HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I actually "loled" at signing the Sedins. Well played.

03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
The Giroux Coup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post

Sign the Sedins from UFA status.

Now we really are the city of brotherly love.
Don't forget to trade for Kessel too

Old
03-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Jumping

I was sitting here and wondering what the organization would do - not what I would do to be very clear - and I thought - Leino is probably going to a buy out. Horrible contract, wealthy owner, disappointing team (Flyers north) and I thought, "my goodness, this guy is everything the Flyers ever do"... ex Flyer who had success... would Homer think, I could re-unite him with Briere and Hartnell and catch lightening in a bottle again(this assumes Lavvy has left the organization and is now coaching USA Hockey). He would not cost much and might be interested to be here since he succeeded once before and he could make Briere whole again.
Is this the Cheetos talking or is this a remote possibility?

Oh and by the way, I vote for trading the Schenn's. But I tend to be the typical impatient Flyer fan.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I was sitting here and wondering what the organization would do - not what I would do to be very clear - and I thought - Leino is probably going to a buy out. Horrible contract, wealthy owner, disappointing team (Flyers north) and I thought, "my goodness, this guy is everything the Flyers ever do"... ex Flyer who had success... would Homer think, I could re-unite him with Briere and Hartnell and catch lightening in a bottle again(this assumes Lavvy has left the organization and is now coaching USA Hockey). He would not cost much and might be interested to be here since he succeeded once before and he could make Briere whole again.
Is this the Cheetos talking or is this a remote possibility?

Oh and by the way, I vote for trading the Schenn's. But I tend to be the typical impatient Flyer fan.
I'd rather have some of those Cheetos you speak of than Ville Leino.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:44 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Number 28 View Post
I think you need to look more carefully at the numbers in TB. They are at the bottom of the league with us but still posted a points differential of +6. They lost a lot of 1 goal games.

I wouldn't mind Dallas Eakins though.
They lost a lot of 1 goal games because they cannot score in that system. With one of the most offensively talented rosters in the game.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:04 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
They lost a lot of 1 goal games because they cannot score in that system. With one of the most offensively talented rosters in the game.
Uh... about that... they're 3rd in the NHL in goals per game...

Old
03-29-2013, 02:27 AM
BillDineen

Right now this is what I want (buyout Bryz next year):

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Michael Ryder ($4.500m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Bryan Bickell ($3.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.700m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Seth Jones ($3.775m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.925m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Anton Khudobin ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,639,167; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,673,333

Old
03-29-2013, 06:11 AM
potsiev2

the plan: buyout bryzgalov and mez... trade briere for a mid-round pick... pray for the first pick and draft jones... trade schenn,schenn+ matt read for the 2nd pick and draft drouin... trade couturier and a 2nd rounder for the 5 or 6th pick and draft darnell nurse... offer simmonds,cobourn,picks for bernier...trade hartnell for younger NHL ready body...the start of a proper rebuild

build around
giroux,voracek,drouin,laughton,jones,nurse,rinaldo ,mcginn,
bernier... draft top 5 in 2014 draft... enjoy the fruits of a proper rebuild in 2015 and on

Old
03-29-2013, 07:24 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsiev2 View Post
the plan: buyout bryzgalov and mez... trade briere for a mid-round pick... pray for the first pick and draft jones... trade schenn,schenn+ matt read for the 2nd pick and draft drouin... trade couturier and a 2nd rounder for the 5 or 6th pick and draft darnell nurse... offer simmonds,cobourn,picks for bernier...trade hartnell for younger NHL ready body...the start of a proper rebuild

build around
bernier... draft top 5 in 2014 draft... enjoy the fruits of a proper rebuild in 2015 and on
EA Sports... It's in the game.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:

build around
Followed by trade Jones, Drouin, and Nurse in two years when they struggle for top 5 picks all over again.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:

build around
You can trade or waive Mez without using a buyout. Try to trade Briere, should he get healthy, for a 1st round pick to the Bruins. Have plans for the 1st round pick, whether it be using it, or packaging it for a significant upgrade elsewhere. No way you trade both Schenns and Read for 1 player who hasn't taken a shift in the NHL. Not sure what team would want Couts and a 2nd for a pick just to get Nurse. I understand trying to trade for Bernier, but that price seems steep. I would rather shop around. Nor would I trade Hartnell, who is fine. Flyers should be throwing a lot of promises to DeKeyser.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
potsiev2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
EA Sports... It's in the game.

even in EA sports no team would sign bryzgalov to 9 year 52 million $ deal... anyways, it may be a pipe dream but this team needs to make some bold decisions to right the ship... and they have pieces

Old
03-29-2013, 11:05 AM
deftones1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by deftones1986 View Post
I have a dream:

2013 offseason:

Keep

Forwards:
Giroux, Hartnell, B. Schenn, Simmonds, Voraceck.

Defense:
L. Schenn, Grossman, Timonen, Coburn (because of his NTC if he doesn't waive it)

Buyout Bryz and Briere.

Let Free Agents go.

Trade everybody else for draft picks and a goalie. (Including Coburn if he waives)

Sign UFA LW Damien Brunner from Detroit.

Bring up as many players as we can that are in the farm that we think are ready.

Draft Seth Jones #1.

Play hockey for a year.

2014 offseason

Resign Timonen for cheap, if not...cya later old dog.

Sign the Sedins from UFA status.

Now we really are the city of brotherly love.

Play a year and WIN THE CUP.

The End.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I actually "loled" at signing the Sedins. Well played.
I don't see how any of this can't be done, actually in my opinion, it all depends on what you sign Giroux for and the only long shot would be getting the Sedins to say no to Vancouver.

Hopefully in the next 2 years the Canucks will really be falling apart and they will want to jump ship as free agents.

With the guys I chose to keep we would be able to afford them because by that time Timonens cap hit will be gone, and through trading away all of the players who's contracts are up, replacing them with AHL prospects will keep the teams costs low.

It's really not that far fetched because the twins gotta sign somewhere don't they, we just have to pray for a horrible Canucks collapse by then.

Last edited by deftones1986: 03-29-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 11:18 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Trade Couturier + 2nd for Gormley + 1st
Trade Hartnell for Beaulieu + 1st
Trade Coburn + 3rd for Rattie + 1st

rest of season
Knuble - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Gagne
Wellwood - Read - McGinn
Rinaldo - Talbot - Noebels

Timonen - Schenn
Grossmann - Gormley
Lauridsen - Beaulieu

Draft:
2nd overall: Seth Jones
18th overall (phx): Anthony Mantha
24th overall (mtl): Ryan Hartman

Buyout Bryzgalov
Buyout Briere
Trade Meszaros in the offseason for a 1st in 2014
Sign Jimmy Howard
Sign Maxim Lapierre
Re-Sign Gagne for cheap

Simmonds - Giroux - Voracek
Gagne - Schenn - Rattie/Mantha
McGinn - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Lapierre - Talbot

Timonen - Jones
Grossmann - Gormley
Beaulieu - Schenn

Howard
?????

Old
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
even in EA sports no team would sign bryzgalov to 9 year 52 million $ deal... anyways, it may be a pipe dream but this team needs to make some bold decisions to right the ship... and they have pieces
Giving up a top 6 winger, a potential #1C, and a top 4 defender for a draft prospect isn't a "bold decision", it's a stupid one, and it certainly isn't going to "right the ship". Drouin is a nice prospect, but he's not a generational talent. He's of comparable skill to a Taylor Hall or a Tyler Seguin, or an RNH. One team has 2 of those 3 players on it and they're still going to finish near the bottom of the league. The key to success is DEPTH and your trade ideas would kill ours. And that's even assuming all the prospects you acquire work out. God forbid one of them busts, you've just ruined this team.

He's not Crosby. He's not Lindros. He's not Stamkos. He's not Tavares. He is totally unproven.

Your "plan" shows no critical thought whatsoever. If you're over the age of 16, you should be somewhat embarrassed. Your "plan" is ripped right out of a video game.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Keep Knuble?

Old
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
WeekendAtBernies

The amount of people who are in favor of trading productive top-6 forwards and top-4 defensemen for a ~10% (and I'm being generous) chance at acquiring an all star / ~25% (and I'm being generous) chance of acquiring an equally productive or better player in the last 15 picks of the draft is kind of humorous to me.

I mean I know this is a forum about the "future", but I still expect people to be reasonable...

Old
03-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Anyone else think that our depth at center would behoove us to see what we can get for Laughton? I like the kid a lot but he's probably our best asset right now not playing in the NHL besides our pick this year. What could we realistically get in return for someone like him?

Old
03-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
Anyone else think that our depth at center would behoove us to see what we can get for Laughton? I like the kid a lot but he's probably our best asset right now not playing in the NHL besides our pick this year. What could we realistically get in return for someone like him?
I think you have to keep laughton as plan b for schenn. Right now he can be penciled in as a 3rd line center, but if schenn doesnt live up to expectations i could see laughton assuming that role.

Also with the new salary cap guys on their first contracts are going to be invaluable.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
daynus

i honestly

see a small # of changes. step 1, is briere gonna pass his medical by the trade deadline. a first for briere is pretty rich. a 2nd is more reasonable. step 2 trade mez and read. we cant resign read after next season, so get something while he has some value. step 3, try to set up as many picks in the first few rounds, without gutting the cupboard. then draft, jones,mac,drouin or nurse. and bpa for the other picks as well.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:19 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
see a small # of changes. step 1, is briere gonna pass his medical by the trade deadline. a first for briere is pretty rich. a 2nd is more reasonable. step 2 trade mez and read. we cant resign read after next season, so get something while he has some value. step 3, try to set up as many picks in the first few rounds, without gutting the cupboard. then draft, jones,mac,drouin or nurse. and bpa for the other picks as well.
Briere is way more valuable to a playoff team than Brendan Morrow, and he got a 1st round's pick value.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 50
Post-deadline

Now that we're clear of the trade deadline what are thoughts about how the roster will shape up?

I'm assuming Mason gets signed for less, around 1.5m. Rinaldo gets a small raise and Gus stays about the same to be the 7th D. With those 3 small moves it still leaves us without Gagne, Feds and Hall.

I'm not seeing a scenario that affords us to keep Briere and Mesz.

Briere would control his future to whether he accepts a trade or prefers to be bought out. He could likely make more money overall forcing an amnesty buyout and signing wherever he chooses vs. whoever would trade for him.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Now that we're clear of the trade deadline what are thoughts about how the roster will shape up?

I'm assuming Mason gets signed for less, around 1.5m. Rinaldo gets a small raise and Gus stays about the same to be the 7th D. With those 3 small moves it still leaves us without Gagne, Feds and Hall.

I'm not seeing a scenario that affords us to keep Briere and Mesz.

Briere would control his future to whether he accepts a trade or prefers to be bought out. He could likely make more money overall forcing an amnesty buyout and signing wherever he chooses vs. whoever would trade for him.
Re-sign Huskins. He will probably be the best 6/7 defenseman we've ever had.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Ryker

I don't think we need Huskins. He hasn't been bad, but Gervais and Gustafsson are on par with him, if not better.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:54 PM
ahthorne

The thing with Gervais is he's bad in any role, as a #6 or as a #3 like he's being used as now...

I'd like to see Gustafsson used in Meszaros' role for next season, and get a competent partner for him. Maybe Gustafsson - Schenn? Put Timonen and Coburn back together, and the Grossmann on the bottom pairing with a right-handed PMD unless the PMD is good enough to see minutes with Timonen.
I'd like that.

Closed Thread