HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[SJ/NYR] Ryane Clowe to NYR for '13 2nd, '13 FLA 3rd, cond. 2nd

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #501
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
The Rangers really have little need for draft picks this or next season. They already have an incredible amount of rosters spots already filled by young players through good drafting or trades. It's just a matter of time until Lindberg, Fast, Kreider, McIlrath and Miller stick with the big club. They just dealt for Brassard, Dorsett and Moore. Three more young players. Clowe will be here for a while.

Nash, Stepan, Cally, Boyle, Hagelin, Clowe, Zuccarello, Dorsett, Brassard, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, MDZ and Moore.


Even if they buyout Richards, that only leaves 4 forwards spots open and 1 on defense. That's with Fast, Lindberg, Kreider, Miller, McIlrath and Thomas all close to making the team.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:01 PM
  #502
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
The Rangers really have little need for draft picks this or next season. They already have an incredible amount of rosters spots already filled by young players through good drafting or trades. It's just a matter of time until Lindberg, Fast, Kreider, McIlrath and Miller stick with the big club. They just dealt for Brassard, Dorsett and Moore. Three more young players. Clowe will be here for a while.

Nash, Stepan, Cally, Boyle, Hagelin, Clowe, Zuccarello, Dorsett, Brassard, Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, MDZ and Moore.


Even if they buyout Richards, that only leaves 4 forwards spots open and 1 on defense. That's with Fast, Lindberg, Kreider, Miller, McIlrath and Thomas all close to making the team.
Our only spot on the blue line next year is likely for a seventh defenseman, for which it would be good to have Steve Eminger in that role (Roman Hamrlik and Matt Gilroy have become afterthoughts with Torts choosing to play a much younger John Moore instead). The next spot in the Top 6 to open up would be then when Stralman is a UFA, and then after that when Staal is a UFA (presuming he leaves to join his brothers in Carolina).

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  #503
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Our only spot on the blue line next year is likely for a seventh defenseman, for which it would be good to have Steve Eminger in that role (Roman Hamrlik and Matt Gilroy have become afterthoughts with Torts choosing to play a much younger John Moore instead). The next spot in the Top 6 to open up would be then when Stralman is a UFA, and then after that when Staal is a UFA (presuming he leaves to join his brothers in Carolina).

Stralman has 0.00% of winning a starting job as the 6th defenseman next year over McIlrath. I think the Rangers would have called McIlrath up this season if they didn't acquire Moore. Stralman will be dealt for a mid round draft pick IMO during the off-season. Stralman can play for other teams. It makes no sense to keep him around as an extra. Emminger is the perfect 7th guy. If he doesn't play he doesn't whine. When he plays, he's not horrible and can hold his own over 10 minutes.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  #504
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Stralman has 0.00% of winning a starting job as the 6th defenseman next year over McIlrath. I think the Rangers would have called McIlrath up this season if they didn't acquire Moore. Stralman will be dealt for a mid round draft pick IMO during the off-season. Stralman can play for other teams. It makes no sense to keep him around as an extra. Emminger is the perfect 7th guy. If he doesn't play he doesn't whine. When he plays, he's not horrible and can hold his own over 10 minutes.
You could not be more wrong. Dylan has made progress this season but he is far - FAR - from guaranteed a spot in the NHL next season at any point, let alone right out of training camp.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  #505
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Stralman has 0.00% of winning a starting job as the 6th defenseman next year over McIlrath. I think the Rangers would have called McIlrath up this season if they didn't acquire Moore. Stralman will be dealt for a mid round draft pick IMO during the off-season. Stralman can play for other teams. It makes no sense to keep him around as an extra. Emminger is the perfect 7th guy. If he doesn't play he doesn't whine. When he plays, he's not horrible and can hold his own over 10 minutes.
Not to derail the thread, but don't the Rangers need a pp guy ? Sure McIlrath has a big shot, but he's not a pp guy.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:14 PM
  #506
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 21,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Stralman has 0.00% of winning a starting job as the 6th defenseman next year over McIlrath. I think the Rangers would have called McIlrath up this season if they didn't acquire Moore. Stralman will be dealt for a mid round draft pick IMO during the off-season. Stralman can play for other teams. It makes no sense to keep him around as an extra. Emminger is the perfect 7th guy. If he doesn't play he doesn't whine. When he plays, he's not horrible and can hold his own over 10 minutes.
Krieder and Miller this year are perfect examples as to why you can't hand a young player a job..

Stralman has been in our top 4 since Staal has been out, and hes filled in fine. He is very servicable and we are lucky to have him at such a cheap cap hit next season.

As for Clowe, he was never to replace Prust. If Clowe is Clowe, he is on a completley different level than Prust.

Dorsett is the Prust replacement, not Clowe.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:19 PM
  #507
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
You could not be more wrong. Dylan has made progress this season but he is far - FAR - from guaranteed a spot in the NHL next season at any point, let alone right out of training camp.
I repeat. He's a lock to get the spot next year. He brings everything the Rangers lack on their blueline. Torts made it quite clear at the trading deadline. The Rangers were soft, not tough enough, lacked grit and were hard to play against. Everything McIlrath is. I guarantee he is on the team next season.


The Rangers also don't need a PP defenseman. If you look around the league you will find that many of the top PP's don't have a big shot from the point. See the Flyers. They are great on the PP and their defenseman stink.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
  #508
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
In fact, it's a lot easier for a defenseman like McIlrath to break in the NHL than it is for a guy like MDZ or McDonagh. McIlrath doesn't have to worry about pinching in, when to rush up the ice, when to make long, risky HR passes. All he has to do is play his simple game. Punish people in front of the net. Hammer people along the boards. Make smart, safe, outlet passes.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:35 PM
  #509
Sticky Fingers
NYR
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Stralman has 0.00% of winning a starting job as the 6th defenseman next year over McIlrath. I think the Rangers would have called McIlrath up this season if they didn't acquire Moore. Stralman will be dealt for a mid round draft pick IMO during the off-season. Stralman can play for other teams. It makes no sense to keep him around as an extra. Emminger is the perfect 7th guy. If he doesn't play he doesn't whine. When he plays, he's not horrible and can hold his own over 10 minutes.
Big LOL. You have no idea if McIlrathh will be ready, and there have been absolutely no indications of him playing this year. I guess you pinned Kreider for +50 points this year and a spot on 1st/2nd line?
Hyping prospects never gets boring around here.

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:38 PM
  #510
TheRightWay
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
I repeat. He's a lock to get the spot next year. He brings everything the Rangers lack on their blueline. Torts made it quite clear at the trading deadline. The Rangers were soft, not tough enough, lacked grit and were hard to play against. Everything McIlrath is. I guarantee he is on the team next season.


The Rangers also don't need a PP defenseman. If you look around the league you will find that many of the top PP's don't have a big shot from the point. See the Flyers. They are great on the PP and their defenseman stink.
That's what McIlrath is in theory. They're not going to **** around with his development and bring him up too early just because he's tough. The team has played Matt Gilroy and Stu Bickel and claimed Roman Hamrlik off of waivers; do you really think that happens if management believes McIlrath is NHL ready right now?

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:52 PM
  #511
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
Big LOL. You have no idea if McIlrathh will be ready, and there have been absolutely no indications of him playing this year. I guess you pinned Kreider for +50 points this year and a spot on 1st/2nd line?
Hyping prospects never gets boring around here.
Actually, I do know that McIlrath will be ready. I said he will be ready next year for sure. I've watched him about 30 times this season. He looks every bit as ready as McDonagh did before he got called up. I compared those 2 at about the same amount of games.

I also was not a big fan of what Kreider did at BC. He was not as productive as he could have been. He is only now beginning to figure out how to play in the AHL. Kreider has a huge advantage that 90% of current speed prospects don't have. He's 225lbs and is a rocket. Big difference stopping guys that fast compared to guys 190 pounds. Kreider will eventually figure things out.

However, the biggest things McIlrath needed to work on were this in this order.

1. Discipline
2. Decision making
3. Using his skating and reach

He skates very well for a big man. However, he lacked the discipline to know when to use his size and hitting ability. He is now playing under control. He has stopped taking dumb penalties. He has learned to simplify his game. Honestly, there is little more a player like McIlrath can learn at the AHL level. He isn't playing against true power forwards down there which will give him a run for his money strength wise. That he will learn in the NHL.

One of the things I've seen on this board is that posters like Sticky make comments when they really haven't seen the player very much. They also don't know a lot about the league the player plays in. The AHL is pretty straight forward with players like McIlrath. At first, the goons all challenge a kid like him and then they did. Then the smaller forwards try to beat you all the time with speed and they tried that. Finally, players try to get under the skin of a player like McIlrath and they tried. Once he figured out how to deal with that, he learned all he can from the AHL.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:59 PM
  #512
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 21,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by setkreiderfree View Post
Actually, I do know that McIlrath will be ready. I said he will be ready next year for sure. I've watched him about 30 times this season. He looks every bit as ready as McDonagh did before he got called up. I compared those 2 at about the same amount of games.

I also was not a big fan of what Kreider did at BC. He was not as productive as he could have been. He is only now beginning to figure out how to play in the AHL. Kreider has a huge advantage that 90% of current speed prospects don't have. He's 225lbs and is a rocket. Big difference stopping guys that fast compared to guys 190 pounds. Kreider will eventually figure things out.

However, the biggest things McIlrath needed to work on were this in this order.

1. Discipline
2. Decision making
3. Using his skating and reach

He skates very well for a big man. However, he lacked the discipline to know when to use his size and hitting ability. He is now playing under control. He has stopped taking dumb penalties. He has learned to simplify his game. Honestly, there is little more a player like McIlrath can learn at the AHL level. He isn't playing against true power forwards down there which will give him a run for his money strength wise. That he will learn in the NHL.

One of the things I've seen on this board is that posters like Sticky make comments when they really haven't seen the player very much. They also don't know a lot about the league the player plays in. The AHL is pretty straight forward with players like McIlrath. At first, the goons all challenge a kid like him and then they did. Then the smaller forwards try to beat you all the time with speed and they tried that. Finally, players try to get under the skin of a player like McIlrath and they tried. Once he figured out how to deal with that, he learned all he can from the AHL.
Nobody is denying his potential. Kreider came up during the FREAKIN nhl playoffs and scored FIVE goals.. he was penciled in.. and rightyfully so because I thought he'd be in our top 6 this year but it didn't happen.

Its never a sure thing. You want to get rid of Stralman and then what if he isn't ready? Stralman is one of the best values in the league at his cap hit.

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:00 PM
  #513
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Clowe still look as good as before? Haven't watched the last two Rags games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not to derail the thread, but don't the Rangers need a pp guy ? Sure McIlrath has a big shot, but he's not a pp guy.
If they just made the smart move and drafted Cam Fowler...

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #514
richardsequalscup*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
I'm glad the poster above said this. Here is my opinion on Fowler. He's not good. Quite honestly, he's been a bust up until this point and should be in the AHL. He was rushed. What I have seen with Ducks fans on Fowler is this. They have lowered their expectations so much on Fowler in order to make excuses for him that they believe he's decent. Honestly, he's not.

Fowler was drafted for his offensive ability. He has shown little to no offensive ability in his time at the NHL level. He's also soft. When the games get mean, I don't much confidence in a Fowler. The Ducks fans will say he's getting better and better. That's mostly because their expectations are so absurdly low for him, when he makes one or two good plays, they are giddy. Not writing the kid off but forwards like Crosby, Toews, Ovechkin, Hall, ect... are not going to be worried about Cam Fowler. They do worry about defenseman types like S. Stevens, Phaneuf, ect... who can knock their head off in open ice. That is what McIlrath does well.

Stralman was playing terrible hockey a couple of weeks ago. He reminds a little of Rosival. Inconsistent. I see no reason to keep him around as a 7th defenseman if you could get a mid round pick for him.


Last edited by richardsequalscup*: 04-07-2013 at 01:17 PM.
richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:23 PM
  #515
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe still look as good as before? Haven't watched the last two Rags games



If they just made the smart move and drafted Cam Fowler...
Cam the Bust Fowler?

No thanks.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:45 PM
  #516
Miz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Cam the Bust Fowler?

No thanks.
Um....do you watch hockey?

Miz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:53 PM
  #517
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe still look as good as before? Haven't watched the last two Rags games



If they just made the smart move and drafted Cam Fowler...
Cam is not fixing the Ranger PP.

It's a systemic issue, not a personel issue.

Rangers have puck moving skating defenceman. What they DO not have is that bruiser that can take a regular shift and Dylan answers that more than Cam does.

If there was a guy the Rangers should have taken instead of McIlrath it's Tarasenko not Folwer.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.