HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Kaberle will be back. He wasn't that bad this year.
Not a chance.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:11 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I don't think Tinordi is ready, especially in the playoff.
He's a big guy that plays a very simple game. He's ready.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I love these type of threads. We should have gotten someone, but no specific players are ever mentioned.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:21 PM
DJ Breadman

Drew Pinske is a solid 6 7 guy but he is not a 4th guy doesn't move well at all

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I am also confused by the DD extension when we have so many centers, but I'm hopeful DD can continue developing. I think he's more interesting to this team as a winger.
People were extremely confused by the drafting of Carey Price when we already had an all star goalie for the many years to come. You never know what happens. DD earned his place and contract against all odds. He is also the most vulnerable to lose them among all the rest.

BTW - I heard Tanguay was available for (another) first.

Sarcasm aside - and for the OP. It's not like Bergevin decided to stay put and do nothing. All reports confirm he was active in many of the trade races, until he decided the asked price was too high. Him not doing panic moves is very encouraging for our future.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:25 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
People were extremely confused by the drafting of Carey Price when we already had an all star goalie for the many years to come. You never know what happens. DD earned his place and contract against all odds. He is also the most vulnerable to lose them among all the rest.

BTW - I heard Tanguay was available for (another) first.

Sarcasm aside - and for the OP. It's not like Bergevin decided to stay put and do nothing. All reports confirm he was active in many of the trade races, until he decided the asked price was too high. Him not doing panic moves is very encouraging for our future.
The asking price is always going to be high you have to know that going in, it's like free agency, it's not really a good excuse, when has the asking price ever been low? You either decide your going to do something or you don't

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:27 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Drew Pinske is a solid 6 7 guy but he is not a 4th guy doesn't move well at all
And komisarek was?

Let Drewiskie shake off the rust, imho he's got the potential to be a bigger Gorges

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:28 PM
No Team Needed

When Timmins works his magic at the draft, threads like these will be forgotten like teardrops in rain.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:56 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

We still have Kaberle and Weber. If we really want a defensive defenseman Tinordi can do the job too. Diaz and Emelin will come back eventually. We are fine.

If healthy:
Subban-Gorges
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewisky
Kaberle
Weber
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Pateryn
St-Denis

Still not enough...?? Habs fans.. always complaining

HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
I love these type of threads. We should have gotten someone, but no specific players are ever mentioned.
So true,

He could have gotten Doughty on D and Getzlaf at C but hasve their gms cover halfc tghe cap....asll for a 5th....then I turned off my video game.

I have as hard time seeing any missteps. The Subban contract you say? And if he had caved and went long terrm, Subban could have strutted in, thumbed his nose and say...hery! Im the star. The bridge deal likely helped humble him a little to lead to him being more receptive to the coach.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:13 PM
SONTOULOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOllini View Post
1- DD was playing for the Kings, NHL's team with the most depth on D. He's more than potent to play 20min a game.

2- Regher is old. If I have the choice I much prefer the DD's value over Regher's.
3 Years difference makes him old?? Theres a reason why DD wouldn't make the cut in LA....he can't hit, & he's very soft. RR is a much better D. Good luck with DD

SONTOULOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontos View Post
3 Years difference makes him old?? Theres a reason why DD wouldn't make the cut in LA....he can't hit, & he's very soft. RR is a much better D. Good luck with DD
Thanks, ill take DD to play 3rd pairing, likely resign cheap and play a team 1st role, than pay two 2nds for a guy who, while more proven, likely will walk away, and may play as little a role as DD will.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontos View Post
DD is a fill-in, a capable fill-in, and he came (very timely for the Bruins game) for a 5th rounder. Reghier would have come at greater cost. The Kings can shove their great defensive corps up their folded inner tubes because they aren't going anywhere this playoff season.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 04-07-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Andy

Bergevin's only mistake was the bridge contract with Subban. Aside from that, there is very little to complain about.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
This is an awesome post. One of the most well thought/reasoned posts I have seen on HF. Kudos to you.

Excellent post also. Actually, this really didn't occur to me but after signing Kristo how many contracts do we have?

My thought upon seeing the thread name was I hope some person doesn't complain about Bergy not being a seer and prophet. The same thread could have been created and asked whether we should have gone out and traded for a Number 1C after Pleks' groin injury.

Luongo didn't occur to me because after all we have Budaj - who is better than Price because Price doesn't steal games for us
great post my friend , we have 4 picks in the the first 2 rounds in a solid draft

great move by not dealing 2 seconds for a depth D , when Dreweskie`s can be had for a 5th

DD totallly agree with you. We have 3 better centers right now , a waste of a contract , and now one was going to pay stupid money for a RFA and risk draft pick compensation

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
We still have Kaberle and Weber. If we really want a defensive defenseman Tinordi can do the job too. Diaz and Emelin will come back eventually. We are fine.

