HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[MTL/LA] Drewiske to MTL for 5th round pick '13

Old
04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallySquared View Post
I was not an O'Byrne fan ever... and apparently neither are some of the Avs fans.. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394473.
I'll take Drew.
My favourite post from that thread (other than thank God he's gone) is :

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
The Ryan O'Byrne Hattrick
1. Watching people score.
2. Playing half of the game without a stick and with a purse.
3. Jumping into the rush losing the puck instantly.

Goodbye Big Sexy.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:13 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
my dead grandmother knows more about hockey than him

Love your name btw, that's awesome. Are you a physicist?
No lol. I just had an inspiration all of a sudden reading a tweet from Bozon, and for some reason that idea popped in my mind

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallySquared View Post
I was not an O'Byrne fan ever... and apparently neither are some of the Avs fans.. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1394473.
I'll take Drew.
I don't know how anyone who watches O'Byrne play hockey could be a fan.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but not a hockey player.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 06:27 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Crock. You the first man back, you take the puck carrier, and the goalie should be yelling directions to the rest, and you.

There is no time to 'choose between risks' in a down ice fast play. You take the man.
So this seems to imply you want the first man back to go after the puck carrier, correct? Why would Drewiske take the puck carrier when Boullion was clearly covering him?

OK, maybe not the puck carrier then. I've gotta protect the net. How about the guy who was driving the middle lane then? Damn, he's already covered by Galchenyuk.

OK, who else. Looking to his right, he sees a guy that is clearly wide open heading straight for the net. A guy that no one had picked up on the backcheck.

Why the hell WOULDN'T he cover him? Why the hell would he simply point at him when no one else was looking then proceed to box out the player who was already tied up by the center? What is the point of covering "your" man if he is already covered, leaving someone else wide open in the process?

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

I do not regret the loss of O'Byrne, contrary to the nostalgia of some Hab fans. There are loads of comparable 5-6 Dmen, including Drewiske, a minor but useful addition.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Fat Elvis

So how has 44DD looked so far? Most of us Kings fans are rooting for the guy. Good to see him get a chance.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Tyson

44DD has played very well. Kings must be really deep at D that he barely played.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
So how has 44DD looked so far? Most of us Kings fans are rooting for the guy. Good to see him get a chance.
Last night was his baptism by fire.

I was always a huge Drewiske fan (acquired him in my sim league this summer, and now I am pretty pumped he got traded to the Habs), and I knew he could perform if he was given a little more ice time.

He was just stuck behind your amazing D depth.

Anyways, he played well, blocked several shots and constantly made smart plays. Plus he was used on his off side, which must have been a challenge.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
With Emelin out, I wonder if Drewiske will have to play a bigger role? I like what he's brought to the table so far. Ideally, I'd like Montreal to sign a defenseman with more upside going into next season, but as a stop-gap, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on the cheap for another season.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I'd like for him to be a bit more physical, but that really isn't part of his game.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
44DD has played very well. Kings must be really deep at D that he barely played.
Well, for his role he was just unlucky I think. Last year our defense barely ever missed a game and he was not likely to play over Mitchell, Scuderi and Greene. This season he started more often and played well. But again, it was a numbers game with him sitting and then getting RR from Buff made his spot redundant.

But it's hard to find a Kings fan who didn't like the guy.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I'd like for him to be a bit more physical, but that really isn't part of his game.

No, not really. But he's not a wall flower either. Just not very nasty.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:55 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Drewiske > Bouillon. Boggles my mind as to why we signed 51 to an extension so quickly.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Drewiske > Bouillon. Boggles my mind as to why we signed 51 to an extension so quickly.
Umm no

As solid as Drewiske has looked, he hasn't been better than Bouillon. Bouillon has been awesomely steady and efficient. At 1.5 mil he is a cap bargain.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:09 AM
LeMAD

Not too impressed by the guy so far. He's cought out of position way too often. I would prefer to see Tinordi or Kaberle in the lineup instead of him (though he might just be nervous or not used to a new system).

But so far he hasn't showed he could be used as a regular dman.

And he's certainly not as good as Bouillon, who would be good enough to play on the top-4 on a lot of teams. I don't get what some people have against Bouillon. Is it because he speaks french?

LeMAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Not too impressed by the guy so far. He's cought out of position way too often. I would prefer to see Tinordi or Kaberle in the lineup instead of him (though he might just be nervous or not used to a new system).

And he's certainly not as good as Bouillon, who would be good enough to play on the top-4 on a lot of teams. I don't get what some people have against Bouillon. Is it because he speaks french?

yes, it's obviously because he speaks French.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Go Habs Go

Quote:

I somewhat agree with Bouillon. He is a very decent player and doesn't get the appreciation he deserves but if he were in the top 4, his flaws or deficiencies would be more clear and more pronounced. I'd rather they not use him to his full potential then overplay him. Bit of a tweener. This way he becomes a strong 3rd pairing d instead of a weak 2nd pairing d.

Go Habs Go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Nitehowl

I hope MB gives DD a contract for next year. I think he is the perfect #6/#7 dman to ha ve on a roster. A team first type guy with some size who plays a solid if unspectacular game. Better to let the kids develop in Hamilton

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:04 PM
niftymove

didnt impress me that much neither.

Saw him a few times out of position. i found he has a tendency to go to the left side to help the other D, leaving a whole lot of space free for the opponents on his own side.

Weird, i dont remember our three recent rookies (pateryn, tinordi and even beaulieu) doin such big mistakes

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
zzoo

So far, he's average, at best.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:33 PM
sonnytheman

I don't know, the guy just played almost 24 minutes against the Bruins (Bouillon played 17 minutes). I'm not sure how anyone can not be impressed by that, especially for a #6 d-man who cost a 5th round pick.

sonnytheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

I disagree. I think 44DD needs a certain time to adapt to this team, and also get used to playing more. The guy was used for 23min last game, he hasn't seen over 20min in a game since 2010. Give him some time.
But overall, I think he's been pretty good. He usually takes simple decisions, and moves the puck out effectively.
I'm sure he'll keep improving.

As for Bouillon, put him in a #4 position and he'd struggle. As a 6th Dman, he's done a good job.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
didnt impress me that much neither.

Saw him a few times out of position. i found he has a tendency to go to the left side to help the other D, leaving a whole lot of space free for the opponents on his own side.

Weird, i dont remember our three recent rookies (pateryn, tinordi and even beaulieu) doin such big mistakes
Emelin does that very often too. It's not uncommon for Dmen used on their off wing to chase Dman back to their natural side.
We'll see if he's able to adapt better.

With Emelin hurt however, I would like to see him back on his natural side with PK on the right. Put Gorges on the right of Markov.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Andy

Drewiske plays a type of game that is hard to appreciate or be impressed by. He's very quiet back there, but solid. He won't rush the puck, he won't make a big hit, but he knows where to be on the ice and can break up plays with an active stick and some good calm board work.

He plays an extremely simple game.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Drewiske plays a type of game that is hard to appreciate or be impressed by. He's very quiet back there, but solid. He won't rush the puck, he won't make a big hit, but he knows where to be on the ice and can break up plays with an active stick and some good calm board work.

He plays an extremely simple game.
The Habs made good use of Hal Gill, who didn't make big hits or bring the puck up ice. Gill used his wingspread on the penalty kill but Drewiske is more mobile.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote