HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Game #37 St. Louis Blues @ Detroit Red Wings//The I'm not even gonna be awake edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
  #26
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Elliott in net today.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  #27
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 369
vCash: 50
Yeah, giving Elliott the start might not be a good idea. Hitch knows what he's doing though. I guess....

erderuft is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  #28
Fluff Master
Registered n00b
 
Fluff Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
I have to miss this one today as my sister has decided to make me an uncle this morning. Will be checking for updates on gamecenter. Go Blues, win this one for my new nephew.

Fluff Master is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  #29
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Where does it say Elliott is in net? I don't think I like that move.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:34 AM
  #30
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff Master View Post
I have to miss this one today as my sister has decided to make me an uncle this morning. Will be checking for updates on gamecenter. Go Blues, win this one for my new nephew.
Congrats! Make sure that boy becomes a Blues fan!

erderuft is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
  #31
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Elliott has been getting back on track and gaining confidence each game. I know it's an insane thought but what if the 95% of you who have utterly dismissed him as a piece of **** were comically overreacting to a single bad month as a Blue? It's kind of amazing that this thought isn't even discussed as a possibility around here, because there's a shiny new toy. Got some news for you guys, if you don't think Allen's ever going to struggle and look like crap for a similar stretch you haven't watched hockey long enough.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
  #32
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Where does it say Elliott is in net? I don't think I like that move.
Chris Kerber tweeted it.

erderuft is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:39 AM
  #33
Juusho
Registered User
 
Juusho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
European friendly starting time + Finnish commentary for the game will be nice but I'll probably miss the last period since Wrestlemania starts at 2am and I want to get a bit of sleep before that.

Juusho is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:40 AM
  #34
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,365
vCash: 500
Coulda told u elliott was gonna start. I mean he just helped us beat the hawks in CHICAGO...now that's something that doesn't happen often. Only reason allen started last game was because it was a back to back and i think hitch realized that unless it's pekka rinne, starting the same goalie on back to back nights isn't a good idea.

Anyway, this could be a very good thing to us. If elliott has another quality start and gets that confidence going, who know what we could do for the rest of the year/ playoffs. We could very well be the team who gets hot at the right time this year. Anyway glad that elliott is starting again, if he does **** the bed then obviously we should go with allen to the end. it would be way to late to re-build rebuilding elliotts confidence again.

STLBLUES44 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:42 AM
  #35
Fluff Master
Registered n00b
 
Fluff Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erderuft View Post
Congrats! Make sure that boy becomes a Blues fan!
That is top priority my friend, the very top. You guys enjoy the game, make it a winner!

Fluff Master is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  #36
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Elliott has been getting back on track and gaining confidence each game. I know it's an insane thought but what if the 95% of you who have utterly dismissed him as a piece of **** were comically overreacting to a single bad month as a Blue? It's kind of amazing that this thought isn't even discussed as a possibility around here, because there's a shiny new toy. Got some news for you guys, if you don't think Allen's ever going to struggle and look like crap for a similar stretch you haven't watched hockey long enough.
What do you expect, this board has gone beyond overboard at times this season.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:46 AM
  #37
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Elliott has been getting back on track and gaining confidence each game. I know it's an insane thought but what if the 95% of you who have utterly dismissed him as a piece of **** were comically overreacting to a single bad month as a Blue? It's kind of amazing that this thought isn't even discussed as a possibility around here, because there's a shiny new toy. Got some news for you guys, if you don't think Allen's ever going to struggle and look like crap for a similar stretch you haven't watched hockey long enough.
I'm rooting for the guy to get back to last season's form, but a single month? I don't know, to me he started to play piss poor in last season's playoffs. I hope he wins this game though. A confident winning Elliott would be just what this team needs.

erderuft is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:52 AM
  #38
Thallis
We suck again!
 
Thallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Elliott has been getting back on track and gaining confidence each game. I know it's an insane thought but what if the 95% of you who have utterly dismissed him as a piece of **** were comically overreacting to a single bad month as a Blue? It's kind of amazing that this thought isn't even discussed as a possibility around here, because there's a shiny new toy. Got some news for you guys, if you don't think Allen's ever going to struggle and look like crap for a similar stretch you haven't watched hockey long enough.
The main reason is Elliott has been bad far more than he's been lights out in his career. Most figured (or still do) that this was regression to the mean.

Thallis is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:53 AM
  #39
danglzzz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
I have no problem starting Elliott today, thought he was solid in his last game. I will say that if he plays poorly today, it will make it really tough to not support Allen as the #1 going forward.

danglzzz is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:56 AM
  #40
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,722
vCash: 50
I just don't understand why people feel like they have to pick one or the other, why can't people just want the best for all of our goalies?

I was apart of a Chelsea board, but left after it was just obnoxious between the Torres fans and the Anti-Torres posters.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
  #41
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 6,633
vCash: 50
Allen just won us that game against Columbus. Best player on the ice and it wasn't even remotely close. Elliott was good enough in Chicago to get the win, but why not reward the kid for putting up such a great performance in a big game?

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 10:59 AM
  #42
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,722
vCash: 50
With the road trip we are on, both of them will get plenty of opportunities and this keeps them as fresh as possible. Allen is already closing in on the most minutes that he has played professionally, it's not like he is a work-horse yet.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:00 AM
  #43
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,267
vCash: 50
I thought Allen played better in his last game than Elliott did, but Elliott was facing a far better team.

I prefer Allen myself, but I don't think starting Elliott is a death sentence either.

Dolph Ziggler is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:01 AM
  #44
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I just don't understand why people feel like they have to pick one or the other, why can't people just want the best for all of our goalies?

I was apart of a Chelsea board, but left after it was just obnoxious between the Torres fans and the Anti-Torres posters.
There's nothing wrong with having a preference of who someone wanted to start today. It's not like people are getting out the pitchforks because Elliott is in, it's just an opinion. If anything I'd say P9's post was a little overboard. I'm fine with Elliott, but people have a perfectly good reason to be nervous with him in net. I hope he's on the right track but two games doesn't erase how awful he was earlier in the season. It's just wanting the best for the team so we have to wait and see.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
  #45
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Don't get me wrong, I want the best performer to play. And of course, if he looks like crap today, well, Allen moves ahead of him.

As far as regression to the mean, yeah I understand that line of thinking, but what I don't understand is how anyone could watch what we watched last year and utterly dismiss it like it never happened. "The mean" of how a young goalie struggled in the NHL at age 24/25 for other teams in other situations isn't that persuasive to me, to be honest. It's a data point but it's not as important as when a goalie starts getting into his late 20s early 30s. Confidence is the key for goalies, and confidence and personal maturity are interrelated. This is why it's so absurd to draft a goalie in the first round when he's 18.

The guy was truly All-Star level last year for our favorite team. He struggles out of the gate without having played during the lockout and a venting hatred with an edge gets directed his way. Crazy. The guy clearly has talent, just as Halak and Allen have talent.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:06 AM
  #46
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
There's nothing wrong with having a preference of who someone wanted to start today. It's not like people are getting out the pitchforks because Elliott is in, it's just an opinion. If anything I'd say P9's post was a little overboard. I'm fine with Elliott, but people have a perfectly good reason to be nervous with him in net. I hope he's on the right track but two games doesn't erase how awful he was earlier in the season. It's just wanting the best for the team so we have to wait and see.
Elliott has probably been granted the smallest amount of error margin by this fanbase of any Blues player that I can remember in my lifetime.

PocketNines is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:08 AM
  #47
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Elliott has probably been granted the smallest amount of error margin by this fanbase of any Blues player that I can remember in my lifetime.
Well that's subjective so I won't debate that, but like I said, people are nervous about him for very good reason. He's been fighting the puck all year. For me personally, I will never forget what he did last year, it was great. But when it comes to this season's momentum and need for wins right now, what happened last season doesn't carry much weight, and that goes for any player. That's all. I hope Elliott does well, I like him.

In other news, Mrs. Teletubby Riley Sheahan is in the lineup for Detroit.

BlueDream is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
  #48
erderuft
Registered User
 
erderuft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Borås, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 369
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Elliott has probably been granted the smallest amount of error margin by this fanbase of any Blues player that I can remember in my lifetime.
That's probably true. Captain Roboto was another.

erderuft is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
  #49
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 19,722
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
There's nothing wrong with having a preference of who someone wanted to start today. It's not like people are getting out the pitchforks because Elliott is in, it's just an opinion. If anything I'd say P9's post was a little overboard. I'm fine with Elliott, but people have a perfectly good reason to be nervous with him in net. I hope he's on the right track but two games doesn't erase how awful he was earlier in the season. It's just wanting the best for the team so we have to wait and see.
I've had his opinion for awhile and it stems from multiple threads overtime. Bashing has been way up this season, sometimes it is deserved, but others it isn't.

Elliott's main problem this season has been rebound control. It's not like he was flat out missing saves like Osgood would miss high shots. Rebound control has a lot to do with confidence and mechanics. Relatively easy fixes if rebounds weren't a problem in the past and with us they weren't. In his past 2 games, they haven't been either. Yet people posting about his change in play.

I guess it just bugs me about posters that they will only talk about a player if it's negative and not follow it up with something good if the player starts to do better. A trend that has been more prevalent this season.

I'm negative on Perron, but the past few games he has been a lot better. He still hasn't been scoring, but his play has definitely improved. Regular posters that were negative on Stewart last season, myself included have come around as well. I'm not saying Elliott is back, I just wish some people would realize this Elliott is not the same Elliott that sucked.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
04-07-2013, 11:11 AM
  #50
Thallis
We suck again!
 
Thallis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Behind Blue Eyes
Country: United States
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Don't get me wrong, I want the best performer to play. And of course, if he looks like crap today, well, Allen moves ahead of him.

As far as regression to the mean, yeah I understand that line of thinking, but what I don't understand is how anyone could watch what we watched last year and utterly dismiss it like it never happened. "The mean" of how a young goalie struggled in the NHL at age 24/25 for other teams in other situations isn't that persuasive to me, to be honest. It's a data point but it's not as important as when a goalie starts getting into his late 20s early 30s. Confidence is the key for goalies, and confidence and personal maturity are interrelated. This is why it's so absurd to draft a goalie in the first round when he's 18.

The guy was truly All-Star level last year for our favorite team. He struggles out of the gate without having played during the lockout and a venting hatred with an edge gets directed his way. Crazy. The guy clearly has talent, just as Halak and Allen have talent.
The big thing for me is that last year wasn't the first time Elliot had played like that. There was a point when he was in Ottawa that he went on an absurd run as their starter and won something like 20 games in a row, and Ottawa secured the 4 spot that year. He then fell apart in the playoffs (which had a lot to do with Crosby) and wasn't the same until last year, where he did similarly. The problem is at this point, we can't be sure he's back. He's played two solid games in a row now, but it remains to be seen if he'll continue to play like that, given the quality of his other starts this year. I'm very worried that this will blow up in our face. I'm also just not convinced that either of our goalies were all that great last year, with the way our team played. Obviously, he set records, so he was definitely a good netminder, but the shot quality and quantity on both goals gave them plenty of very easy nights for goalies. The defense in total hasn't been quite as good this year, but both goalies have given up way more softies as well.

Thallis is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.