If healthy:
Subban-Gorges
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewisky
Kaberle
Weber
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Pateryn
St-Denis

Still not enough...?? Habs fans.. always complaining
next year Diaz is likely gone for more money elsewhere , Cube is entering last year, Kabbie will be amnestied , Weber is trash and gone , St.Denis couldnt play with you young chaps in a beer league , so Tinordi , Nathan , Pateryn will play bigger roles . Not sure if DD will stick around as well

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
When Timmins works his magic at the draft, threads like these will be forgotten like teardrops in rain.
Exactly.

After the high of the draft, they will be the first person to say "I knew we should've kept those picks!!"

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
next year Diaz is likely gone for more money elsewhere , Cube is entering last year, Kabbie will be amnestied , Weber is trash and gone , St.Denis couldnt play with you young chaps in a beer league , so Tinordi , Nathan , Pateryn will play bigger roles . Not sure if DD will stick around as well
I think he meant for this season.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:22 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
His acquisitions up to the deadline have been great. I have no problems with them.
We talk about the lose of Emelin and the lack of a quality #4 D to replace him in hindsight but that's really unfair.
What do we do if Pleks gets injured and is out for the year? Do we have someone to take over? (Eller isn't quite ready for that yet.).
What do we do if Price goes down for the year? Budaj is an excellent backup but I wouldn't want to go into the playoffs with him as our goalie.
What happens if Subban goes down?
If Markov goes down?
If Patches goes down?
Etc. etc.
We don't have replacements for them.
Is Bergevin supposed to have made trades to make sure 'Everyone' is covered with a replacement? How was he supposed to have known to make a trade for a D in case Emelin goes down?
The answer is he couldn't even if he wanted too.
What he did was pick up some depth in areas where he saw would need help. And he has done a wonderful job at doing so.
You can only bring in players to strengthen your weakness before the trade deadline and then pray to God that you don't have any major injuries to your main core during the playoffs, not bring in players 'just in case' ANY of your healthy core players get hurt. No one has the resources to have a full replacement lineup for all your important players.

So no, it wasn't a mistake not to bring in a replacement #4 D to replace a healthy (before the deadline) Emelin.
Those bolded guys, there is no 'cheap' way to insure their loss, those are core players that if they go down with injury will hurt us badly.

Bergevin did move a 5th round to pick up a #6/#7 dman, so he did see a need for dman depth. I just think he should have spent a 2nd or 3rd and gotten a #4 depth dman... not a hugh price to pay but a HUGE difference on our blueline for the playoffs.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Frankenheimer

Where do you stick your number 4 depth defensman if not in the lineup? You don't keep him in the stands. A depth guy is someone that's plausibly sitting in the stands a few games and those guys are not number 4s. People seem to think we can have duplicates of players waiting on the side or something.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

I think he played it smart - we're a lock to make the playoffs. We should be able to count on at least one of Emelin, Diaz, or Weber getting healthy. We've given Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn a chance to get their feet wet so they can be ready if called on. He picked up some insurance in Drewiski and we have a wildcard in our pocket with Kaberle if needed. We even have St. Denis. I think Bergevin deserves kudos for hanging on to out picks and providing himself with options going into the playoffs.

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I don't think Tinordi is ready, especially in the playoff.
well anyone who says he is ready must apply an horoscope-based reasoning. He hasn't been convincing, his first pass makes him a perfect candidate to be a turnover machine in the playoffs imho.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Where do you stick your number 4 depth defensman if not in the lineup? You don't keep him in the stands. A depth guy is someone that's plausibly sitting in the stands a few games and those guys are not number 4s. People seem to think we can have duplicates of players waiting on the side or something.
That's the problem with MB, he's not on the forefront of cloning technology. He should watch the movie Moon and assign Rick Dudley to the dossier.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if we're looking to point out mistakes... not signing Subban to a multi-year contract in the ~5M$ range was/is his biggest mistake thus far.
I disagree. Two years at a discounted price for Subban is gold, especially with the Cap going down next year. When Subban's contract is up, so will Markov's...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Punkeater

He got Drewiske and Weber is now ready to play, Diaz will probably follow in a week or two. Tinordi could step up and Beaulieu too. I like what he did at the trade deadline. Kept our picks, being responsible and we'll probably have an hell of a draft again this year. Before the season I thought the future looked bright for the team. Galchenyuk and Gallagher stepped up faster than I thought and we still have a bunch of good prospects incoming too + this 2013 draft.

This is the way you build a team.

Last edited by Punkeater: 04-07-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Wrote "at the draft" instead of "trade dealine"
Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote