someone that will do it consistently each game. Until then we are stuck with this team and its lack of identity.
The Habs are just a difficult style team for Lucic to play against. When he plays his game the reffs take him off the ice- see giving Plakanec a shove after getting slashed at. He knocked Emelin out of the game and helped set up Horton for a couple great chances. All things considered he didn't have a bad game last night. He needs to play with a little more confidence, and part of me wishes he'd take the Pronger approach- just take the penalties that go with your kind of play and eventually they'll stop calling them. As it is he's tentitive to go all out. Maybe a game or two on the third line would get him back to a straightforward game, but as it is he's one of the best two or three forwards that the team can ice right now.

Missing their #1 and #3 centers and losing 2-1 to one of the top teams in the league isn't neccisarily a cause for blowing anything up. Chia's been making changes in the last few weeks, it will be interesting to see what he does from here.

Jagr's been a sideshow to this point.

I just hope they get a handfull of games as a full roster before the playoffs to find their team game.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
They are too stationary in the offensive zone and afraid to make a mistake. The whole team has no confidence offensively. If you watch Krejci play for the Czech Olympic team he looks much different than he does for the Bruins. Plus Seguin has a great offensive mind and skills but I don't think he is in a position to succeed to his fullest potential right now. This is the way it is when the coach stresses sticking to the defensive system all the time and after so much time here the players don't buy it.
How is it that Segs isn`t in the position to succeed??? He was handed Bergy`s job and couldn`t win a faceoff, from Julien`s comments, wasn`t ready for what he`s been given and I sure haven`t read one comment saying otherwise. The kid has been very good on the wall and has improved his game in all 3 zones. I`m perfectly fine if Seguin never winds up as a centerman and no way you`ll have me say Julien hasn`t put him in a position to succeed

As for how Krejci plays when he represents his country??? Sorry, not even close to being the same, when he`s in that role, he`s playing with the elite of Czech

Old
04-07-2013, 08:24 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
The Habs are just a difficult style team for Lucic to play against. When he plays his game the reffs take him off the ice- see giving Plakanec a shove after getting slashed at. He knocked Emelin out of the game and helped set up Horton for a couple great chances. All things considered he didn't have a bad game last night. He needs to play with a little more confidence, and part of me wishes he'd take the Pronger approach- just take the penalties that go with your kind of play and eventually they'll stop calling them. As it is he's tentitive to go all out. Maybe a game or two on the third line would get him back to a straightforward game, but as it is he's one of the best two or three forwards that the team can ice right now.

Missing their #1 and #3 centers and losing 2-1 to one of the top teams in the league isn't neccisarily a cause for blowing anything up. Chia's been making changes in the last few weeks, it will be interesting to see what he does from here.

Jagr's been a sideshow to this point.

I just hope they get a handfull of games as a full roster before the playoffs to find their team game.
Please Lucic was not given a penalty for "shoving " Plekanec. He legally knocked him down then
clearly cross checked him in the back of the head. Whether or not Plekenec slashed him earlier
or "sold " the cross check, Lucic 100% deserved the penalty. Take off your Homer glasses. No one else other than Boston homers would say it wasn't a penalty.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
How is it that Segs isn`t in the position to succeed??? He was handed Bergy`s job and couldn`t win a faceoff, from Julien`s comments, wasn`t ready for what he`s been given and I sure haven`t read one comment saying otherwise. The kid has been very good on the wall and has improved his game in all 3 zones. I`m perfectly fine if Seguin never winds up as a centerman and no way you`ll have me say Julien hasn`t put him in a position to succeed

As for how Krejci plays when he represents his country??? Sorry, not even close to being the same, when he`s in that role, he`s playing with the elite of Czech

To get the most out of Seguin the Bruins need to take advantage of his speed and the style of play the Bruins have doesn't allow that.

You could go three games in a row without seeing a single 2 on 1 in the Bruins favor.

And Krejci played really well with Fleischmann in Vancouver and Fleischmann is a 20 goal guy.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:32 AM
C77

The Bruins scoring issues are pretty much like the Rangers who have had the players to score more goals but haven't been able to. Coaches like Julien and Tortorella want to control everything with defensive-focused hockey and the offense suffers for it which leaves the Bruins with no margin for error.

When they get in the playoffs and can only score 2 goals a game it's not good enough because you can't count on winning a shoot-out that doesn't exist. I hope that will change with Bergeron + Kelly back.

And as far as Seguin goes....A guy with that amount of offensive talent should be getting 20 minutes a night especially when the team is struggling to score. He has the talent level to be able to carry a team offensively for a period of time. I wasn't referring to him not succeeding at the center position. There are too many games when Julien is only playing him 16 minutes.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
stick9

Plain and simple, expectations.

Winning raises expectations at times to unrealistic levels. This team would need to be near perfect for people to be satisfied.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileusa View Post
I have thought about goalie issues, injured players, Thornton getting clocked, attitude, effort, desire, contracts, coaches, low scoring, etc...

But what is(are) the REAL reason(s)??

I have been a fan for 30 years all in Mobile, Alabama
and have never felt like I have this year. It's frustrating
Its all of the above. There is no single reason out there. They're still playing well, ust not as well as they could. I got faith they'll get their **** together. You saw glimpses of how good they can be in that 6-5 loss to the habs, but you also saw how frustrating it can be.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:47 AM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
Plain and simple, expectations.

Winning raises expectations at times to unrealistic levels. This team would need to be near perfect for people to be satisfied.
I wish it was that simple. However aside from Bergeron and his injury you have important players just mailing too many efforts in.

In addition you had some pretty dreadful HS level TO last night. Chara, Ference, Bartkowski and Lucic all had brutal communion level TO in the game.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Duguay2

Look, I understand the whole superfan thing, but there is no other way but to be pragmatic about this.

I agree this team has been lacking, and I think we all understand that a very busy, condensed March had something to do with it. Also, facing the first serious injury of the season -- piled onto that.

Kellys injury unsettled a couple of lines and hurt possession play.

Peaking too early and hitting a malaise in late April is a much worse affliction IMO.

At the end of all that -- here's the good News;

*11 games left to get healthy and get in good rhythm
*Winning % as nearly as good as it was in the Stanley Cup Season

(points in over 70% of games played in both seasons)

I remind you of a very rough February in that season when this team lost 4 in a row including an 8-6 loss to the very same Montreal Canadiens.

Many people here had to be talked off the ledge.

People forget, and the media looking to quench the thirst of the Super-Fan over magnifies; resulting in mass hysteria if *everything* doesn't go according to perfect.

It is unreasonable.

I know this;

This team has just as good a chance as ANY to walk away with another Stanley Cup this season.

Go ahead and argue this point with me. That may be fun. Only time will tell if this is the team we saw earlier this year, or as of late. They have the potential for either, either or, or a combo of both.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duguay2 View Post
Look, I understand the whole superfan thing, but there is no other way but to be pragmatic about this.

I agree this team has been lacking, and I think we all understand that a very busy, condensed March had something to do with it. Also, facing the first serious injury of the season -- piled onto that.

Kellys injury unsettled a couple of lines and hurt possession play.

Peaking too early and hitting a malaise in late April is a much worse affliction IMO.

At the end of all that -- here's the good News;

*11 games left to get healthy and get in good rhythm
*Winning % as nearly as good as it was in the Stanley Cup Season

(points in over 70% of games played in both seasons)

I remind you of a very rough February in that season when this team lost 4 in a row including an 8-6 loss to the very same Montreal Canadiens.

Many people here had to be talked off the ledge.

People forget, and the media looking to quench the thirst of the Super-Fan over magnifies; resulting in mass hysteria if *everything* doesn't go according to perfect.

It is unreasonable.

I know this;

This team has just as good a chance as ANY to walk away with another Stanley Cup this season.

Go ahead and argue this point with me. That may be fun. Only time will tell if this is the team we saw earlier this year, or as of late. They have the potential for either, either or, or a combo of both.
It will be something to see this roster with the addition of Bergeron, Kelly, the Yeti and McQUaid. Cant wait to see what they can do.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:08 AM
C77

It's about the players competing harder which they haven't done since that Vancouver game last year.

Look at Ottawa this year....No Karlsson, no Spezza, no Michalek,. Their leading scorers Turris and 38 year old defenseman Gonchar have 22 points and yet as a team they have only scored 9 fewer goals than Boston.

How else can this be explained except for hard work and Ottawa's players buying in?

This Bruins team has been largely blessed with good health this year compared to most teams.

There's a quote I recall by a famous coach something like "A good coach makes his team 10% better and a bad coach makes his team 25% worse."

The Bruins players too often aren't motivated and it's probably going to look like the Washington series unless they have someone that can motivate them.

Who on this Bruins team is exceeding expectations besides Rask/Khudobin?

Old
04-07-2013, 09:14 AM
GuinnRocks

Quote:

This. Especially first point, Chiarelli has built his D corps on overwhelmingly keeping puck out of their own net - eschewing offensive emphasis (which naturally leads to defensive risks by nature) to help get it into opposition's net.

Just how unbalanced are Habs defensemen's ability to score versus Bruins?

Here's a sobering stat line:
Points scored by Habs defenseman this year total: 100.
Points scored by Bruins defense: 59.

Absolutely pathetic.

What an advantage teams have playing Bruins knowing outside of Chara and a neophyte Hamilton, they can rest easy knowing The other 4 blue liners usually are zero threat to be a significant part of scoresheet, or attack.

This will be Chiarelli's downfall come Cup run.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
oreillyisgod
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Injured players...and not just the ones who are not on the ice.
agree, I think if the truth were known Marchand has been playing with a shoulder injury for the last couple of weeks. I'm always a little reluctant to criticize players in hockey and football for effort or miscues as you never know who is playing hurt. Its not like baseball where a guy hurts himself toweling off on the bench and goes on the disabled list....

Old
04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
1. Injuries

2. The fact that their #1 play making center is totally useless on the PP. They never replaced Savard's offense on the PP and it shows. Way too stationary and predictable.