HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Pukhogg

vCash: 500
Rychel always loved the american players. Look back at the history since they took ownership. We have tons of our own local talent from here into the southwest. I'm sure tbere will be a fire sale in the next 72 hrs or so. What about goaltending? I can't see another 16 year old backing up dekort over Kuchmey who is an Allstar in jr.B if they decide to trade pavelka or at least bring in another goalie. It will be an interesting camp to say the least.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:16 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
When you say it's strategic - as in blocking somebody else from getting him? Bushnell seems like he would have been a great fit here - Spits are really lacking size, especially up front.
No, trading for the second was strategic in order to get Moore. More is a 'AA' rated player, basically the best players in the draft have that attached to them.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:17 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
Rychel always loved the american players. Look back at the history since they took ownership. We have tons of our own local talent from here into the southwest. I'm sure tbere will be a fire sale in the next 72 hrs or so. What about goaltending? I can't see another 16 year old backing up dekort over Kuchmey who is an Allstar in jr.B if they decide to trade pavelka or at least bring in another goalie. It will be an interesting camp to say the least.
In looking at their history, I dont think drafting local is an issue, they always look at players in the area. Bigger issue is that the do so and pass up other players in doing so.

The best teams don't draft 'local' talent, just the best talent.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Pukhogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
In looking at their history, I dont think drafting local is an issue, they always look at players in the area. Bigger issue is that the do so and pass up other players in doing so.

The best teams don't draft 'local' talent, just the best talent.
I should of just said Canadian talent. The American talent always pose a risk of committing to US colleges or teams. You kind of wonder how Many US players were lured here with cash offers in the past?

Old
04-07-2013, 02:10 AM
OHLTG

I don't know who the scout was, but one of them was working his final draft.

Take this how you may - I don't believe the team intended on missing out on Bushnell or a couple of other kids. Don't forget, they were taken just before our picks.

The draft itself was VERY tiring for just about anyone in the rink today. There were a handful of us in the media room and by 3 or 4, we were breaking out in song and dance from fatigue I don't think anyone expected everything to last until 7pm.

Big props to the OHL for doing the first few rounds on the live telecast. That was impressive and a big help for us.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:28 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukhogg View Post
I think you're jumping the gun on the Firesale in the next 72 hrs or so. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I'd expect no trading will be allowed now until after the Memorial Cup.
WR won't be making any deals until he finds out for sure who gets the 2014 Memorial Cup. and then he has to be wary of the season ticket $$$$$$.

So next up for us is that MC announcement. He should be pulling out all the stops to get his #1 pick signed if for nothing else than to impress the MC evaluation people.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch1943 View Post
I think you're jumping the gun on the Firesale in the next 72 hrs or so. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken but I'd expect no trading will be allowed now until after the Memorial Cup.
WR won't be making any deals until he finds out for sure who gets the 2014 Memorial Cup. and then he has to be wary of the season ticket $$$$$$.

So next up for us is that MC announcement. He should be pulling out all the stops to get his #1 pick signed if for nothing else than to impress the MC evaluation people.
Who they sign now is irrelevant. The presentation was already made and that's what the committee is basing their decision on.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:49 AM
Hawks3

Does anyone know the quality of the goalies drafted? We need a starter and a backup that are consistent, I feel we lost alot of games mainly to goaltending. Can Kuchemy handle the main role?

Old
04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
KyGuy9

Think Oshawa would do this?

To us:
Altshuller and OA

To them:
Pavelka and Bowen + ?? Pick

That would definetely help our goaltending,
And Kuchmey can back him up. And we can deal DeLort for whatever value he still holds.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Hawks3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Think Oshawa would do this?

To us:
Altshuller and OA

To them:
Pavelka and Bowen + ?? Pick

That would definetely help our goaltending,
And Kuchmey can back him up. And we can deal DeLort for whatever value he still holds.
I like that having an expereinced goalie that can hold us in most games thats what we need for confidence, although I am hoping that Kuchemy should be able to hold us in as well.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:35 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Who they sign now is irrelevant. The presentation was already made and that's what the committee is basing their decision on.
The presentation was already made and that's what the committee is basing their decision on..

Really...in a perfect world perhaps. I'm guessing the OHL committee had their minds made up before the presentations but that being said and given the OHL's track record anything and everything is possible....

Old
04-07-2013, 08:51 AM
punch1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
Does anyone know the quality of the goalies drafted? We need a starter and a backup that are consistent, I feel we lost alot of games mainly to goaltending. Can Kuchemy handle the main role?
Of the goalies picked Johnston from Chatham is highly regarded BUT he wasn't the picked as the #1st goalie in the draft. Billington picked in the 14th rnd is the Spits goalie coach's son.
The person I talked to saw both at goalie camps and is high on Johnston.

As for the present goalies on the roster IMHO both will be elsewhere this coming season. Pavelka because of being O/A and an import, DeKort because it seems the Spits didn't have a lot of faith in him especially in the last half.

Kuchemy will be in the OHL next year ...not sure if it'll be with the Spits. If I had to guess I'd expect the Spits to trade for a 94 ( non - import goalie).

