HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu sent down to Hamilton (April 18th, 2013)

Old
04-03-2013, 01:49 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'd give Tinordi a 7/10, otherwise we agree.

Beaulieu's Wisniewski comparison is interesting. I know Beaulieu's got great puck-moving ability, but does he have that booming slapshot that Wiz brought?
He has a pretty good shot, but he's much more mobile, and less physical than Wisniewski. Not the best comparison IMO.

I'm not the best at comparisons, but Beaulieu has the same assets Leddy had at the same age. Very quick skaters, weak physically, good on transition, and lots of offensive potential. Work on progress defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
I saw highlights of him with the Bulldogs and he looks like a rover out there. I see him as a Jake Gardiner style player - always skating, handling the puck. Hopefully his positioning and decision making continues to improve.
I'd say that's pretty bang on.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Sam I Am

It seems I'm alone in my opinion but Beaulieu's 2-game tryout confirmed he is really not ready for prime time. He was overwhelmed in the defensive zone repeatedly, attacking forwards tossed him aside with ease. The kid is only 19 and his offensive and skating skills are obvious but at this point he is a far cry from being an NHL defenceman.

It is true that Beaulieu was less sheltered by Therrien. Unlike Patteryn and Tinordi, Beaulieu was thrown out there against some pretty stiff oppostion. Nonetheless, the other two rookies were far less conspicuous in their debuts, a good thing.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:03 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It seems I'm alone in my opinion but Beaulieu's 2-game tryout confirmed he is really not ready for prime time. He was overwhelmed in the defensive zone repeatedly, attacking forwards tossed him aside with ease. The kid is only 19 and his offensive and skating skills are obvious but at this point he is a far cry from being an NHL defenceman.

It is true that Beaulieu was less sheltered by Therrien. Unlike Patteryn and Tinordi, Beaulieu was thrown out there against some pretty stiff oppostion. Nonetheless, the other two rookies were far less conspicuous in their debuts, a good thing.
He definitely needs to add more strength but he was very good in his own end. He will be a solid two-way D at the next level when he's ready.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 07:08 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Just curious about the comparison's to Wiz -- does Nathan have even remotely the shot that Wiz does? That stuff is pure power. He's the guy I would have wanted to pick up if his cap hit wasn't so high. Then again, he IS a solid roster player if we acquired him for a couple of years. I'm sure we could make space. Sorry, veering off into what belongs in the other thread.
He's not even close to being Wisniewski, terrible comparison.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
hockeyjockey

Beaulieu's best comparison would be Caps' Mike green...

hockeyjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:14 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post

I agree, but I think the skill is definitely there for him to progress in a top dman in this league. Hopefully these two games showed him what to expect in the big leagues and he now knows what to work on to be able to compete here. He will definitely need to get stronger, but that is true for most if not all 19 year old dmen. I have high expectations for him and Tinordi in the long run.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
TennisMenace

Glad all 3 got a taste and don't have to be rushed up.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
Beaulieu's best comparison would be Caps' Mike green...
Yes and no. Beaulieu's defense is better at 20 than Green was until last year. I think once he fills out he can be above average at both ends, size reach and hockey sense can help him be an above average defender and on offense I think he has 40-60 point upside depending how he develops. His main weakness right now is he has a large frame that's not filled out, plus he needs to keep learning about NHL level defensive play, in junior he relied a lot of his individual skills. Reminds me a lot of Yandle.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Interesting stats breakdown...

Oct: 6 GP 0-0-0
Nov: 10 GP 0-2-2
Dec: 14 GP 2-8-10
Jan: 10 GP 0-1-1
Feb: 12 GP 4-1-5
Mar: 10 GP 0-7-7
April: 1 GP 1-1-2

Before Dec 1st 16 GP 0-2-2
Since Dec 1st: 47 GP 7-18-25

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:14 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Called up.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:16 PM
pine

vCash: 50
Called up.

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Nedved

Called up.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Called up.
Good call!

Gorges Subban

Markov Bouillon

Beaulieu Whiskey

each pair has an offensive guy and a stay at home guy

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Wow...so they are really done with Kaberle and Weber. And St-Denis is clearly done as a Hab as well. St-Denis will be out next year that's a gimme. Pretty young defensive squad in Hamilton next year as you almost lose your only vet.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:21 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Davis bumped up one pairing, Beaulieu slots in at #6 until Diaz returns. When Diaz is back, Whiskey takes one step back and Diaz fills in the #3-4 slot I reckon

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wow...so they are really done with Kaberle and Weber. And St-Denis is clearly done as a Hab as well. St-Denis will be out next year that's a gimme. Pretty young defensive squad in Hamilton next year as you almost lose your only vet.
Losing him does/ will suck, but he's not very good to begin with.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Called up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Called up.
J to the esus, you guys are fast.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:25 PM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
St-Denis sucks.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Losing/giving up Weber in a trade for nothing will suck.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I didn't see him nor concentrated on him this year, does seem that he struggled. But he was really fine when he was called up last year. Nothing extraordinairy, I know. Not a big loss at the NHL level. My point was more about how we need to be better in the farm. This BS about learning despite the record is just that...BS. We have to be better next year. We have to improve and improve in a better atmosphere than a losing one. So St-Denis, at the AHL level, was still a vet. You need vets in this league too. So lose St-Denis all you want. But go get 1 or 2 vets to play as a D EVEN if it means sending 1 or 2 kids in Wheeling. They'd learn more to play there often than to be healthy scratch in Hamilton or to play on such a young squad that they again don't win that much next year as well.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
pine

Quote:
I didn't see him nor concentrated on him this year, does seem that he struggled. But he was really fine when he was called up last year. Nothing extraordinairy, I know. Not a big loss at the NHL level. My point was more about how we need to be better in the farm. This BS about learning despite the record is just that...BS. We have to be better next year. We have to improve and improve in a better atmosphere than a losing one. So St-Denis, at the AHL level, was still a vet. You need vets in this league too. So lose St-Denis all you want. But go get 1 or 2 vets to play as a D EVEN if it means sending 1 or 2 kids in Wheeling. They'd learn more to play there often than to be healthy scratch in Hamilton or to play on such a young squad that they again don't win that much next year as well.
They need a go-to veteran AHLer forward, like an Alexandre Giroux, Keith Aucoin or something.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
At this point, while I'm not Weber's biggest fan, we have to at least get a 5th, 6th, 7th rounder for him. The kid still didn't get really a fair chance. He could develop better elsewhere. Will never be dominant. But could be enough to be a #6 in this league. That alone deserves a bottom pick. I hope we work our magic to accomodate him and himself. We don't have a 5th rounder this year...let's go and get one.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Meh it's nothing i would lose too much sleep over.

I expect Bergevin to be pretty active this summer to get us some veteran depth. We have our top 6 signed for next year, so i'd expect 1 NHL vet signed (Drewiskie if he continues to impress) and probably one AHL vet that could maybe called up in a pinch. Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn in the AHL but ready to come up if need be.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
They need a go-to veteran AHLer forward, like an Alexandre Giroux, Keith Aucoin or something.
Yes. That too. Though, they'll probably sign Tenute again. But those types of guys would really be fine as well.

Old
04-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Craig71

They must like what they saw from Beaulieu more than Tinordi. It will be interesting to see how the kid will do with bigger minutes and more pressure. I would also expect that maybe Kaberle will play as well, there is no way that he sits and Beaulieu gets all the playing time.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote