HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Zatkoff Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Jeff Zatkoff Thread

we haven't talked a whole lot about Jeff Zatkoff on this forum. in fact, a cursory search reveals that there isn't a dedicated Zatkoff thread on this forum. only a few threads in the AHL section and one in the LA forum.

'The Goalie Guild' has recently released their ranking of the Top 100 goalie prospects. while their definition of what constitutes a prospect may be a little 'fast and loose' when compared to what passes at Hfboards the rankings are still interesting. their defintion is as follows:

Quote:
[The Goalie Guild founder Justin Goldman] defines a prospect as any goaltender that has started 25 NHL regular-season games or less and is under the age of 28.
our guy Jeff Zatkoff is ranked 15th as of March 22:

Quote:
Jeff alternated wins and losses in his first seven games this March, going 3-2-0
with a 2.27 GAA and .914 SV%, stopping 159 of 174 shots. Even though he only
has seven wins in his last 15 games, he has been posting just over a .920 SV%
i'm not sure what the future holds for Zatkoff as he's only signed for one more year, but it's nice to have a guy who projects as a legitimate NHL-caliber back-up in the pipeline. he has a history of posting solid regular season numbers in the AHL but the post-season hasn't been kind to him. here's hoping he can make a solid run with WBS.

here's a link to the goalie stats in the AHL if you want to compare his numbers to other names.

PS: for what it's worth, Chad Johnson is ranked 14th and recently traded Matt Hackett is ranked 13th.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:39 PM
radapex

vCash: 1150
Really like the Zatkoff signing right from the start. Heard nothing but rave reviews from folks who followed the Monarchs.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he got a 2-year deal. It gives the team a chance to give him a bump in pay and a promotion to backup if he proves himself worthy - which his AHL-best 1.99 GAA and solid .919 sv% suggest he has.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Good idea Crafton.

Definitely hope we extend the guy. First time in a long time we've had a legit G prospect in the AHL who is pretty close to making the jump / who might be able to play a few games here and there in a pinch without being a travesty. I trust LA's drafting more than ours when it comes to goalies. Drafted prety high for a goalie, too. I think this guy was a great under-the-radar pickup.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Sivek

Not that old for a goalie prospect and if you can put up back-to-back seasons of .920 save% on different teams in the AHL, you've earned a shot somewhere along the line to get your feet wet in the NHL. He's also got decent size and hasn't been an abomination handling the puck from what I've seen.

Goalie prospects have certainly taken a big step forward this year with the signing of Zatkoff and a strong season by Maguire at BU. Murray is hard to get a read on since his team played a rather fast-and-loose style most of the year, though it's a tad alarming that the back-up was a year younger and in his 1st season in the league and posted basically the same stats. Not that I'm writing him off or anything but I'm going to need to see a save% over .900 at some point before I put too much stock in his prospect status.

Last edited by Sivek: 10-11-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Malkinstheman

For most ofnthe season murrays team gave up over 30+ shots... not really his fault for having a save percentage lower than .900%. Although his weight concerns me.. 163 pounds being 6 feet 4..Yikes. Hopefully adds on to his frame during his extended off season as his team got elimated. Atleast he was pretty good in the playoffs..Highly touted goalie prospect has basically the same stats for the time he played as starter. But back on topic, i was extremely excited when we signed zatkoff, i really want to see him get even one game this season(canes maybe?)

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Burgs

IIRC Johnson didn't want to sign with us, and after 4 years of college would've been a UFA so Shero traded him to the Rangers six weeks before our draft rights to him expired. Turned a 5th round pick into another 5th round pick, unfortunately he drafted Andy Bathgate with it.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Wouldn't be adverse to giving him a game or two. I feel more confident with him than I do with Thiessen or was with Brent Johnson.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Good idea Crafton.

Definitely hope we extend the guy. First time in a long time we've had a legit G prospect in the AHL who is pretty close to making the jump / who might be able to play a few games here and there in a pinch without being a travesty. I trust LA's drafting more than ours when it comes to goalies. Drafted prety high for a goalie, too. I think this guy was a great under-the-radar pickup.
I think next season, he'll get a call-up and start a few if he plays the way he has been playing and then he will earn that extension. With Killeen gone and Thiessen now looking like he might be signed as maybe a 1B option to Zatkoff unless he gets a better offer elsewhere, the future back-up job to MAF is up for grabs and Zatkoff is definitely in the running.

Not that Killeen was ever in that running, he wasn't even worthy of a back-up job in the AHL.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:21 AM
UnrealMachine

He's our only NHL-caliber goalie prospect at the moment so hopefully we hang on to him as long as we can. Agreed that I'd like to see him get some NHL games next season if possible.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Malkinstheman

I think zatkoff plays as ealy as this season. Murray was signed to an ato, so once the baby pens clinch he will probably start a couple games for experience, which could cause zatkoff to be called up and start against weak teams/once we clinch.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Penkin

As if other GM's have not made mistakes regarding young prospects? For the most part Shero has been an excellent GM, including his signing of Zatkoff.

Penkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Some people have extraordinary 20/20 hindsight abilities and love to pick apart any move Shero makes, even ones that have no basis in criticism (like this move, which cost us nothing and greatly improved our AHL situation in goal.) Ignore the troll.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

He's pretty calm and steady, he's definitely one of those guys who you just feel comfortable with when he's in goal. It's also a night and day difference from him and Thiessen, because Thiessen is a small goalie who plays in a way that makes him even smaller, while Zatkoff has good size at 6'3 and uses it to challenge and cut down angles.

I think he'll be an NHLer at some point, hopefully it's here.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
He's pretty calm and steady, he's definitely one of those guys who you just feel comfortable with when he's in goal. It's also a night and day difference from him and Thiessen, because Thiessen is a small goalie who plays in a way that makes him even smaller, while Zatkoff has good size at 6'3 and uses it to challenge and cut down angles.

I think he'll be an NHLer at some point, hopefully it's here.
Good to know, and is he a hybrid or butterfly? So by calm and steady would you say he plays a game like vokoun, eating up every puck that comes towarrds him or more flexible..

Old
04-07-2013, 02:54 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

The only way Zatkoff plays this season or next season is an injury to Vokun or Fleury. Seriously people.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Good to know, and is he a hybrid or butterfly? So by calm and steady would you say he plays a game like vokoun, eating up every puck that comes towarrds him or more flexible..
I'd say he's more of a hybrid style goalie.

He's at his best when he's taking away a lot of the net and just letting pucks hit him, although I've seen him do some acrobatic stuff when he needs to. He won't wow you with a ton of highlight reel saves, because he's generally positioned well enough that he isn't scrambling. He's not flashy at all, just effective.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Hey there, Oilers fan here, just wondering about Zatkoff's projection? Does he have NHL-starter potential, or is he likely going to be a backup for the rest of his career?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Hey there, Oilers fan here, just wondering about Zatkoff's projection? Does he have NHL-starter potential, or is he likely going to be a backup for the rest of his career?
He'll be competing with Fleury for the starting job now that Vokoun is out. He's had a really great camp so far and should be a great pickup for your fantasy team.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:48 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
He'll be competing with Fleury for the starting job now that Vokoun is out. He's had a really great camp so far and should be a great pickup for your fantasy team.
1-0 with a 0.57 GAA and .980 Save%

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 03:25 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
1-0 with a 0.57 GAA and .980 Save%
0.57 GAA and .980 save% . . . I'd take that just for first shots in a game.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 03:44 AM
Honour Over Glory

Reading my post about Zatkoff before his playoff performance is cringe worthy...wth.

Old
09-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Reading my post about Zatkoff before his playoff performance is cringe worthy...wth.
fun thread to revisit. little did we know that Zatkoff was MAF's AHL doppelgänger.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:14 AM
UnrealMachine

I'd like to see him get an extended look early in the season. I don't think we need to sign a temporary relief goaltender. The Pens can pretty much go into cruise control during the regular season without fear of missing the playoffs. Shero signed Zatkoff and Harzell because he thought they had NHL potential. Time to find out for real instead of putting too much stock into a couple of AHL playoff series.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 10:47 AM
radapex

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
fun thread to revisit. little did we know that Zatkoff was MAF's AHL doppelgänger.
Well, that's apparently a big reason the Kings let him walk - a history of falling apart in the playoffs.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Honour Over Glory

So naturally, the Pens thought he would be a great fit.

You can't say Shero doesn't know this team and it's "style."