Old
04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
The scout u speak of says today was his last draft working for the Spits
Thats a big loss if so, always liked Rob.[/QUOTE]

Yes Rob Smith who worked the Michigan area for the Spits was well liked
by all,myself I have always enjoyed conversing with him
He is a retired Michigan State Trooper,who will be dong other hockey related stuff

Old
04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Libbs

Sorry but I don't understand the love for Kuchmey.

Yes he is a good Jr. B goalie... but has yet to ever play an OHL game. What exactly are people basing their high hopes that he will be some kind of spectacular OHL goalie?

Not to mention he'll be 19.

Pavelka will play at home in Europe when he's passed over in the NHL draft again. Dekort will be the starter for the team. Bank on it.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
The presentations will happen on April 17th, so a week and a half away yet.

I don't think we have a shot, but if WR could sign a couple American kids from past drafts over it would bolster the talent level of our team for that on-ice competitiveness argument.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Libbs

Quote:

I don't think we have a shot, but if WR could sign a couple American kids from past drafts over it would bolster the talent level of our team for that on-ice competitiveness argument.
I thought they had already made the presentations. But this is all assuming we weren't already ruled out of the running before the bids were even placed. I think the Johnson allegations was the final nail in the coffin.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Hawks3

Quote:

Yes he is a good Jr. B goalie... but has yet to ever play an OHL game. What exactly are people basing their high hopes that he will be some kind of spectacular OHL goalie?

Pavelka will play at home in Europe when he's passed over in the NHL draft again. Dekort will be the starter for the team. Bank on it.
If Dekort is our STARTER goodbye 2013/2014 season!!!!!!!!

Old
04-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Ottomatic

Rychel likes American kids because of our geographic advantage - American kids are not going to want to go, for the most part, into the smaller OHL cities in upper Ontario. So with that being the case he feels he can get American kids that only 3-4 other franchises could get.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
If Dekort is our STARTER goodbye 2013/2014 season!!!!!!!!
Yes... lets give up on a kid with limited OHL games played that is just finished growing into his large frame. He's only taking the path of a large majority of junior hockey goalies, but he sucks and should be traded for a bag of pucks.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-07-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
04-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Ottomatic

Quote:
I thought they had already made the presentations. But this is all assuming we weren't already ruled out of the running before the bids were even placed. I think the Johnson allegations was the final nail in the coffin.
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/03...-memorial-cup/

The three will make presentations to the selection committee April 17 in Toronto. A winner will be named in early May prior to this year’s tournament in Saskatchewan.

Now I agree completely that the Johnson charges end whatever faint hope we had. There is a lot of ugliness from that night (and the overall gongshow atmosphere of this team) that will come out in any trial.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
RayzorIsDull

Not sure what to think of the draft. You can make the case that their 1st rounder is too small and want more size but after this year they lacked everything. They lacked playmakers down the middle, they lacked talented big guys who could skate, win battles in the corner and ones that have a good release and score goals. I am not big on the idea of 2 D in the 3rd round I still think they are in desperate need of guys who can put the puck in the net. I believe a guy like Craievech could have been a guy to look at, terrific OHL Cup and playing injured while getting MVP is pretty impressive. From the sounds of it Rychel seems like he's given up on the Memorial Cup dream especially when he says there are spots available for their top 4 picks to play in Windsor. Warren must be shipping out some D to make room. As for losing a scout I hope it's because he's found a better opportunity and not due other issues. The offseason has already been long but there will be a lot of activity this offseason I think you can bank on it.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
From the sounds of it Rychel seems like he's given up on the Memorial Cup dream especially when he says there are spots available for their top 4 picks to play in Windsor. Warren must be shipping out some D to make room. As for losing a scout I hope it's because he's found a better opportunity and not due other issues. The offseason has already been long but there will be a lot of activity this offseason I think you can bank on it.
I think this must be true, it's the only logical explanation as to why he traded away future picks for additional picks this year. He can only sign 4 of those players for 2014 and they are lower picks even if they do so surely they can't be counted on to be key cogs on a Memorial Cup caliber team. Moreover, he can't trade any of the picks he made this year, but he could have traded the futures in the summer to bolster but now with only 3 seconds, 1 fourth and 1 fifth over the next three years his cupboards are bare and that's not much of an option. That is augmented by the fact they don't have a first in 2016, so he'll need some of these second rounders.

If I were bidding on the Mem Cup, I would have done the opposite...traded picks this season for futures next year, so that I would have extra picks to deal this summer for seasoned players to start 2013-14.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:55 PM
punch1943

Quote:

I wondered how I had missed the presentation talk as the Spits/Star would have jumped at the publicity angle. I agree that any US signings would not hurt our argument.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:12 PM
punch1943

Quote:

IMHO Kuchmey should have been the backup here this year. He looked better than DeKort in both this years camp and the year before. Will he be a spectacular OHL goalie...probably not but he has as good a chance of being a back up OHL goalie as does DeKort who has proven nothing.
The only reason I hope Pavelka plays in the OHL is that the Spits might get a return for him if he does come back to play elsewhere...
I can't bank on DeKort as next years starter but I do respect your optimism....

Old
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Libbs

With how piss poor the rest of the team is... goaltending isn't the biggest of their issues. Outside of Gibson or Binnington, no goalie would have done very well on last years Spits team.

Closed Thread